Thread Closed 
So where do we go from here?
Bookmark and Share
YaleCamel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell
So where do we go from here?
Well, since the cat is out the bag that Laing is gone, who would people like to see patroling the Pope Parquet for the Boys in Orange next season? Who would be good fits for the program and the school? Who would help us make "the leap"?
03-11-2013 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user

toley2345 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: So where do we go from here?
(03-11-2013 10:02 PM)YaleCamel Wrote:  Well, since the cat is out the bag that Laing is gone, who would people like to see patroling the Pope Parquet for the Boys in Orange next season? Who would be good fits for the program and the school? Who would help us make "the leap"?

I have a lot of coaches I would love to have. But I have to be realistic. This is my #1 pick even though I think it is still very unrealistic. So I am big fan of anyone who comes from a strong coaching tree (Pitano, Coach K, Dean Smith, Knight etc). I agree that we should get someone who fits who fit well in are university. So my pick is JEFF CAPEL. Reasons:

1. Proven track record and success at mid major and BCS basketball.
2. He is young 38
3. Comes from a strong coaching lineage
4. He is from Fayetteville
5. He would not have to move his family
6. I think he is looking for a new coaching job.
7. Coach K is not looking to leave anytime soon (so if he gets replaced by him hopefully he can develop a good assistant under him to replace him)
8. He seems like a strong man of faith
9. He can recruit
10.) Maybe he can bring in a Duke transfer cough cough Alex Murphy!

Why we wont get him:
1.) He will probably look to go to a bigger more established program (which after his stent in Okla don't know why he would want to)
2.) Money don't think we will pay him that much

Any thats what I think I understand if you guys think it is a long shot.

Write back
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 06:18 AM by toley2345.)
03-12-2013 06:15 AM
fightingcamels2014 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-12-2013 06:15 AM)toley2345 Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 10:02 PM)YaleCamel Wrote:  Well, since the cat is out the bag that Laing is gone, who would people like to see patroling the Pope Parquet for the Boys in Orange next season? Who would be good fits for the program and the school? Who would help us make "the leap"?

I have a lot of coaches I would love to have. But I have to be realistic. This is my #1 pick even though I think it is still very unrealistic. So I am big fan of anyone who comes from a strong coaching tree (Pitano, Coach K, Dean Smith, Knight etc). I agree that we should get someone who fits who fit well in are university. So my pick is JEFF CAPEL. Reasons:

1. Proven track record and success at mid major and BCS basketball.
2. He is young 38
3. Comes from a strong coaching lineage
4. He is from Fayetteville
5. He would not have to move his family
6. I think he is looking for a new coaching job.
7. Coach K is not looking to leave anytime soon (so if he gets replaced by him hopefully he can develop a good assistant under him to replace him)
8. He seems like a strong man of faith
9. He can recruit
10.) Maybe he can bring in a Duke transfer cough cough Alex Murphy!

Why we wont get him:
1.) He will probably look to go to a bigger more established program (which after his stent in Okla don't know why he would want to)
2.) Money don't think we will pay him that much

Any thats what I think I understand if you guys think it is a long shot.

Write back

There is a .0000000000001 % chance we can get somebody with head coaching experience from a Power Conference, regardless of how successful.

If you look at the other head coaches Roller has hired since he got here, the name I keep thinking of is Muggsy Bogues. He would be a hire almost identical to Mike Minter was for football. He would be a publicity hire, but he has head coaching experience. He is currently coaching at United Faith Christian Academy in Charlotte.

I'm taking a shot in the dark here but regardless of who it is they need to have credentials that the players will respect from day 1. He also needs to be a good x's & o's guy, which is one area that Laing fell miserably short in.
03-12-2013 07:32 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

(bump!)
03-12-2013 07:43 AM

toley2345 Offline
Bench Warmer

[quote='OrangeCamel' pid='9079410' dateline='1363092207']
(bump!)
[/quote}\]

Muggsy is an interesting pick. I think he would be great for a publicity standpoint, I think he would be good from X and O's. I also think the players will respect him. I just don't know how great of a recruiter he will be and his lack of experience from the college level. I think if he is going to get Mr. Bougues I think he needs to get some established assistants under him. Roll humps!
03-12-2013 08:02 AM
toley2345 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-12-2013 08:02 AM)toley2345 Wrote:  [quote='OrangeCamel' pid='9079410' dateline='1363092207']
(bump!)
[/quote}\]

Muggsy is an interesting pick. I think he would be great for a publicity standpoint, I think he would be good from X and O's. I also think the players will respect him. I just don't know how great of a recruiter he will be and his lack of experience from the college level. I think if he is going to get Mr. Bougues I think he needs to get some established assistants under him. Roll humps!

What do you guys think of Mike Rhoades from VCU.
03-12-2013 08:13 AM
Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

As a fan of point guards, I'd love the Mugsy idea
03-12-2013 10:18 AM

RVAparks Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Longwood
You can have my Longwood list since we'll never get a new coach:

Mike Rhoades
Jeremy Ballard
Mike Winiecki
Chris Jans
Michael Huger
Hajj Turner
Pete Strickland
Jim Corrigan
Jayson Gee
Ron Sanchez
Sherman Dillard
Kevin Mcgheehan
Bretty Carey
03-12-2013 10:39 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

(03-12-2013 07:32 AM)fightingcamels2014 Wrote:  the name I keep thinking of is Muggsy Bogues. He would be a hire almost identical to Mike Minter was for football. He would be a publicity hire, but he has head coaching experience. He is currently coaching at United Faith Christian Academy in Charlotte.

Not to take this thread in another direction, but a quick note about UFCA....they finished 18-5 this year, winning their last 10. They were not eligible for the Indy schools playoffs due to some weird interpretation of an e-mail sent by the headmaster (recruiting violation).

They are ranked as the #17 team in N.C. (combined public/private) by USA Today.

I had no idea there were so many independent schools in the USA Today N.C. poll....10 of the top 25:

http://www.usatodayhss.com/rankings/supe...3?state=NC
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 11:20 AM by OrangeCamel.)
03-12-2013 11:19 AM
YaleCamel Offline
Water Engineer

I would love Jeff Capel (or Wojo, for that matter) or Bobby Lutz from NC State, but I think FightingCamels2014 is right. I don't think we have a shot, mainly because of money.

Muggsy is interesting, though, and someone I had not considered. I am not sure how I feel about with his lack of collegiate coaching experience. I think we need someone who has spent considerable time working with the Xs and Os of basketball operations at a collegiate level. But he does fit Roller's MO. So, it is a viable option.

Of the list that RVAparks sent, I like Chris Jans, Mike Rhoades, Michael Huger (going to be tough from a power conference), Jayson Gee, Ron Sanchez (see Huger), and Kevin Mcgheehan. I think we may have the best shot at Jans or Rhoades.

I also like Brian Ayers and Mark Price from Belmont, Jim Fox from Davidson, and Matthew Graves, Michael Lewis, and Terry Johnson from Butler, and that list could grow.
03-12-2013 10:07 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.