Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple Fans:
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Temple Fans:
What constitutes regional conference members?

Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Rutgers are all out of the question. Whom, outside of UMass, would be considered a positive addition to the conference, while being regional to Philadelphia and Hartford?
03-19-2013 06:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Temple Fans:
Excluding UMass, the only all sports addition even remotely local is Buffalo, and folks in CT sure don't consider Buffalo, NY local and I assume Philly folks don't either. And UMass is clearly a better add than Buffalo.

Unfortunately, the northeast doesn't have FBS programs at the less athletically prominent schools. Even fairly prominent schools like UConn and UMass, two state flagships, made the move only recently with UMass only having done so last year.

This is why if we want to have an actual presence in the Northeast and have local partners for UConn and Temple, UMass pretty much is the only way to go.
03-19-2013 07:22 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-19-2013 07:22 PM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  Excluding UMass, the only all sports addition even remotely local is Buffalo, and folks in CT sure don't consider Buffalo, NY local and I assume Philly folks don't either. And UMass is clearly a better add than Buffalo.

Unfortunately, the northeast doesn't have FBS programs at the less athletically prominent schools. Even fairly prominent schools like UConn and UMass, two state flagships, made the move only recently with UMass only having done so last year.

This is why if we want to have an actual presence in the Northeast and have local partners for UConn and Temple, UMass pretty much is the only way to go.

:iagree:
03-19-2013 07:26 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(03-19-2013 07:22 PM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  Excluding UMass, the only all sports addition even remotely local is Buffalo, and folks in CT sure don't consider Buffalo, NY local and I assume Philly folks don't either. And UMass is clearly a better add than Buffalo.

You know, ODU is roughly the same distance from Philadelphia, as Miami is to Orlando. JS.
03-19-2013 07:51 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-19-2013 07:51 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

You know, ODU is roughly the same distance from Philadelphia, as Miami is to Orlando. JS.

Soooo....You asked the (original) question....WHY?
03-19-2013 08:39 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(03-19-2013 08:39 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

To see if there was some team that might have slipped my mind. UMass is... not very attractive of an option.
03-19-2013 08:41 PM
Advertisement

ScreamShatter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple

I think "regional" is a reference to the megalopolis which is DC to Boston. The schools in that area have traditionally had close rivalries with each other.

With that being said, the structure of national athletics has changed with schools like Syracuse, Rutgers, Boston College, and even Maryland to some extent leaving their traditional NE rivalries for new national rivals. So I don't think we need a lot of NE schools, but I do think it would help UConn and Temple with attendance and integration into this new conference.
03-19-2013 08:47 PM
ScreamShatter Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2013 08:41 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

To see if there was some team that might have slipped my mind. UMass is... not very attractive of an option.

Personally, I don't think any of the options left are very attractive. In reality, Tulsa, USM, and UMass all have their pros and cons. Which one will benefit the league most in the long run? Who knows....
03-19-2013 08:51 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(03-19-2013 08:51 PM)ScreamShatter Wrote:  

Personally, I don't think any of the options left are very attractive. In reality, Tulsa, USM, and UMass all have their pros and cons. Which one will benefit the league most in the long run? Who knows....

Let's just hope that ACC implosion is right around the corner, so the current BE can just merge with the 5 ACC remnants. Chances are they will be BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Wake Forest, and any of Louisville / Miami / GT?

That's nice league right there, and it gets everyone happy.
03-19-2013 09:17 PM
vaNtR Offline
Bench Warmer

Personally, I want to add UMass as a full-member and VCU as an Olympic sports member. I know many other Temple fans feel the same.
03-19-2013 09:23 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(03-19-2013 09:23 PM)vaNtR Wrote:  Personally, I want to add UMass as a full-member and VCU as an Olympic sports member. I know many other Temple fans feel the same.

I think everyone wants to add VCU as an Oly. Where we disagree is UMass.

While we're adding Oly's why not add 2 more? There are plenty of programs to be had once the C7BE has their pick of schools (including Creighton, Xavier, Butler so far). We could have our pick of VCU, St. Louis, Wichita State...

People complain about the hybrid setup but fail to realize two things:

1. It worked for a long, long time (in terms of modern sports)
2. Basketball schools were powerful and numerous in the Big East (7 Catholic Schools + ND hold a lot of sway). If one limits the number of Oly's to say... 3, that is not very significant in terms of voting powers, and provides instant basketball cred. Conference TBD could be a 6-7 bid league each and every year with Cinci, Temple, Memphis, UConn, and your choice of three top programs from lower conferences.
03-19-2013 09:34 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Army would be a great local rival for UConn and Temple. If we could get Army & Navy for #11 or #12, that would be nice.

Or Tulsa & Navy, or Tulsa & UMass are ok, too.
03-19-2013 09:37 PM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN

Are you suggesting that ODU would be a better long term full member than UMass? If so, I have a hard time understanding that. Both would be new FBS programs but one is a large public state school that I think could develop in this current set up. Understand that UConn fans look down at UMass and have never wanted to share a conference with them. Now it seems to make sense though.
03-19-2013 09:38 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(03-19-2013 09:38 PM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  

Are you suggesting that ODU would be a better long term full member than UMass? If so, I have a hard time understanding that. Both would be new FBS programs but one is a large public state school that I think could develop in this current set up. Understand that UConn fans look down at UMass and have never wanted to share a conference with them. Now it seems to make sense though.

If it makes sense to you guys, and you believe that having games against Temple and UConn would build a strong program out of UMass, then you've sold me. Quite frankly I'd prefer to support the ideals of the programs currently in the conference to the isolated potential of programs with no connection to the conference at the moment. Though it should be stated that UMass and Tulsa are about equal in terms of connection. If UConn can fill a 40k seat stadium I see no reason why UMass cant. It's just going to take patience.
03-19-2013 09:43 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I will say, Flagship / Land Grant University... UMass does have that going for them... not much else, but they do have that.
03-19-2013 09:47 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:
Temple Fans:
(03-19-2013 08:47 PM)ScreamShatter Wrote:  

I think "regional" is a reference to the megalopolis which is DC to Boston. The schools in that area have traditionally had close rivalries with each other.

With that being said, the structure of national athletics has changed with schools like Syracuse, Rutgers, Boston College, and even Maryland to some extent leaving their traditional NE rivalries for new national rivals. So I don't think we need a lot of NE schools, but I do think it would help UConn and Temple with attendance and integration into this new conference.

There isn't a NE "neighbor" we could add that UConn or Temple fans wouldn't ***** about. They don't want a nearby regional school. Well, they do. But they're in the ACC.
03-19-2013 09:48 PM
Advertisement

Owls_Law Offline
Bench Warmer

I don't think you missed any other FBS programs that might be a potential regional partner for UConn and Temple other than UMass. There may be some others, but they are currently FCS, like Delaware and would take some time to groom. Army might be a good FB-only partner for Navy, but they may not be interested in joining a conference again after their previous bad experience in a conference. We pretty much had our way with them in our game with them last year. Although UMass currently isn't competitive in FB, would help on the BB side. As the OP stated, VCU would also help with BB. Don't know the state of their FB program or even if their interested in developing that.
03-19-2013 09:48 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

One thing is for certain. I wish all this speculation was behind us. I'm ready to start playing the games.
03-19-2013 09:51 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:
Temple Fans:
(03-19-2013 09:47 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  I will say, Flagship / Land Grant University... UMass does have that going for them... not much else, but they do have that.

In name only. They are perceived to be a safety school for people in Massachusetts. A complete after thought. They are maybe the 15th best school in the state. And even among schools in the UMass system, I'm not sure people in Mass really see a difference between UMass Boston, Lowell, and Amherst. The endowment of UMass is about the same as UCF, and we are talking about an exceedingly wealthy state.

The school is in crisis, to be honest. It has no identity, and they are trying to use football to build that flagship identity. But it won't work. People in Massachusetts with college bound kids send them to private schools, and if they don't have the money, the kids get scholarships to UNH or UConn or UVM. Or they go to Framingham State or Bridgewater State which are decent commuter options. Nobody wants to spend 4 years in Amherst, unless you got into Amherst College.

To be honest, the entire public higher Ed system in mass has no credibility with most of the residents. My friends from Mass all came from working class backgrounds in north shore metro Boston, all went to private schools or lower-tier publics out of state. UMass means nothing to them. Western Mass isn't even "real Massachusetts" to them.

I'm against adding UMass, but Im REALLY against adding them based on some perception that their "flagship" status means a damn thing in that state for any purposes. They have no potential at all. If you're not from there, it's hard to explain. "Flagship" means something in most states, not in Mass.
03-19-2013 10:07 PM
Tampa Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
I don't think UMass brings enough to the table to take on the risk of them being on an island in a couple of years. I don't know why this conference would cater to UConn or Temple anyway. Nothing against those schools. I wouldn't cater to UC, either.
03-19-2013 10:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.