WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Perhaps you can explain what they are talking about
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Perhaps you can explain what they are talking about
I am in the middle of what is likely the most active basketball thread ever on ChimpIllustrated.

OldtimeChip posted this:
Quote:Kozinski will have CMU's assists record holder for a freshman pt quard dishing to him for the next 3 seasons. Davis' offensive schemes will get Kozinski plenty of open 3s. I worry more about his defense.

The way I understand it Kozinski (currently a HS senior at Edwardsburg) will be on the receiving end of many assists from Fowler, who is currently a freshmen, but who will next year be a sophomore.

I'm not aware of any statistic for being the benefactor of an assist, other than a field goal.

I've tried to get them to explain this "new made up stat" and some have even told me it's an assist (yes, it is an assist for Fowler who will be a sophomore), but they are saying it's a freshmen record for Kozinski...........who has yet to play, but in their imaginary "freshmen record world" will have some sort of new freshmen record.

I hope you can follow this, it's a thought process that is foreign to me, but perhaps some who have lived in the Northern regions can explain what OTC is talking about.

Several of the best and brightest that CMU has to offer have attempted to explain this made up imaginary non-existent stat and potential record. CMUDoc, CMUprof, and CMUPhD have all tried. Let's face it, with those handles they must know what they're talking about.

If anyone here can dumb it down and explain it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 04:29 PM by Chipdip.)
02-24-2013 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
RE: Perhaps you can explain what they are talking about
Wow a new dimension, usually they predict the future greatness of CMU sports, and then brag about it as if it's already transpired. Now they added a made up stat to back it up?

Am I reading this right?

I'd have to drive 1900 miles back there to have this conversation in person to fully appreciate. As they say in the Northern Lower, "1900 miles, do you know how far that is?".
02-24-2013 04:40 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(02-24-2013 04:40 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  Wow a new dimension, usually they predict the future greatness of CMU sports, and then brag about it as if it's already transpired. Now they added a made up stat to back it up?

Am I reading this right?

I think it's a made up stat, I can't find such a stat anywhere, but guys with handles like CMUDoc, PhD, and Professor are going all out to convince me that I'm the only person who doesn't grasp what OTC is referring to. I'm so confused 03-weeping

Again, if anyone can figure out what stat and record Kozinski will have please explain it to me. I'm sure it's me and not them.

OldtimeChip said:
Quote:Kozinski will have CMU's assists record holder for a freshman pt quard dishing to him for the next 3 seasons. Davis' offensive schemes will get Kozinski plenty of open 3s. I worry more about his defense.
02-24-2013 04:46 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I think it's just bad grammar.
02-24-2013 04:47 PM
Broncobelt Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
I remember back in my WMU stat class there was a book which was required reading, "How to Lie with Statistics". Chips are masters at it.

If you can't find a favorable statistic, just make one up.
02-24-2013 04:55 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Edwardsburg has long been a font of D-I athletic talent.
02-24-2013 04:59 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(02-24-2013 04:59 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Edwardsburg has long been a font of D-I athletic talent.

Oddly Edwardsburg does draw some DI hoops talent. A few years back they had a kid from Finland who was the Finnish version of Lebron or something.

Kozinski was looked at early by WMU and UT, but eventually fell off our radar. I watched him in a game at Vicksburg. Basically your classic hang out at the arch jump shooter. Soft on D, loved to take the three. In other words he'll fit right in Mt. Pee. The Eddies lost to a middle of the pack Vicksburg team. Kozinski finished with 21 in a losing effort including several threes. Vicksburg had a tough as nails kid named Abe Barwegan who had 24 points, and played both ends of the floor.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 05:05 PM by Chipdip.)
02-24-2013 05:05 PM
Tommyboy Offline
1st String

I think the point you missed was that their point guard will have more assists than any other freshman in CMU's history. The idea may be that Kozinski will have lots of catch and shoot opportunities, thus leading to many points and presumably wins.
02-24-2013 05:40 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(02-24-2013 05:40 PM)Tommyboy Wrote:  I think the point you missed was that their point guard will have more assists than any other freshman in CMU's history. The idea may be that Kozinski will have lots of catch and shoot opportunities, thus leading to many points and presumably wins.

Nope, their freshmen PG Fowler, already has that record. That's actually a legit record. If I'm reading OTC correctly, this "new record" will be Kozinski's. He will have set a record for being the benefactor of assists from Fowler. It can't be a freshmen record for Fowler because he'll be a sophomore. And I'm not sure it can be a record for Kozinski since there is no stat for being the benefactor of an assist.

OTC said:

[Image: ACBaseball.jpg]
02-24-2013 05:49 PM
Advertisement

Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Now you went and did it again.

I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night wondering which record, freshman vs. soph, new 3 point talent lighting up the assists received record book, Norwegian bb talent clambering to come to Edwardsburg, et al and I won't be able to go back to sleep.
02-24-2013 06:30 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(02-24-2013 06:30 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  Now you went and did it again.

I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night wondering which record, freshman vs. soph, new 3 point talent lighting up the assists received record book, Norwegian bb talent clambering to come to Edwardsburg, et al and I won't be able to go back to sleep.

Oh, this is deep stuff Ernie, it takes a keen mind to follow it. I'm finding Northern Lower logic to be a cut above anything I've ever observed.
02-24-2013 06:35 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 05:49 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 05:40 PM)Tommyboy Wrote:  I think the point you missed was that their point guard will have more assists than any other freshman in CMU's history. The idea may be that Kozinski will have lots of catch and shoot opportunities, thus leading to many points and presumably wins.

Nope, their freshmen PG Fowler, already has that record. That's actually a legit record. If I'm reading OTC correctly, this "new record" will be Kozinski's. He will have set a record for being the benefactor of assists from Fowler. It can't be a freshmen record for Fowler because he'll be a sophomore. And I'm not sure it can be a record for Kozinski since there is no stat for being the benefactor of an assist.

OTC said:

[Image: ACBaseball.jpg]

You are reading or interpreting it wrong. The "cmu's assists record holder for a freshman pt guard" refers to the current frosh fowler. The sentence structure is horrible, hence the confusion.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 08:04 PM by EA3.)
02-24-2013 07:13 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Well why didn't they just say that?
02-24-2013 08:00 PM
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

Lots of people use 6 adjectives in the same sentence....just not most adults.
02-24-2013 08:06 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(02-24-2013 07:13 PM)EA3 Wrote:  [quote='Chipdip' pid='9006805' dateline='1361746143']
[quote='Tommyboy' pid='9006789' dateline='1361745648']

OTC said:

You are reading or interpreting it wrong. The "cmu's assists record holder for a freshman pt guard" refers to the current frosh fowler. The sentence structure is horrible, hence the confusion.

Nope, nope, nope, it clearly is referring to Kozinski holding the freshmen record. Fowler would be a sophomore.

"Kozinski will have CMU's assists record holder for a freshman pt quard dishing to him"

Kozinski is the benefactor of the assist from Fowler, and "were" that a recorded statistic Kozinski would hold the record. However, to my knowledge there is no such recorded stat. Isn't that how you see it?
02-24-2013 09:40 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Can go any way due to that northern lower punctuation.
02-24-2013 09:50 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 09:40 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 07:13 PM)EA3 Wrote:  [quote='Chipdip' pid='9006805' dateline='1361746143']
[quote='Tommyboy' pid='9006789' dateline='1361745648']

OTC said:

Nope, nope, nope, it clearly is referring to Kozinski holding the freshmen record. Fowler would be a sophomore.

"Kozinski will have CMU's assists record holder for a freshman pt quard dishing to him"

Kozinski is the benefactor of the assist from Fowler, and "were" that a recorded statistic Kozinski would hold the record. However, to my knowledge there is no such recorded stat. Isn't that how you see it?

Nah. It's confusing as heck...but it's meant to say...

Kozinski will have Fowler, who happens to hold the cmu record for assists as a frosh, passing to him for 3 years.
02-24-2013 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(02-24-2013 10:01 PM)EA3 Wrote:  Nah. It's confusing as heck...but it's meant to say...

Kozinski will have Fowler, who happens to hold the cmu record for assists as a frosh, passing to him for 3 years.

Yes, I think you've nailed it. However, since it is not a measurable statistic would it actually count as a CMU freshmen record for Kozinski? Or are they prematurely celebrating a record that in reality will never exist.
02-24-2013 10:31 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 10:31 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 10:01 PM)EA3 Wrote:  Nah. It's confusing as heck...but it's meant to say...

Yes, I think you've nailed it. However, since it is not a measurable statistic would it actually count as a CMU freshmen record for Kozinski? Or are they prematurely celebrating a record that in reality will never exist.

No...no record for Kozinski.

The author just conveyed his thoughts in a horribly constructed sentence.

When they talk about the record...they are referring to Fowler. It's a description of Fowler. It has nothing to do with Kozinski, other than the fact that he will be playing with Fowler, who happens to hold the freshman assist record at CMU.
02-25-2013 09:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.