03-30-2013 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
RE: So James Madison to Sun Belt?
That's what it looks like.

Too bad. ODU, Charlotte, and Marshall could use a closer school in the conference.
03-30-2013 05:29 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and James Madison in the Sun Belt? Looks like men's soccer may be restored as a conference sport now...
03-30-2013 05:45 PM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
This JMU fan will not believe a single damn thing until I hear it from President Alger's mouth in our press conference. However, yes it's starting to look better than where we stood even a month ago. Thank you George Mason!
03-30-2013 05:55 PM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
(03-30-2013 05:29 PM)chess Wrote:  That's what it looks like.

Too bad. ODU, Charlotte, and Marshall could use a closer school in the conference.

it is in everyone's best long terms interests to come together in an east coast conference one day. that is if america 12 and/or cusa schools can get over the "lower perception" of the asu, ga so and jmu teams in the sun belt.
03-30-2013 05:56 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(03-30-2013 05:56 PM)Dukes09 Wrote:  

it is in everyone's best long terms interests to come together in an east coast conference one day. that is if america 12 and/or cusa schools can get over the "lower perception" of the asu, ga so and jmu teams in the sun belt.

Ive been saying that for a while. CUSA and the rest of the Sunbelt should have merged. Then there would be no real need to bring up more FCS schools and CUSA would have had 2 very geographically workable divisions--one in the east, and one in the west. However, there are certain lines that some schools will not allow to be crossed. So, because of that, we will continue to have not one, not two, but 3 overlapping non-AQ conferences. Two is pretty inefficient. Three is just a special kind of stupid.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 06:03 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-30-2013 05:59 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion

You've got to wonder if CUSA will eventually split into 2 leagues with a SW and SE focus to save travel.

03-idea
03-30-2013 06:00 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
I could see JMU going to the MAC as a football-only instead, and the Sun Belt taking Liberty as a fallback option.
03-30-2013 06:57 PM
billings Online
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(03-30-2013 06:57 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I could see JMU going to the MAC as a football-only instead, and the Sun Belt taking Liberty as a fallback option.

Liberty? OW

too bad NDSU is so far out of footprint
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 07:12 PM by billings.)
03-30-2013 07:01 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(03-30-2013 06:57 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I could see JMU going to the MAC as a football-only instead, and the Sun Belt taking Liberty as a fallback option.

would the CAA be okay with keeping JMU as a non-football member? seems kinda off.
03-30-2013 07:04 PM
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
CAA Football and the "all-sports" CAA are separate legal entities, so it's possible to withdraw from CAA Football without withdrawing from the CAA. I think the reverse is also true, meaning you can leave the CAA while keeping your football team in CAA Football.

Regardless, the CAA can't afford to play hardball anyway. They're down too many teams, and don't have quality replacements lined up. It's not a certainty whether even Stony Brook and Albany will be willing to move in.
03-30-2013 07:20 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(03-30-2013 07:04 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

would the CAA be okay with keeping JMU as a non-football member? seems kinda off.

With ODU, Georgia State and George Mason on the way out and only the College of Charleston coming in, the CAA is down to nine members in olympic sports. I don't see JMU being kicked out just because its football team moves up to FBS. That's not the same as moving football to another FCS conference.

From the MAC's perspective, there's no longer any immediate likelihood of UMass leaving for C-TBA, so it makes sense to bring aboard a 14th football member to balance divisions. I suspect Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette are lobbying for MAC invitations (as well as CUSA invitations) but they're further outside the MAC footprint and probably wouldn't settle for football-only membership. And adding JMU now positions the MAC to someday add schools like Delaware and Stony Brook if and when they desire to move up to FBS.
03-30-2013 07:21 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-30-2013 05:59 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Ive been saying that for a while. CUSA and the rest of the Sunbelt should have merged. Then there would be no real need to bring up more FCS schools and CUSA would have had 2 very geographically workable divisions--one in the east, and one in the west. However, there are certain lines that some schools will not allow to be crossed. So, because of that, we will continue to have not one, not two, but 3 overlapping non-AQ conferences. Two is pretty inefficient. Three is just a special kind of stupid.

What the heck, let's see what you get if you merge the BE FB holdovers with CUSA and SBC, excluding schools transitioning to FBS, and then divide into two divisions/conferences.

West: UTEP, SMU, UNT, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, La Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Memphis, MTSU, USM, Ark St

East: UConn, Temple, Marshall, Cincinnati, WKU, ECU, UAB, Troy, USA, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU

As a fan of one of those teams, do you like that alignment?
03-30-2013 07:22 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(03-30-2013 07:21 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

With ODU, Georgia State and George Mason on the way out and only the College of Charleston coming in, the CAA is down to nine members in olympic sports. I don't see JMU being kicked out just because its football team moves up to FBS. That's not the same as moving football to another FCS conference.

From the MAC's perspective, there's no longer any immediate likelihood of UMass leaving for C-TBA, so it makes sense to bring aboard a 14th football member to balance divisions. I suspect Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette are lobbying for MAC invitations (as well as CUSA invitations) but they're further outside the MAC footprint and probably wouldn't settle for football-only membership. And adding JMU now positions the MAC to someday add schools like Delaware and Stony Brook if and when they desire to move up to FBS.

Excellent point. It's amazing how well the MAC has maintained itself during this realignment period. Swapping UMass for Temple football, NIU reaching the Orange Bowl, they can't ask for too much more
03-30-2013 07:30 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(03-30-2013 07:22 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 05:59 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

What the heck, let's see what you get if you merge the BE FB holdovers with CUSA and SBC, excluding schools transitioning to FBS, and then divide into two divisions/conferences.

West: UTEP, SMU, UNT, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, La Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Memphis, MTSU, USM, Ark St

East: UConn, Temple, Marshall, Cincinnati, WKU, ECU, UAB, Troy, USA, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU

As a fan of one of those teams, do you like that alignment?

Well first off, you physically cant even have a 14 team division as NCAA rules require that you play every other team within your division. Assuming no OOC games, the best you could do is a 13 team division. Secondly, the idea is that CUSA has already essentially merged with the Sunbelt. My sugggestion is to simply take the other 4 teams. Why is that such a radical proposition? I suppose you could have two seperate conferences. But keep in mind you are mixing schools that have 30-50 millon dollar budgets with schools that have athletic budgets that are half that much. The merger Im thinking of would look something like this.

West: UTEP, UNT, Rice, La Tech, ULL, ULM, MTSU, Ark St, UTSA, N Texas

East: Marshall, WKU, UAB, Troy, USA, FAU, FIU, ODU, USM, Charlotte

Now, how is that so incredibly horrible and unfathonable? Which schools is it you find totally distasteful? Who is the awful fit? Most of these schools are going to be playing against one another anyway. These schools all have roughly compatible athletic budgets and exist within a pretty resonably tight footprint. Lots of driveable games in both divisions. It seems like a perfectly reasonable option that avoids the alternative---bringing up a slew of unecessary FCS schools.

If I were the other conferences, I'd even agree to set up the BCS non-AQ payout to pay conferences on an equal "per school" basis just so we wouldnt have to bring up any more FCS schools. Theres plenty of inventory and plenty of FBS schools. There is no shortage. We just need to organize things so nobody ends up homeless.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 07:53 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-30-2013 07:42 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(03-30-2013 07:30 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

Excellent point. It's amazing how well the MAC has maintained itself during this realignment period. Swapping UMass for Temple football, NIU reaching the Orange Bowl, they can't ask for too much more

It would be great if they asked Marshall to come back!
03-30-2013 07:42 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

MAC presidents are sensitive about adding weak football programs to the conference. From that perspective I can see Arkansas State moving to forefront of MAC expansion planning.
03-30-2013 07:56 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-30-2013 07:56 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  MAC presidents are sensitive about adding weak football programs to the conference.
And those that aren't are sensitive about adding weak BBall programs.

(03-30-2013 07:42 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  It would be great if they asked Marshall to come back!
They already asked Marshall to come back once ~ last time Marshall was in the MAC wasn't the first time it was in the MAC. And Marshall moved onto the CUSA from there.

Twice would be too much to expect.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 08:04 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-30-2013 08:02 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2013 08:02 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 07:56 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  MAC presidents are sensitive about adding weak football programs to the conference.
And those that aren't are sensitive about adding weak BBall programs.

The MAC doesn't care about weak football as long as the football is good (see Northern Illinois).
03-30-2013 08:19 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-30-2013 08:19 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  The MAC doesn't care about weak football as long as the football is good (see Northern Illinois).
You know, for a counter-example to be effective, it has to actually contradict the claim.

Pointing out that those Presidents who aren't as concerned about the quality of the football would want good quality basketball does not imply that a good football school that is a good institutional fit and reasonably close to the MAC footprint needs a good BBall program to get in ... so the NIU case doesn't contradict it.

But it would be a mistake to assume that the relative homogeneity of the core schools of the MAC means that the twelve Presidents (or for those Presidents that don't much care, the Athletic Directors) think in lockstep.
03-30-2013 08:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.