Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where did the C7 money go?
Tampa Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
Where did the C7 money go?
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...eral-years

Quote:A new television deal with Fox Sports will bring XU’s annual take to nearly $2.5 million, compared to about $400,000 annually now from the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Graham said all conference members, including new invitees Xavier, Butler and Creighton, will share the television revenue equally.

For what it's worth, Graham is the XU president so I doubt he'd pass along bad info.

A little under $2.5 mil/yr sounds more realistic than upwards of $5 mil/yr but while we all heard the rumors and leaks of the football money falling, all we heard was the C7 gaining money. I'm a bit surprised they are going to Fox for that amount assuming ESPN would make a similar offer. Sure, it's still more than we're getting and they are locked into MSG for their tournament, but they are facing an uphill battle by not playing basketball on ESPN. The money helped make up for that, and now the money isn't really there compared to expectations.
03-20-2013 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Where did the C7 money go?
(03-20-2013 12:23 PM)Tampa Bearcat Wrote:  http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...eral-years

Quote:A new television deal with Fox Sports will bring XU’s annual take to nearly $2.5 million, compared to about $400,000 annually now from the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Graham said all conference members, including new invitees Xavier, Butler and Creighton, will share the television revenue equally.

For what it's worth, Graham is the XU president so I doubt he'd pass along bad info.

A little under $2.5 mil/yr sounds more realistic than upwards of $5 mil/yr but while we all heard the rumors and leaks of the football money falling, all we heard was the C7 gaining money. I'm a bit surprised they are going to Fox for that amount assuming ESPN would make a similar offer. Sure, it's still more than we're getting and they are locked into MSG for their tournament, but they are facing an uphill battle by not playing basketball on ESPN. The money helped make up for that, and now the money isn't really there compared to expectations.

I believe they are splitting the money unequally and the new schools get less than the C7
03-20-2013 12:26 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(03-20-2013 12:26 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 12:23 PM)Tampa Bearcat Wrote:  http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...eral-years

I believe they are splitting the money unequally and the new schools get less than the C7

Probably a little of both, not as high as rumored and the C7 will make more than the newcomers.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 12:29 PM by Lord2FLI.)
03-20-2013 12:29 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs

Read the quote again.

FWIW I had heard $3 million back in December.
03-20-2013 12:29 PM
Tampa Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

Even if you didn't click to read the article, the quoted portion clearly states they are sharing equally.
03-20-2013 12:30 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Sounds like the new schools put their foot down on the unequal revenue sharing idea.
03-20-2013 12:38 PM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Bait and switch. Either that, or the reports of big money since December have largely been exaggerated.
03-20-2013 12:43 PM
nastar36 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
IDK, maybe it's back loaded? At least on their board when announcements are made about media deals and new members they are not trying to tear each other apart. Will this conference ever unite?
03-20-2013 12:56 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

In the end, The BE is still getting more per school for just basketball than C-TBA will get for both basketball and football. Rather sobering.
03-20-2013 01:02 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-20-2013 12:56 PM)nastar36 Wrote:  IDK, maybe it's back loaded? At least on their board when announcements are made about media deals and new members they are not trying to tear each other apart. Will this conference ever unite?

This. Every TV deal is backloaded (from the Big Ten down to the Sun Belt). The average amounts per year that you always see quoted in the media isn't ever the amount that's paid in year 1.
03-20-2013 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(03-20-2013 12:56 PM)nastar36 Wrote:  IDK, maybe it's back loaded? At least on their board when announcements are made about media deals and new members they are not trying to tear each other apart. Will this conference ever unite?

Either its backloaded or it has yearly escalators. You can get to approximately $400 million over 12 years at 10 teams easily with a yearly compounded escalator of 5%.

Year 1 = $25 million
Year 2 = $26.3 million
Year 3 = $27.6 million
Year 12 = $42.76 million

When you account for a yearly raise of five percent, that comes out to $398.93 million over 12 years. That would be $477.5 million if they were starting out with 12 teams.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 01:10 PM by mattsarz.)
03-20-2013 01:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-20-2013 01:02 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  In the end, The BE is still getting more per school for just basketball than C-TBA will get for both basketball and football. Rather sobering.

Way more. Our basketball is going to be worth 6 million plus whatever we get from CBS. We likley end up with about 8 million total in basketball media revenue. So thats between 600K and 800K a school for basketball (assuming 10-12 team league, 800K for a 10 team league, 666K for a 12 team league). The C-7 will pull down about 3 to 4 times what we are getting for basketball. Pretty pathetic.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 01:15 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-20-2013 01:14 PM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Contract is for $600 million over 12 years. So, $50 million per year, minus 25 million school payouts, minus $2.5 million share to conference for operations, minus payments to C-7 schools for lost revenue to Leftover Conference (lets say $45 million payable over 2 years) and there you have it. No one said $2.5 is a number fixed for 12 years.
03-20-2013 01:17 PM
nastar36 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-20-2013 01:02 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  In the end, The BE is still getting more per school for just basketball than C-TBA will get for both basketball and football. Rather sobering.

They are a unit. They are very stable. They will never be picked apart by a power conference. A buyer knew what they were getting.

This conference was hemorrhaging schools at about one every three weeks with everyone else begging to get out. It's a damn miracle even one single network agreed to a small deal. No buyer knew what they were getting from week to week. If we unite, settle in and play ball our value will jump up considerably. Our ceiling is much higher, but under the circumstances it was foolish to think a big offer was coming.
03-20-2013 01:22 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(03-20-2013 01:17 PM)MU88 Wrote:  Contract is for $600 million over 12 years. So, $50 million per year, minus 25 million school payouts, minus $2.5 million share to conference for operations, minus payments to C-7 schools for lost revenue to Leftover Conference (lets say $45 million payable over 2 years) and there you have it. No one said $2.5 is a number fixed for 12 years.

Link on that $600M? I think most reports have bee either $400M or $500M aggregate value.
03-20-2013 01:29 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn

The $2.5 million comment referred to next year. It's standard practice with these kinds of TV contracts for them to be backloaded

Almost every article on the subject right up to today is reporting $500 million for 12 years. So, it sounds like the contract will average about $4 million per year, but will start at a lower number like $2.5 - $3 million and gradually work its way up to about $5 million by the end of the contract. That fits perfectly with earlier reports that indicated the value of the contract to be $3 - $5 million per member per year.
03-20-2013 01:40 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

Remember the left over football school receive BCS/playoff money plus the war chest left behind. We are going to be fine for money standpoint as a conference. The per school upside for a school without football is probably what Fox paid the C7. The upside for UConn, ECU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, and Temple is much higher if they land in a power conference or this conference remains stable and his allowed to build..
03-20-2013 01:52 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies
(03-20-2013 01:22 PM)nastar36 Wrote:  

They are a unit. They are very stable. They will never be picked apart by a power conference. A buyer knew what they were getting.

This conference was hemorrhaging schools at about one every three weeks with everyone else begging to get out. It's a damn miracle even one single network agreed to a small deal. No buyer knew what they were getting from week to week. If we unite, settle in and play ball our value will jump up considerably. Our ceiling is much higher, but under the circumstances it was foolish to think a big offer was coming.

Yup. We were in the worst possible negotiating position short of disbanding entirely, and the outcome reflects that.
03-20-2013 02:13 PM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-20-2013 01:29 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 01:17 PM)MU88 Wrote:  Contract is for $600 million over 12 years. So, $50 million per year, minus 25 million school payouts, minus $2.5 million share to conference for operations, minus payments to C-7 schools for lost revenue to Leftover Conference (lets say $45 million payable over 2 years) and there you have it. No one said $2.5 is a number fixed for 12 years.

Link on that $600M? I think most reports have bee either $400M or $500M aggregate value.

There are lots of them. Here is one from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Big East
03-20-2013 02:30 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(03-20-2013 01:52 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Remember the left over football school receive BCS/playoff money plus the war chest left behind. We are going to be fine for money standpoint as a conference. The per school upside for a school without football is probably what Fox paid the C7. The upside for UConn, ECU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, and Temple is much higher if they land in a power conference or this conference remains stable and his allowed to build..

I agree that a school that can land in a power conference from this league has a big upside. But the conference itself has no upside. Every single member except for UConn plays in the shadow of one of the big 5. There's no way that any TV network is going to pay big bucks for that. Maybe a couple of schools can do what TCU or Boise did and attract some attention. But sports is a zero sum game and there's no way for everyone to do well. This conference will largely remain a group of second tier schools as they were when they were in CUSA.
03-20-2013 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.