Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Croom still has MSU fans' support
Bookmark and Share
Rmun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

<a href='http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1097140507201741.xml' target='_blank'>http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...40507201741.xml</a>

Croom still has MSU fans' support
Thursday, October 07, 2004
DOUG SEGREST
News staff writer
STARKVILLE, Miss. - The attorney's office on Main Street, an elegant walk-up, has been accessorized for homecoming.

"Go Dogs!" has been spray-painted in the front window.
The men's clothing store next door implores for a big win against UAB. Just down the street, maroon Mississippi State memorabilia competes with the latest bestsellers and "Go MSU" in the large panes of glass.

If Sylvester Croom's honeymoon is over - an allegation made last week in a Baltimore Sun article - the word has yet to reach the locals.

"I'm glad Coach Croom is here," said Melanie Green, a resident who is placing flyers promoting the upcoming Starkville Area Arts Council's big gala. "He's what we needed for a long time, from an attitude standpoint to teaching the right skills.

"You can't make the changes that needed to be made here overnight. It's going to take a while."

Give Mississippi State fans credit for two things in short supply across the Southeastern Conference: patience and understanding.

How many fans of SEC schools could take being a 11-point underdog at UAB? The Blazers (3-1) visit Starkville for a 1:30 p.m. game Saturday.

Croom, a Tuscaloosa native and former Alabama All-American, left the NFL last winter to part the gray clouds that loomed after a sour end to Jackie Sherrill's tenure. Speaking with a calm grace and straight-to-the-matter words he learned from his father, a former minister, Croom immediately endeared himself to Bulldogs fans.

But the love has been tested already. After opening the season with an impressive victory against Tulane, State has dropped four straight. Two of the losses - to Auburn and defending national champion LSU - were expected.

Not so an upset loss to Division I-AA Maine and a 31-13 loss at Vanderbilt last week.

"Probably the hardest thing I've had to do was sit through the Maine and Vanderbilt games," said Josh Thompson, an insurance agent and 2003 Mississippi State graduate. "This is the lowest it's ever been, and I've been a fan all of my life."

Thompson is only 24. Yet he believes the hard times State fans are enduring now - including a likely fourth straight losing season - are temporary.

"I still have a lot of faith in (Croom)," Thompson added. "He's been through so much in his life and he has always persevered. He will persevere here."

Attorney Julie Brown, whose daughter is on the MSU dance squad, agreed.

"There's some initial disappointment, but with it is a lot of sympathy for Sylvester Croom. The expectations were so high, but only because people want him to be successful."

Sammy Smith owns an upscale men's clothier on Main Street. Croom's predecessor, Jackie Sherrill, would occasionally shop at the store.

Smith liked Sherrill personally. But Croom won him over with the victory over Tulane - especially when a State player scored a touchdown, ran straight to the referee and handed the man in stripes the football.

"The kid said afterward, `We're here to play football,'" Smith said. "That impressed me.

"That's one thing I like about Coach Croom. He adopted so many of Bear Bryant's philosophies. He wants these kids not only to play football, but represent Mississippi State University."

Claire Hardin last saw Mississippi State go to a bowl game when she was a freshman in college. The recent MSU graduate attends every home game and will be at Scott Field Saturday, when the Bulldogs host UAB.

"He's given us what the team needs, and that's discipline," Hardin said. "That's evident to everyone in the number of penalties, which are way down."

At the bookstore on Main, salesclerk Tracie Templeton said State memorabilia - sweatshirts and teddy bears, coffee mugs and ball caps - sold briskly before and after the opening win against Tulane.

Even since the losses began piling up, "I haven't heard anyone complain," Templeton said. "We all remain optimistic. We know it's going to take awhile to build the program."
10-07-2004 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msudawgs64 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miss. State

frick the damn yankee rag Baltimore Sun. Croom still has my support. Wanna know why? I did not have high expectations for this season in terms of wins, to begin with unlike what the one lady stated, I figured 3 wins, maybe up to 5 but no more than that. Got to learn basic football skills first, or rather you have to crawl before you walk and need to walk before you run. The attitude is better, I am pretty sure they hate losing games with him as coach, last year, ah who cares, Sherrill was quitting on them, why should they not quit on him. By the way, if you also support Coach Croom like I do, send him an email, like I did, and let him know, he replies back to his emails, this I know. 04-cheers
10-08-2004 01:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tubadog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Do you have his e-mail address? I would like to send him one. The guy has my total support and a lot of MSU supporters in the Jackson area that I know. Sure, this season has been a big let down in a way, but I had no real high expectations to begin with. He's getting the job done. I just feel that he may have more to deal with that just football in terms of getting things right. There are obviously some off the field issues to correct as well. He's gonna get it done.
10-08-2004 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msudawgs64 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miss. State

here you go tubadog..

sly@athletics.msstate.edu

it took about 2 weeks before I got a reply but we were on the road plus I am going to say he is just a tad busy. :D
10-08-2004 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.