WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realistic expectations - Updated
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Realistic expectations - Updated
Now that the season is almost over and the MAC Championship looms ahead... what are our thoughts on what we should now "expect" from our Broncos as they reach the regular season finish line?

I think they have already exceeded anything I could have imagined for this year... Hawk put it best when he said "how can you exceed expectations if you didn't have any expectations to begin with?"

As surprising as this season has been... I think we still will fall victim to the MAC East in the MAC Championship... I think we could realistically reach 20 wins and find some post season play. No chance of reaching the NCAA's if we don't win the MAC Championship. Either or... having this conversation at this time of year... this year... would have seemed like a dream scenario before the season began.
02-25-2013 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thegeneral Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU, OU
RE: Realistic expectations - Updated
I will be ecstatic if WMU reaches the MAC Finals. That will definitely mean a successful season, regardless as to what happens in the CBI or CIT.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 10:10 AM by thegeneral.)
02-25-2013 10:09 AM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

While they have already exceeded my original expectations, my expectations have gotten higher as the season has progressed. This team has show what it's capable of. I'm expecting at least a semifinal appearance in the MAC Tournament- anything less than that would be a disappointment with what this team has shown itself to be capable of. I don't think a MAC Championship appearance and a good showing (regardless of outcome) is unreasonable at this point. I firmly believe that we're the third-best team in the MAC, and maybe as good as Ohio when everything's clicking. I don't think we're in the same class as Akron but we could take them if we get on a roll and everything clicks at the right time.

My original expectations were 14-18 wins. That's basically been exceeded at this point. I'm still critical of this group at times because it has shown itself capable of more. Regression into bad habits against Ball State, NIU and Bowling Green was frustrating. We have to avoid that going forward. If we avoid beating ourselves with bad turnovers and poor free throw shooting, I think we've got a shot to really do some damage in the MAC Tournament.

Not beating ourselves, having 2-3 hot hands going each night, rebounding and getting contributions from unlikely spots I think is the recipe for having success here on out. No bad turnovers. Avoid poor shot-selection and hit free throws. Hit the glass hard to give ourselves extra chances when the shots aren't falling and keep other teams from earning extra possessions. One of Tava, Richie, Klein, Pokley, Loney, Perry or Avery will need to come up big at some point due to foul trouble or fatigue.

I also didn't think we'd be having this conversation this time of year. It's been a fun season. Seeing Whittington and Paul emerge, Brown's comeback and nice senior seasons from Hutcheson and Pokley have made it an enjoyable year. A strong finish and getting to the MAC Championship would be a fantastic way to cap it off.
02-25-2013 12:51 PM
Broncobelt Offline
All American

It has been a great year for Bronco basketball! The team has exceeded my expectations significantly. Still, I am not ready to make any predictions for the tournament. We have to play both UT and EMU on the road. Would like to see how they get through these two games before making any projections regarding Cleveland.

I still doubt if Hawk can coach a win against Akron.
02-25-2013 03:11 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Even a blind squirrel.....
02-25-2013 03:36 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

Realistic expectations would be to go 3-1 to finish the season, win a game in Cleveland, and go to the CIT.

I would be thrilled if we pulled off an upset in the semi-finals and won two games in Cleveland. I'm not sure that can be "expected" right now though. Akron and Ohio have been the best two teams in the MAC.

Expectations for next year are a different story. Akron, Ohio and Toledo all bring in really really good recruiting classes. I think WMU will still add a PG to go with Svete and Haymond. I honestly think our recruiting class is every bit as good as anyone else's in the MAC, assuming we add that quality PG.

The part that is going to, or at least should, set us apart from everyone else in another year or two is our current freshman class. Akron, Ball St, NIU, CMU and Kent all had larger than normal recruiting classes for 2012. Akron has had some impact freshman...and Kent has lots of potential. I'm not convinced that any of their players are as good as our core of frosh. That needs to pay dividends by the time our guys are juniors. I expect WMU to be better next year. That means they should cut down on the eggs like Duquesne, Cornell, BGSU and Ball St. And be a legit contender to Akron and Ohio for the league title. I don't know if we will leap frog either of them...but I expect us to battle them hard and concede nothing. I think we have the ability to be right there with Ohio this year, and next year Akron as well.
02-25-2013 03:36 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
I see us winning 3 of the next 4. And winning a game in the MAC tourney, before bowing out. But if my math is correct, that gets us to 21 wins total and I would expect an invite to play in one of the lesser post season tournaments, the CIT or CBI. Which in my opinion is lightyears ahead of where any of us thought they would be this year.

I look forward to seeing what this group of freshman that has been called on to make significant contributions this season can do in the coming years with a little more experience and adding a few more talented players. I hope Hawk can bring in another big or 2 that can give us a bit of beef on the inside.
02-25-2013 03:49 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I think WMU needs to focus on TWO things down the stretch. Limit turnovers and make your free throws... Other than that... just play the same ball you've been playing. Trust your game and trust what Hawk teaches you to do on D...
02-25-2013 03:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.