Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AD: Big Ten scheduling shouldn't affect NIU
Bookmark and Share
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
AD: Big Ten scheduling shouldn't affect NIU
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 08:46 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
02-27-2013 08:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
RE: AD: Big Ten scheduling shouldn't affect NIU
The B1G interest in not scheduling FCS teams wont hurt but this will...

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2...chedu.html

We are getting paid $900k to play at OSU in 2015.

Likely Michigan will go down this same road. That is 2 big fish that are taken out of the MAC money pond.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 09:07 AM by HuskieJohn.)
02-27-2013 09:05 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
We'd probably make more money if we go to schools in the SEC or ACC. Maybe we could even play at Florida State. JC needs to market our services there. Also, playing in those states will help our recruiting there unless, of course, we get blown out.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 09:18 AM by Dog Fan.)
02-27-2013 09:09 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

We have our unique Soldier field games to rely on, those games will remain attractive to many programs. Also, if OSU schedules away from some MAC teams for strength of schedule reasons, the EMU's and Buffalos will take the occasional hit I would imagine, not us.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 09:18 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
02-27-2013 09:18 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-27-2013 09:18 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  We have our unique Soldier field games to rely on, those games will remain attractive to many programs. Also, if OSU schedules away from some MAC teams for strength of schedule reasons, the EMU's and Buffalos will take the occasional hit I would imagine, not us.

Soldier Field is only one game and it is sporadic. We need to play at two big schools annually for the purse.
02-27-2013 09:20 AM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
2014 has no Big Ten teams, but a good schedule with Wake Forest and Arkansas (back-to-back week according to FBSchedules.com). Big fan of that. Plus, Wake Forest is only like a 6-7 hour drive for me! Vacation!
SEC and ACC has scheduled MAC teams the last few years, so if the B1G vs MAC games dwindle, NIU should be able to find some worthwhile opponents in the southern part of the country. And I'm all for it.
02-27-2013 09:42 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2013 09:42 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  2014 has no Big Ten teams, but a good schedule with Wake Forest and Arkansas (back-to-back week according to FBSchedules.com). Big fan of that. Plus, Wake Forest is only like a 6-7 hour drive for me! Vacation!
SEC and ACC has scheduled MAC teams the last few years, so if the B1G vs MAC games dwindle, NIU should be able to find some worthwhile opponents in the southern part of the country. And I'm all for it.

That will be the biggest positive out of this.
02-27-2013 09:54 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
I don't buy the idea that future games against Big Ten schools aren't in jeopardy, especially if they go to a 10-game conference schedule.
02-27-2013 11:22 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2013 11:22 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  I don't buy the idea that future games against Big Ten schools aren't in jeopardy, especially if they go to a 10-game conference schedule.

Yes going to 10 games would hurt MAC/NIU, even without them scheduling FCS teams past 2017.

One other thing is a 10 game B1G conference schedule (still 12 game regular season) would GREATLY hurt the chances our SF games with B1G opponents.

I still think they will only agree on 9 games. That way each B1G team can have a 1-1 with a AQ team if they would like and have the away game the year they have 5 B1G home games leaving 2 OOC games for them to pay someone to come to their place.
02-27-2013 11:37 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(02-27-2013 11:22 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  I don't buy the idea that future games against Big Ten schools aren't in jeopardy, especially if they go to a 10-game conference schedule.

They'd only be in jeopardy in the perspective that teams like Minnesota and Purdue need to schedule OC cupcakes to have any realistic shot at getting to 6 wins for bowl eligibility at this point.

Minnesota's 6 wins last year were against their 4 OC teams (UNLV, New Hampshire, Syracuse, and Western Michigan), plus two of the worst teams in the Big Ten (Purdue and Illinois).

Purdue's 6 wins were against Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Michigan, Marshall, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana.

I'd assume that our most likely opponents would be the traditionally better Big Ten schools like Ohio State and Nebraska, because they don't need to schedule cupcakes to get to 6 wins and beyond.
02-27-2013 11:39 AM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-27-2013 11:37 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Yes going to 10 games would hurt MAC/NIU, even without them scheduling FCS teams past 2017.

One other thing is a 10 game B1G conference schedule (still 12 game regular season) would GREATLY hurt the chances our SF games with B1G opponents.

I still think they will only agree on 9 games. That way each B1G team can have a 1-1 with a AQ team if they would like and have the away game the year they have 5 B1G home games leaving 2 OOC games for them to pay someone to come to their place.

Yea, I don't think they would be willing to make a jump to 10 games, especially right away. My thought is also 9 games, leaving three OOC games. One of which is a rivalry game i.e. Notre Dame, Missouri, or the like, and 2 games against non AQ teams. It actually may help us with our scheduling them.

If they are looking to boost their resume against a non AQ team why not schedule against the 2 time MAC champs? That gives us an advantage against them scheduling against an EMU.
02-27-2013 11:45 AM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(02-27-2013 11:45 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  

Yea, I don't think they would be willing to make a jump to 10 games, especially right away. My thought is also 9 games, leaving three OOC games. One of which is a rivalry game i.e. Notre Dame, Missouri, or the like, and 2 games against non AQ teams. It actually may help us with our scheduling them.

If they are looking to boost their resume against a non AQ team why not schedule against the 2 time MAC champs? That gives us an advantage against them scheduling against an EMU.

Unfortunately, the prospect of losing to us makes EMU more attractive for a lot of Big Ten teams like Minnesota, Maryland, and Illinois, because they need the wins.
02-27-2013 11:48 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2013 11:48 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Unfortunately, the prospect of losing to us makes EMU more attractive for a lot of Big Ten teams like Minnesota, Maryland, and Illinois, because they need the wins.

That makes sense except that Purdue just scheduled a 1-1 with Nevada...who is not even close to a bad football program.
02-27-2013 11:51 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Wish there was a law that the school down south had to play us every year, like IOwa State plays against Iowa.
Intra-State rivalries amongst public schools really rock!
02-27-2013 12:00 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2013 12:00 PM)sterling1man Wrote:  Wish there was a law that the school down south had to play us every year, like IOwa State plays against Iowa.

No to the law, they have a ton of real problems to fix first...I wish that our AD was a good enough negotiator that we NU in a 1-1 every 4 years.
02-27-2013 12:06 PM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-27-2013 12:06 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 12:00 PM)sterling1man Wrote:  Wish there was a law that the school down south had to play us every year, like IOwa State plays against Iowa.

No to the law, they have a ton of real problems to fix first...I wish that our AD was a good enough negotiator that we NU in a 1-1 every 4 years.

NU would be a great match-up. We normally arrange 1-2 Match-ups?
1-1 seems more fair, but is it realistic?
02-27-2013 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-27-2013 12:06 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

A home game for us will not be in the picture. We don't have or care to spend the money. All games will be away or at SF.
02-27-2013 12:10 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

(02-27-2013 11:51 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 11:48 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Unfortunately, the prospect of losing to us makes EMU more attractive for a lot of Big Ten teams like Minnesota, Maryland, and Illinois, because they need the wins.

That makes sense except that Purdue just scheduled a 1-1 with Nevada...who is not even close to a bad football program.

Yeah, you're right. You would think Purdue would follow the same path as the other lower level Big Ten schools, but for some reason they've been more willing to play better OC teams like us, Nevada, and Toledo. I've honestly got more respect for them because of that.

Unlike Minnesota who dropped a North Carolina series last year because a win wasn't assured, or Illinois who discontinued the Missouri series.
02-27-2013 12:17 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2013 11:48 AM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 11:45 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  

They are dropping the FCS teams to up strength of schedule, so the EMU's of the world would be the first to drop off the sched. now...

Unfortunately, the prospect of losing to us makes EMU more attractive for a lot of Big Ten teams like Minnesota, Maryland, and Illinois, because they need the wins.

They dropped the FCS teams to up their strength of schedule, by that same logic EMU would go early in the FBS cuts...
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 12:42 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
02-27-2013 12:41 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2013 12:17 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 11:51 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Yeah, you're right. You would think Purdue would follow the same path as the other lower level Big Ten schools, but for some reason they've been more willing to play better OC teams like us, Nevada, and Toledo. I've honestly got more respect for them because of that.

Unlike Minnesota who dropped a North Carolina series last year because a win wasn't assured, or Illinois who discontinued the Missouri series.

University of Illinois = scumbag wimps = my mothers old douche-bag (yes its back in Ohio...(movie quote?))
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 12:44 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
02-27-2013 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.