Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Katz: New Members Announced in 7-10 Days
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Katz: New Members Announced in 7-10 Days
On the air of the SJU-Nova game Katz reporting that the Big East will announce new members in 7-10 days.
03-13-2013 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
RE: Katz: New Members Announced in 7-10 Days
7 days would be right before the NCAA tournament. My guess is that would be the ideal time.
03-13-2013 06:52 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-13-2013 06:52 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  7 days would be right before the NCAA tournament. My guess is that would be the ideal time.

Said the candidates are most likely Butler, Xavier, Dayton, St. Louis and Creighton.

Also said a search committee has been set up to find a new commish.
03-13-2013 06:58 PM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
Hurry up and wait people.
03-13-2013 07:01 PM
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Katz still saying the same thing.

The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova -- met with their athletic directors in New York on Wednesday and will announce new membership for the new Big East within 7-10 days, according to a source who had first-hand knowledge of the meeting.

The presidents also told the ADs that a search firm has been hired to find a new commissioner.

Additional members have not yet been invited, so naming any set teams is premature, although the favorites remain Xavier and Butler out of the Atlantic 10 and Creighton out of the Missouri Valley. Dayton and Saint Louis also are candidates from the A-10, with Richmond probably a long shot.

The new Big East will begin play in 2013-14, and will hold its postseason tournament at Madison Square Garden.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9...esktop&wjb
03-13-2013 07:08 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-13-2013 07:08 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  Katz still saying the same thing.

The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova -- met with their athletic directors in New York on Wednesday and will announce new membership for the new Big East within 7-10 days, according to a source who had first-hand knowledge of the meeting.

The presidents also told the ADs that a search firm has been hired to find a new commissioner.

Additional members have not yet been invited, so naming any set teams is premature, although the favorites remain Xavier and Butler out of the Atlantic 10 and Creighton out of the Missouri Valley. Dayton and Saint Louis also are candidates from the A-10, with Richmond probably a long shot.

The new Big East will begin play in 2013-14, and will hold its postseason tournament at Madison Square Garden.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9...esktop&wjb

I honestly think they knew who they were inviting pretty quickly after they split. I think Richmond was brought up a little later, looked into and then no longer considered.
03-13-2013 07:15 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
my hunch if they're saying 7-10 days would be either a week from today(Wed) or the Monday after the 1st NCAA weekend.

I think it's interesting the wording about SLU and Dayton- now not even favorites. Strange.
03-13-2013 07:29 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-13-2013 07:29 PM)stever20 Wrote:  my hunch if they're saying 7-10 days would be either a week from today(Wed) or the Monday after the 1st NCAA weekend.

I think it's interesting the wording about SLU and Dayton- now not even favorites. Strange.

Not for 10. Did you see who they didn't even mention?
03-13-2013 07:34 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(03-13-2013 07:34 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(03-13-2013 07:29 PM)stever20 Wrote:  my hunch if they're saying 7-10 days would be either a week from today(Wed) or the Monday after the 1st NCAA weekend.

Well, I did. On the one hand, YEEEAH! On the other, no VCU. Sad panda.
03-13-2013 07:38 PM
Title Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Butler
Because we are stopping at 10, I doubt there's much conversation about whomever will get added somewhere down the line. That conversation can happen whenever, it's not pressing.
03-13-2013 07:45 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-13-2013 07:45 PM)Title Wrote:  Because we are stopping at 10, I doubt there's much conversation about whomever will get added somewhere down the line. That conversation can happen whenever, it's not pressing.

I doubt there isn't with Fox most likely pressuring for 12.
03-13-2013 07:56 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(03-13-2013 07:38 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(03-13-2013 07:34 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Well, I did. On the one hand, YEEEAH! On the other, no VCU. Sad panda.

[Image: roo.jpg]
03-13-2013 07:57 PM
College Basketball Fan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: D1 Basketball
Seems like it will end up being pretty cut and dry. The question probably isn't "who will join," but "who will join first." Creighton may be favored simply for the cheapness of it, but there are arguments for adding Dayton first and SLU + Creighton second.
03-13-2013 08:36 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Monday after the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament would make sense for an announcement. Announcing it before the NCAA Tourney risks it getting caught up in the craziness of the first weekend, while waiting until after it all ends would mean it's during a time where the sports world focus shifts away from college basketball. Doing it right in the middle is perfect - it will dominate the college basketball news cycle going into the second weekend and all of the announcers will likely refer to the expansion constantly.
03-13-2013 09:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
(03-13-2013 09:19 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Monday after the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament would make sense for an announcement. Announcing it before the NCAA Tourney risks it getting caught up in the craziness of the first weekend, while waiting until after it all ends would mean it's during a time where the sports world focus shifts away from college basketball. Doing it right in the middle is perfect - it will dominate the college basketball news cycle going into the second weekend and all of the announcers will likely refer to the expansion constantly.

The timing is a double-edge sword. If they do it during the tournament it's going to be overshadowed (unless we all make 1985 happen again). If it's before, Selection Sunday and the 1st weekend will dorwn out the news and talk. After the tournament everyone is going to be moving on to Baseball. There's no 'perfect' time.

But I'd argue before the 1st weekend/after Selection Sunday is best. Gives every analyst, announcer, fan an extra narrative to expound on during the tournament. Well have, what 6 teams in (Nova, Marq, GTown, Creighton, Butler, SLU)? That's a lot of games for announcers to talk about the new league. The weekend after will be all Sweet 16 matchups talk and most likely we'll have only 3 teams or less still alive.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 09:53 AM by aughnanure.)
03-14-2013 09:52 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(03-13-2013 09:19 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Monday after the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament would make sense for an announcement. Announcing it before the NCAA Tourney risks it getting caught up in the craziness of the first weekend, while waiting until after it all ends would mean it's during a time where the sports world focus shifts away from college basketball.

You know what's funny? Not to go on a tangent (well I am going to), but I swear a lot of people don't realize this. Do you know what the businest sports weekend in Vegas is? It's not the Super Bowl. It's the first weekend of March Madness. I point this out because whenever people talk about the "eventual split" of the power conferences away from the NCAA, they neglect this part. If they did so, the NCAA tournament as we know it would die. That $771 million a year contract would be worth less than half if the tournament did not include the non power conference teams. Gambling and brackets are what drive the NCAA tournament, and the first weekend draws more viewers than the last weekend by far. It also has a lot more interest.

And yes after the first weekend college basketball goes from top story on every ESPN show, and even local and national news channels, newspparers, etc, to back to normal coverage (save for coverage of the Cinderella's still playing). Weird how the further the tournament goes, with supposedly better teams playing, the less coverage it recieves.
03-14-2013 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.