Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UofL considering men's lacrosse? Interesting blurb from Jurich
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
UofL considering men's lacrosse? Interesting blurb from Jurich
Soccer stadium adds to U of L athletics' sports corridor

Most of the article details the new soccer stadium. However, at the very end of the article was this tidbit:

"Having built or renovated a new facility for every sport since 1996, Jurich was asked Thursday what happens now -- a second facility for every sport? He laughed, then noted that U of L was working on improvements to its softball stadium, and might even consider adding sports with entry into the ACC. Men's lacrosse is one that has high interest, but there could be others."
02-22-2013 07:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

RE: UofL considering men's lacrosse? Interesting blurb from Jurich
UofL does not sponsor the following ACC sports:
  • Men's Lacrosse
  • Wrestling
  • Women's Gymnastics (if ACC decides to go ahead and sponsor the sport despite Maryland leaving)
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 07:18 PM by UofLgrad07.)
02-22-2013 07:17 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Lax and gymnastics make sense. I hope Cuse adds Women's Gymnastics...along with Men's Hockey.
02-22-2013 07:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

Bellarmine wouldn't be too thrilled. 03-wink
02-22-2013 07:49 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
It's alwaya good to see lacrosse spread!
02-22-2013 08:01 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(02-22-2013 07:21 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Lax and gymnastics make sense. I hope Cuse adds Women's Gymnastics...along with Men's Hockey.

That is what I am thinking too Mark. UofL already has a Lax facility that can easily be expanded so the infrastructure is already in place. Plus, UofL joining would give the ACC six members and NCAA Tournament automatic-qualifier status (not that the conference actually needs this).

Women's gymnastics would take care of any Title IX issues. As for facilities, I have one wild guess at what Jurich might do. UofL is opening a very large student gymnasium/recreation center on the west side of campus (Student Recreation Center). The big push for the new rec center was because the old facility (Mendelsohn Gymnasium at the SAC) was outdated and too way too small for the student body.

Now, no one has really said what is going to happen to Mendelsohn Gymnasium but I do know that athletics has expressed an interested in it. Currently, the gymnasium contains 4 multi purpose gym floors (ballpark of around 18-19.5K square feet), 5 racquetball courts, 2 squash courts, lockerooms, and a 5000 square foot strength and fitness area. It seems to me that the whole thing could be pretty easily converted into a facility for gymnastics (i.e. multi purpose gym floors = training area, racquetball/squash courts = offices/meeting rooms, strength/fitness area = updated but same function).
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 08:17 PM by UofLgrad07.)
02-22-2013 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-22-2013 07:21 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Lax and gymnastics make sense. I hope Cuse adds Women's Gymnastics...along with Men's Hockey.

That's an interesting thought, Mark... I like the idea of having another hockey team in the ACC to pair with BC. I doubt we'd ever have enough to sponsor the sport, but who knows? It seems to be pretty popular in Raleigh, NC with the NHL Hurricanes!
02-22-2013 09:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
I think the ACC will form a hockey league sometime in the future but it will at least a few decades down the road. BC and Notre Dame already have teams. Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt seem like places where the sport would do well if the money is ever there to add sports. GT, UVa, Duke, NC State, UNC and Wake all have club teams that are popular and could someday be converted into varsity programs. WF already has a minor league hockey stadium that the city is wanting to sell us as part of the deal to sell us the Joel.
02-22-2013 09:50 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-22-2013 09:50 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  I think the ACC will form a hockey league sometime in the future but it will at least a few decades down the road. BC and Notre Dame already have teams. Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt seem like places where the sport would do well if the money is ever there to add sports. GT, UVa, Duke, NC State, UNC and Wake all have club teams that are popular and could someday be converted into varsity programs. WF already has a minor league hockey stadium that the city is wanting to sell us as part of the deal to sell us the Joel.

There is no way BC or ND would leave Hockey East. That is the SEC of college hockey.

There is no way Pitt will be adding men's ice hockey. Too expensive, too many problems with Title IX already. If it could afford it, it would do decent at Pitt, but it isn't happening.

The ACC will not be adding hockey.
02-22-2013 10:06 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
I'm talking decades from now. No argument that it is not a possibility at the moment.
02-22-2013 10:14 PM
CK42NC Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNC
Go For It Cards! Man I think the ACC will be great in 2014! (yes, I do think we will hold together)
But your point Hokie Mark is most interesting to me, I never really thought of hockey in the ACC
but it seems like the Wolfpack family would take advantage of their ice. I'm sure they will one day!
02-22-2013 10:41 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2013 09:50 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  I think the ACC will form a hockey league sometime in the future but it will at least a few decades down the road. BC and Notre Dame already have teams. Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt seem like places where the sport would do well if the money is ever there to add sports. GT, UVa, Duke, NC State, UNC and Wake all have club teams that are popular and could someday be converted into varsity programs. WF already has a minor league hockey stadium that the city is wanting to sell us as part of the deal to sell us the Joel.

Syracuse has an AHL team called the Crunch, affiliated with the Lightning. The arena, War Memorial, for hockey seats a little over 6k. The Crunch have always averaged very close to a sellout. A couple years ago the first ever outdoor AHL game was played at the NY Fairgrounds, in Syracuse. The match-up featured the Crunch versus the Binghaton Senators. Over 21k people attended the game.

I think a men's hockey team could do very well in Syracuse, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be, from a Title IX and $$$ standpoint.
02-22-2013 10:48 PM
krux Offline
Banned

I think Louisville has a club hockey team. http://cardsicehockey.com/newstore/
02-23-2013 03:47 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(02-22-2013 10:06 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

There is no way BC or ND would leave Hockey East. That is the SEC of college hockey.

There is no way Pitt will be adding men's ice hockey. Too expensive, too many problems with Title IX already. If it could afford it, it would do decent at Pitt, but it isn't happening.

Kinda sucks that Pitt won't be adding Hockey anytime soon. Outside of Football & Basketball, Hockey is the one sport I'd actually follow. As far as Title IX, couldn't Pitt just add Men's & Women's Hockey if $$$$$$$ wasn't a concern. But finding a site to play at would be another concern esp w/ Robert Morris playing some games at CEC.
02-23-2013 03:59 AM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
(02-22-2013 07:17 PM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  UofL does not sponsor the following ACC sports:
  • Men's Lacrosse
  • Wrestling
  • Women's Gymnastics (if ACC decides to go ahead and sponsor the sport despite Maryland leaving)

The natural fit would be Women's Wrestling.
02-23-2013 08:52 AM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(02-22-2013 09:50 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  I think the ACC will form a hockey league sometime in the future but it will at least a few decades down the road.

The big problem with hockey is that it is incredibly expensive for athletic departments. For example, the per player equipment costs can easily run north of $1,000 and the sport requires specialized facilities (i.e. you have to have an ice rink) that can be expensive to maintain depending on what part of the country you are in. Add in the Title IX costs schools would be facing as well and you have a sport that requires a ton of money to start and maintain.

While I would personally love to see the conference and UofL sponsor D1 hockey, I think there would have to be a lot of dominoes fall into place for it to happen (i.e. ACC network, enough of a demand/interest in ACC areas to monetize the sport, way higher revenue distributions to schools, etc).
02-23-2013 09:33 AM
Advertisement

UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(02-23-2013 08:52 AM)wahoowa Wrote:  The natural fit would be Women's Wrestling.

Get ready to throw down with Jamestown College, Southwest Oregon Community College, and Springfield Technical Community College in the NWCA!
02-23-2013 09:35 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
acc need another women's gymnastics now without Md.
02-23-2013 10:09 AM
wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC

You've got a better chance of seeing Vermont in the ACC as part of an HE/ACC merger.
02-23-2013 11:46 AM
ej6687 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Pitt
(02-23-2013 03:59 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(02-22-2013 10:06 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

Kinda sucks that Pitt won't be adding Hockey anytime soon. Outside of Football & Basketball, Hockey is the one sport I'd actually follow. As far as Title IX, couldn't Pitt just add Men's & Women's Hockey if $$$$$$$ wasn't a concern. But finding a site to play at would be another concern esp w/ Robert Morris playing some games at CEC.

The only way Pitt is getting ice hockey is with a Pegula type donation.
02-23-2013 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.