Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Today's Tulsa World Newspaper article agrees with me 100%
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Today's Tulsa World Newspaper article agrees with me 100%
Basically, John Klein of the Tulsa World repeats everything I have been saying the past 18 months. Klein's article follows the Orlando newspaper article stating that CUSA should have added UConn, Cincy, and USF....and been done with it.

THE COMINGS AND GOINGS OF CONFERENCE USA
By John Klein, Tulsa World, March 27, 2013

"Tulsa will soon join the no-name league, an athletics conference home that will look an awful lot like the old one."

"TU will announce soon it is joining the former Big East Conference. When the league gets all of its new members in the summer of 2014, it will look almost identical to Conference USA."

"Why this is happening and what caused it is another issue and a complex look at college athletics realignment. But there is little question that little will change for Tulsa. For starters, seven of the new members is what is expected to be an 11 team league in the summer of 2014 will be coming from the current Conference USA."

"UCF, Houston, SMU and Memphis will join the new league this summer as the defectors start leaving CUSA. Then Tulsa, Tulane, and East Carolina are expected to come on board in the no-name league in the summer of 2014. Navy is scheduled to join in the summer of 2015 to make it a 12 team league."

"Who are they joining? The leftovers from the old Big East are Connecticut, Cincinnati, and South Florida. Temple is coming from the Atlantic 10."

"Many believe Connecticut and Cincinnati will be leaving as soon as they get the chance to go somewhere else. So, in the end, the new league will look a lot like the old league."

"Not much makes sense in conference realignment. West Virginia to B12? Rutgers to Big 10? Syracuse to ACC?"

So, seven schools, and perhaps eventually as many as nine current Conference USA members, moving to join another league isn't so farfetched."

"It seems staying in Conference USA would have been the right and common sense thing to do."

"But, CUSA is moving on with other teams, trying to save what it can of its league. So, Tulsa will join the exodus to the whatever-they-call-it league in the near future."

"Why is a much longer and complicated issue."
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 10:27 AM by Tallgrass.)
03-28-2013 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
RE: Today's Tulsa World Newspaperarticle agrees with me 100%
Finkle IS Einhorn!

Klein IS Tallgrass!

03-28-2013 09:50 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-28-2013 09:41 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Basically, John Klein of the Tulsa World repeats everything I have been saying the past 18 months. Klein's article follows the Orlando newspaper article stating that CUSA should have added UConn, Cincy, and USF....and been done with it.

THE COMINGS AND GOINGS OF CONFERENCE USA
By John Klein, Tulsa World, March 27, 2013

"Tulsa will soon join the no-name league, an athletics conference home that will look an awful lot like the old one."

"TU will announce soon it is joining the former Big East Conference. When the league gets all of its new members in the summer of 2014, it will look almost identical to Conference USA."

"Why this is happening and what caused it is another issue and a complex look at college athletics realignment. But there is little question that little will change for Tulsa. For starters, seven of the new members is what is expected to be an 11 team league in the summer of 2014 will be coming from the current Conference USA."

"UCF, Houston, SMU and Memphis will join the new league this summer as the defectors start leaving CUSA. Then Tulsa, Tulane, and East Carolina are expected to come on board in the no-name league in the summer of 2014. Navy is scheduled to join in the summer of 2015 to make it a 12 team league."

"Who are they joining? The leftovers from the old Big East are Connecticut, Cincinnati, and South Florida. Temple is coming from the Atlantic 10."

"Many believe Connecticut and Cincinnati will be leaving as soon as they get the chance to go somewhere else. So, in the end, the new league will look a lot like the old league."

"Not much makes sense in conference realignment. West Virginia to B12? Rutgers to Big 10? Syracuse to ACC?"

So, seven schools, and perhaps eventually as many as nine current Conference USA members, moving to join another league isn't so farfetched."

"It seems staying in Conference USA would have been the right and common sense thing to do."

"But, CUSA is moving on with other teams, trying to save what it can of its league. So, Tulsa will join the exodus to the whatever-they-call-it league in the near future."

"Why is a much longer and complicated issue."

Everything dribbled out. If the C7 and B1G had moved quicker, things probably would have been done differently. And the Sun Belt would have been pretty much intact with a few WAC refugees. There would have been a gang of 4, not 5.
03-28-2013 09:52 AM
pzz189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
Oh boohoo. C-USA trimmed the fat, got Temple and Navy (and possibly UC and UConn) and doubled its TV revenue. Let's pout forever
03-28-2013 09:55 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think what he's saying applies more to the 4 that moved at first. For Tulane, ECU, and Tulsa- they had no choice but to move. Period.
03-28-2013 10:09 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-28-2013 09:55 AM)pzz189 Wrote:  Oh boohoo. C-USA trimmed the fat, got Temple and Navy (and possibly UC and UConn) and doubled its TV revenue. Let's pout forever

No, No, and No! The seven former CUSA schools made $1.2M per school on a contract negotiated three years ago. Now, they get $1.8M, which is reflective of the rising monies given the deep interest in sports programming.

The B12 went from $12M/Per School to $20M/Per School, a 66% increase.

The CUSA-7 went from $1.2M/Per School to $1.8M/Per School, a 50% increase and an increase below the percentage increase in B12.

The Nbe/A12 Conference didn't "power up" anything, absolutely nothing was "powered up." Rather, basically, what happened is CUSA-7/9 broker their old CUSA/FOX/CBS tv contract and renegotiated it....and got an increase, not because Nbe/A12 is a "power conference," but because of the general increase in the sports tv market. And remember this includes playing a bunch of midweek games and absolutely nothing in $$$$$ return for the huge inventory of games ESPN now has from Nbe/A12. Recall also that a Temple poster on Nbe/A12 quoted a Temple Regents member saying Temple was worried midweek games would cause attendance to fall substantially, thus offsetting the gains from the Nbe/A12 tv contract....plus Temple has substantlially added costs for transporting its Olympic sports teams within Nbe/A12.

Finally, the Nbe/A12 has a clause ESPN can renegotiate the Nbe/A12 tv contract if two schools leave. I don't think that clause was put in so the ESPN could raise the $$$$$ payout...
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 10:50 AM by Tallgrass.)
03-28-2013 10:34 AM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

(03-28-2013 10:34 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(03-28-2013 09:55 AM)pzz189 Wrote:  Oh boohoo. C-USA trimmed the fat, got Temple and Navy (and possibly UC and UConn) and doubled its TV revenue. Let's pout forever

No, No, and No! The seven former CUSA schools made $1.2M per school on a contract negotiated three years ago. Now, they get $1.8M, which is reflective of the rising monies given the deep interest in sports programming.

The CUSA-7 went from $1.2M/Per School to $1.8M/Per School, a 50% increase and an increase below the percentage increase in B12.

The Nbe/A12 Conference didn't "power up" anything, absolutely nothing was "powered up." Rather, basically, what happened is CUSA-7/9 broker their old CUSA/FOX/CBS tv contract and renegotiated it....and got an increase, not because Nbe/A12 is a "power conference," but because of the general increase in the sports tv market. And remember this includes playing a bunch of midweek games and absolutely nothing in $$$$$ return for the huge inventory of games ESPN now has from Nbe/A12.

Finally, the Nbe/A12 has a clause ESPN can renegotiate the Nbe/A12 tv contract if two schools leave. I don't think that clause was put in so the ESPN could raise the $$$$$ payout...

Tallgrass they are getting 2.1mm each as it is split 11 ways, not 12. Navy IIRC gets no share of tv revenue until their individual deal is up. At that point it is expected to be renegotiated.

They will get a share of bowl/playoff distributions and other league distributions related to football.

So it's not double but it certainly isn't the same money.
03-28-2013 10:52 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Today's Tulsa World Newspaper article agrees with me 100%
John Klein and Bill Haisten are known to publish articles and opinion pieces that often have a negative slant on Tulsa... this is nothing new from either of those guys - so it makes sense that our "pal" Tallgrass jumped all over it.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 11:01 AM by goldenhurricane2.)
03-28-2013 10:57 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF

The Nbe/A12 Conference didn't "power up" anything, absolutely nothing was "powered up." Rather, basically, what happened is CUSA-7/9 broker their old CUSA/FOX/CBS tv contract and renegotiated it....and got an increase, not because Nbe/A12 is a "power conference," but because of the general increase in the sports tv market. And remember this includes playing a bunch of midweek games and absolutely nothing in $$$$$ return for the huge inventory of games ESPN now has from Nbe/A12. Recall also that a Temple poster on Nbe/A12 quoted a Temple Regents member saying Temple was worried midweek games would cause attendance to fall substantially, thus offsetting the gains from the Nbe/A12 tv contract....plus Temple has substantlially added costs for transporting its Olympic sports teams within Nbe/A12.

You're numbers are wrong.

Show me a source that CUSA is 1.2M per from this point going forward (for a 14 team league).

I have read it's actually 1M per year in various articles (14M for 14 teams).

NBE is 23M per year (20 for ESPN and 3M for CBS - if you believe the numbers floated for CBS). 23M divided by 11.5 (11 full time members plus football only Navy) comes out EXACTLY to 2M. Do the math. And that's only AFTER Navy starts getting a share.

2M is exactly twice as much as 1M. Now we may be quibbling about a hundred thousand here and there, but it's nearly twice as much if it's not exactly.

Plus, you forgot about the increased revenue from other sources, which you conveniently omit to fit your argument. TV is only ONE slice of the revenue pie.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 11:00 AM by BullsFanInTX.)
03-28-2013 10:57 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-28-2013 10:52 AM)S11 Wrote:  

The Nbe/A12 Conference didn't "power up" anything, absolutely nothing was "powered up." Rather, basically, what happened is CUSA-7/9 broker their old CUSA/FOX/CBS tv contract and renegotiated it....and got an increase, not because Nbe/A12 is a "power conference," but because of the general increase in the sports tv market. And remember this includes playing a bunch of midweek games and absolutely nothing in $$$$$ return for the huge inventory of games ESPN now has from Nbe/A12.

Tallgrass they are getting 2.1mm each as it is split 11 ways, not 12. Navy IIRC gets no share of tv revenue until their individual deal is up. At that point it is expected to be renegotiated.

They will get a share of bowl/playoff distributions and other league distributions related to football.

If this Nbe/A12 Realignment Circus never happened, the CUSA-7 would probably gotten about the same tv deal as they now have in whatever-its-name conference.

Let's not forget to deduct $500,000 CUSA exit fee basically for nothing gained and a $2.5 million Nbe/A12 entry fee,
03-28-2013 10:58 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-28-2013 10:57 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

Show me a source that CUSA is 1.2M per from this point going forward (for a 14 team league).

NBE is 23M per year (20 for ESPN and 3M for CBS - if you believe the numbers floated for CBS). 23M divided by 11.5 (11 full time members plus football only Navy) comes out EXACTLY to 2M. Do the math. And that's only AFTER Navy starts getting a share.

2M is exactly twice as much as 1M. Now we may be quibbling about a hundred thousand here and there, but it's nearly twice as much if it's not exactly.

Plus, you forgot about the increased revenue from other sources, which you conveniently omit to fit your argument. TV is only ONE slice of the revenue pie.

All this assumes UConn and Cincy stay put. Take them out, the NCAA basketball money is gone and the Nbe/A12 tv contract takes a hit also.

Hey! As a Tulsa fan, I think if this Nbe/A12 stayed together, that would be just peachy dandy!

FWIW, I don't expect this Realignment Board to shut down anytime soon.....and for good reason.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 11:02 AM by Tallgrass.)
03-28-2013 11:01 AM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

(03-28-2013 11:01 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  

All this assumes UConn and Cincy stay put. Take them out, the NCAA basketball money is gone and the Nbe/A12 tv contract takes a hit also.

Contract takes a hit but the credits usually stay with the league.
03-28-2013 11:02 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(03-28-2013 10:58 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  

If this Nbe/A12 Realignment Circus never happened, the CUSA-7 would probably gotten about the same tv deal as they now have in whatever-its-name conference.

Let's not forget to deduct $500,000 CUSA exit fee basically for nothing gained and a $2.5 million Nbe/A12 entry fee,

The new schools are getting AT LEAST 1M from the 100M revenue pot just for joining (and probably more after negotiations), so again, your numbers are totally wrong. You knew that but again omitted info to fit your argument
03-28-2013 11:02 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-28-2013 11:02 AM)S11 Wrote:  

A Sports Ponzi scheme!
03-28-2013 11:05 AM
Raleighwood Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU

Actually, who cares? Everything is in the past now. Why are you looking backwards and talking about what might have been? What is done is done and ECU is better off under this new conferences banner than it was under CUSA. We have no entry fee and they are giving us $1 million dollars out of the exit fees which will pay off the CUSA fee and leave 500,000 leftover.
03-28-2013 11:10 AM
billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(03-28-2013 11:02 AM)S11 Wrote:  

I think the C-7 took their BB credits with them. From the outside it does seem people spend a lot of money to rejoin the same conference they left. Lawyers and consultants pocketed some serious cash while most are right where they started competition wise anyway.
03-28-2013 11:20 AM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

RE: Today's Tulsa World Newspaper article agrees with me 100%
It's not complicated... as bad as the Big East media deal is, it's still significantly more than C-USA and has far more exposure for its members; plus, the abundance of money to be split over members the next few years in payouts will be something they will never experience in C-USA. The Big East(and whatever name it becomes) will always be higher on the totem pole so it's a step up for those involved.
03-28-2013 11:20 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-28-2013 11:01 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  All this assumes UConn and Cincy stay put. Take them out, the NCAA basketball money is gone and the Nbe/A12 tv contract takes a hit also.
If UConn and UC leave for greener pastures, the Big TBA teams that recently joined hit the jackpot, because those two would leave the $60m in exit / entrance fees paid in and the legacy NCAA units behind.

Remember that the checks from the NCAA will work out to over a million per school over the next five years even if the Big TBA is one tournament winner AQ that is one and done from here on out. The question of how that money is divided has yet to be settled, but if UConn and UC leave, then splitting up whatever hasn't been paid out will end up to be divided between the newbies.

(03-28-2013 11:20 AM)billings Wrote:  I think the C-7 took their BB credits with them.
But that was by agreement by both parties. The C7 had the three remaining members over a barrel on leaving, since they had the right to leave without paying anything if they left as a group, and the only question was how fast, plus you don't lose your votes until you OFFICIALLY notify the conference, so they had more votes until they put in notice. So the two sides came to an agreement where the C7 quit all of their remaining claims on the conference in return for their BB credits being forwarded to them as received, the Big East name, the MSG contract (which the Garden would have cancelled on the Big TBA anyway), a little bit of money from the restructure fund, permission to leave this July, and agreement to cooperate on maintaining AQ for Olympic sports that would otherwise drop below the 6 required. That last kept AQ for New Big East Lacrosse, which is part of the Fox Sports contract.

Note that the C7 were originally asking for a bigger slice of money ~ they wanted "their share" of legacy BB credits and exit fees ~ but the remaining three had THEM over a barrel on leaving early, so most of the BB credits (Lousiville, Pitt, etc.) and most of the exit/entrance fee revenue stayed with the Big TBA when all was said and done.

If UConn and UC exit, it will be like Syracuse, Pitt, WV, etc., and the BB credits will stay with the Big TBA.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 11:31 AM by BruceMcF.)
03-28-2013 11:21 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

(03-28-2013 11:20 AM)billings Wrote:  I think the C-7 took their BB credits with them. From the outside it does seem people spend a lot of money to rejoin the same conference they left. Lawyers and consultants pocketed some serious cash while most are right where they started competition wise anyway.

Fortunately for the Big East and incoming members, the C-7 don't make up the bulk of the credits!
03-28-2013 11:23 AM
1845 Bear Offline

No. They were all set to get 1.3mm per team for a deal that overlaps with the firms three years of the deal.

That comes out to about 600k per team more annually in the overlapping years once the new ESPN contract comes out (2014 & 15) and potentially more in 2013 depending on how the old ESPN football contract was adjusted.

Fact is that those schools partnering with USF, Cincy, UConn, and Temple is simply more lucrative than partnering with UAB, Rice, USM, and Marshall from a tv perspective.

Also there has been hints in some articles that the entry fees would be waived or greatly reduced. Add in better bowl payouts, better NCAA tourney money, and a likely better tv deal when Navy arrives in 2017 and it makes sense.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 11:27 AM by 1845 Bear.)
03-28-2013 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.