Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Davidson just choked, big time
Bookmark and Share
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Davidson just choked, big time
Why in the world did they try and throw that long pass at the end? Throw it in and cover up and make them foul you. Then they played NO defense at the end, that guy went to the rim with nobody challenging him. Bartow couldn't have drawn it up any worse.
03-puke
03-21-2013 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Davidson just choked, big time
I will give them props though, they outplayed Marquette the whole game. I was pretty impressed and had originally thought they had a bad draw to begin with. But yes, they gave that one away at the end. They made some terrific passes throughout. The whole time I kept thinking, my my Bartow could never draw any of these plays up.
03-21-2013 04:50 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2013 04:42 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Why in the world did they try and throw that long pass at the end? Throw it in and cover up and make them foul you. Then they played NO defense at the end, that guy went to the rim with nobody challenging him. Bartow couldn't have drawn it up any worse.
03-puke

I can't believe Davidson collapsed like that.
03-21-2013 05:19 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-21-2013 04:50 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  I will give them props though, they outplayed Marquette the whole game. I was pretty impressed and had originally thought they had a bad draw to begin with. But yes, they gave that one away at the end. They made some terrific passes throughout. The whole time I kept thinking, my my Bartow could never draw any of these plays up.

That last minute was classic Bartow, gave up 3 three's, threw it away and let the guy hit that uncontested layup to lose the game.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 05:51 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-21-2013 05:51 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Bartow wasn't coaching that game, but regardless.

I will tell you this is the second time where Bob McKillop has proven himself to be less than a strategist. If you remember when the Wildcats made their NCAA run five years ago or so, they had the ball, down by one, with 16 seconds left.

As I recall they elected to take the ball down court with absolutely no emphasis, burning about 12 seconds off the clock, and then giving the ball to a secondary player, not Curry, for the last shot, which was hardly an open one. Kansas wins.

That could have very easily been Davidson in the NCAA Finals that year if McKillop draws up a quality play or asks his players to play with any kind of intensity whatsoever.

Now this.

Since RodSpin wants to associate Bartow with the loss, I ask this.

Despite these gaffes at crunchtime that have killed the Wildcats, McKillop will remain as Davidson head coach. As he has since 1989.

The reason is because McKillop gives Davidson stability. He might not be who you want to call up your play for the last shot, but he can say "I've been to the Elite Eight" and has great media skills.

Bartow also is lacking as a strategist, but his media skills are probably better than anyone at the helm since Les Robinson. He can't say "I've been to the Elite Eight," but he can say "I've won the A-Sun Coach of the Year Awardmultiple times" and "I've taken ETSU to more NCAA Tournament appearances than any other coach in their history."

I've commented in the past that these are hollow, but, like McKillop, Bartow provides stability.

Take four players away from any coach and then watch him finish one result shy of .500 in the conference, and most fans will say said coach has done a good job.

I'm no fan of Mullins hires, but there is something to be said for stability as a coach.

If you're the OVC or SoCon and you're thinking about who to add as a conference member, hiring a new coach will make ETSU look like they are rebuilding.

If you keep Bartow, ETSU looks like a stable program off a bad year caused in large part because of the thug lifestyle of two of their players, not the coach.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 07:34 PM by ETSUfan1.)
03-21-2013 06:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Meanwhile, Harvard who lost their two best players and co-captains before the season started and weren't picked to win their league, just upset New Mexico.
03-21-2013 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-21-2013 11:23 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Meanwhile, Harvard who lost their two best players and co-captains before the season started and weren't picked to win their league, just upset New Mexico.

I meant to post something about Havard before the NCAA started and forgot. SENIOR co-captians no less. Cheating scandal.
Very young team to, 1 Senior and 1 Junior in the rotation, the rest Sophomores and Freshmen. Play a 4 guard offense with a 6'8 guy in the middle. How can a team win like that?
03-21-2013 11:55 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

So you're saying that's the norm? Please!
03-22-2013 08:22 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I am saying some coaches make excuses and tell their fans that his team can't be expected to beat BCS teams and other coaches don't take the easy way out. I know which kind of coach we have and I also know which kind the ETSU fanbase wants and deserves. I know the vast majority are tired of it.
03-22-2013 09:12 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2013 09:12 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  I am saying some coaches make excuses and tell their fans that his team can't be expected to beat BCS teams and other coaches don't take the easy way out. I know which kind of coach we have and I also know which kind the ETSU fanbase wants and deserves. I know the vast majority are tired of it.

Bingo!
03-23-2013 12:32 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Could someone please produce this Bartow quote? It's often referenced, but I'd like to see the context of it again. We all know Rod and his Spin capabilities and how Bunny gets stuff in his head.

It seems odd a coach who has beaten the likes of Georgia and Houston in his career at ETSU would say such a thing in the context you are presenting.

By the way, where was this assistant that was "thrown under the bus" yesterday? Did I miss something?
03-23-2013 01:02 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-23-2013 01:02 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Could someone please produce this Bartow quote? It's often referenced, but I'd like to see the context of it again. We all know Rod and his Spin capabilities and how Bunny gets stuff in his head.

It seems odd a coach who has beaten the likes of Georgia and Houston in his career at ETSU would say such a thing in the context you are presenting.

By the way, where was this assistant that was "thrown under the bus" yesterday? Did I miss something?

He said it on the radio to Jay. I am sure we were not the only ones who heard him say it.
03-23-2013 01:16 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Thanks.
03-23-2013 02:01 PM
Heisman

(03-23-2013 02:01 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Thanks.

I had said that already - perhaps in another thread. He said it at least twice; maybe a third time after another game. Yes, we all thought it more than "odd". "Shocking", "embarrassing", and "despicable" are closer adjectives I'd use.

And yeah, I got it in my head because it went in my ears. Simple explanation.
03-23-2013 02:08 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Well, now that you've chimed in, obviously I'll have to contact Jay and find out what Bartow REALLY said.
03-23-2013 03:02 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
He did say it Pitt, but since you didn't hear it, it probably didn't happen.
03-23-2013 03:49 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

In what context? That's all I'm asking.

If he said "We will never win against a BCS team here," then forget my defense of him earlier. He's a defeatest.

If he said "The odds are stacked against us whenever we play a BCS team. It's tough to beat 'em." Guess what? That's factual and I agree with him.

But you'll excuse me if after 10 years I know for a fact the above two yahoo posters are unreliable and have agendas. Heck, RodSpin had Bartow "throwing his assistants under the bus" this week.

Again, I ask, did I miss something? Anybody get canned yesterday? No?

And, Fan1, all due respect, but you're not exactly objective when it comes to Bartow, either.

So I think I'll go straight to the source.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 04:21 PM by PittsburghBucs.)
03-23-2013 04:20 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Not sure if anybody is going to get fired are not but pretty sure Bartow is NOT going to do it with 2 recruits on campus for a visit no matter what deal he reached to keep his job. As someone above mentioned he does have some donors with money in his corner, I am sure he leveraged that to the max. Wouldn't surprise me if someone on his staff goes away for some "reason" soon, guess we will see.
03-23-2013 07:45 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Sweet. And make sure you let us know what that source says.
03-23-2013 08:20 PM
Heisman

(03-23-2013 04:20 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  In what context? That's all I'm asking.

If he said "We will never win against a BCS team here," then forget my defense of him earlier. He's a defeatest.

If he said "The odds are stacked against us whenever we play a BCS team. It's tough to beat 'em." Guess what? That's factual and I agree with him.

But you'll excuse me if after 10 years I know for a fact the above two yahoo posters are unreliable and have agendas. Heck, RodSpin had Bartow "throwing his assistants under the bus" this week.

Again, I ask, did I miss something? Anybody get canned yesterday? No?

And, Fan1, all due respect, but you're not exactly objective when it comes to Bartow, either.

So I think I'll go straight to the source.

Yeah, please see if Jay can give you the exact quote. As I wrote in the other thread, I think it was, literally, "You're not going to win those games." He was making excuses for the bad record this year, no longer able to go on and on about "I've won 20 games every year I've been here except one" crap. He was talking about how tough the schedule was, that those were money games, and with losing 3 seniors, there were just reasons for the poor record.
And sure, some of that is true, but the W/L record doesn't *begin* to tell the story. But it was definitely in a "defeatist" frame of reference; no doubt about it. And one could hear it in his voice, too.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, for the sake of my detente agreement with Mr. Goldfinger, that you're not referring to me as one of the "yahoo posters" who's "unreliable". Everyone here knows you're the one who makes stuff up, so you're WAY off base almost whoever you're referring to. We're giving you a direct "quote". Remember on the old board when you were caught incorrectly quoting someone, using quotes, no less, you played it off as "paraphrasing"? Well, this is not like that. This is not paraphrasing. Those were his words.

Please let us know, if Jay has that tape (and I dare say he does), exactly what it says. Please. *We* know what he said, now we just want to hear *you* admit that we correctly heard, and correctly reported, what he actually said.
Even better, see if you can upload a clip of it to this board.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 12:06 AM by posterformerlyknownasthedoctor.)
03-24-2013 12:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.