SLU might still be in the mix for 2013
03-18-2013 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: SLU might still be in the mix for 2013
(03-18-2013 12:44 PM)SLUDrew Wrote:  http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/b...13972.html

Thats a first i've heard of the push to skip the year of 10. I hope thats the case and we have the MVC champs, Big East champs AND the A-10 champs on board to start the new line up.
03-18-2013 01:16 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I easily could see it happen quite frankly. What will be most interesting to watch is if they announce this week or if we wait. I think if we announce this week at 10, that's likely how many we start out with. If we don't announce this week- I'd say it's likely we're going to 12 for startup.
03-18-2013 01:30 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
That wouldn't shock me at all. The fixation on going to 10 teams for the 2013 always seemed to be more about the lack of consensus on team #12 as opposed to really wanting to stay at 10 teams in the long-term. I think most of us agree that SLU has been slotted in as #11 - it's hard for me to see how they could get passed up with the size of their TV market combined with how they're playing on the court right now.

I'll say this much (and I say this as someone that still believes institutional fit is critical): VCU isn't going to make it easy to figure out team #12 if Pete Thamel is correct that some schools like Marquette are pushing for them. More than even where they ended up seeded on-the-court, it's the fact that the A-10 tournament in Brooklyn was dominated by VCU fans that's at least going to give some of the Big East powers that be some pause in terms of the best way to keep Madison Square Garden. In the wacky world of conference realignment, that fan showing might actually have done more to help VCU's candidacy than the Final Four run in 2011.

NOTE: Apologies for not putting this in the VCU Thread, but I think it's a relevant tangent.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 02:16 PM by Frank the Tank.)
03-18-2013 02:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

Just curious, admittedly didn't catch much of the A10 tourney, but did see some of the SLU sf win- seemed like SLU's fans were repping solidly in Brooklyn as well. I wonder if the same thing you're saying about VCU Frank would be the case with SLU as well. I mean- to get realistically top 2 and then 3/4 from the A10(and what Xavier finished 7th so 4/7) and then top 1 from MVC- that's huge. That makes a HUGE splash.
03-18-2013 02:23 PM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
SLU (and Dayton) potentially joining in 2013 may end up being similar to VCU and Butler joining the A10 on short notice this year. There is a rumor floating around the A10 that SLU's and Dayton's presidents were told at Friday's A10 meeting that they are welcome to remain in the A10 for next year, but that their teams will be prohibited from participating for A10 championships. If you'll recall, there were media reports on Friday that presdients other than Xavier's and Butler's left the meeting Friday morning and it wouldn't be shocking if those two schools left after receiving that news. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the A10 did issue an ultimatum. I'm sure they don't want two teams in the conference for a lame duck year after having four lame duck teams this year and they no doubt want the additional exit fee money and reduced travel expenses they would get by having SLU and Dayton leave at the end of June. We'll see whether this rumor turns out to be accurate, but the rumors on Friday were that the meeting wasn't exactly collegial and this is in keeping with that theme.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 03:26 PM by LostInSpace.)
03-18-2013 03:25 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(03-18-2013 03:25 PM)LostInSpace Wrote:  SLU (and Dayton) potentially joining in 2013 may end up being similar to VCU and Butler joining the A10 on short notice this year. There is a rumor floating around the A10 that SLU's and Dayton's presidents were told at Friday's A10 meeting that they are welcome to remain in the A10 for next year, but that their teams will be prohibited from participating for A10 championships. If you'll recall, there were media reports on Friday that presdients other than Xavier's and Butler's left the meeting Friday morning and it wouldn't be shocking if those two schools left after receiving that news. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the A10 did issue an ultimatum. I'm sure they don't want two teams in the conference for a lame duck year after having four lame duck teams this year and they no doubt want the additional exit fee money and reduced travel expenses they would get by having SLU and Dayton leave at the end of June. We'll see whether this rumor turns out to be accurate, but the rumors on Friday were that the meeting wasn't exactly collegial and this is in keeping with that theme.

From this report the pressure is coming from Fox who wants us to skip the lead in year and just go full on 12 and start from the get go. As a fan i'm in Fox's corner on this one. Lets just go to 12 and play! haha
03-18-2013 03:30 PM
Billikens88 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SLU
(03-18-2013 03:30 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 03:25 PM)LostInSpace Wrote:  SLU (and Dayton) potentially joining in 2013 may end up being similar to VCU and Butler joining the A10 on short notice this year. There is a rumor floating around the A10 that SLU's and Dayton's presidents were told at Friday's A10 meeting that they are welcome to remain in the A10 for next year, but that their teams will be prohibited from participating for A10 championships. If you'll recall, there were media reports on Friday that presdients other than Xavier's and Butler's left the meeting Friday morning and it wouldn't be shocking if those two schools left after receiving that news. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the A10 did issue an ultimatum. I'm sure they don't want two teams in the conference for a lame duck year after having four lame duck teams this year and they no doubt want the additional exit fee money and reduced travel expenses they would get by having SLU and Dayton leave at the end of June. We'll see whether this rumor turns out to be accurate, but the rumors on Friday were that the meeting wasn't exactly collegial and this is in keeping with that theme.

From this report the pressure is coming from Fox who wants us to skip the lead in year and just go full on 12 and start from the get go. As a fan i'm in Fox's corner on this one. Lets just go to 12 and play! haha

And as noted in the above video, SLU has said money (exit fees, etc) would not be an issue. They will put cash on the table. Call up SLU/Dayton or SLU/VCU and lets get this on the road.
03-18-2013 04:32 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

a SLU/VCU combo- with Butler and Creighton- that's 4 top 25 teams this year(I know Butler is just out of the top 25, but still they are good). Plus I think with all 5- you'd see MSG hopping.

I was wondering if the A10 was going to do that next year.
03-18-2013 04:35 PM
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
I like VCU more and more. A poster above was right: their fans dominated Barclay's. I know they are public, but the whole premise of this conference is to be the best at basketball as possible. The C7 wanted the media to call them the Basketball 7. If that is the goal, I think VCU has to be a favorite.

Still don't think they are going to be in, but I would take them at 12.
03-18-2013 05:02 PM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I never thought that for SLU and/or Dayton that the issue is the money. But if the rumors are accurate it gives them and the BE added incentive to figure out a way to make the move now rather than in a year. I don't doubt Fox's motivation to get to twelve sooner rather than later either. Starting at ten has seemed shortsighted to me. Ayway, just thought it was interesting that something I thought the A10 might do to uh ... encourage the other departing teams to expedite their plans may in fact be happening.

Also, just my opinion, but I'll be surprised if VCU gets invited.
03-18-2013 05:45 PM
Advertisement

Title Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Butler
If we actually go to 12 this year, Dayton is out of luck.

There is absolutely no way that after capitulating to Creighton at 10 that Georgetown is going to settle for anything less than Richmond (SLU assumed).

I doubt it happens, but if we go to 12, congrats Spiders.
03-18-2013 05:47 PM
Eight Legger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Richmond
(03-18-2013 05:47 PM)Title Wrote:  If we actually go to 12 this year, Dayton is out of luck.

There is absolutely no way that after capitulating to Creighton at 10 that Georgetown is going to settle for anything less than Richmond (SLU assumed).

I doubt it happens, but if we go to 12, congrats Spiders.

Agree with this. We can stroke a check any time to get out of the A-10, and the new-look Robins Center will be ready to go by October. We already have UNC, Florida, Minnesota, Belmont, Wake and possibly Louisville scheduled for next season, so we'll bring a nice RPI to the league. Where do we sign??
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 05:58 PM by Eight Legger.)
03-18-2013 05:58 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(03-18-2013 05:02 PM)bmorex Wrote:  I like VCU more and more. A poster above was right: their fans dominated Barclay's. I know they are public, but the whole premise of this conference is to be the best at basketball as possible. The C7 wanted the media to call them the Basketball 7. If that is the goal, I think VCU has to be a favorite.

Butler isn't Catholic. Not sure it implies anything about VCU.
03-18-2013 06:33 PM
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-18-2013 06:33 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 05:02 PM)bmorex Wrote:  I like VCU more and more. A poster above was right: their fans dominated Barclay's. I know they are public, but the whole premise of this conference is to be the best at basketball as possible. The C7 wanted the media to call them the Basketball 7. If that is the goal, I think VCU has to be a favorite.

Yes I know but it is still institutionally similar to the 7 other schools. VCU is not.
03-18-2013 06:36 PM
HoyaAnt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgetown
I will say this much, if there is no announcement made before the start this tournament it could bold well for VCU. It may give some teams who are on the fence about them to evaluate how they perform during the first couple of rounds. However, if the opposite happens, then its a wrap for VCU joining the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 07:07 PM by HoyaAnt.)
03-18-2013 07:03 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
id love to read what the debate is for #12. if its between 2 schools could a 3rd emerge as a compromise?
03-18-2013 08:21 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(03-18-2013 06:36 PM)bmorex Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 06:33 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Yes I know but it is still institutionally similar to the 7 other schools. VCU is not.

Right, but that doesn't mean they are implying VCU. Butler not being Catholic is the most easily explained rationale behind not wanting the Catholic 7 name brandied about (ie, Occam's razor).
03-18-2013 08:40 PM
Natty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: VCU

VCU Fan here, so obviously somewhat biased, but I will say having just returned from the A-10 tournament (great fun by the way), I was SHOCKED by how bad some of the teams traveled (and I'm sure some of you have seen this in Atlantic City, etc). Coming from the CAA last year, I can honestly say that was some of the worst team attendance I have seen in years.

I honestly thought at the time, "man...if that team is in the Big East playing that other team in for a Big East Championship...it is literally going to make MSG look like the MEAC title game".

The new Big East will have some great home courts, but from what I saw this weekend...the tournament might be in big trouble as far as attendance.
03-18-2013 10:43 PM
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

Well just to provide the opposing view, this was the first year that the opening round games were played on site. In prior years, the first round was played on Tuesday at the better seeds home court. Also, AC was almost always filled by fans from nearby schools of Temple, Lasalle, and St Joe's. That was always my worry about moving the tourney to Brooklyn. Lets be honest, Fordham fans just aren't gonna carry the weight.

It also didn't help that Xavier and Dayton, both who have good traveling Fan bases, were knocked out in the first round.
03-18-2013 10:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.