Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do you go to away games?
Bookmark and Share
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Do you go to away games?
With all of the new additions the thought of visiting fans at Marshall crossed my mind. The old C-USA was so far flung we might only have 15-20 visiting fans come to some of our games.

I was curious if we could expect WKU, MTSU, Old Dominion to bring significantly more fans to Huntington? I'm also curious about Charlotte but there's really no history to judge away game attendance on.
04-05-2013 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Do you go to away games?
I definitely plan on traveling to all the away games at ODU, Marshall, WKU, MTSU, and UAB. Anything further will be a crapshoot.

The first 2 years I plan on being at every game but the furthest we have to travel is ODU or Morhead State.
04-05-2013 08:47 AM
ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Yes... last year I went to...

-All 6 ECU home games
-ECU @ South Carolina
-ECU @ North Carolina
-New Orleans Bowl @ ULL

This year I'm going to ECU @ Marshall.
04-05-2013 08:50 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(04-05-2013 08:35 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  With all of the new additions the thought of visiting fans at Marshall crossed my mind. The old C-USA was so far flung we might only have 15-20 visiting fans come to some of our games.

I was curious if we could expect WKU, MTSU, Old Dominion to bring significantly more fans to Huntington? I'm also curious about Charlotte but there's really no history to judge away game attendance on.

At a minimum I think you can count on several hundred Charlotte fans (unless we're having a really terrible year).
04-05-2013 08:59 AM
Blue Raider Dave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tenn
(04-05-2013 08:35 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  With all of the new additions the thought of visiting fans at Marshall crossed my mind. The old C-USA was so far flung we might only have 15-20 visiting fans come to some of our games.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well MT fans travel. We'll make you some money 03-wink
04-05-2013 09:20 AM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Personally, I live for MT roadtrips. Last year I did...

@ Memphis
@ Georgia Tech (fun night, let me tell you)
@ Mississippi State
@ WKU
@ South Alabama
@ Arkansas State

I've been to FAU twice as well as all of the former SBC schools except for UNT and FIU. I'm planning on making the trip to UAB and USM this season, as well as UNC and possibly BYU.

I think MT brings a few grand to Marshall next year. I think it'll be a great trip, especially if it's early on in the season.
04-05-2013 09:29 AM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

(04-05-2013 09:29 AM)MTowho Wrote:  I think MT brings a few grand to Marshall next year. I think it'll be a great trip, especially if it's early on in the season.

Awesome. I think the eastern division will be pleased with how Marshall fans travel as well.

It's just more fun to have a lot of visiting fans come to your game. IMO.
04-05-2013 09:37 AM
TJo627 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WKU
Guaranteed Travel to:
Marshall
MTSU
UAB
S Miss

Good Chance of Travel to:
ODU
UNCC
FAU
FIU

BUT the travel I'm looking forward to the most (PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN)....the CUSA basketball tourney in Nashville! Man, I hope this happens. just between WKU and MTSU fans we'll have a good crowd but when you factor in the other schools with their traditions and support it could be a great location.
04-05-2013 10:00 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

Yes Nashvillle would be rocking even if our team was not having a great season....I know I am holding out hope we have conf. bball tourney there in 2017..Has the conf. announced where conf. basketball tournament will be located in 2015 and 2016 yet? I will be at Marshall game and I am sure a lot of Lexington area WKU alumni will be too....Hard to predict a number but I am sure WKU will be well represented and will definately have more than 20 fans there for sure...
04-05-2013 10:07 AM
Zaphod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rationality
I will say that MTSU had the best contingent of the Sun Belt teams I've seen in the Motor City Bowl/Pizza Bowl. The crowd this year was awful, but a lot of that had to do with low CMU interest and poor local turnout. The WKU crowd was halfway decent although I expected more. I did enjoy the WKU fan who tried to start a fight with me for no obvious reason. OK, he was drunk. That's a reason.

FAU/FIU were not impressive, but sending Florida teams to Michigan for a bowl is not impressive.
04-05-2013 10:08 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(04-05-2013 10:08 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  I will say that MTSU had the best contingent of the Sun Belt teams I've seen in the Motor City Bowl/Pizza Bowl. The crowd this year was awful, but a lot of that had to do with low CMU interest and poor local turnout. The WKU crowd was halfway decent although I expected more. I did enjoy the WKU fan who tried to start a fight with me for no obvious reason. OK, he was drunk. That's a reason.

FAU/FIU were not impressive, but sending Florida teams to Michigan for a bowl is not impressive.

I thought I read where we had just as many fans as what MTSU brought? Not bad considering most drove in a blizzard and barely got to kickoff in time..
04-05-2013 10:10 AM
Advertisement

cocky Offline
1st String

I used to go to MAC games. Never gone to an away game in CUSA. Might go to WKU though, maybe Charlotte/ODU too.
04-05-2013 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RedParallax Offline
Special Teams

While I don't live in the Huntington tri-state area anymore, I plan on attending most of the following games this coming season:

@ Virginia Tech
@ Middle Tennessee
@ Tulsa
@ FAU
@ FIU
vs East Carolina

I will 100% be at the Virginia Tech and ECU games, almost certainly be at either FAU or FIU, but the Tulsa and Middle Tennessee games will depend on a few personal factors in scheduling.

Going forward, I'll have strong interest in getting to Marshall away games at Charlotte, Western Kentucky and Old Dominion. I wouldn't mind taking a long weekend with the wife in Texas for the North Texas, UTEP and/or UTSA away games, either.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 10:26 AM by RedParallax.)
04-05-2013 10:26 AM
Zaphod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rationality
(04-05-2013 10:10 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 10:08 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  I will say that MTSU had the best contingent of the Sun Belt teams I've seen in the Motor City Bowl/Pizza Bowl. The crowd this year was awful, but a lot of that had to do with low CMU interest and poor local turnout. The WKU crowd was halfway decent although I expected more. I did enjoy the WKU fan who tried to start a fight with me for no obvious reason. OK, he was drunk. That's a reason.

I thought I read where we had just as many fans as what MTSU brought? Not bad considering most drove in a blizzard and barely got to kickoff in time..

The stadium was near capacity with CMU fans when MTSU came, and they out cheered the CMU crowd. It was closer to even when WKU came both in attendance and volume, but WKU fans were more spread out. I know weather was a factor. There were a lot of WKU fans getting there late. I appreciate everyone who did make it.
04-05-2013 10:27 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
I do. It's one of my favorite things to do. I was at the USM-UAB game where Ruben Studdard sang. I was also at the USM-Tulane game in 1998 (Superdome) and another USM-Tulane game at the Dome. My wife was at the USM-Tulane game played in City Park, probably pulling for the wrong team. Somehow I missed that one.

I can't remember any other regular season road games, but I also go to most of our bowl games. I saw our basketball team play UH in Biloxi a few years ago, too. That was fun.
04-05-2013 10:37 AM
PirateTreasureNC Online
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
I do try to go to at least one road game a year. But due to distance the only conference road games I have done have been Marshall and UCF.

I liked Marshall better for football atmosphere but UCF had Universal Studios and what not in the area so....

If I had had the money I was seriously considering a UTEP road game. I kind of wanted to do So Miss as well.
04-05-2013 10:46 AM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Online
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
FAU and FIU just dont travel well. Normally we dont have "Close" away games to travel to except for each other. By close I mean withing 5 hours drive. FAU is lucky this year in that two of our OOC games are UM and USF. I would imagine 1500 or so would make USF, and probably 2K to Miami.

We were not brought into CUSA for our fanbase or ticket sales. We're in it because of our market and recrutiting hotbeds. Just calling a spade a spade
04-05-2013 11:13 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I went to every MSU vs USM game back in the '80's...drove 100 mph to get to one them in a Mazda GLC hatchback...yeah, I was young.

Regarding the conference other than some UAB and almost every Tulane game, my only other one was last year at Rice. I know...call me stupid for going to that one.

I am definitely making a trip to Ruston soon.
04-05-2013 11:29 AM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
i'll go to la tech, due to shreveport and a new destination for me

will probably make tulsa...it's somewhat close...
04-05-2013 11:42 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
(04-05-2013 11:13 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  FAU and FIU just dont travel well. Normally we dont have "Close" away games to travel to except for each other. By close I mean withing 5 hours drive. FAU is lucky this year in that two of our OOC games are UM and USF. I would imagine 1500 or so would make USF, and probably 2K to Miami.

We were not brought into CUSA for our fanbase or ticket sales. We're in it because of our market and recrutiting hotbeds. Just calling a spade a spade

I have every intention of making it to both the FAU and FIU games. Went to all but one of the UCF games, and also made the trip to Miami a few years ago when MU played (Interesting word, considering the whupping) MIami. Also saw the Herd play FIU in the BoB Bowl in St. Pete, but that's a home game for me. Glad to have you both in the league.
04-05-2013 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.