UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The difference between UAB & FGCU...
UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The difference between UAB & FGCU...
UAB kept its coach after its first Sweet 16 trip: USC Trojans hire FGCU head coach
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 10:40 PM by UABslant.)
04-01-2013 10:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: The difference between UAB & FGCU...
That is the most boneheaded hire in years. He had a good year, but jeez, wait and see if this year wasn't a fluke. Splash hires rather work.
04-01-2013 11:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

I disagree with "a fluke". FGCU had an exceptionally good team of basketball players. I do not think that they overachieved by advancing as far as they did. They had an outstanding point guard, good shooters, rebounders, and they were very athletic and fast on their feet. They were not even loaded with Seniors. Most of them were underclassmen.

I was disappointed to see that he decided to take on another coaching job. He, and his wife, decided to move to California. The money is probably three times more than what he was making at FGCU. The new job is much more challenging and in a much stronger conference.
04-02-2013 06:54 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(04-01-2013 11:48 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  That is the most boneheaded hire in years. He had a good year, but jeez, wait and see if this year wasn't a fluke. Splash hires rather work.

Rather work? Autocorrect?
04-02-2013 06:55 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(04-01-2013 10:38 PM)UABslant Wrote:  UAB kept its coach after its first Sweet 16 trip: USC Trojans hire FGCU head coach

Bartow accepted the Kentucky job at one point. The only reason he stayed was that the KY AD made a seriously ******* move and Gene decided he didn't want to work for someone like that
04-02-2013 06:58 AM
Advertisement

BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(04-02-2013 06:55 AM)bladhmadh Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 11:48 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  That is the most boneheaded hire in years. He had a good year, but jeez, wait and see if this year wasn't a fluke. Splash hires rather work.

Rather work? Autocorrect?

Autocorrect + not paying attention before hitting send = excuse of "Damn autocorrect!"
04-02-2013 07:08 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2013 06:54 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  I disagree with "a fluke". FGCU had an exceptionally good team of basketball players. I do not think that they overachieved by advancing as far as they did. They had an outstanding point guard, good shooters, rebounders, and they were very athletic and fast on their feet. They were not even loaded with Seniors. Most of them were underclassmen.

I was disappointed to see that he decided to take on another coaching job. He, and his wife, decided to move to California. The money is probably three times more than what he was making at FGCU. The new job is much more challenging and in a much stronger conference.

@ESPNAndyKatz: Enfield was making $157,000/year at FGCU. According to source USC deal "well over $1 million a year."
04-02-2013 07:18 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-02-2013 06:54 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  I disagree with "a fluke". FGCU had an exceptionally good team of basketball players. I do not think that they overachieved by advancing as far as they did. They had an outstanding point guard, good shooters, rebounders, and they were very athletic and fast on their feet. They were not even loaded with Seniors. Most of them were underclassmen.

You also thought Herb Harrison was a great basketball player and that Jordan Swing would be a better player if he got a haircut.

I didn't say he was a fluke. I said that he hasn't proven that he isn't a fluke. Arkansas hired Stan Heath based on his team getting hot during the tournament. How did that work out?
04-02-2013 07:31 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Quote:Arkansas hired Stan Heath based on his team getting hot during the tournament. How did that work out?

It gave UAB their interim coach and their recruiting class, leading to a nice NCAA run. I'd say it worked out pretty well for UAB.
04-02-2013 08:17 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Yeah, you have to be kidding with all of this FGCU love. I understand they were the hot team and went on a fantastic run, but the coach hasn't proven anything. This is the same FGCU that lost to Maine, ETSU, Lipscomb(twice) and Stetson this season.

I'm with MB on this one. You can't hire a coach based off of one hot run in a tournament. Let's not act like FGCU was 27-4 and ran through their conference(the 26th rated conference at that) undefeated. I don't blame the coach at all, because anytime you can raise your salary by at least 5x your previous salary, it probably is a pretty good time to go. I do think USC might regret this decision in a few years.
04-02-2013 08:18 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2

One category was a fluke
1) Sweet 16 run

Or

2) losing to Maine, Mercer, ETSU, Lipscomb (twice), Stetson

Perhaps you're right and those losses were flukes...but it seems like waiting to be sure would be a good idea

(And 9911 beat me to it)
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 09:16 AM by LairDweller.)
04-02-2013 08:31 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-02-2013 06:58 AM)bladhmadh Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 10:38 PM)UABslant Wrote:  UAB kept its coach after its first Sweet 16 trip: USC Trojans hire FGCU head coach

Bartow accepted the Kentucky job at one point. The only reason he stayed was that the KY AD made a seriously ******* move and Gene decided he didn't want to work for someone like that

Be that as it may, he never coached at Kentucky, and retired from UAB.
04-02-2013 09:12 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

I've never heard that he accepted the job, only that he was offered the job and Bartow said he wanted some time to think it over, but they wanted an immediate answer, them being Kentucky and all.
04-02-2013 09:39 AM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Yes, he accepted the Kentucky job verbally.
04-02-2013 09:58 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

One starts with a U and ends with an AB, the other starts with an F and ends with a GCU.
04-02-2013 10:01 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(04-02-2013 09:39 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I've never heard that he accepted the job, only that he was offered the job and Bartow said he wanted some time to think it over, but they wanted an immediate answer, them being Kentucky and all.

He accepted the job. The ad wanted to hold the press conference the next day. Bartow asked him to wait until he could tell the UAB family in person he was leaving. Th KY AD said no them Bartow said no way in hell I'm working for this asshat and went back to UAB
04-02-2013 10:04 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Was that when they hired Eddie Sutton instead?
04-02-2013 10:07 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(04-02-2013 10:04 AM)bladhmadh Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 09:39 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I've never heard that he accepted the job, only that he was offered the job and Bartow said he wanted some time to think it over, but they wanted an immediate answer, them being Kentucky and all.

He accepted the job. The ad wanted to hold the press conference the next day. Bartow asked him to wait until he could tell the UAB family in person he was leaving. Th KY AD said no them Bartow said no way in hell I'm working for this ****** and went back to UAB

Your story loses all credibility when you have Gene cursing.
04-02-2013 10:08 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
IIRC, Bartow had promised Dick Hill (?) that if he ever took another job, he would tell him in person. Hill promised Bartow he would sue him for breach of contract if he didn't.

Bartow said something along the lines of, "I was committed to keeping my promise to Dick, because I knew good and well he'd have kept his promise to me. (laugh)."

Bartow HAD accepted the job, but would not announce it publicly until he could tell Hill personally, which he could not do for a day or two.

Kentucky wanted to announce immediately, and would not wait. Coach basically told them, "Then I guess I'm not your guy."

Then UK announced Eddie Sutton.

Their loss. Our gain.
04-02-2013 10:31 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(04-02-2013 10:08 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 10:04 AM)bladhmadh Wrote:  

He accepted the job. The ad wanted to hold the press conference the next day. Bartow asked him to wait until he could tell the UAB family in person he was leaving. Th KY AD said no them Bartow said no way in hell I'm working for this ****** and went back to UAB

Your story loses all credibility when you have Gene cursing.

There were no quotes replace a$$hat with pompous individual if that makes you feel better. For clarification purposes the use of the term a$$hat was mine and mine alone
04-02-2013 01:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.