Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Florida Gulf Coast
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
OT - Florida Gulf Coast
Florida Gulf Coast just hammered Georgetown in the NCAA tournament. This school was founded in 1997, started athletics in 2002 and joined Division 1 in 2007-2008.

Never heard of this school and now they are on national TV. If they can do it, (in 5 years, nonetheless) why can't we?
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 11:20 PM by Antarius.)
03-22-2013 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
RE: OT - Florida Gulf Coast
[Image: ku-xlarge.gif]
03-22-2013 11:21 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-22-2013 11:19 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Florida Gulf Coast just hammered Georgetown in the NCAA tournament. This school was founded in 1997, started athletics in 2002 and joined Division 1 in 2007-2008.

Never heard of this school and now they are on national TV. If they can do it, (in 5 years, nonetheless) why can't we?

I'd guess because they don't accept that losing is okay as long as you have a good enough excuse.
03-22-2013 11:25 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Their head coach is a Johns Hopkins grad who co-founded a Wall Street firm now worth $100 million. And his wife is an ex-supermodel.

If you want some insight on their school though, check out this thread. After seeing the dorms, I'm amazed it took them that long to get good :)

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=625057
03-23-2013 05:21 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Great game....also ND deserved to lose with those ugly, ugly unis.

[Image: NCAA20Iowa20State20Notre20Dame20Basketba...ebd218.jpg]
03-23-2013 09:14 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(03-22-2013 11:19 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Florida Gulf Coast just hammered Georgetown in the NCAA tournament. This school was founded in 1997, started athletics in 2002 and joined Division 1 in 2007-2008.

Can't answer your question, at least not in the way you would like. But I think there is a difference between building a house from blueprints, and maintaining an existing house. We haven't had a blueprint in forever, and they have never not had one.

So blame it on the architects.
03-23-2013 01:19 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-23-2013 01:19 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Can't answer your question, at least not in the way you would like. But I think there is a difference between building a house from blueprints, and maintaining an existing house. We haven't had a blueprint in forever, and they have never not had one.

Was more of a rhetorical question built out of my frustrations with the season. Watching this on ESPN last night made me think about what this kind of exposure would do for Rice. The beauty of college basketball is that small schools like VCU and Florida Gulf Coast can leap out of obscurity and become household names.

Regarding the establishments, there are big differences between starting from scratch and trying to remodel. This just shows that size, standards and all the other things that keep getting used as reasons for our lack of success aren't the only things that keep us from the big dance. If a small new school (FGCU) and an established top school (Harvard) can make the big dance, there has to be a way for us to do it as well.
03-23-2013 01:38 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(03-23-2013 01:38 PM)Antarius Wrote:  The beauty of college basketball is that small schools like VCU and Florida Gulf Coast can leap out of obscurity and become household names.

FIFY.

Enrollment for VCU is ~32,000 and for FGCU about 13,000.
03-23-2013 02:01 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-23-2013 02:01 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 01:38 PM)Antarius Wrote:  The beauty of college basketball is that small schools like VCU and Florida Gulf Coast can leap out of obscurity and become household names.

FIFY.

Thanks. Should have said 'less known' or something.
03-23-2013 02:04 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(03-23-2013 02:04 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 02:01 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  

FIFY.

Thanks. Should have said 'less known' or something.

Usually "less known" means they don't field athletic teams, or they play in smaller conferences or classifications. A lot of people know nothing of top schools like U of Chicago or Washington U., and a lot know nothing of very large schools that are not competing at the top levels. I was surprised last year to find out how big Stony Brook was.
03-23-2013 02:10 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

Given that we're in Houston, shouldn't we just tear down the old, historic house and build something bigger to the edges of the lot?
03-23-2013 04:53 PM
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
And they did it again. Sweet 16, running away in the second half.

Hard to believe they got seeded 15, considering they beat Miami earlier this year. Kinda like Oregon's 12 seed.

And for that matter, how did 2 of the at-large play-in seeds get 11 seeds and the other 2 at-large play-in seeds were 13? Something is wrong with the math there.
03-24-2013 10:49 PM
tramile12 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: RICE

How 'bout because anybody can get in there, if they have a pulse? They'd accept my hamster, for crying out loud.
03-25-2013 01:18 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-25-2013 01:18 AM)tramile12 Wrote:  

How 'bout because anybody can get in there, if they have a pulse? They'd accept my hamster, for crying out loud.

Anybody, except us.

FGSU beat SDSU last night to go to the sweet 16. The exposure for this school must be incredible.
03-25-2013 06:31 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(03-25-2013 06:31 AM)Antarius Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 01:18 AM)tramile12 Wrote:  

Anybody, except us.

FGSU beat SDSU last night to go to the sweet 16. The exposure for this school must be incredible.

No, I'm pretty sure we can get into FGCU.
03-25-2013 06:53 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2013 01:38 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

Was more of a rhetorical question built out of my frustrations with the season. Watching this on ESPN last night made me think about what this kind of exposure would do for Rice. The beauty of college basketball is that small schools like VCU and Florida Gulf Coast can leap out of obscurity and become household names.

Regarding the establishments, there are big differences between starting from scratch and trying to remodel. This just shows that size, standards and all the other things that keep getting used as reasons for our lack of success aren't the only things that keep us from the big dance. If a small new school (FGCU) and an established top school (Harvard) can make the big dance, there has to be a way for us to do it as well.

Regarding Harvard, I read an interesting article that discussed that since Harvard fired their previous coach (his last recruiting class was Linsanity) that a group of boosters raised money to hire the new coach, admission standards for players have been dropped and the number of scholarships, ugh, I mean "grants," going to basketball players have increased. This has led to them out recruiting schools like USC, because they have basically stopped being an Ivy and started recruiting like any other school.
03-25-2013 08:29 AM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-25-2013 08:29 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(03-23-2013 01:38 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

Regarding Harvard, I read an interesting article that discussed that since Harvard fired their previous coach (his last recruiting class was Linsanity) that a group of boosters raised money to hire the new coach, admission standards for players have been dropped and the number of scholarships, ugh, I mean "grants," going to basketball players have increased. This has led to them out recruiting schools like USC, because they have basically stopped being an Ivy and started recruiting like any other school.

There has been some flack about Harvard basketball skirting the Ivy Academic Index.

http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2011/08/ri...-from.html
03-25-2013 08:55 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Same thing happened with Penn football years ago, when the coach was a guy named Jerry Berndt. He got used to having way more talent than the teams he went up against, then learned how the other half lives when he came here.
03-25-2013 09:05 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(03-25-2013 09:05 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Same thing happened with Penn football years ago, when the coach was a guy named Jerry Berndt. He got used to having way more talent than the teams he went up against, then learned how the other half lives when he came here.

Oh, man. Jerry Bernt was coach when I was here. Some of the worst football I've seen in my life. I was happy we got Goldsmith after.
03-25-2013 10:03 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
MyBB RE: OT - Florida Gulf Coast
(03-25-2013 08:29 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Regarding Harvard, I read an interesting article that discussed that since Harvard fired their previous coach (his last recruiting class was Linsanity) that a group of boosters raised money to hire the new coach, admission standards for players have been dropped and the number of scholarships, ugh, I mean "grants," going to basketball players have increased. This has led to them out recruiting schools like USC, because they have basically stopped being an Ivy and started recruiting like any other school.

Great. Where's our deep-pocketed boosters who can mimic their model? We are one of the seventeen or so schools who refer to ourselves as "Harvards of the South" after all.
03-25-2013 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.