Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: upcoming NCAA championships in Texas
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
OT: upcoming NCAA championships in Texas
Somehow I stumbled across the fact that there will be a handful of NCAA championships taking place in Texas in 2013:

March 20-23:
Division III men's and women's swimming & diving: Conroe Natatorium, Shenandoah, TX

Dec 6-7:
Division III men's and women's soccer: Blossom Stadium, San Antonio

In basketball, the men's Final Four is Arlington in 2014 and at Reliant in 2016.
03-13-2013 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: OT: upcoming NCAA championships in Texas
(03-13-2013 03:46 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Somehow I stumbled across the fact that there will be a handful of NCAA championships taking place in Texas in 2013:

March 20-23:
Division III men's and women's swimming & diving: Conroe Natatorium, Shenandoah, TX

I had never heard of Shenandoah until this post. To think an NC2A championship this close to Houston and nary a peep out of the chron.
03-14-2013 10:36 AM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(03-13-2013 03:46 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  March 20-23:

If you'd like some Rice-like folks to cheer for in this event, consider these two "Fightin' Engineers" from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (the alma mater of former Baker College master, the late Carl Wischmeyer, Jr.) .

Huster is a senior mechanical engineering major, and Martin is a freshman engineering physics major, and was valedictorian of his high school class.

(A family friend is on this swim team.)
03-14-2013 10:54 AM
Advertisement

exowlswimmer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
(03-14-2013 10:36 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(03-13-2013 03:46 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Somehow I stumbled across the fact that there will be a handful of NCAA championships taking place in Texas in 2013:

March 20-23:

I had never heard of Shenandoah until this post. To think an NC2A championship this close to Houston and nary a peep out of the chron.

Chron had almost no coverage of the CUSA championships either. I fault the conference, our SID and especially the Comical. I'd like to see DI go to a coed meet like DIII, the US Swimming championships and the Olympics. A few folks point out that a coed meet would just hightlight the gender disparities in this sport, women receive more athletic financial aid, more women qualify for the DI meet (~320) than men (~275) and it would spotlight schools like UH and Rice that eliminated their men's teams. How a law (Title IX) written to prevent gender discrimination could be so twisted by Federal bureaucrats to actually encourage gender discrimination in this sport is beyond me.

Many academically qualified DIII (which does not have athletic financial aid) competitors would have considered Rice if we still had a team. A non scholarship men's team (like Duke's) would proved practice partners for our women's team and not substantially increase the cost of the program.
03-15-2013 06:28 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
For the swim meet, some of the senior swimmers on my kids swim team (SPA - Sienna Plantation Aquatics) would have qualified for this meet based on the psych sheet I believe.

I'll have to tell our team about it though as many of the kids could end up at schools like this and it might be worthwhile to check it out. It's interesting to note that it doesn't appear that any Texas schools are competing in the meet.
03-15-2013 07:59 PM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
(03-15-2013 07:59 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  For the swim meet, some of the senior swimmers on my kids swim team (SPA - Sienna Plantation Aquatics) would have qualified for this meet based on the psych sheet I believe.

I'll have to tell our team about it though as many of the kids could end up at schools like this and it might be worthwhile to check it out. It's interesting to note that it doesn't appear that any Texas schools are competing in the meet.

not sure how many of the texas d3's even have swimming.
03-16-2013 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.