Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2013 Spring Football
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
2013 Spring Football
Figured it was time to start this thread as JD has some relevant news bits:

Joseph Duarte Wrote:WR/PR Mario Hull, who missed '12 season w/ torn pectoral muscle, cleared for spring practice. "We're excited to get him back," Bailiff said.

OL Drew Carroll (kidney) will be brought along slowly and be limited in spring workouts that begin March 6, per Rice coach David Bailiff

CB Phillip Gaines (wrists), OL Jon Hodde (knee) and DE Cody Bauer (knee) will sit out spring practice, per coach David Bailiff

Hope the Gaines, Hodde and Bauer issues are nothing serious, obviously all three are key returning starters.

JD will have more notes in a later blog post.

Practices start March 6th.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 12:28 PM by talon owl.)
02-28-2013 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
RE: 2013 Spring Football
(02-28-2013 12:27 PM)talon owl Wrote:  Figured it was time to start this thread as JD has some relevant news bits:

Joseph Duarte Wrote:WR/PR Mario Hull, who missed '12 season w/ torn pectoral muscle, cleared for spring practice. "We're excited to get him back," Bailiff said.

OL Drew Carroll (kidney) will be brought along slowly and be limited in spring workouts that begin March 6, per Rice coach David Bailiff

CB Phillip Gaines (wrists), OL Jon Hodde (knee) and DE Cody Bauer (knee) will sit out spring practice, per coach David Bailiff

Hope the Gaines, Hodde and Bauer issues are nothing serious, obviously all three are key returning starters.

JD will have more notes in a later blog post.

Practices start March 6th.

I think that the restrictions due to injuries are a blessing.
1. These are proven SR/JR performers, so better to get them healthy and ready for summer conditioning then risk further aggravation of their injuries during Spring practice.

2. With the exception of Carroll, these are SR at positions that do not have clearly defined heirs. Now is the time to see who will succeed or backup Gaines at FCB, Bauer at the critical position of SDE, and finally Hodde at the the LT position. That position in particular needs a good long look for our options when Hodde graduates.
02-28-2013 01:14 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Fred Goldsmith hated spring practice. He used to say that the most important thing to do in spring practice was not to get anybody hurt. He made it no secret that he would like to excuse about half his juniors and seniors but he couldn't really do that. "The ones who know what we're trying to do don't get much benefit," he would say. "About the only thing that can happen one way or the other is for them to get hurt." I'm not sure I go that far, but there is certainly some merit to his idea.
02-28-2013 01:52 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

More bits from JD: Sounds like they are pre-cautionary holdouts; and confirmation on the players not listed on the spring roster:

JD Wrote:Follow-up to earlier tweet: Gaines, Hodde and Bauer being held out of spring practice as precaution. Chance to evaluate younger players

#Rice roster updates: WR Lovett Gibson, WR Andre Anderson and WR J.J. Walker have left the program and transferred to other schools

Rice football nuggets: DE Miles Lee and DE Michael Sam Jr. will keep scholarships (medical DQs) but are done playing due to injuries
02-28-2013 03:38 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Wow, 3 WR transfers. Was expecting big things from some of those guys, but I've been a huge fan of Taylor & Hull since 2011 (when I thought they both should have received a lot more PT) and Parks has looked very good too. Plus there is some experienced depth with Moore, Gautreaux, and Kubiak. Hopefully the staff eases up a little on WR recruiting, it seems like the roster has been over-stuffed with WR's the past couple years. That said, easy to understand why they are keeping Derek Brown at WR instead of moving him to DE.

And of course, bummer on Lee and Sam (or is that Miles and Michael? That's a lot of 1st names!). Not unexpected since they've been battling injuries basically the whole time at Rice, but still a bummer.

I remember being extraordinarily excited about the 2011 recruiting class, with 13 of 19 receiving 3-stars on Rivals. Some have definitely developed (or are developing) into great contributors, but 7 of those 19 are not on the spring roster (3-stars Booth, Gibson, Hooper, Lee, Sam, and 2-stars Walker and Austin Williams). Maybe Bailiff has been hanging around too much with Coach Braun?
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 03:56 PM by mrbig.)
02-28-2013 03:51 PM
ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
3 WRs transfer? .. Coincidence? Did they get the impression they wouldn't be getting any PT? Or maybe Greenspan called them something unsavory??
02-28-2013 03:52 PM
Advertisement

talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

Gibson was definitely on track to get PT, I don't think that was the issue. Also I had read/heard good things about Anderson's scout team work his freshman year. Walker was undersized but fast and had made some nice catches in practices I had seen.

More likely the transfers are related to off-the-field. None transferred to a major football program. Gibson is at Tyler JC. Don't know on the other two.
02-28-2013 03:57 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(02-28-2013 03:52 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  3 WRs transfer? .. Coincidence? Did they get the impression they wouldn't be getting any PT? Or maybe Greenspan called them something unsavory??

Come on now, I like to bash Greenspan as much as the next owl fan, but that even crosses the line for me! Total guess, but maybe some guys realizing they are buried on the depth chart and some guys wanting a less strenuous academic experience? Lots of valid reasons to transfer.

I just noticed that all 3 of Rice's graduate assistant coaches received their undergrad degrees from Kansas. That seems weird to me, are there no recent Rice grads who want to get into coaching and could pursue a higher degree at the same time?!? Not only aren't we hiring Rice guys, but we are specifically hiring Kansas guys?
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 04:05 PM by mrbig.)
02-28-2013 03:58 PM
ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
(02-28-2013 03:58 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(02-28-2013 03:52 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  3 WRs transfer? .. Coincidence? Did they get the impression they wouldn't be getting any PT? Or maybe Greenspan called them something unsavory??

Come on now, I like to bash Greenspan as much as the next owl fan, but that even crosses the line for me! Total guess, but maybe some guys realizing they are buried on the depth chart and some guys wanting a less strenuous academic experience? Lots of valid reasons to transfer.

It was a joke.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 04:06 PM by ChicagoOwl (BS '07).)
02-28-2013 04:05 PM
07owl Offline
All American

I also saw somewhere, I think in a Duarte tweet, that Rice was planning on using Eddington at TE some or like some RB/TE hybrid
02-28-2013 04:19 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(02-28-2013 04:05 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  
(02-28-2013 03:58 PM)mrbig Wrote:  

It was a joke.

I know, but still a bad one! Since either (1) that kind of behavior is apparently acceptable at Rice; or (2) that was a hideous rumor that ran out of control, I am trying to forget the whole thing. I'm definitely NOT going to "Ask the AD".

(02-28-2013 04:19 PM)07owl Wrote:  I also saw somewhere, I think in a Duarte tweet, that Rice was planning on using Eddington at TE some or like some RB/TE hybrid

Pretty interesting. My favorite plays all year that weren't game-changers might have been Vance McDonald's runs against LaTech. Mostly successful and very out-of-the-box for what Reagan normally seems to run. So of course we only saw them in 1 game all season. Be interesting to see what a RB/TE hybrid means for a team that runs a base spread.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 04:25 PM by mrbig.)
02-28-2013 04:25 PM
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(02-28-2013 04:25 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(02-28-2013 04:19 PM)07owl Wrote:  I also saw somewhere, I think in a Duarte tweet, that Rice was planning on using Eddington at TE some or like some RB/TE hybrid

Pretty interesting. My favorite plays all year that weren't game-changers might have been Vance McDonald's runs against LaTech. Mostly successful and very out-of-the-box for what Reagan normally seems to run. So of course we only saw them in 1 game all season. Be interesting to see what a RB/TE hybrid means for a team that runs a base spread.

Well, the one immediate good thing would be getting as much of that running back talent on the field as possible. Could be a match-up nightmare as an inside receiver.
02-28-2013 05:17 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

Nice little Day 1 report with video from CSN:

http://www.csnhouston.com/ncaa/talk/rice...high-hopes

RiceOwls.com video from Day 1:

http://www.riceowls.com/allaccess/?media=377429
03-07-2013 11:01 AM
OklahomaOwl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Owls
I was at the first practice yesterday and will go back for the Sat morning practice and of course the scrimmage a week from today - March 14.
As one would expect the kids practiced in shorts, shirts and Helmet only.
Defense went through drills so not much to report although I did think they looked good (biased opinion of course).
I did watch intently the recievers and QBs. Recievers showed good hands however the QB's need some work with accuracy. The best one of the lot is number 10 in terms of accuracy and velocity.
Donte is very fast by the way, and Mario certainly looks good. However his number yesterday was 85 but the roster has him at #1, I'll find out today.
I am sure that Larry Edmondson will have them in shape in short notice.
Anyway, glad they are back on the field.
Oh, for those of you in Houston you should come out if you can. I know the kids appreciate our presence and interest.
03-07-2013 11:23 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2013 11:23 AM)OklahomaOwl Wrote:  I did watch intently the recievers and QBs. Recievers showed good hands however the QB's need some work with accuracy. The best one of the lot is number 10 in terms of accuracy and velocity.

Thanks! Is it just a coincidence that your favorite QB in terms of accuracy and velocity has the same number as your son03-2thumbsup

And I'm thrilled to hear that practices are open to the media again, hopefully that will get Rice football some increased coverage.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 01:04 PM by mrbig.)
03-07-2013 01:03 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Donté Moore is going to have shoulder surgery and will miss three months.

Sucks for our 4 x 400 meter relay.
03-07-2013 08:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Great story from spring practice:

http://www.khou.com/sports/Rice-makes-a-...13871.html
03-07-2013 09:02 PM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
(02-28-2013 03:38 PM)talon owl Wrote:  Rice football nuggets: DE Miles Lee and DE Michael Sam Jr. will keep scholarships (medical DQs) but are done playing due to injuries

Michael Sam was our first 2011 commit, IIRC.

Based on my extensive interactions with him in high school, he is a great kid and solid student. It is very sad that he did not get a chance to make an impact on the field, but I believe he will make an impact on campus and in life.
03-08-2013 01:22 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-08-2013 01:22 PM)MemOwl Wrote:  [quote='talon owl' pid='9024320' dateline='1362083906']

Rice football nuggets: DE Miles Lee and DE Michael Sam Jr. will keep scholarships (medical DQs) but are done playing due to injuries

Total bummer re Miles. I was hoping one of my own East Bernard Brimmers would finally be able to log significant playing time for our Alma Mater. There almost seems to be a curse on my hometown boys when it comes to playing for the Institute.

I remember back about a quarter-century ago, EB's Brian Mica was in a position to do great things at Rice (under Goldsmith), but tore up a hamstring on a long punt return and was never the same thereafter. (Brian was the only guy ever to beat Eric Dickerson in high school 100-yard dash).

Before that, have to go back to about 1952 (I was alive then but not sentient). A guy who was probably EB's all-time greatest athlete, R. J. Schroeder, came to Rice having earned 16 high school letters in 4 sports. Not to be outdone, he then proceeded to earn a freshman numeral in four sports at Rice. He could've teamed up with Dickie Moegle and won a national championship for us.

Then....I got the rest of the story years ago from Bob Winship, a teammate and close friend of R.J.'s. (And an awesome human bein', himself, BTW.) He said they were excited about getting a chance to play in what was stacking up to be a great year for the Owls. But the two of them wangled a chance for a summer job where they could make some good money and also build muscle and endurance, in the days when weight training was much less sophisticated. So they both went out and worked their tails off on a Gulf oil rig. Pay was great, work was hard. Shortly before it was time to report back for two a days, R. J. began feeling achy in the neck and tingling in the arms and legs. Turned out to be full blown polio, and R. J. never walked again.

(Story has a poignant ending: with the help of his wife, despite being quadriplegic, or mostly so, R. J. finished Rice, went to med school, and became an orthopedist with a specialty in treating paralytic diseases and injuries.)

But ah what could have been....
03-08-2013 05:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
Dr. Schroeder is really a great guy. He was my doctor until he retired last year. He and his wife still attend most football games and also quite a few baseball games.
03-08-2013 06:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.