Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NS:Huskie Stadium to be upgraded (scoreboard info)
Bookmark and Share
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
NS:Huskie Stadium to be upgraded (scoreboard info)
http://northernstar.info/campus/news/art...0f31a.html

"The FFOC approved a measure on Thursday that would upgrade the audio system and install LED ribbon boards on the east and west side of the stadium. According to the FFOC agenda, the current audio system is nearly unserviceable and the cost of the project is not to exceed $650,000."
03-06-2013 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: NS:Huskie Stadium to be upgraded (scoreboard info)
If it was not yet approved by the BOT then THIS is why they could not talk about it at the HASF kickoff.
03-06-2013 11:25 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
So does that mean no new scoreboard? Just ribbon boards and sound system with a budget of $650k?
03-06-2013 12:04 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2013 12:04 PM)armour248 Wrote:  So does that mean no new scoreboard? Just ribbon boards and sound system with a budget of $650k?

??? Good point.

Maybe the $650k is just for the sound and ribbons and the rest of the money is coming from another source.

They still have yet to officially announce where that additional 1mil donation from Chessick will be going towards.
03-06-2013 12:11 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It would be a huge disappointment to not get the new scoreboard at this point. Although I am glad they are doing the ribbon boards and sound system and that wasn't 100% a few weeks ago.
03-06-2013 12:12 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2013 12:12 PM)armour248 Wrote:  It would be a huge disappointment to not get the new scoreboard at this point. Although I am glad they are doing the ribbon boards and sound system and that wasn't 100% a few weeks ago.

LOL it would be better if they just took down the old LCD screen and we just had the ribbons rather than use that thing for the 13th season.
03-06-2013 12:15 PM
Advertisement

HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(03-06-2013 12:11 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 12:04 PM)armour248 Wrote:  So does that mean no new scoreboard? Just ribbon boards and sound system with a budget of $650k?

??? Good point.

Maybe the $650k is just for the sound and ribbons and the rest of the money is coming from another source.

They still have yet to officially announce where that additional 1mil donation from Chessick will be going towards.

I know that the ribbons aren't cheap...but for audio they shouldn't need THAT much of that $650k budget. Seriously...for Huskie Stadium it should not be over $100k. If it is, somebody is ripping someone off. $100k gets TOP quality kick a$$ audio.
03-06-2013 12:15 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2013 12:15 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 12:11 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

??? Good point.

I know that the ribbons aren't cheap...but for audio they shouldn't need THAT much of that $650k budget. Seriously...for Huskie Stadium it should not be over $100k. If it is, somebody is ripping someone off. $100k gets TOP quality kick a$$ audio.

Maybe the stairs that I posted are part of this $650k.
03-06-2013 12:18 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
Before everyone panics if you read the article it does say the ribbons will be installed at the same time the scoreboard work is done. There will be a new scoreboard (not included with $650K). I do actually hope they go big for all of it though. Adding vivid color and sound to the stadium will completely change the experience. It is very bland right now. Not to mention the IPF will have one end completely closed off. The stadium will look 100x better. Just need to get the press box renovation off the ground now.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 12:26 PM by HuskieTap22.)
03-06-2013 12:25 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
Give me that 1mil towards a new Chessick scoreboard!
03-06-2013 12:33 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
We need a new DFPB. Dog Fan Press Box. Sponsored by Dog Fan and the Grotto.
03-06-2013 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(03-06-2013 01:45 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  We need a new DFPB. Dog Fan Press Box. Sponsored by Dog Fan and the Grotto.

Yes, we do. Either that or the Grotto and I could sponsor the new scoreboard. We'll certainly show some exciting videos on the screen, that's you sure. However, you may want to leave the kids at home. The scoreboard will even have fireworks - shot out in spurts, of course.
03-06-2013 02:05 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(03-06-2013 02:05 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 01:45 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  We need a new DFPB. Dog Fan Press Box. Sponsored by Dog Fan and the Grotto.

Yes, we do. Either that or the Grotto and I could sponsor the new scoreboard. We'll certainly show some exciting videos on the screen, that's you sure. However, you may want to leave the kids at home. The scoreboard will even have fireworks - shot out in spurts, of course.

1) How is the 3 mil new scoreboard not included in the approved 650k stadium facelift? Was it previously OK'd?

2) If the Grotto sponsors the scoreboard, won't we have to pay the clean up people more to mop the stands? Also, they may want to replace Thunderstix with something from their surplus inventory...
03-06-2013 03:26 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-06-2013 03:26 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 02:05 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

1) How is the 3 mil new scoreboard not included in the approved 650k stadium facelift? Was it previously OK'd?

2) If the Grotto sponsors the scoreboard, won't we have to pay the clean up people more to mop the stands? Also, they may want to replace Thunderstix with something from their surplus inventory...

1) The 3 million most likely came from other sources.

2) Yes, we will need people to clean up the stands. This is job generation at its finest! Grotto sponsorships put America back to work! Our clean-up crew will be dressed as military personnel in order to garner the respect they deserve. I have already been designated as Semen First Class. Also, our new Thunderstix will be anatomically correct representation of appendages. They are modeled after the Toledo logo and mascot. Ours will also be battery-operated for dual use. I am currently looking for assistants to help blow the T-stix. If interested in blowing, please send me your resume with references.
03-06-2013 03:36 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

This is the BOT minutes from May but has some info on where the money is not coming from.

http://www.niu.edu/board/meetings/2012/b...%20min.pdf

Agenda Item 10.a.(10) – High Definition Electronic Video Boards and Central Control Room Project
There is a need for high definition electronic video boards and the creation of a central control room to service Huskie Stadium and the convocation center area, two of the largest venues on campus hosting intercollegiate athletic events, intramural programs, graduation ceremonies, marching band practices and countless spectator events to support students and the mission of the university. Our current equipment utilizes standard definition analog video which has not been supported since 2005, and as of February 17, 2009, analog video is no longer available for purchase. Our current video boards are six generations behind and our video equipment is three generations behind the current standard, resulting in almost impossible maintenance. Replacement parts are no longer available. The conversion to high definition video, the current technology in video production, requires an investment in video boards, cameras and control room equipment. A substantial cost savings can be accomplished by purchasing both boards at once through a competitive bidding environment. Further cost savings can be accomplished by designing and building one control room for both Huskie Stadium and the convocation center. Funding for this project is derived from local and bond reserve funds.
Questions have been asked concerning whether these funds are being diverted from operating funds in these challenging budgetary times, Chair Murer stated. It is very important to clarify that this item will be paid through dedicated auxiliary enterprise funds that have been set aside in a reserve as required by bond covenants. No funds will be taken from the university’s operating budget, nor could they be. Bond covenants and federal/state regulations do not permit this. Both the administration and the Board have taken great care to insure that operating funds remain dedicated to university operations, and auxiliary enterprise and bond revenue funds remain sacred and dedicated to those purposes. Trustee Boey made a motion to approve the High Definition Electronic Video Boards and Central Control Room Project, seconded by Trustee Iosco. The motion was approved.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 04:06 PM by HuskieJohn.)
03-07-2013 03:10 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

(03-07-2013 03:10 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  This is the BOT minuets from May but has some info on where the money is not coming from.

Agenda Item 10.a.(10) – High Definition Electronic Video Boards and Central Control Room Project
There is a need for high definition electronic video boards and the creation of a central control room to service Huskie Stadium and the convocation center area, two of the largest venues on campus hosting intercollegiate athletic events, intramural programs, graduation ceremonies, marching band practices and countless spectator events to support students and the mission of the university. Our current equipment utilizes standard definition analog video which has not been supported since 2005, and as of February 17, 2009, analog video is no longer available for purchase. Our current video boards are six generations behind and our video equipment is three generations behind the current standard, resulting in almost impossible maintenance. Replacement parts are no longer available. The conversion to high definition video, the current technology in video production, requires an investment in video boards, cameras and control room equipment. A substantial cost savings can be accomplished by purchasing both boards at once through a competitive bidding environment. Further cost savings can be accomplished by designing and building one control room for both Huskie Stadium and the convocation center. Funding for this project is derived from local and bond reserve funds.
Questions have been asked concerning whether these funds are being diverted from operating funds in these challenging budgetary times, Chair Murer stated. It is very important to clarify that this item will be paid through dedicated auxiliary enterprise funds that have been set aside in a reserve as required by bond covenants. No funds will be taken from the university’s operating budget, nor could they be. Bond covenants and federal/state regulations do not permit this. Both the administration and the Board have taken great care to insure that operating funds remain dedicated to university operations, and auxiliary enterprise and bond revenue funds remain sacred and dedicated to those purposes. Trustee Boey made a motion to approve the High Definition Electronic Video Boards and Central Control Room Project, seconded by Trustee Iosco. The motion was approved.

Exactly why we shouldn't be spending money on bringing high profile OOC teams to DeKalb. We need to get the house in order, or at least into the 20th century, before spending money on other things.
03-07-2013 03:58 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-07-2013 03:58 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 03:10 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  This is the BOT minuets from May but has some info on where the money is not coming from.

Exactly why we shouldn't be spending money on bringing high profile OOC teams to DeKalb. We need to get the house in order, or at least into the 20th century, before spending money on other things.

On the other side of the coin, why spend money on upgrades if fewer and fewer people are attending games at Huskie Stadium?

You need to spend money to make money. Bring in the better teams (and even charge more for those premium games), and the increased revenue from better attendance can be used to fund all sorts of things. Even new urinal troughs.
03-07-2013 04:01 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

(03-07-2013 04:01 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 03:58 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  [quote='HuskieJohn' pid='9058657' dateline='1362687008']

On the other side of the coin, why spend money on upgrades if fewer and fewer people are attending games at Huskie Stadium?

You need to spend money to make money. Bring in the better teams (and even charge more for those premium games), and the increased revenue from better attendance can be used to fund all sorts of things. Even new urinal troughs.

I see that side too but maybe the though is put all the focus and resources into getting all the capital improvement needed done now and then unveil the new product and start working on building the fan base. Our stadium and facilities have been getting a much needed facelift the last few years. We field a great product on the field, its time to have the facilities to match. We need to look more FBS than FCS to fans, recruits, donors, etc.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 04:11 PM by HuskieTap22.)
03-07-2013 04:10 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
If we have good FBS schools playing at Huskie Stadium, we'll look FBS.
03-07-2013 05:22 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(03-07-2013 04:10 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 04:01 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 03:58 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  [quote='HuskieJohn' pid='9058657' dateline='1362687008']

I see that side too but maybe the though is put all the focus and resources into getting all the capital improvement needed done now and then unveil the new product and start working on building the fan base. Our stadium and facilities have been getting a much needed facelift the last few years. We field a great product on the field, its time to have the facilities to match. We need to look more FBS than FCS to fans, recruits, donors, etc.

Getting good teams into Huskie Stadium is 100 times more likely to get fans into the stadium. That should be the top priority, it hasnt been for the past 10 years, but lets hope the new AD is competent.
03-07-2013 06:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.