Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: George Mason
Bookmark and Share
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I saw Mason fell short in the CBI finals. Looking at the box score I saw this amazing stat.

Attendance 2,440 for the Championship deciding game 3.

This was after

1,280 showed up 2 days ago for the first game of the series which could have been an elimination game and about 4 days to sell tickets.

For perspective Weber State put 10,700 in the CIT finals. During the brodcast the president of the CIT said the tournys total attendance was about 5k a game. Mason has got to be the biggest joke of a fanbase on the planet not to support their program better than that if nothing else for the seniors last game or to try to help their team rally to win something. They built nothing on their final 4.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 01:59 PM by StillJonesing.)
04-06-2013 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

RE: OT: George Mason
nb4 moved to smack
04-06-2013 01:08 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
George Mason basketball has been on a sharp decline since their Final 4 run. Their attendance has been abysmal, and their administration allowed Jim Larranaga to get away because of a lack of administrative support and commitment to the basketball program.
04-06-2013 01:12 PM
Clueless Economist Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the underdog
Re: OT: George Mason
There are no seniors on the team and it is the CBI. Only loser schools with no NCAA wins would actually care about non-NCAA post season play.
04-06-2013 01:25 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
04-06-2013 01:33 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-06-2013 01:25 PM)Clueless Economist Wrote:  There are no seniors on the team and it is the CBI. Only loser schools with no NCAA wins would actually care about non-NCAA post season play.

How much bigger of a loser program does Mason look like to still draw flys after they have had success. Absolutely nothing was built on that final 4 since. I see people mention them as a basketball only add on these boards and they are clueless.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 02:08 PM by StillJonesing.)
04-06-2013 02:01 PM
Advertisement

MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(04-06-2013 02:01 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Absolutely nothing was built on that final 4 since.

I think most GMU fans would be in agreement, SJ. And under their breathe, recognize that VCU is maxing out.

With the activity fees that should be yieded from the size of that school (GMU has over 32,000 students) and no football expenses, it is rather surprising that they were unable to make the minimum requirements that Larranaga was promised.

Remember that he stayed there five full years after the Final Four, too.
04-06-2013 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

In fairness apparently the 1200 was at some other gym because the arena was being used, still this is bad, bad, bad support on a friday night for a final game for a team that still won 22 games. I'm not completely convinced VCU's support would hold up either 5 years down the line if Smart moved on. They were doing like about 5k before the last few years. I think ODU has the best fanbase out of the 3.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 04:15 PM by StillJonesing.)
04-06-2013 04:10 PM
Bench Warmer

Re: RE: OT: George Mason
(04-06-2013 02:01 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 01:25 PM)Clueless Economist Wrote:  There are no seniors on the team and it is the CBI. Only loser schools with no NCAA wins would actually care about non-NCAA post season play.

How much bigger of a loser program does Mason look like to still draw flys after they have had success. Absolutely nothing was built on that final 4 since. I see people mention them as a basketball only add on these boards and they are clueless.

You are aware that Mason has advanced to the round of 32 since the Final Four? And ECU still has never won an NCAA Tournament game. Ever

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
04-06-2013 04:14 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Sure you guys have had success but you clearly have built nothing on it. Why any player or coach with real options would want to go there with that kind of apathy is beyond me, and I doubt you see as many going there in the future with the apathy around your program. We had 500 fans show up at the airport at 4:30 AM in the middle of the week. If you go to a Final 4 and like 5 or 6 years later can't get 2500 fans out on a friday night to cheer on a 22 win team playing for any championship just says everything about where that program is going. You guys deserve dogging.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 04:49 PM by StillJonesing.)
04-06-2013 04:46 PM
Bench Warmer

Re: RE: OT: George Mason
(04-06-2013 04:46 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Sure you guys have had success but you clearly have built nothing on it. Why any player or coach with real options would want to go there with that kind of apathy is beyond me, and I doubt you see as many going there in the future with the apathy around your program. We had 500 fans show up at the airport at 4:30 AM in the middle of the week. If you go to a Final 4 and like 5 or 6 years later can't get 2500 fans out on a friday night to cheer on a 22 win team playing for any championship just says everything about where that program is going. You guys deserve dogging.

Whatever man. Congrats on whatever it was that got your fans out at 4:30.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
04-06-2013 05:01 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(04-06-2013 04:10 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  In fairness apparently the 1200 was at some other gym because the arena was being used, still this is bad, bad, bad support on a friday night for a final game for a team that still won 22 games. I'm not completely convinced VCU's support would hold up either 5 years down the line if Smart moved on. They were doing like about 5k before the last few years. I think ODU has the best fanbase out of the 3.

I agree about VCU and ODU.

ODU still averaged like 6500 this year despite winning only 5 games. I doubt that was butts in seats, but still impressive. Means they have a lot of season ticket holders.

Of all the schools in CUSA, I feel like ODU will grow into the most successful athletic department in time.
04-06-2013 06:24 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(04-06-2013 12:08 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  I saw Mason fell short in the CBI finals. Looking at the box score I saw this amazing stat.

Attendance 2,440 for the Championship deciding game 3.

This was after

1,280 showed up 2 days ago for the first game of the series which could have been an elimination game and about 4 days to sell tickets.

For perspective Weber State put 10,700 in the CIT finals. During the brodcast the president of the CIT said the tournys total attendance was about 5k a game. Mason has got to be the biggest joke of a fanbase on the planet not to support their program better than that if nothing else for the seniors last game or to try to help their team rally to win something. They built nothing on their final 4.

It could be worse. You could go to 2 national title games, 5 Final Fours and be one of the most beloved, influential programs in the history of the game and still draw peanuts when not winning.
04-06-2013 07:07 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(04-06-2013 06:24 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 04:10 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  In fairness apparently the 1200 was at some other gym because the arena was being used, still this is bad, bad, bad support on a friday night for a final game for a team that still won 22 games. I'm not completely convinced VCU's support would hold up either 5 years down the line if Smart moved on. They were doing like about 5k before the last few years. I think ODU has the best fanbase out of the 3.

ODU still averaged like 6500 this year despite winning only 5 games. I doubt that was butts in seats, but still impressive. Means they have a lot of season ticket holders.

Of all the schools in CUSA, I feel like ODU will grow into the most successful athletic department in time.

ODU reported 6500 average. In reality, they were under 1/2 that for most games.
04-07-2013 09:52 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-06-2013 07:07 PM)Caltex2 Wrote:  It could be worse. You could go to 2 national title games, 5 Final Fours and be one of the most beloved, influential programs in the history of the game and still draw peanuts when not winning.

Your last final 4 was 30 years ago though. We are talking pretty recently for Mason. With the SWC breaking up their are reasons you guys dropped a notch as well although any school with 40k people and a city as big as that should be doing better as well IMO.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 11:16 AM by StillJonesing.)
04-07-2013 11:15 AM
oasispirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
George Mason was competitive prior to Laranaga and they have never built a fanbase there. I've been to the Patriot center before, it's probably to big for their program. GMU has always been a commuter school, difficult to build fans that way. I kind of wish we would get these guys and many of our old CAA rivals back on the schedule.
04-07-2013 11:35 AM
Advertisement

monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-07-2013 09:52 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

Season tickets. And even with butts in the seats, I'm sure we still outnumbered the majority of the league.

We just have a great fanbase.
04-07-2013 11:51 AM
oasispirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(04-07-2013 11:51 AM)monarchman Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 09:52 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

Season tickets. And even with butts in the seats, I'm sure we still outnumbered the majority of the league.

We just have a great fanbase.

You do, but GMU is in a pro area and ODU is not. Also despite the final 4 I don't think there is any question ODU has a better tradition in hoops.

I would also say ODU has had more to cheer about in other sports. Your women's basketball program has been a national player for most of the last 30 years and baseball has had it's moments.

What else has GMU had? Strong track and soccer, both of which are off most fans radars.
04-07-2013 12:08 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
sigh
04-07-2013 02:32 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
While I understand the point, it is the CBI. Hard to get pumped about the CBI when you went to the final four less than a decade ago, IMO. Mason fans tend to be pretty fickle, anyway. They were a dime a dozen during run and the year after. Not too many around, now. Admittedly, more than they had before the final four.
04-07-2013 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.