Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Basketball Rivalries?
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
MyBB New Basketball Rivalries?
The regular season has ended and Card fans are going to have to say good-bye to some traditional rivals - some of them permanently.

We'll all miss our annual celebration of DePaul Day, though I suppose that rivalry was rather ignominious (at least as far as they're concerned).

Marquette is a long-time rivalry that seems to have cooled off in recent years, but it's still a series that many of us will miss.

Cincinnati is our neighbor, but they've never been the basketball rivalry one might expect. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if we still manage an annual game against them anyway.

We always appreciated Georgetown & Nova games, but we never developed quite the rivalry with them that we did with several other Big East teams.

And so my question to you ACC fans is this: What rivalries do you see developing in the new ACC? The Duke/UNC rivalry is a given. But beyond that, who's gonna love to hate whom?

Louisville's rivalry with Syracuse has gotten increasingly heated over the years, and with no more Hoyas for them (at least not in-conference), I could see the Cuse/Ville rivalry growing in importance.

I have also grown in my estimation of both the Notre Dame basketball program and their importance to Louisville as a conference foe (plus, they'll be our nearest ACC neighbors).

I would kinda like to see us develop a rivalry with NCState, and could see that one becoming big.

What about everybody else? Once things settle down, what rivalries do you see developing?
03-10-2013 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: New Basketball Rivalries?
I can see Pitt becoming a rivalry w/ Louisville. Other than UL I guess Cuse would be our biggest rival. Other than that I'm drawing a blank.
03-10-2013 05:38 PM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

(03-10-2013 05:38 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I can see Pitt becoming a rivalry w/ Louisville. Other than UL I guess Cuse would be our biggest rival. Other than that I'm drawing a blank.

I'm always surprised that Pitt & Cuse aren't bigger rivals than they are.

I think most UofL fans have enjoyed our basketball rivalry with Pitt during our time together in the BE. Cuse seems to have been bigger, but Pitt's been good. Weren't we the first visitors to ever win in the Pete?
03-10-2013 05:50 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I was thinking about this same question from SU's perspective with the end of the GU rivalry. I agree that SU-UL could emerge as the top hoops rivalry for both schools given the similar profiles, the fanaticism of both fanbases, and the Big East history.
03-10-2013 06:46 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I'd guess Miami fans would come out in droves for the Ville game. That will be a big one for us.
03-10-2013 07:34 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I love this having lived in Miami, Wife from near Syracuse, and Best Friends Daughter having just graduated from FSU but moved to Florida from Louisville years ago. You know My choices. I enjoy the Pitt rivalry also. My first Cousins live in NC so I have interests there as well. Had Family in Atlanta until a few Years ago as well. ACC should be a lot of fun.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 07:46 PM by CardFan1.)
03-10-2013 07:45 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

While I think the Louisville and Pitt rivalries are fairly similar, I'd give a slight edge to Louisville. Next season I expect 'Cuse to play Pitt on rivalry week. After that I think it's likely that Louisville and Syracuse get matched-up on rivalry week.
03-10-2013 08:11 PM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

Re: RE: New Basketball Rivalries?
(03-10-2013 08:11 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  While I think the Louisville and Pitt rivalries are fairly similar, I'd give a slight edge to Louisville. Next season I expect 'Cuse to play Pitt on rivalry week. After that I think it's likely that Louisville and Syracuse get matched-up on rivalry week.

I prefer Louisville simply because the play the same style of ball we do. Where as Pitt is the epitome of the clutch and grab style so prevalent in the BE.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
03-10-2013 08:20 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(03-10-2013 08:11 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  While I think the Louisville and Pitt rivalries are fairly similar, I'd give a slight edge to Louisville. Next season I expect 'Cuse to play Pitt on rivalry week. After that I think it's likely that Louisville and Syracuse get matched-up on rivalry week.

Syracuse & Wake Forest!!!
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 08:24 PM by texasorange.)
03-10-2013 08:23 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(03-10-2013 08:23 PM)texasorange Wrote:  

NO
03-10-2013 08:47 PM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
Pitt-Syracuse isn't much of a rivalry because Pitt always wins 05-stirthepot

Seriously though, I look forward to Syracuse, Louisville, and ND games in the ACC, all are fun match-ups.

I think for Pitt obviously losing WVU sucks and UConn is another match-up that had some heated games.

I'm looking forward to playing Duke, that one point win over Duke in MSG in 2007 was awesome.
03-10-2013 08:55 PM
Advertisement

Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

New Basketball Rivalries?
Cuse and L'Ville have had some heated contests in hoops and in football since 2004. I think that series has a chance to blossom into a good rivalry in the ACC. The home game against L'Ville a couple of weeks ago actually had a higher average ticket price on StubHub than the Georgetown game. It's no coincidence that the two schools have played each other home and home each of the past few seasons. It's always been L'Ville and Georgetown every year and then another team that was not every year.
03-10-2013 08:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil
I see Louisville vs Duke as being one with the Pitino vs Krzyzewski angle
03-10-2013 09:01 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(03-10-2013 09:01 PM)Laettners Legacy Wrote:  I see Louisville vs Duke as being one with the Pitino vs Krzyzewski angle

not during rivalry week though as duke is kinda booked that week
03-10-2013 09:15 PM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

Obviously nobody expects it during rivalry week, but it will be the rare year that the Louisville/Duke game isn't highly anticipated.

I am wondering who our rivalry week game will be against. I sort of expect Syracuse, but I am personally partial to the idea of cultivating the rivalry we've developed with ND.

Is it expected that ND & BC will be major basketball rivals?
03-10-2013 09:29 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(03-10-2013 08:47 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 08:23 PM)texasorange Wrote:  

NO

My sarcasm button wasn't working. Sorry!
03-10-2013 10:20 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I think these games are already rivalries:

Notre Dame
Syracuse
Pitt

These games soon will be:

Duke
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
03-11-2013 12:15 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-11-2013 12:15 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I think these games are already rivalries:

Notre Dame
Syracuse
Pitt

Duke
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech

Pitt and SU are designated rivals in football. Pitt, UL, and SU will all be home-and-home rivals in basketball so rivalries have a good chance of springing from there. There have been 101 games between Pitt and SU in hoops and 68 in football so familiarity could breed some contempt. In three seasons, Pitt is going to be SU's 3rd most played opponent in hoops after Colgate and Cornell and most played opponent in football.

But I think SU's egoism (which has been earned) will prevent Pitt from being a G-town level rival for them in hoops until Pitt wins bigger on the national stage (as is evidenced by a general dismissal a 4-14 record against Pitt since the 2001 BET with the ever present wail of "clutch-n-grab"...you see this on their message boards to some degree). They simply view Louisville as a bigger threat, despite the comparative records, which is fair because Pitt hasn't joined the elusive national championship club (or at least gotten to some Final Fours).

Playing two games each year between Pitt, SU and UL is likely going to help all three develop a rivalry though.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 01:48 AM by CrazyPaco.)
03-11-2013 01:45 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
When you look at the way the ACC basketball was setting up with Maryland, it looks like the league is trying to nurture a couple of sets of rivalries:

[Image: ACC_BballwMd(sm).PNG]

If Louisville simply replaces Maryland and all other match-ups remain the same:

[Image: ACC_BballwUL%25281%2529.PNG]

If you look closely you'll see that the 4 NC schools form their own little division almost, with a home & home round robin in basketball:

[Image: NC4bball.JPG]

My proposal on accbasketballrx was to break the UL/UVa match and instead create 3 basketball "divisions", like this:

[Image: ACC_BballwUL%25282%2529.PNG]

That keeps all of the Northern teams (plus UL) in a round-robin, then all of the NC teams, then the rest of the Southern teams. This also gives UVA a chance to replace Maryland with Ga Tech, and for Notre Dame it swaps GT for UL. Of course, I'm just assuming these teams would want this...
03-11-2013 04:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(03-11-2013 12:15 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I think these games are already rivalries:

Notre Dame
Syracuse
Pitt

Duke
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech

Glad to see VT get a nod from someone. For the record, I hope VT becomes a basketball rival with any of the 4 new schools. It would signify a big step up for our basketball program to be a rival with any of Cuse, Pitt, ND or Louisville.
03-11-2013 04:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.