Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VCU extends Shaka thru 2023
Bookmark and Share
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
VCU extends Shaka thru 2023
Well guess VCU isn't going anywhere soon.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...rough-2023

probably the last thing the C7 wanted to happen. I do think the C7 wishes VCU went away, but with Smart still there- it's not happening.
03-27-2013 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
RE: VCU extends Shaka thru 2023
I think this board talks more about VCU than all other teams combined...
03-27-2013 07:59 PM
Natty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: VCU
(03-27-2013 07:59 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  I think this board talks more about VCU than all other teams combined...

So you're saying add the Rams?
03-27-2013 08:12 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(03-27-2013 07:59 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  I think this board talks more about VCU than all other teams combined...

*Stever20 talks about VCU
03-27-2013 08:24 PM
Mothball Offline
Banned

I Root For: victory
Why the hell is the Big East not adding VCU?
03-27-2013 08:38 PM
Xavier Musketeers Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Gooo Muskies!
(03-27-2013 07:34 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Well guess VCU isn't going anywhere soon.

probably the last thing the C7 wanted to happen. I do think the C7 wishes VCU went away, but with Smart still there- it's not happening.

Why would the C7 care who is coaching in the A-10. Don't get it.
03-27-2013 09:11 PM
Advertisement

thegalen Offline
2nd String

Stever, are you in DC? Next time you're out here I'm buying you a round for fighting for truth, justice, and the American basketball way.
03-27-2013 09:34 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns

Coaches contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
03-27-2013 11:34 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-27-2013 11:34 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

I agree with you. However, it keeps Shaka at VCU yet another year- meaning the VCU story isn't going away. The Big East powers probably wish they would so they could invite others with better fits but still look like they're taking the best programs- not having to take a big PR hit by bypassing VCU for a lesser on the court program(which any school outside of SLU would be). That's the story now.

Also- seems like the new batch of younger coaches is sticking at schools a lot longer. See Stevens, Shaka, Few at Gonzaga, Chris Peterson at Boise fb, Gary Patterson at TCU fb for example.
03-27-2013 11:54 PM
fmrick Offline
Water Engineer

Well, I think this just signals what most close to the program already knew-

Shaka likes it here.

There is a lot to this situation. At VCU he is the Big Guy on campus (no Football to compete with).

He can recruit kids who will stay for four years and look them in the eye and say that he will be here for those four years. Because of this he can get kids that meet his style (fast and long) and that support the Havoc style. And a player knows that while they might not get 35 minutes per game, they will get to play a lot from the start. VCU plays hard for 40 minutes and needs 10 players or more to play that way. So he gets that "good" player, one that the big schools pass on because they can get the "stars" that will leave in two years. VCU gets a guy who will be 22-23 years old when they are a senior, while Kentucky must re-load every year (and we all know how that worked out) as their "stars" move on. So with what Shaka wants on the floor, is UCLA that good of a spot for him?

This year two guys that were recruited at VCU for the 2012-13 season were deemed partial qualifiers by the NCAA. Two pretty good players. In both cases it had nothing to do with grades, it was about them transferring from one schools to another in high school and the schools not keeping very good records. In fact, both are doing well this year at VCU, one is carrying a 4.0 gpa. But we were pretty bummed out at the start of the season with the loss of the two stars recruits. I was talking to one of our coaches before the season started, with me whining about the situation. The coach looked at me and simply said this- "Would you rather have them this year as 18 year old kids right out of High School, or if they get their 4th year restored, as 23 year old men in that forth year?

What people don't understand is this guy is different. He is humble. If you talked to him you'd think he is just another guy from down the street. He is making pretty good money (Really good for Richmond). Both he and his wife are successful people. It is easy to understand this, he comes from a background that illustrates what he believes in. He turned down a full boat academic ride to Harvard to play DIII basketball at Kenyon. If you want to understand how he is wired, I think you start right there.

I will not fool myself and think he will be here forever. I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon. But he could be one of those guys who stays forever. There are a few of them around. And some are the coaches at some pretty successful programs.
03-28-2013 07:12 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-27-2013 09:11 PM)Xavier Musketeers Wrote:  

Because the C7 still need to add 2 schools and on the floor VCU is clearly 1 of the 2 best adds(along with SLU).
03-28-2013 08:10 AM
Advertisement

billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence

I think it's awesome that he's staying, for both the school and for college hoops fans. Stability. Loyalty. But according to you over the past 100 days, the VCU program can bridge coaches seamlessly.

So why are you now telling us that VCU would go away if Smart wasn't still there?

Also, substitute the word "Georgetown" (your school) in place of every "C-7" reference in your paragraphs, because the Hoyas are pushing for Richmond, and the rest of us are neutral with no strong preference.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 08:49 AM by billyjack.)
03-28-2013 08:33 AM
Water Engineer

(03-28-2013 08:10 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(03-27-2013 09:11 PM)Xavier Musketeers Wrote:  

Because the C7 still need to add 2 schools and on the floor VCU is clearly 1 of the 2 best adds(along with SLU).

VCU has a nice program. I don't see any rush to 12. Where else are they going in the meantime?
03-28-2013 08:40 AM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(03-27-2013 11:54 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I agree with you. However, it keeps Shaka at VCU yet another year- meaning the VCU story isn't going away. The Big East powers probably wish they would so they could invite others with better fits but still look like they're taking the best programs- not having to take a big PR hit by bypassing VCU for a lesser on the court program(which any school outside of SLU would be). That's the story now.
Related to that is, with Smart staying and no resultant player defections, we should be a preseason top 25 team and the favorite to win the A10. Then there's the fact that we've now won a game in 9 of our 12 NCAA appearances, and are one of just 8 programs to win a game in each of the last three years. Depends on the seeding and matchup, but that should hold true next year for a fourth straight year with the pool of programs possibly shrinking. This is more of an audition year than people might think.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013 08:48 AM by thegalen.)
03-28-2013 08:43 AM
Natty Offline
Bench Warmer

Just want to remind people of some of the schools/storylines he's turned down over the past couple of seasons...

1) UCLA - "The elite job"...the one that, if offered, he just "couldn't turn down"
2) Illinois - The Chicago connection. His grandfather used to take him to Cubs games, he sang "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" there after the Final 4, Illinois fans thought he was a done deal because of his ties to the state.
3) Minnesota - The former boss job. Norwood Teague hired Shaka at VCU, gave him his first shot, etc etc.
4) All the others who wanted him but had no legit shot whatsoever...

VCU is going to be LOADED next season too (in an A-10 that loses two of it's top teams). Return four of their top five scorers (including Nos. 1 and 2), add a top-100 player who was forced to sit all season due to eligibility issues (but has been practicing with the team all year), have four guys joining him including another who was forced to sit as well. Maybe VCU doesn't end up in the C7 Big East, but I'd be stunned if they don't end up in either that conference or with the other public schools after this year. Tons of chatter coming from the other end, and I know our President has been in discussions with a number of folks.

VCU is set to be good for some time.
03-28-2013 08:52 AM
Water Engineer

(03-28-2013 08:52 AM)Natty Wrote:  Just want to remind people of some of the schools/storylines he's turned down over the past couple of seasons...

1) UCLA - "The elite job"...the one that, if offered, he just "couldn't turn down"
2) Illinois - The Chicago connection. His grandfather used to take him to Cubs games, he sang "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" there after the Final 4, Illinois fans thought he was a done deal because of his ties to the state.
3) Minnesota - The former boss job. Norwood Teague hired Shaka at VCU, gave him his first shot, etc etc.
4) All the others who wanted him but had no legit shot whatsoever...

VCU is going to be LOADED next season too (in an A-10 that loses two of it's top teams). Return four of their top five scorers (including Nos. 1 and 2), add a top-100 player who was forced to sit all season due to eligibility issues (but has been practicing with the team all year), have four guys joining him including another who was forced to sit as well. Maybe VCU doesn't end up in the C7 Big East, but I'd be stunned if they don't end up in either that conference or with the other public schools after this year. Tons of chatter coming from the other end, and I know our President has been in discussions with a number of folks.

VCU is set to be good for some time.

Other public schools where?
03-28-2013 09:18 AM
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Honestly think VCU would be a great fit for the America-12 or whatever they are gonna call it. Decent hoops conference after Louisville leaves with alot of similar large public institutions who also have football, something VCU might pursue in the future.
03-28-2013 09:18 AM
Natty Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-28-2013 09:18 AM)Xavier Musketeers Wrote:  Other public schools where?

The Metro/America 12/Whatever they are going to call it conference.
03-28-2013 11:53 AM
Gopher+RamFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Minnesota/VCU
The only problem I see about the new Metro is, it seems the best basketball teams are all wanting to jump ship. Besides Georgetown in the C7 (ACC) - there doesn't seem to be anyone who is a flight risk.
03-28-2013 01:37 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
(03-27-2013 11:34 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

This. Tom Crean signed a 10 yr contract and then left for Indiana the next year.
03-28-2013 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.