Bearcats React to NCAA Tournament Selection

03-17-2013 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Intimidate Dominate Celebrate Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Bearcats React to NCAA Tournament Selection
Interesting Mick said he's looking forward to the tournament where it won't be officiated like a football game. I would think he wants to rough up McDermott and co.

03-17-2013 09:48 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Big East games in general were ridiculous this year. That's no longer basketball that was being played.

03-17-2013 09:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-17-2013 09:54 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Big East games in general were ridiculous this year. That's no longer basketball that was being played.

Did you watch UC in the Big East tournament. You don't think UC was physical in its defense?

03-17-2013 10:17 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Not sure what the heck Mick is talking about....granted they let you play most Big East games but seems like that is what we want isnt is?!?!? Guarantee you Creighton isn't used to physical...as stated time and again I go to Missouri State games on a regular basis, I see a LOT of Missouri Valley games (including creighton) and it's not a physical league at all.

Having said that, the UC Gtown game was called close and it resulted in 3/4 of our team in foul trouble before half time it seemed like (hyperbole I know).

03-18-2013 06:47 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

We know the Bearcats will play great defense. Who should we compare Creighton to from opponents this season? Not having seen them play, I'm wondering if their high field goal percentage/# of assists means they'll play like that Notre Dame team that proved to be a real headache for UC this season.

03-18-2013 08:18 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-18-2013 08:18 AM)indycat Wrote:  We know the Bearcats will play great defense. Who should we compare Creighton to from opponents this season? Not having seen them play, I'm wondering if their high field goal percentage/# of assists means they'll play like that Notre Dame team that proved to be a real headache for UC this season.

I think that's fair, though Creighton does not have the a guard who can create for himself like Grant can. I think Creighton is a really bad matchup for UC. McDermont is going to be a load and any help given could result in open threes. I think UC can win, but not nearly as confident as I was against first round opponents Missouri (most confident I've been in a first round opponent who is pretty good, that was the absolute perfect matchup for that UC team) and Texas.

03-18-2013 08:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
UC is a finesse offensive team and a physical defensive team. Mick wants it officiated tighter but that will simply sacrifice defense for offense. Hopefully in the long run that will be a net gain for this team.

03-18-2013 08:45 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(03-18-2013 08:18 AM)indycat Wrote:  We know the Bearcats will play great defense. Who should we compare Creighton to from opponents this season? Not having seen them play, I'm wondering if their high field goal percentage/# of assists means they'll play like that Notre Dame team that proved to be a real headache for UC this season.

It is a very tough matchup given how well Creighton shoots the ball and spreads you out. As well as great defensive effort we are going to have to be very smart on defense and not go for head/pump fakes and not leave open shooters on double teams or switches. What worries me a bit is given how much they spread the floor and if our guards have to come out to stop their outside shooters we are left with our inferior inside game to try to stop drives or their inside players. They will be able to get matchups they want inside.

03-18-2013 08:46 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(03-18-2013 08:45 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  UC is a finesse offensive team and a physical defensive team. Mick wants it officiated tighter but that will simply sacrifice defense for offense. Hopefully in the long run that will be a net gain for this team.

I think the other thing Mick meant in that interview is that while our defense is very good (especially the guards), we are not a physical team on the inside at all. We don't take charges or shut down the other team's post players. We get some blocks but we are soft inside.

03-18-2013 08:48 AM
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2013 10:17 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  
(03-17-2013 09:54 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Big East games in general were ridiculous this year. That's no longer basketball that was being played.

Did you watch UC in the Big East tournament. You don't think UC was physical in its defense?

Huh? I think UC was very physical. I am just saying the way the officials don't bother to call fouls in the Big East is ridiculous. Whenever you put both hands on a defender, or grab part of his body, that should be a foul. There were Big East games this year where a player almost had to use a weapon to draw a whistle.

03-18-2013 09:18 AM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
(03-18-2013 08:48 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 08:45 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  UC is a finesse offensive team and a physical defensive team. Mick wants it officiated tighter but that will simply sacrifice defense for offense. Hopefully in the long run that will be a net gain for this team.

I think the other thing Mick meant in that interview is that while our defense is very good (especially the guards), we are not a physical team on the inside at all. We don't take charges or shut down the other team's post players. We get some blocks but we are soft inside.

I agree. We play tough hard nosed defense, but inside we are not really all that physical and get a lot of blocks from help and are pretty good at timing moves to get blocks. Mbodj seems to get a lot of ticky tack fouls that typically aren't fouls in the Big East, so he likely will get his usual fouls. Luckily we have a lot of fouls to give down low, but I think one of the big guys will need to step up and at least rebound and maybe get some put backs.

03-18-2013 09:36 AM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(03-18-2013 08:45 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

I think that's fair, though Creighton does not have the a guard who can create for himself like Grant can. I think Creighton is a really bad matchup for UC. McDermont is going to be a load and any help given could result in open threes. I think UC can win, but not nearly as confident as I was against first round opponents Missouri (most confident I've been in a first round opponent who is pretty good, that was the absolute perfect matchup for that UC team) and Texas.

Totally agree Mark. You and I had a little back and forth during the GTown game about whether UC was playing zone or man. And I think that trend will continue against a team like Creighton who runs offensive sets. Our guys get confused on assignments in the zone and I have a tough time determining if they are manning their guy or just misplaying their zone assignment. Our guys bite on the pick and roll consistently for open layups and we seem to get screened at a high rate.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 09:56 AM by Billy_Bearcat.)
03-18-2013 09:55 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
UC’s initial allotment of tickets for the Bearcats’ game against Creighton in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia is sold out, the UC athletics ticket office announced Wednesday.

03-20-2013 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.