UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mackin to be on 94.5 SAMS at 12:30
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Mackin to be on 94.5 SAMS at 12:30
To discuss conference expansion and dealing with head coaches (Rutgers situation)
04-03-2013 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Re: Mackin to be on 94.5 SAMS at 12:30
We love our conference. CUSA has been a good home for us. We are dedicated to the future of CUSA and have several fine schools joining us.
04-03-2013 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
RE: Mackin to be on 94.5 SAMS at 12:30
(04-03-2013 12:00 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  We love our conference. CUSA has been a good home for us. We are dedicated to the future of CUSA and have several fine schools joining us.
Discussing conference affiliation is a losing proposition. I would suggest avoiding that questions, Mr. Mackin.
04-03-2013 12:31 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(04-03-2013 12:00 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  We love our conference. CUSA has been a good home for us. We are dedicated to the future of CUSA and have several fine schools joining us.

Oh, brother. Nobody is knocking on the door.
04-03-2013 12:36 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
What?, I don't expect an AD to say anything different. It would be irresponsible for him to say "We really want to be in the Big East".
04-03-2013 12:38 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(04-03-2013 12:38 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  What?, I don't expect an AD to say anything different. It would be irresponsible for him to say "We really want to be in the Big East".

Especially since that would mean we would have no home for the football team
04-03-2013 12:44 PM
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

(04-03-2013 12:36 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  

Oh, brother. Nobody is knocking on the door.

What do you want him to say.

I hate being stuck in this podunk conference!!! I'd be on the first red eye out of here if we get the call."

great way to stay in good graces with the people you are tied to for the moment. He can't say UAB is looking for anyway out, becuase then why should the conference do anything for us.

Its all politics and if you can't dance the dance you get lost in the music.
04-03-2013 12:49 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Mackin: "The reason we haven't moved is an economic issue and because we haven't been asked"

"We are very comfortable with where we are in the Conference USA"
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 12:49 PM by BeliefBlazer.)
04-03-2013 12:49 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(04-03-2013 12:49 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Mackin: "The reason we haven't moved is an economic issue and because we haven't been asked"

"We are very comfortable with where we are in the Conference USA"

Well KevMo there you go. can't get no more blunt than that.
04-03-2013 12:51 PM
hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

His economics argument makes sense. Why pay millions in exit fees and more millions in entrance fees to the new league when it's so unstable and will probably blow up again in the next couple of years?

Meanwhile us and USM can sit and collect all the exit fee money paid by the departing schools and concentrate on winning to improve our marketability for when the next wave comes.
04-03-2013 12:55 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

& if we start winning consistently in football & basketball leading to increased attendance, etc, then we are much more marketable for other conference moves.
04-03-2013 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-03-2013 12:55 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  His economics argument makes sense. Why pay millions in exit fees and more millions in entrance fees to the new league when it's so unstable and will probably blow up again in the next couple of years?

Meanwhile us and USM can sit and collect all the exit fee money paid by the departing schools and concentrate on winning to improve our marketability for when the next wave comes.

You can bet that two schools is not going to get all the money by themselves.

As far as not being asked, I wonder if Mackin knows what the word "proactive" means.
04-03-2013 01:26 PM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
(04-03-2013 01:26 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 12:55 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  His economics argument makes sense. Why pay millions in exit fees and more millions in entrance fees to the new league when it's so unstable and will probably blow up again in the next couple of years?

As far as not being asked, I wonder if Mackin knows what the word "proactive" means.

The exit fees will at least be split UAB, USM, UTEP, Marshall and Rice. I don't know if ECU, Tulane and Tulsa get a piece from the teams that are leaving this year (UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis.) Also, I don't know if the newcomers this year (FAU, FIU, UNT, UTSA) get a piece of the ECU, Tulane and Tulsa exit fees. I don't think ODU, Charlotte and WKU will get anything.

Does anyone know?
04-03-2013 01:40 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Who says he hasn't been proactive?

Who likes to bring up the time they asked the pretty girl out and got shot down?
04-03-2013 01:41 PM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

Mackin is gonna sit back and relax for the next 2 or 3 years and hope his basketball and football hires worked out. In the meantime, he could at least show some effort in improving the athletic facilities(excluding the on-campus stadium). I dont have a clue what he does behind the scenes, but the only time i hear about him is when Blazertalk makes me aware he has an interview on the radio.
04-03-2013 01:41 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2013 01:41 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Mackin is gonna sit back and relax for the next 2 or 3 years and hope his basketball and football hires worked out. In the meantime, he could at least show some effort in improving the athletic facilities(excluding the on-campus stadium). I dont have a clue what he does behind the scenes, but the only time i hear about him is when Blazertalk makes me aware he has an interview on the radio.

Trust us...when you're the UAB AD, that exactly how you want things to be. Ann Reynolds tried the "flipping tables" approach and had nothing to show for it. The Neil Callaway and Mike Davis hires were plagued by information leaks to the wrong people at the wrong times and it gave the appearance that UAB was being publicly denied/granted permission.

Brian Mackin has the people in place to do business his way, and if you extrapolate the way the football and basketball hires went with potential upcoming campus projects related to athletics and/or student life we are in very good hands.

I would say the same thing for Banowsky, actually. He's built a firewall out west where the only circumstance where the MWC is going to go after UTEP is in a cooperative move and - while the defectors spend their millions to do whatever it is they're doing, Banowsky has marginalized the Sunbelt nearly out of existence. When the nBE starts to crumble under its own weight and unfulfilled promises of Aresco and they need things to stabilize (FAST!) once the B1G/ACC/B12 go on the prowl, there's only one player in the East.

Anyone remember the Sunbelt squawk in 2011 about overtaking CUSA in the GoF? Don't hear that anymore...
04-03-2013 02:01 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2013 01:40 PM)HSV_BLAZER Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 01:26 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

The exit fees will at least be split UAB, USM, UTEP, Marshall and Rice. I don't know if ECU, Tulane and Tulsa get a piece from the teams that are leaving this year (UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis.) Also, I don't know if the newcomers this year (FAU, FIU, UNT, UTSA) get a piece of the ECU, Tulane and Tulsa exit fees. I don't think ODU, Charlotte and WKU will get anything.

Does anyone know?

I think once you give notice you are officially out, so none of ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, Houston, SMU, or Memphis benefit. The 2013 teams officially join July 1, 2013 so they don't benefit. So I would guess that UAB, USM, UTEP, Marshall, and Rice would technically be the remaining members(as you said), but I don't know how the money would be distributed. They could even work a side deal to change the split as the old Big East did/is doing. Much of the exit fees may be held to cover any TV or other money shortages. I suspect the entrance fees ($1M? each from FAU, FIU, UNT, UTSA, ODU, Charlotte and WKU) are paid into the conference coffers usually spread out over a few years.
04-03-2013 02:25 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
(04-03-2013 02:01 PM)blazr Wrote:  I would say the same thing for Banowsky, actually. He's built a firewall out west where the only circumstance where the MWC is going to go after UTEP is in a cooperative move and - while the defectors spend their millions to do whatever it is they're doing, Banowsky has marginalized the Sunbelt nearly out of existence. When the nBE starts to crumble under its own weight and unfulfilled promises of Aresco and they need things to stabilize (FAST!) once the B1G/ACC/B12 go on the prowl, there's only one player in the East.

Anyone remember the Sunbelt squawk in 2011 about overtaking CUSA in the GoF? Don't hear that anymore...
The "firewall" is the lack of value in moving to the MWC. If anything, Boise State built the firewall by getting a sweetheart deal from the MWC and preventing the other schools from profiting more.

The nBE won't collapse "under its own weight". What will happen is the ACC will collapse under internal struggles and external forces. Our last possible saving grace is to become a strong enough football and basketball power to appeal to the left-behinds in the ACC (Wake Forest, Duke, Miami, NC State) that we become more profitable to them then taking an ECU, and academically palatable enough.
04-03-2013 02:57 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
ACC gets raided, and either they grab the attractive bits of Conference WTF or they get absorbed by it. The various remainders will be looking for a home and we can maybe pick some of them off. Keep an eye out for the main chance.
04-03-2013 04:16 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-03-2013 01:41 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Mackin is gonna sit back and relax for the next 2 or 3 years and hope his basketball and football hires worked out. In the meantime, he could at least show some effort in improving the athletic facilities(excluding the on-campus stadium). I dont have a clue what he does behind the scenes, but the only time i hear about him is when Blazertalk makes me aware he has an interview on the radio.

You looked around campus lately? Track has a near new all purpose practice surface, although no home facilities. That's the biggest deficit I know of.

Softball, new field and clubhouse. Baseball, clubhouse and the new Barons field agreement. Soccer is on the campus plan. The football offices will come up next, and that leads into the OCS. The weight room is fine. The new athletic med/therapy is up, isn't it? Athletic/academic complex is new. Bartow is ok, I'd like to see some updates but its perfectly serviceable. Sand volleyball is up and running.

What facilities do you think Mackin should be concentrating on? Bowling alley and rifle range? He'll be looking for a WBB coach as his next priority hire. I think the rest is in pretty good shape.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 04:24 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
04-03-2013 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.