Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU - Whats the Plan
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
JMU - Whats the Plan
Just curious if anyone has anyone has any knowledge as to what JMU's plan is going forward.

They have choices. Here they seem to be

1) Do nothing and stay in the CAA. Hope that the conference can stabilize itself or that another solution not currently on the table presents itself. There are lots of risks with this strategy, most namely that FCS interest will fall back as traditional rivals move up. And that the basketball program will suffer as the basketball product is downgraded. Obviously, there is the hope that CUSA or the MAC will come calling.
2) Prioritize FBS football and try to join the Sun Belt. I've heard rumors that JMU has already turned the Belt down. Oly expenses will increase, and mens basketball would be playing in a lower tier conference.
3) Prioritize Basketball. Persue a conference that focuses on basketball. The problem is that they have to find a solution that gives the football team a home.

It seems to me that JMU has five places to go. The MAC, CUSA, the Belt, the CAA, or the Southern. My guess is that the MAC and CUSA are off the table.
03-24-2013 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
RE: JMU - Whats the Plan
The MAC has the ace in the hole UMass to say all sports in or your football is out and JMU or UD would be the most likely candidates to get to 14.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 10:05 PM by Minutemen429.)
03-24-2013 10:05 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Serious question: why would the MAC not be interested in JMU for all sports? For the matter, why would the A10 not be interested in them for basketball?
03-24-2013 10:24 PM
hburg Online

I Root For: James Madison
Re: JMU - Whats the Plan
I am hoping JMU finds s home and that our admin are not being a bunch of wasted drunks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
03-24-2013 10:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
It seems logical that JMU try to expand with Charlotte and Old Dominion. If they can, Marshall, JMU, Charlotte, and Old Dominion make a nice corner for C-USA East.

I think JMU and William & Mary have some decisions to make on how they want athletics and football to fit into their future.
03-25-2013 12:11 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
When the CAA loses Old Dominion, Virginia Commonwealth and George Mason......James Madison has to do something.

Travel costs are going to soar for JMU with those Virginia schools out of there. I guess Delaware and Towson are within 3-4 hours yet. William & Mary is 3 hours.

I don't think its inconceivable that the MAC would go out to offer JMU, Delaware and Towson as a group upgrading to FBS. All 3 have been discussed at one time or another as potential MAC members.
03-25-2013 12:22 AM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2013 12:11 AM)chess Wrote:  It seems logical that JMU try to expand with Charlotte and Old Dominion. If they can, Marshall, JMU, Charlotte, and Old Dominion make a nice corner for C-USA East.

Or a nice corner in the MAC East...

05-stirthepot
03-25-2013 12:23 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
nfm
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 12:33 AM by chess.)
03-25-2013 12:33 AM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

JMU - Whats the Plan
Who the **** knows anymore?
03-25-2013 12:49 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(03-24-2013 10:24 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Serious question: why would the MAC not be interested in JMU for all sports? For the matter, why would the A10 not be interested in them for basketball?

I think that the Big Ten's eastern expansion would keep us in their shadows if we expand that direction, an option not ideal. Should UMass join in full, JMU will probably follow since both of them are good enough schools to add regardless. However, if UMass leaves, we might abandon our eastern strategy and pursue WKU/Missouri State/stAte/ULL like the rumors have stated.
03-25-2013 08:15 AM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
Another factor for JMU to consider is the MAC has divisions for football and Men's & Women's hoops. When they are added, BGSU will move to the West which means JMU will only have 1 team west of Cleveland (Miami) in the MAC East those sports which cuts down on the travel costs quite a bit. Getting the 2nd largest FBS program in VA would be a coup for the MAC
03-25-2013 08:26 AM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
I think we're f'ed......Incompetent administration that can't get out of their own way
03-25-2013 08:42 AM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-25-2013 12:49 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  Who the **** knows anymore?

Pretty much the attitude down here also......looking at all possible scenarios can make you nuts....
03-25-2013 08:42 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2013 08:26 AM)Poliicious Wrote:  Another factor for JMU to consider is the MAC has divisions for football and Men's & Women's hoops. When they are added, BGSU will move to the West which means JMU will only have 1 team west of Cleveland (Miami) in the MAC East those sports which cuts down on the travel costs quite a bit. Getting the 2nd largest FBS program in VA would be a coup for the MAC

Yes!03-cloud9

Let's say the MAC decides to go out and add James Madison and Delaware all sports. Bowling Green of course moves to the West and JMU would have 2 bus rides in the conference (Ohio, Delaware).

When UMass was first added the tentative schedule had Bowling Green to the West and no permanent crossovers. Each MAC East program was set to play 6 divisional games with 2 crossovers.

I suppose the MAC could continue to play on with 15 in football with UMass in the East football only. That would be similar to what they are doing with 13 in football right today in scheduling with one division having 7 teams while the other has 6.

Playing the other schools in the MAC East like Buffalo, Kent State, Akron would be less a travel cost thing as those schools are 6+ hours away and more of a "avoiding the directional Michigan schools" thing where there would not be much playing the MAC West schools.
03-25-2013 08:48 AM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(03-25-2013 08:42 AM)swampbear Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 12:49 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  Who the **** knows anymore?

Pretty much the attitude down here also......looking at all possible scenarios can make you nuts....

no, it's more about how endlessly incompetent our athletic director, vp of finance and president are. they fail to grasp the concept of, "sitting still is falling behind".
Here's a business example to parallel our situaiton. Blockbuster was a video rental giant in america. Then the Netflix concept came around. Blockbuster laughed at it and thought the idea and concept was "a niche market". Now Blockbuster is bankrupt.
Our administrators' arrogance and perception about other conferences as being "beneath them" has lead them to turn down advances from CUSA (pre-ecu leaving), MAC (pre-umass joining), the old WAC (that's understandable) and now the SBC (literally the only remaining option for us).
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 08:53 AM by Dukes09.)
03-25-2013 08:52 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I am an Ohio U alum and one of my best friends is a JMU alum. I have made that trip a ton of times and the campuses are STRIKINGLY similar and not that far apart (about 4:30 or so). I think JMU would fit very well into the MAC.

Delaware too would fit well in the MAC, IMHO but that is a much further drive.
03-25-2013 09:10 AM
Advertisement

mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-25-2013 08:26 AM)Poliicious Wrote:  Another factor for JMU to consider is the MAC has divisions for football and Men's & Women's hoops. When they are added, BGSU will move to the West which means JMU will only have 1 team west of Cleveland (Miami) in the MAC East those sports which cuts down on the travel costs quite a bit. Getting the 2nd largest FBS program in VA would be a coup for the MAC

UVA?
03-25-2013 10:30 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
The plan seems to be....hope the phone rings.

JMU is sitting behind Delaware...everyone will call Delaware before they will call JMU. MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt...

That's not hating on JMU, but the flagship, market and academic angles all favor Delaware.
03-25-2013 11:16 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
(03-25-2013 10:30 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

UVA?

Just adding to your point...

VT
UVA
ODU

And Richmond has won a FCS title not too long ago.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 11:18 AM by HP-TBDPITL.)
03-25-2013 11:18 AM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(03-25-2013 11:18 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 10:30 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

UVA?

Just adding to your point...

VT
UVA
ODU

And Richmond has won a FCS title not too long ago.

William and Mary is ahead of Richmond in the VA CFB relevance scale. JMU is fourth unless Liberty gets an FBS invite. Richmond is 7th best VA CFB program.
03-25-2013 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.