Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Honest question - when was the last time an SEC or B1G program cut a sport?
BamaWahoo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVA/Bama
Noticed that Clemson, which historically had success, cut both men's and women's swimming. They just have a very sad little diving team now. MD also cut S&D and I think some others before moving to B1G.

This got me thinking - when was the last time an SEC or B1G team cut a sport? Compare to additions also if you happen to know them.
02-24-2013 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Honest question - when was the last time an SEC or B1G program cut a sport?
(02-24-2013 08:34 PM)BamaWahoo Wrote:  Noticed that Clemson, which historically had success, cut both men's and women's swimming. They just have a very sad little diving team now. MD also cut S&D and I think some others before moving to B1G.

This got me thinking - when was the last time an SEC or B1G team cut a sport? Compare to additions also if you happen to know them.

I'm not sure about the rest of the SEC, but the last sport Auburn cut was Wrestling because of Title 9. It was a shame too, because Auburn's Wrestling team was usually top 5 and had been competitive at the highest level for a couple of decades when it was dropped.
02-24-2013 09:09 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
There's no correlation between cutting sports and the conference the school is apart of. Schools are only forced to cut sports due to mismanagement of money, or due to Title IX. In the Big East the football schools were making nickels, and the basketball schools were making pennies, Marquette still managed to start a lacrosse team.
02-24-2013 09:17 PM
BamaWahoo Offline
Water Engineer

[
I'm not sure about the rest of the SEC, but the last sport Auburn cut was Wrestling because of Title 9. It was a shame too, because Auburn's Wrestling team was usually top 5 and had been competitive at the highest level for a couple of decades when it was dropped.
[/quote]

When was that though? And I notice Auburn has an equestrian team now too.

Somehow UVA has been building top tier facilities and our nonrevenues thriving through all of this. Makes me thankful for our AD (and the alums that are making it happen).
02-24-2013 09:23 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Alabama cut Men's Soccer (late 1990s if I remember correctly) but would eventually add women's rowing. When I was a student (1998-2002), rumor was UA was paying a fine for Title IX non-compliance because it was cheaper than adding another sport.
02-24-2013 09:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
I remember seeing Wisconsin cut Baseball.
02-24-2013 09:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-24-2013 09:23 PM)BamaWahoo Wrote:  [

Somehow UVA has been building top tier facilities and our nonrevenues thriving through all of this. Makes me thankful for our AD (and the alums that are making it happen).
[/quote]

Auburn lost wrestling in the Summer of 1976 and yes the Equestrian Team is doing quite well. I was sorry to see wrestling go, but Title 9 brought us Women's basketball with three 2nd place finishes, Women's swimming & diving with National Titles, an up and coming Softball program, good Gymnastics so there has been a lot of upside too.
02-24-2013 09:57 PM
BamaWahoo Offline
Water Engineer

(02-24-2013 09:57 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Auburn lost wrestling in the Summer of 1976 and yes the Equestrian Team is doing quite well. I was sorry to see wrestling go, but Title 9 brought us Women's basketball with three 2nd place finishes, Women's swimming & diving with National Titles, an up and coming Softball program, good Gymnastics so there has been a lot of upside too.
[/quote]

I've proposed (to UVA's AD who thought it would be too hard to sell enough coaches on it), a scheduling series with a school with a similar all sports emphasis. Idea would be that the schools schedule each other in 1 sport each year and a trophy changes hands based on that 1 sport. So a three game baseball series, women's tennis, etc. It would give a little spotlight to one nonrevenue sport every year - and every two decades you'd play each other in football/basketball.

I pitched an Auburn - UVA series. Call it the Petrie trophy and make it orange and blue. For our shared history.

http://www.thesabre.com/news_archive/sho...e-5291.php
02-24-2013 10:13 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
(02-24-2013 08:34 PM)BamaWahoo Wrote:  Noticed that Clemson, which historically had success, cut both men's and women's swimming. They just have a very sad little diving team now.

We cut swimming because of the cost of building and maintaining an appropriate swimming facility far outweighed the benefit that a non-revenue sport provided to the university as a whole in an economic climate where our conference affiliation puts us behind the eight-ball in competing with our peer schools (hint..other than one or two they aren't in the same conference with us).

We added women's golf since they could utilize the same facilities as our men's team. Unlike UVA, Clemson wants to compete for national titles in sports that not only bring acclaim to the university, but pay their own way as well.
02-24-2013 10:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 10:42 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 08:34 PM)BamaWahoo Wrote:  Noticed that Clemson, which historically had success, cut both men's and women's swimming. They just have a very sad little diving team now.

We cut swimming because of the cost of building and maintaining an appropriate swimming facility far outweighed the benefit that a non-revenue sport provided to the university as a whole in an economic climate where our conference affiliation puts us behind the eight-ball in competing with our peer schools (hint..other than one or two they aren't in the same conference with us).

We added women's golf since they could utilize the same facilities as our men's team. Unlike UVA, Clemson wants to compete for national titles in sports that not only bring acclaim to the university, but pay their own way as well.

Clemson University has been rolling in nearly $13mil dollars from the old ACC TV deal, and it's now going to increase to nearly $20mil dollars. That's way more than enough money to compete. The Big East managed to field competitive teams in both money making sports, making less than ten percent of the ACC's original deal.

Louisville just beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl with a SEVERE economic disadvantage between TV contracts. West Virginia throttled Clemson in the Orange Bowl two seasons ago, also with a SEVERE economic disadvantage between TV contracts.

Conferences also provide their schools with more money than just TV contracts. Clemson leeches off of Duke's basketball tournament credits. You don't see Duke fans bitching because of it.
02-24-2013 11:21 PM
BamaWahoo Offline
Water Engineer

(02-24-2013 10:42 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  

Hey Clemson guy, we get it. You guys are just humoring us by allowing yourself to be seen with other ACC programs. You could destroy us in nonrevenues if you wanted to. You're just saving your powder for the dominant football program you're fielding. You're basically Bama/Notre Dame. Got it. Thanks for keeping the conference together! You guys rock!

(FYI - those uniforms that Petrie took to Auburn to start their football program? The year later they went from Auburn to Clemson and had faded to purple by then. Your football program was founded on UVA third hand unis. You're welcome.)
02-24-2013 11:38 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(02-24-2013 09:17 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  There's no correlation between cutting sports and the conference the school is apart of. Schools are only forced to cut sports due to mismanagement of money, or due to Title IX. In the Big East the football schools were making nickels, and the basketball schools were making pennies, Marquette still managed to start a lacrosse team.

I assume you actually have data to support your claim. Despite how you presented it it's hardly a fact.
02-24-2013 11:56 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 11:56 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 09:17 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  There's no correlation between cutting sports and the conference the school is apart of. Schools are only forced to cut sports due to mismanagement of money, or due to Title IX. In the Big East the football schools were making nickels, and the basketball schools were making pennies, Marquette still managed to start a lacrosse team.

I assume you actually have data to support your claim. Despite how you presented it it's hardly a fact.

Marquette adds men's and women's lacrosse. While making pennies from TV money in the Big East.

Louisville currently looking to add sports. Currently making pennies from TV money in the Big East, and will soon be making just as much TV money as Clemson and Maryland.

UMD broke due to reckless spending.

Quote:Rutgers cut six sports in 2007 to address a multimillion-dollar deficit. Brigham Young, Clemson, Washington and UCLA have also pared offerings. And cash-strapped California Berkeley announced in 2010 it was cutting five sports because of budget problems, before an aggressive fundraising blitz spared the teams.
02-25-2013 12:10 AM
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players

While there may be some instances where conference affiliation had an influence in a school cutting a sport, I believe OC22 was pretty much correct. Title IX did cause the SEC to establish a rule that members had to sponsor two more women's sports that men's and that probably made a difference in individual schools decisions on adding and cutting sports. That's likely a large part of the reason the SEC doesn't have men's soccer or men's gymnastics, but most schools have women's programs. Kentucky and South Carolina play men's soccer in CUSA, since there is no SEC sponsorship. The schools can afford the programs, but they would have to add a new women's program in another sport.
02-25-2013 12:12 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-24-2013 10:13 PM)BamaWahoo Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 09:57 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I've proposed (to UVA's AD who thought it would be too hard to sell enough coaches on it), a scheduling series with a school with a similar all sports emphasis. Idea would be that the schools schedule each other in 1 sport each year and a trophy changes hands based on that 1 sport. So a three game baseball series, women's tennis, etc. It would give a little spotlight to one nonrevenue sport every year - and every two decades you'd play each other in football/basketball.

I pitched an Auburn - UVA series. Call it the Petrie trophy and make it orange and blue. For our shared history.

http://www.thesabre.com/news_archive/sho...e-5291.php
[/quote]
An interesting read indeed. Sounds to me like the Cavaliers belong in the SEC. I can't imagine that General Lee would like it any other way, except the ACC of course.

I like the idea of highlighting the non-revenue sports. Women's soccer might be a good one to pick. Men's baseball would always be good too, although that does generate some revenue at Auburn, and I imagine at Virginia as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 02:42 AM by JRsec.)
02-25-2013 02:28 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(02-25-2013 12:10 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

Marquette adds men's and women's lacrosse. While making pennies from TV money in the Big East.

Louisville currently looking to add sports. Currently making pennies from TV money in the Big East, and will soon be making just as much TV money as Clemson and Maryland.

Quote:Rutgers cut six sports in 2007 to address a multimillion-dollar deficit. Brigham Young, Clemson, Washington and UCLA have also pared offerings. And cash-strapped California Berkeley announced in 2010 it was cutting five sports because of budget problems, before an aggressive fundraising blitz spared the teams.

So all you present are a few cases of anecdotal evidence?
02-25-2013 06:42 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(02-25-2013 06:42 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 12:10 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

So all you present are a few cases of anecdotal evidence?

You bother reading the UMD link?

Quote:Over the last five years, 205 varsity teams have been dropped in NCAA Division I, the top ranks of college sports — 133 for men, 72 for women.
02-26-2013 11:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.