Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Views from a South Alabama fan
Bookmark and Share
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Views from a South Alabama fan
This isn't a representative view of the entire USA fan base, but this is how I'm now feeling about the Sun Belt.

Appalachian State and Georgia Southern are long time rivals. They both enter and have long relationships with several schools in our league like Troy. Enter James Madison (if reports are true) and you have a team very familiar with both App State and Georgia Southern.

Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette have a long history together, and both have stronger ties to the western schools.

South Alabama was a charter member of the Sun Belt Conference but I don't feel like this is home anymore. Reading everything coming out of realignment I feel like this is Appalachian State/Georgia Southern/JMU/Troy's league and USA is just a member with ASU and Louisiana-Lafayette actively looking to leave. I feel like USA is aligned with no one in this league. All of the schools we have history with have left.
03-27-2013 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
RE: Views from a South Alabama fan
(03-27-2013 01:44 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  This isn't a representative view of the entire USA fan base, but this is how I'm now feeling about the Sun Belt.

Appalachian State and Georgia Southern are long time rivals. They both enter and have long relationships with several schools in our league like Troy. Enter James Madison (if reports are true) and you have a team very familiar with both App State and Georgia Southern.

Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette have a long history together, and both have stronger ties to the western schools.

South Alabama was a charter member of the Sun Belt Conference but I don't feel like this is home anymore. Reading everything coming out of realignment I feel like this is Appalachian State/Georgia Southern/JMU/Troy's league and USA is just a member with ASU and Louisiana-Lafayette actively looking to leave. I feel like USA is aligned with no one in this league. All of the schools we have history with have left.

How is JMU "very familiar" with GaSo?

As for the rest, head to the back of the line. By my estimation, you are currently #4 in the "waiting to get out of the Sun Belt" line.

I would suggest you try to make the best of a rivalry with Troy and/or ULM. You will all be living in the same neighborhood for the forseeable future.
03-27-2013 01:52 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
You can befriend us Bobcats. We need a friend.
03-27-2013 01:53 PM
Pike51 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-27-2013 01:44 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  This isn't a representative view of the entire USA fan base, but this is how I'm now feeling about the Sun Belt.

It will come. You gotta remember, USA isn't just new to the conference like GS and App, they are new to football period. It takes time to develop rivalries and "relationships" with other teams. We had one with Troy previously so we get to pick right up and App is our biggest current rival and they are moving at the same time so built in rivalry moving right in. That said, when we play, first round is on me (your house or ours).

With that in mind, I'm sure you have things with other school sin other sports, but football is where the focus usually is. Nature of the beast, followed by basketball.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 01:57 PM by Pike51.)
03-27-2013 01:56 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
I can tell you you will hardly find a Troy fan happy about these adds. We feel the same as you do.
03-27-2013 01:57 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(03-27-2013 01:56 PM)Pike51 Wrote:  

It will come. You gotta remember, USA isn't just new to the conference like GS and App, they are new to football period. It takes time to develop rivalries and "relationships" with other teams. We had one with Troy previously so we get to pick right up and App is our biggest current rival and they are moving at the same time so built in rivalry moving right in. That said, when we play, first round is on me (your house or ours).

With that in mind, I'm sure you have things with other school sin other sports, but football is where the focus usually is. Nature of the beast, followed by basketball.

Football is great and all but we've had outstanding rivalries in basketball with WKU (and UAB in the past) and in baseball with ULL. Losing those would hurt, even though they don't get the attention of football.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 02:03 PM by AtlantaJag.)
03-27-2013 02:02 PM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Welcome to 2013. Most of the conferences below the top 5 are vastly different than they were a few years ago. I personally think that with stAte, UL, Troy, USA, Texas State, App. State, Ga. Southern and possibly JMU we have a lineup with great potential in football. There are not any programs in CUSA that have a combination of facilities, fan support and recruiting advantages that separate them from the Sun Belt lineup. With ECU and Tulsa leaving, USM is the king of CUSA and while they have a great tradition of football, they have financial problems and are not head and shoulders above the top Sun belt programs.
03-27-2013 02:04 PM
troy4ever Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
USA is a very unique and different situation than many in the conference. The history that exists between so many of the programs now in the SBC all goes back to football more than anything else. App and GaSo fans seem very excited to renew their series with Troy because there is a very competitive history there in football previously. I think Troy fans are very excited about renewing these as well. Especially the older part of our fan base that were there for many of those iconic games of our history. History does go a long way for established rivalries and excitement about being in a conference with those opponents.

With USA having not had football until recently, the USA history with teams was established in a different way and with much different teams. Many of those teams USA has history with had football, but USA did not. I wonder if USA deciding to add football so much later than those other schools has led to it being "left behind" in the Sunbelt while the members they have had the most history with have moved on to other things? Is USA a victim of its own decisions in regards to when they decided to add football?

Ultimatly the SBC immediately went in a much different direction the moment they voted to add football. Let's face it, the SBC is now a football conference whereas it was once a basketball conference. That's reflected in conference membership now which consists of universities and fan bases that place so much more focus on football than any other sport. I know Troy is one of those. Football is THE sport that Trojan fans love more than anything. All the other sports are just sports to tide us over till football season. I hope that culture is changing though at Troy.

I can definitely see how USA fans would feel they don't have many strong connections to the new schools compared to the other SBC schools that have a shared history. I've felt that way before with Troy and some of the former SBC members. It's a sucky place to be in mentally as a fan.
03-27-2013 02:05 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(03-27-2013 02:02 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  

Football is great and all but we've had outstanding rivalries in basketball with WKU (and UAB in the past) and in baseball with ULL. Losing those would hurt, even though they don't get the attention of football.

Don't forget USM in baseball. Or anything really. Even though we have never been in the same conference.
03-27-2013 02:07 PM
BlueBird10 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia Southern
(03-27-2013 02:02 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1...ll_america

Well we can definitely fill any void in baseball 04-rock
03-27-2013 02:08 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
South Alabama just needs to start winning against Troy and Ga State and the rivalry wil be strong.
03-27-2013 02:09 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I agree that App St, GS, and JMU can help raise the profile. Great attendance and support. If you are going to add FCS schools in the area those are the best you can possibly get.
03-27-2013 02:09 PM
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
I don't think the way you feel is because App State, Georgia Southern, and (possibly) James Madison are being added to the Sun Belt. I think this is way many fans feel now with conference realignment in general. ECU has lost many of its ties now, as have other schools by moving to "bigger and better" conferences. Once this all blows over, conferences will clean up, and you'll see alliances formed. I don't know when that will be, but I think you will see that the Sun Belt will end up being a better conference than what some may think. USA may be down right now, but you're far from out. You'll likely remain in the SBC for a while, but you'll definitely form new rivalries with schools you never thought you would, and that's a good thing.

Can't wait to play you!
03-27-2013 02:16 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(03-27-2013 02:09 PM)slycat Wrote:  I agree that App St, GS, and JMU can help raise the profile. Great attendance and support. If you are going to add FCS schools in the area those are the best you can possibly get.

But our basketball program, which has a good history (not elite but good) has been where we have built a lot of our relationships. And with the adds of these three schools and Texas State our basketball has hit an all-time low. Not trying to offend anyone but the facts are facts. I'm not saying they won't come in and improve their basketball product, but history indicates that they aren't that worried about basketball.
03-27-2013 02:18 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I agree we are AWFUL at basketball. I'm hoping the new coach we hire turns it around and we start caring about the sport. I really do.
03-27-2013 02:21 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
SkullyMaroo honestly the only people we can blame are the ones that couldn't see how important 1A (FBS) football would be 10 years ago.

USA or WKU didn't see that and if both had 10 years ago I honest think both schools would be in a different conference by now. The crazy thing is that if the SBC had held tight with in 2 years I believe at least 2 of the best CUSA programs would have switched to the SBC.

I believe it really was that close...

2 more years of a improving SBC and a declining CUSA ...USM, and UTEP or Marshall would have been there for the taking
03-27-2013 02:23 PM
Advertisement

GSUhooligan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-27-2013 02:21 PM)slycat Wrote:  I agree we are AWFUL at basketball. I'm hoping the new coach we hire turns it around and we start caring about the sport. I really do.

Same here. If our next coach is halfway decent, we should be a contender in basketball with the raw talent we have on the roster.
03-27-2013 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SkullyMaroo Offline

(03-27-2013 02:16 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  I don't think the way you feel is because App State, Georgia Southern, and (possibly) James Madison are being added to the Sun Belt. I think this is way many fans feel now with conference realignment in general. ECU has lost many of its ties now, as have other schools by moving to "bigger and better" conferences. Once this all blows over, conferences will clean up, and you'll see alliances formed. I don't know when that will be, but I think you will see that the Sun Belt will end up being a better conference than what some may think. USA may be down right now, but you're far from out. You'll likely remain in the SBC for a while, but you'll definitely form new rivalries with schools you never thought you would, and that's a good thing.

Can't wait to play you!

But will we? Our number one will be Troy. Then who? Georgia State?

App State will have Georgia Southern then Troy then probably James Madison. JMU and Troy might switch 2/3.
Georgia Southern will have App State then Georgia State then Troy and maybe JMU.
Georgia State will have Georgia Southern then Troy/USA and maybe App State.
Troy will have USA and Georgia Southern and App State and possible Georgia State.
ASU will have Louisiana-Lafayette then UALR (non fb) and maybe ULM.
Louisiana-Lafayette has ULM and ASU and possibly a new rivalry with Texas State.
ULM will have Louisiana-Lafayette then possibly ASU and Texas State.

Meanwhile USA, who is right in the middle of everyone is just searching for it's identity with a rival in Troy who is already rivals with several other schools. Would we stay their #1? Will Georgia State even be a rival or will they focus on their closer rivals?
03-27-2013 02:28 PM
Klak Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(03-27-2013 02:28 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(03-27-2013 02:16 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  I don't think the way you feel is because App State, Georgia Southern, and (possibly) James Madison are being added to the Sun Belt. I think this is way many fans feel now with conference realignment in general. ECU has lost many of its ties now, as have other schools by moving to "bigger and better" conferences. Once this all blows over, conferences will clean up, and you'll see alliances formed. I don't know when that will be, but I think you will see that the Sun Belt will end up being a better conference than what some may think. USA may be down right now, but you're far from out. You'll likely remain in the SBC for a while, but you'll definitely form new rivalries with schools you never thought you would, and that's a good thing.

Can't wait to play you!

But will we? Our number one will be Troy. Then who? Georgia State?

App State will have Georgia Southern then Troy then probably James Madison. JMU and Troy might switch 2/3.
Georgia Southern will have App State then Georgia State then Troy and maybe JMU.
Georgia State will have Georgia Southern then Troy/USA and maybe App State.
Troy will have USA and Georgia Southern and App State and possible Georgia State.
ASU will have Louisiana-Lafayette then UALR (non fb) and maybe ULM.
Louisiana-Lafayette has ULM and ASU and possibly a new rivalry with Texas State.
ULM will have Louisiana-Lafayette then possibly ASU and Texas State.

Meanwhile USA, who is right in the middle of everyone is just searching for it's identity with a rival in Troy who is already rivals with several other schools. Would we stay their #1? Will Georgia State even be a rival or will they focus on their closer rivals?

Rivalries are created on the field. You've only had a few seasons, so there's just not much history there. Our huge rivalry with App came from playing close, meaningful games year after year. They also happened to be the furthest team from us in the SoCon.

Don't force it. Rivalries just happen, and they WILL happen.
03-27-2013 02:31 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(03-27-2013 02:05 PM)troy4ever Wrote:  USA is a very unique and different situation than many in the conference. The history that exists between so many of the programs now in the SBC all goes back to football more than anything else. App and GaSo fans seem very excited to renew their series with Troy because there is a very competitive history there in football previously. I think Troy fans are very excited about renewing these as well. Especially the older part of our fan base that were there for many of those iconic games of our history. History does go a long way for established rivalries and excitement about being in a conference with those opponents.

With USA having not had football until recently, the USA history with teams was established in a different way and with much different teams. Many of those teams USA has history with had football, but USA did not. I wonder if USA deciding to add football so much later than those other schools has led to it being "left behind" in the Sunbelt while the members they have had the most history with have moved on to other things? Is USA a victim of its own decisions in regards to when they decided to add football?

Ultimatly the SBC immediately went in a much different direction the moment they voted to add football. Let's face it, the SBC is now a football conference whereas it was once a basketball conference. That's reflected in conference membership now which consists of universities and fan bases that place so much more focus on football than any other sport. I know Troy is one of those. Football is THE sport that Trojan fans love more than anything. All the other sports are just sports to tide us over till football season. I hope that culture is changing though at Troy.

I can definitely see how USA fans would feel they don't have many strong connections to the new schools compared to the other SBC schools that have a shared history. I've felt that way before with Troy and some of the former SBC members. It's a sucky place to be in mentally as a fan.

This is a much belabored point on our board. We had an invite back in the early 90's to the newly forming CUSA. Our then President, in his infinite wisdom, decided that it was better to be the stronger of the remaining conference, than join a new and have to work our way up again. No doubt about it - had we joined CUSA back then, we would have had football established at least a decade prior than we ultimately did. And who know what would've happened from there.

But . . .

I can honestly see where the SBC has the chance now to be a stronger football conference than CUSA. If App and GaSo transition successfully, as I have no doubt that they will, if USA can continue to grow and gain experience, and if the others remain strong programs, we just may start to gain some steam in the coming years. Frankly, in football terms, I'd have us at a net positive with the addition of App, GaSo, and JMU both from an attendance/following point of view, as well as on the field, and will gladly take them over FIA/FAU/NT in those terms. Losing MTSU hurts no doubt, but that just means that one of us has to step up, whether it be South or someone else.

And we already are stronger in baseball. We have a lot of work to do in basketball, but if football strengthens to the point that we're all hopeful for, recruits will notice, and I'd hope/think that basketball would follow suit. We love South's hire of Graves from Butler. Hopefully that pays dividends and we all continue to improve.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 02:37 PM by BLEEDITRED.)
03-27-2013 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.