Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Postseason
Bookmark and Share
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Postseason
A fan on the ASU board reported that Brady told fans, at some type of meeting, that they have already been invited to the CBI. They are 18-11 with an RPI of 154, we are 17-14 with an RPI of 160. Assuming we beat FIU and lose to MTSU, do we have a shot at the CIT? The CBI is probably considered a "better" tournament, but the CIT is basically for midmajors and that is where we belong. Do we have a shot to go with an 18-14 record? If we were to beat MTSU, and then lose in the final (now that would be disappointing), we would be 19-14 with a Top 50 win on a neutral court. I'd say we are a legitimate candidate at that point, but would our administration be in favor of us going? Probably take some politicking to get in, but I think Chris is good at that. However, I think if the women lose in the tourney, all his focus will be in securing a first round WNIT game in Little Rock.

Anyway, I doubt we end up in postseason if we don't win the tourney. However, I'd love to see this young team get a chance to play another game or two.
03-03-2013 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

RE: Postseason
(03-03-2013 06:33 PM)mjs Wrote:  A fan on the ASU board reported that Brady told fans, at some type of meeting, that they have already been invited to the CBI. They are 18-11 with an RPI of 154, we are 17-14 with an RPI of 160. Assuming we beat FIU and lose to MTSU, do we have a shot at the CIT? The CBI is probably considered a "better" tournament, but the CIT is basically for midmajors and that is where we belong. Do we have a shot to go with an 18-14 record? If we were to beat MTSU, and then lose in the final (now that would be disappointing), we would be 19-14 with a Top 50 win on a neutral court. I'd say we are a legitimate candidate at that point, but would our administration be in favor of us going? Probably take some politicking to get in, but I think Chris is good at that. However, I think if the women lose in the tourney, all his focus will be in securing a first round WNIT game in Little Rock.

Anyway, I doubt we end up in postseason if we don't win the tourney. However, I'd love to see this young team get a chance to play another game or two.

I just looked at the CIT website. They expanded to 32 teams last year. All were midmajors and half the field had records in the 18-14 range. We really need to make a push to go. It would be something build on and the players and fans would enjoy it. We would go on the road, but this team has shown they can win away from home. Chris has worked hard to get the woman a home WNIT game and even a home NCAA game. I think he needs work to get our young guys in the CIT.
03-03-2013 06:40 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Plus 1

We are young and need to keep playing. I will travel to where ever we play.

Tech and slu will get my money if ualr stays home.
03-03-2013 07:10 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
I personally hope we don't go to any third rate tournament just to say we went to post season. I suppose that would be one way to get another banner, buy it. I'm with Chris Peterson on this one. No pay to play.
03-03-2013 07:11 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

This is thye tournament we will probably get in if we win one more game, imo.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/index.php
03-03-2013 07:18 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

(03-03-2013 07:11 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  I personally hope we don't go to any third rate tournament just to say we went to post season. I suppose that would be one way to get another banner, buy it. I'm with Chris Peterson on this one. No pay to play.

Bob, we are not going to the NIT and the only way we get in the NCAA is to win out and we can do that.

The CIT is for mid majors. If we win a game and then beat MT, do you want to sit at the house if we lose in the finals?

I sure don't. SLU played in the CBI finals 2 years ago. They won a game in the ncaa last year and this year they are going to be a 4 seed in the tournament and have a path to the elite 8.

Teams learn from playing in those tournaments. We are young and have the core of this team for 2 more years. We need to be playing games, so next year we are ready to make our mark.
03-03-2013 07:26 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2013 07:26 PM)insideualr Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 07:11 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  I personally hope we don't go to any third rate tournament just to say we went to post season. I suppose that would be one way to get another banner, buy it. I'm with Chris Peterson on this one. No pay to play.

Bob, we are not going to the NIT and the only way we get in the NCAA is to win out and we can do that.

The CIT is for mid majors. If we win a game and then beat MT, do you want to sit at the house if we lose in the finals?

I sure don't. SLU played in the CBI finals 2 years ago. They won a game in the ncaa last year and this year they are going to be a 4 seed in the tournament and have a path to the elite 8.

Teams learn from playing in those tournaments. We are young and have the core of this team for 2 more years. We need to be playing games, so next year we are ready to make our mark.

Bob needs convincing. Obviously I don't. The only question is whether Chris would be interested with his staff dealing with the women in postseason. I'd like to know why we didn't go a few years back when we had an RPI of 90 and were reportedly one of the last couple of teams to be left out of the NIT. It never even entered my mind that we wouldn't go, if we were left out of the NIT. But Jeff posted that we weren't going anywhere within minutes of the NIT releasing the teams that were in. So it would appear that Chris had made his decision about the secondary tournaments well before the NIT announced. I have never understood the reasoning, I guess because it wasn't explained.
03-03-2013 08:26 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2013 08:26 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 07:26 PM)insideualr Wrote:  

Bob needs convincing. Obviously I don't. The only question is whether Chris would be interested with his staff dealing with the women in postseason. I'd like to know why we didn't go a few years back when we had an RPI of 90 and were reportedly one of the last couple of teams to be left out of the NIT. It never even entered my mind that we wouldn't go, if we were left out of the NIT. But Jeff posted that we weren't going anywhere within minutes of the NIT releasing the teams that were in. So it would appear that Chris had made his decision about the secondary tournaments well before the NIT announced. I have never understood the reasoning, I guess because it wasn't explained.

Obviously I made a mistake up at the top. We will finish 18-15 if we beat FIU and 19-15 if we beat MTSU.
03-03-2013 08:28 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Chris will find the cash and we will go. ULL did it last year and they were not worth a ****. UALR is better and we will go if invited this year. Too much up side to it.
03-03-2013 10:09 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2013 10:09 PM)insideualr Wrote:  Chris will find the cash and we will go. ULL did it last year and they were not worth a ****. UALR is better and we will go if invited this year. Too much up side to it.

Looks like to me just a way for some of you Shields lovers to be able to say he took his team to post season. What the **** does post season mean if you have to buy it? I'll support the hell out of the NCAA or NIT. I think you boys just want to hoist another Shields banner next year. If he wins the tournament next week, he can get his banner. If he can't get it that way, then we don't need to be going to one. No way in hell I'd ever support some third rate tournament that you buy you way into.

I'd much rather we spend that money and have our teams stay overnight at ASU and be able to get in a shoot around, and in Hot Springs for the tournament. This program isn't rolling in dough you know.

I don't buy the reason for wanting to play in this tourney. What the hell good is one or two more games going to make next November?
03-03-2013 10:57 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Bob, I want to play games.

Not staying overnight in those places? I can't explain that but I am ready to play in the post season and the smaller two tournament are spring boards for teams like ours to move forward. Please see slu example above.
03-03-2013 11:04 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2013 11:04 PM)insideualr Wrote:  Bob, I want to play games.

Not staying overnight in those places? I can't explain that but I am ready to play in the post season and the smaller two tournament are spring boards for teams like ours to move forward. Please see slu example above.

PTJR can tell you how playing in the CBI helped Richmond move on to bigger and better things. I think it would be good for the players and they would enjoy the opportunity. It's not like they'll have to practice 6 extra weeks so they can go to some crappy bowl game in Detroit or Boise.
03-03-2013 11:13 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2013 11:13 PM)mjs Wrote:  

PTJR can tell you how playing in the CBI helped Richmond move on to bigger and better things. I think it would be good for the players and they would enjoy the opportunity. It's not like they'll have to practice 6 extra weeks so they can go to some crappy bowl game in Detroit or Boise.

Perhaps Richmond and St. Louis were ready to move on to bigger and better things anyway. If we are destined to move on to bigger and better things, then we'll do it anyway. I just don't believe that one or two extra games are going to make a hell a lot of difference next November. I seem to remember that Peter wasn't real high on the Trojans playing in it a couple of years ago anyway.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 11:22 PM by LRTrojan.)
03-03-2013 11:20 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2013 11:20 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 11:13 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Perhaps Richmond and St. Louis were ready to move on to bigger and better things anyway. If we are destined to move on to bigger and better things, then we'll do it anyway. I just don't believe that one or two extra games are going to make a hell a lot of difference next November. I seem to remember that Peter wasn't real high on the Trojans playing in it a couple of years ago anyway.

PTJR needs to speak for himself, but I recall he was very much in favor of us going to one of these tournaments based a lot on Richmond's experience. I was very upset we didn't go the year we won the division had over 20 wins and an RPI of 90. This year you could certainly argue that we don't deserve postseason. But considering the youth of our team, I think it would be a great experience. But, honestly Bob, I don't think you have to worry. If we don't win the tourney we'll be sitting home like usual.
03-03-2013 11:43 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Postseason
I think if we win one game we will be in line to play in the cit.
03-04-2013 07:34 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I admit I was against going to these tournaments, but with this team with so many good young players, playing in another game or two in tournament competition could do nothing but help jump start them for the future, IMHO. But hopefully we can find a way to get to either the NCAA or NIT. But if not. Go for it if possible.
03-04-2013 08:18 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Any postseason experience this group can get will be a plus.
03-04-2013 08:24 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

You're correct. There is no substitute for experience and any more we can get before next season is just icing on the cake.
03-04-2013 09:20 AM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(03-04-2013 09:20 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  You're correct. There is no substitute for experience and any more we can get before next season is just icing on the cake.

I would be interested to see how we stack up against a solid team from another midmajor conference. Basically, the competition would be equivalent to what we would see in the play-in game were we to get into the NCAA tournament.
03-04-2013 09:33 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-04-2013 09:20 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  You're correct. There is no substitute for experience and any more we can get before next season is just icing on the cake.

One or two more games is gonna make a difference next season? I don't see it.
03-04-2013 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.