Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big XII Tourney Attendance at KC Missouri
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Big XII Tourney Attendance at KC Missouri
Attendance has exceeded 19,000 each and every day of the tourney. As much as the Missouri Tigers departure from the Big XII has left the KC venue at the Sprint Center in jeopardy, the Big XII might want to take a hard look at how awesome KC has been for the Big XII...04-rock
03-16-2013 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
RE: Big XII Tourney Attendance at KC Missouri
With KU and Kstate making it to the championship, and both schools having large alumni numbers in the KC metro, its not surprising. I saw a ton of Iowa St fans in town as well and a few Oklahoma fans. I didn't see a single fan wearing gear from any other school downtown on thurs and friday but I did see a few Texas plates in my parking garage (I work 2 blocks from the Sprint Center)
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 07:47 PM by msu_bears.)
03-16-2013 07:46 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
KU vs KSU in KC for the title = perfect storm you want every year
03-16-2013 09:07 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

Wink RE: Big XII Tourney Attendance at KC Missouri
(03-16-2013 09:07 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  KU vs KSU in KC for the title = perfect storm you want every year
True that the Kansas schools have helped, but Musburger said they have packed the place every day.
03-16-2013 09:15 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Haven't the Jayhawks won 10 regular season titles in a row? I can't imagine being in a conference like that, even if the schools have passionate fans and the tourney draws 19K. Not much drama in that conference.

I'm looking forward to what was the Big East: UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, and Memphis will be fighting it out. And next year I think we still have Louisville.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 11:10 PM by UConn-SMU.)
03-16-2013 10:09 PM
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
19k???? Is that the combined total? Most of those games I saw on TV the bottom level was about half full. I smell massive attendance padding.
03-16-2013 10:10 PM
Advertisement

msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
(03-16-2013 10:10 PM)gocards#1 Wrote:  19k???? Is that the combined total? Most of those games I saw on TV the bottom level was about half full. I smell massive attendance padding.

The local KU/Kstate fans probably bought most of the all session tickets and only went to the games their team was playing in.
03-17-2013 12:11 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Still that is a good total. 04-cheers
03-17-2013 12:16 AM
illusionescape Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas, Houston
Wednesday
Texas Tech vs West Virginia & TCU vs Texas: 17,018

Thursday
Iowa State vs Oklahoma & Texas Tech vs Kansas: 17,996
Texas vs Kansas State & Baylor vs Oklahoma State: 17,257

Friday
Iowa State vs Kansas & Oklahoma State vs Kansas State: 19,160

Saturday
Kansas State vs Kansas: 19,256
03-17-2013 12:44 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The WVU fans that went were impressed with the venue, even though not many went. WVU wasn't expected to go far, and the fan turnout reflected that expectation. They were proven right too... 03-banghead

But the Sprint Center has all the amenities that are lacking at MSG...
03-17-2013 08:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-16-2013 10:09 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Haven't the Jayhawks won 10 regular season titles in a row? I can't imagine being in a conference like that, even if the schools have passionate fans and the tourney draws 19K. Not much drama in that conference.

I'm looking forward to what was the Big East: UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, and Memphis will be fighting it out. And next year I think we still have Louisville.

That is like saying I don't want to be SEC because Alabama always wins. Or, I don't want in ACC because Duke always wins.
03-17-2013 08:26 AM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
B12 alternates its basketball tourney from KC, OKC, and Dallas. All three locations are very driveable for most all B12 fans.

Ditto for ACC and Greensboro.
03-17-2013 08:30 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(03-17-2013 08:26 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(03-16-2013 10:09 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Haven't the Jayhawks won 10 regular season titles in a row? I can't imagine being in a conference like that, even if the schools have passionate fans and the tourney draws 19K. Not much drama in that conference.

That is like saying I don't want to be SEC because Alabama always wins. Or, I don't want in ACC because Duke always wins.

At least Alabama has been challenged in the past by LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, etc.

No one challenges Kansas.
03-17-2013 09:36 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

Kansas is a great program but they did benefit a lot from the old divisional match up, especially in the Old Big 12's final years when UT, OU, OSU, BU and A&M all had ranked programs.

The South would beat itself up while KU only had to play each South team once and only half of them away from the Phog. Combine that with a North that included NU, CU (the 2 worst BB teams in the league), an OK but rarely great ISU and KU really only had to get past rivalry games with KSU and MU and they were virtually guaranteed the North title and the #1 seed almost every year.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 10:29 AM by 10thMountain.)
03-17-2013 10:27 AM
kurtrundell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
(03-17-2013 10:27 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Kansas is a great program but they did benefit a lot from the old divisional match up, especially in the Old Big 12's final years when UT, OU, OSU, BU and A&M all had ranked programs.

The South would beat itself up while KU only had to play each South team once and only half of them away from the Phog. Combine that with a North that included NU, CU (the 2 worst BB teams in the league), an OK but rarely great ISU and KU really only had to get past rivalry games with KSU and MU and they were virtually guaranteed the North title and the #1 seed almost every year.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Big XII basketball. First, there is no North or South title unless you're name is Missouri. Those teams you listed have only beaten KU - combined, regular season + Big XII tournament - maybe 12 times in the past 10 years. Total. TOTAL! KU beats them at home, on the road, on neutral courts. The only team that's had any decent success against KU is OSU -- Self is something like 5-4 in Stillwater. KU's also won a NC and been to two NCGs in the past 5 years. The only other FF teams in Big XII history are OU, UT and OSU, in that order.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 11:02 AM by kurtrundell.)
03-17-2013 11:00 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

Like I said, KU is great, but would they have had that level of success if they had to play all the South teams twice each year and one of those always at their places?

I think KU still would have won a lot of trophies, but I also think they wouldn't have 10 straight regular season titles either.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 11:47 AM by 10thMountain.)
03-17-2013 11:47 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2013 08:30 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  B12 alternates its basketball tourney from KC, OKC, and Dallas. All three locations are very driveable for most all B12 fans.

Ditto for ACC and Greensboro.
http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2013/...e-we-come/

KC has inked a deal with the Big XII through 2016.
03-17-2013 12:40 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
KC is ideally located for several current fanbases, even with the loss of Nebraska and Missouri. It helps that KSU is on the upswing, but many other schools travel well for it. There was even a feature in the KC paper this week about WVU alums making the trip. We have a good modern arena and the locals support the tournament well and put in the effort to make it a good experience for visitors.
03-17-2013 03:27 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(03-17-2013 08:23 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The WVU fans that went were impressed with the venue, even though not many went. WVU wasn't expected to go far, and the fan turnout reflected that expectation. They were proven right too... 03-banghead

You missed out on the renovations at MSG. Top of the line all across the board.
03-17-2013 03:48 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(03-17-2013 03:48 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-17-2013 08:23 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The WVU fans that went were impressed with the venue, even though not many went. WVU wasn't expected to go far, and the fan turnout reflected that expectation. They were proven right too... 03-banghead

You missed out on the renovations at MSG. Top of the line all across the board.
Not really. MSG doesn't have half the space the Sprint Center has. There's just not enough room to put in all the stuff you'll find in KC...
03-17-2013 06:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.