Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spring Ball 2013!!!
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Spring Ball 2013!!!
UNT Spring Ball!!!

[Image: slideshow-22.png]

Spring football is about to get underway. I'll be stopping by practice from time to time and will post information on this thread. I'll also post links to stories about spring practice. It should be fun.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 06:28 PM by Side Show Joe.)
03-14-2013 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Spring Ball 2013!!!
Battles to watch, and questions going into Spring:

QB- Thompson comes back for his senior season, but Brock Berglund, the one time Kansas player will surely challenge for the starting job.

RB- Jimmerson and Byrd are back. Jim is returning from a season ending injury. Both will be challenged by Pigram, a talented transfer from Purdue.

C- UNT will have to find a center for a solid line that only gave up six sacks last season.

DE- K.C. Obi is gone and the Mean Green will need someone to step up this spring.

THE SECONDARY- although many players return, you get the feeling Coach Mac expected more from this group last season.

P- Atterberry was a great punter once he switched to a one step drop. UNT didn't pick up a scholarship punter. Will we see a drop off at this position?

KR/PR- Chancellor was great before he was injured. I expect him to return to form this season.Will another playmaker also step up and contribute?
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 09:53 AM by Side Show Joe.)
03-14-2013 09:52 AM
Lee Moses Offline
2nd String

Good posts. Actually, I can't think of a position other than MLB and a couple of spots on the O-line where there are not questions to answer.

WR - Very weak last year. Will Terrell be the big-time playmaker on the outside we need? Or is Stradford-type performance (i.e., demand double-teaming because of speed and athleticism, but not run crisp routes or make enough key catches) the best we can hope for? Will the guys we redshirted (Shrapps, Lancaster) last year be able to contribute? Are some other guys who have shown promise (e.g., Derrick Teegarden, Lynrick Pleasant, Carlos Harris) going to be able to step it up to the next level?

Looking forward to finding out how the new Jucos do, especially James Jones and Quenton Brown.

I'm looking forward to reading your posts on spring practice.

- Lee
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 11:48 AM by Lee Moses.)
03-15-2013 11:48 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2013 11:48 AM)Lee Moses Wrote:  Good posts. Actually, I can't think of a position other than MLB and a couple of spots on the O-line where there are not questions to answer.

WR - Very weak last year. Will Terrell be the big-time playmaker on the outside we need? Or is Stradford-type performance (i.e., demand double-teaming because of speed and athleticism, but not run crisp routes or make enough key catches) the best we can hope for? Will the guys we redshirted (Shrapps, Lancaster) last year be able to contribute? Are some other guys who have shown promise (e.g., Derrick Teegarden, Lynrick Pleasant, Carlos Harris) going to be able to step it up to the next level?

Looking forward to finding out how the new Jucos do, especially James Jones and Quenton Brown.

I'm looking forward to reading your posts on spring practice.

- Lee

I think you are right about the WR position. With Chancellor coming back for his SR year and Harris putting up quality catches at the end of last season, I think our WR corp will be stronger this season. Terrell looks great on paper. I think he will be the real deal for UNT.
03-17-2013 12:50 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is a link to the Mean Green roster going into Spring ball. The weights have not been adjusted from last season, but it gives an understanding of what we have back, and information on the new players.

http://www.meangreensports.com/SportSele...SPSID=9053
03-17-2013 12:53 PM
Lee Moses Offline
2nd String

(03-17-2013 12:50 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I think you are right about the WR position. With Chancellor coming back for his SR year and Harris putting up quality catches at the end of last season, I think our WR corp will be stronger this season. Terrell looks great on paper. I think he will be the real deal for UNT.

I think the WR corps would almost have to be stronger next year. We do have to account for the loss of Delgado, but with the new faces coming in this spring plus Kidsy in the fall, surely someone will be able to fill that gap. Plus, if we can have a healthy Chancellor for more of this coming season than we did last season, that will be a big boost. And even if Terrell ends up being only a Stradford-type player, that's not necessarily a bad thing if he is used correctly. IMO, Coach Mac didn't use Stradford correctly. I can't really blame him for not wanting to put a WR on the field who couldn't be depended on to catch a ball, but he presented a deep threat that had to be respected. If Terrell can at least provide that, and if Coach Mac/Chico will use him correctly, that will open things up for us offensively. And our offense certainly needs opening up. Of course, I am hoping and believing that Terrell can provide more than that. If he ends up being a legitimate and dependable big-play threat, and if Berglund turns out to be the real deal, we could potentially compete for the C-USA West title. That's a lot of "what-ifs" that would have to work out, but it will be fun to watch if some of these "what-ifs" do work out.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 11:06 AM by Lee Moses.)
03-18-2013 11:04 AM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Spring Ball starts tomorrow!!!

Here are press conference highlights from today.

Mac spring presser tidbits

Back-at-the-office update — I have a few minutes here before I have to run and catch a UNT swimmer headed to the NCAAs, but here is what else stood out for me at McCarney’s press conference:

– Mike Canales said that UNT would open up its offense to include more quarterback run options this year. Derek Thompson has lost a lot of weight. I will look back later, but I think the figure was around 15 pounds.

– Dan McCarney said that UNT would have more options at wide receiver this year, and more speed.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/0...bits.html/
03-19-2013 06:20 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Spring Football Practice Begins Wednesday

[Image: GUOGRCGUSPRKJPA.20121105160557.jpg]

DENTON, Texas - Spring officially arrives on March 20 and so does North Texas spring football. North Texas opens up its third spring football season under head coach Dan McCarney Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. It will be the first practice of 15 in the spring season and all practices and scrimmages are open to the public.

The Mean Green prepares for its first season in Conference USA in 2013 and welcomes back 38 letterwinners from 2012. North Texas has four all-conference players returning in 2013, Zach Orr, Zac Whitfield, Cyril Lemon and Mason Y'Barbo.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArtic...=206812664

2013 Spring Football practice schedule

March 20 - 3:30 - 6:00 p.m.
March 22 - 3:30 - 6:00 p.m.
March 23 - 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
March 25 - 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
March 27 - 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
March 29 - TBA*
March 30 - TBA* (scrimmage)
April 1 - 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
April 3 - 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
April 5 - TBA*
April 6 - TBA* (scrimmage)
April 8 - 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
April 10 - 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
April 12 - 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
April 13 - Spring game* 2:00 p.m.
*- Apogee Stadium
Dates and times are subject to change
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 08:10 PM by Side Show Joe.)
03-19-2013 07:38 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Four key questions entering spring

[Image: Mac-for-blog-300x203.jpg]

Under normal circumstances, we would have stretched this out into a series on the blog, giving us something to talk about for a week or so. But we spent some time dissecting a disappointing basketball season and talking about Tony Mitchel’s “will he or won’t he?” saga. He will — declare for the NBA draft later today — barring a change of heart.

And so now here we are — spring practice starts today.

What are the key things to watch/questions?

Here’s my take:

1. The quarterback battle

Offensive coordinator Mike Canales — one of our favorites — didn’t even wait for someone to ask the question at UNT’s pre-spring press conference. He dove right into the quarterback question when it was time for him to talk about UNT’s offense.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/0...ring.html/
03-20-2013 07:38 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I went out to see the first day of Spring Ball this afternoon. I didn't take any pictures and won't report on any injuries, but I'll give some updates on the action.

The team worked out in shorts and helmets. It was about what you would expect for a first day of drills. Some good passes, some bad passes, some good catches, some dropped balls, and a few fumbles. But, overall, there were more good plays then bad. I'm not a coach, and it is really too early to draw any conclusions about where this program is, but here are some of my thoughts from todays practice.

The offensive line looks bigger and stronger.

Berglund has a nice accurate spiral and quick release. He's quick too.

At runningback, Byrd looked like he was ready to pick up where he left off last season. Jimmerson looked like he has recovered from last seasons injury. Pegram looked solid and quick. I can't wait to see him run in pads. He could be special this season.

UNT looks much better at WR then they did last spring. Chancellor looked like he has recovered from last seasons injury. Harris looked confident also.

I can't really comment on the defense. When the team is practicing in shorts, it's too hard to see where the hitters are.

Former UNT LB, Craig Robertson of the Cleveland Browns showed up at practice for a while. Seems like a nice guy.

[Image: ZPKGJYKETGYQAVN.20121120145143.jpg]

I'll try to swing by practice in a few days, after the pads go on, and will be sure to post some thoughts.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 08:26 PM by Side Show Joe.)
03-20-2013 08:17 PM
Lee Moses Offline
2nd String

Thanks for the tidbits. That's awesome that Craig came by. He has really been an excellent supporter of UNT football the two years since graduation. And it's great that he's playing at a Pro Bowl level in the NFL.
03-20-2013 09:04 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Friday football practice observations

I stopped by football practice for a few minutes today to pick up some notes for the blog.

Disclaimer — I was only there for the very end of practice because of some office obligations.

With that being said, here are a few thoughts/observations:

One aspect of practice that stood out is the amount of time UNT spent working on the quarterback run game in team drills. It’s not exactly a state secret that UNT plans to get back to the dual-threat quarterback offense it used more a few years ago. Brock Berglund ran the ball quite a bit in a workout with no tackling. He looked pretty fast and slippery as a runner.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/0...ions.html/
03-23-2013 12:32 PM
Lee Moses Offline
2nd String

Zed Evans and Quenton Brown running with the first team. . . . I'd say that's good news. Sounds like they're both at least as good as advertised.
03-23-2013 01:04 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2013 01:04 PM)Lee Moses Wrote:  Zed Evans and Quenton Brown running with the first team. . . . I'd say that's good news. Sounds like they're both at least as good as advertised.

I also stopped by practice Friday, but only for about 10 minutes. Zed is very fast. One thing I really noticed was the energy on the field. The players were having fun and hustling. The atmosphere felt very much like that of a team with everyone on the same page.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 09:19 AM by Side Show Joe.)
03-24-2013 09:19 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Saturday morning practice observations, thoughts

I was able to watch the entire two hour session of spring practice this morning when UNT went in pads for the first time. I will have a short video with Mike Canales up sometime in the next day or so online and a story in tomorrow’s paper.

First off, a few notes, thoughts and tidbits:

UNT is rolling all three of its quarterbacks in and out with the first, second and third teams. Dan McCarney said that will give the staff a true evaluation of each.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/0...ghts.html/
03-24-2013 09:22 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Mike Canales video (talking about UNT’s new offensive wrinkles)

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/0...kles.html/

UNT working out of the Pistol Offense?
03-24-2013 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Lee Moses Offline
2nd String

(03-24-2013 09:19 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I also stopped by practice Friday, but only for about 10 minutes. Zed is very fast. One thing I really noticed was the energy on the field. The players were having fun and hustling. The atmosphere felt very much like that of a team with everyone on the same page.

Always appreciate reports from practice, even if there isn't too much to report.

The only bad thing about Zed, if he ends up being as good as he sounds he might, is that we only get him one year.
03-24-2013 04:13 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

[Image: MBYRTUEYBDVYRIM.20130325211532.jpg]

NT Starts First Full Week Of Spring Practice

DENTON, Texas - The first full week of North Texas spring practice is underway today as the Mean Green hit the fields Monday afternoon in full pads for the second time this spring. North Texas had gone through the first two practices in shorts before putting on full pads for the first time this spring on Saturday.

"We are really excited so far about the work that we have put in this spring, but we have got a lot of work left to do to get better," said head coach Dan McCarney. "This spring is going to be about finding the best players on both sides of the ball who can help us go out and win games next year."

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArtic...=206923460

Photos

http://www.meangreensports.com/PhotoAlbu...BID=752148
03-25-2013 08:32 PM
2mean Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: guess
Thanks for the updates SSJ. Just wanted you to know that someone else is paying attention and enjoying your work.
03-29-2013 02:00 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2013 02:00 PM)2mean Wrote:  Thanks for the updates SSJ. Just wanted you to know that someone else is paying attention and enjoying your work.

Thanks. I'm glad you and Les swing by here. I know I don't get all the information posted, so feel free to add to anything you have.

I stopped by practice on Wednesday, and finally met Harry. He runs the big Mean Green blog. What a nice guy. If you haven't checked out that blog, you really need to. Great information and great UNT fans. Some post on the BBS boards too. I also talked to Vito the sports writer that covers UNT, and asked him about how Tulsa leaving will effect our non-conference schedule. He said he would ask around and find out.

There were some refs at practice watching the action and blowing their whistles. I heard them talking about players holding and too many players in the backfield, but they were not throwing flags. I guess it's still early in the Spring. I'm sure coach Mac and the staff will catch it when they watch the film. I've said it before; this team looks talented at the skill positions and the O-line. I'll see if I can find some more practice updates. Have a Happy Easter.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 05:32 PM by Side Show Joe.)
03-29-2013 05:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.