Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Since CR is pretty much dead... B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Since CR is pretty much dead... B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
Would be a great bowl for both of these conferences. NFW does the NBE retain this bowl now.
02-22-2013 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
Take it please!
You can have it, that bowl sucks.
* played in a baseball stadium with poor sight lines
* outrageous travel costs to NYC near New Years
* cold as hell
* no history

I'll take the Liberty Bowl over Pinstripe any day.
02-22-2013 03:59 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
Happened to be in NYC that day. It was absolutely miserable. Wet snow/ freezing rain/ sloppy. Ugh.
02-22-2013 04:05 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
I thought the ACC wanted to play at MSG.

I'm sure New Yorkers will forget all about the Giants & Jets now that they're an ACC city.03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 04:18 PM by UConn-SMU.)
02-22-2013 04:17 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
its a better fit for B1G and ACC anyway... NYC cares about Rutgers, Notre Dame, Penn State and a smattering of Syracuse and UConn in terms of college football. Once the ACC gets taken for a few more teams, UConn will be added anyway.

Its basically Rutgers' annual consolation prize whenver we don't get our job done at the end of season... (i don't mind the 20 min subway ride!)
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 04:57 PM by AntiG.)
02-22-2013 04:57 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: Since CR is pretty much dead... B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe
(02-22-2013 02:59 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Would be a great bowl for both of these conferences. NFW does the NBE retain this bowl now.

BIG TEN !!! BIG TEN!!! RUTGERS WILL STILL HAVE TO PLAY IN THAT BOWL. CRAP!!!!!! I LIKE WARMER WEATHER FOR POST SEASON BOWLS!!!!

04-jawdrop 02-13-banana COGS 03-nutkick 05-stirthepot 04-cheers
02-22-2013 05:02 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Since CR is pretty much dead, B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
It has the 11th highest bowl payout at $2mil.

Edit: miko, or a mod, can you edit the title to make it shorter? Simply putting a comma between dead and B1G fixes the issue.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 05:17 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
02-22-2013 05:15 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Since CR is pretty much dead B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
(02-22-2013 04:57 PM)AntiG Wrote:  its a better fit for B1G and ACC anyway... NYC cares about Rutgers, Notre Dame, Penn State and a smattering of Syracuse and UConn in terms of college football. Once the ACC gets taken for a few more teams, UConn will be added anyway.

Its basically Rutgers' annual consolation prize whenver we don't get our job done at the end of season... (i don't mind the 20 min subway ride!)

Syracuse has been there more than Rutgers.
02-22-2013 05:24 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: Since CR is pretty much dead, B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
(02-22-2013 05:15 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  It has the 11th highest bowl payout at $2mil.

Edit: miko, or a mod, can you edit the title to make it shorter? Simply putting a comma between dead and B1G fixes the issue.

We'll take it and it is only an hour drive. I'll wear ski clothes to stay warm.
02-22-2013 05:24 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

Here are the bowl payouts over $2mil.

BCS Bowls - $18mil

Cotton Bowl - $7.25mil
Gator Bowl - $7mil
Capital One Bowl - $4.25mil
Sun Bowl - $4.1mil
Outback Bowl - $3.4mil
Chick-fil-A Bowl - $3.35mil
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl - $3.3mil
Alamo Bowl - $3.175mil
Holiday Bowl - $2.35mil
Russell Athletic Bowl - $2.125mil
Pinstripe Bowl - $2mil
02-22-2013 05:25 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Pinstripe Bowl
(02-22-2013 04:57 PM)AntiG Wrote:  its a better fit for B1G and ACC anyway... NYC cares about Rutgers, Notre Dame, Penn State and a smattering of Syracuse and UConn in terms of college football. Once the ACC gets taken for a few more teams, UConn will be added anyway.

NYC doesn't care about Rutgers. NJ cares about Rutgers. NYC generally looks down on everything NJ.

Why only a couple hundred Rutgers fans at MSG? Why did Cuse draw comparable crowds to the Pinstripe Bowl yet it is 4 hrs away?
02-22-2013 07:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(02-22-2013 05:25 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Here are the bowl payouts over $2mil.

BCS Bowls - $18mil

Cotton Bowl - $7.25mil
Gator Bowl - $7mil
Sun Bowl - $4.1mil
Outback Bowl - $3.4mil
Alamo Bowl - $3.175mil
Holiday Bowl - $2.35mil
Pinstripe Bowl - $2mil

And if the Yankees get the ACC and B1G...I bet the payouts increase. The time slot will generally be the Saturday before NYD. Kickoff will stay around 3:30pm for the temperatures.
02-22-2013 07:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: Pinstripe Bowl
(02-22-2013 07:03 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

NYC doesn't care about Rutgers. NJ cares about Rutgers. NYC generally looks down on everything NJ.

Why only a couple hundred Rutgers fans at MSG? Why did Cuse draw comparable crowds to the Pinstripe Bowl yet it is 4 hrs away?

*Actually we ha dmore fans (on average) during our Pinstripe Bowls than RU did, but we did have better matchups. However, we also had MUCH worse weather, which arguably countered the advantage of having better matchups. We also got ratings in both games. In fact, the WVU game was substantially better.

It's also worth noting that although RU had more fans in the game, we had more tickets sold* the week that we played USC in the Meadowlands, and we had better ratings. However, we played a bigger named team, which may or may not have hurt our attendance (tickets were very expensive and many thought that the game was hopeless), so it's hard to compare. That said, at best (from RU's perspective), RU and SU fb have a comperable following in the city and SU has an undeniably more popular lax and bball team in NYC, despite being half the state of NY away.

*RU gave away a TON of tix.
02-23-2013 02:23 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(02-22-2013 07:06 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(02-22-2013 05:25 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Here are the bowl payouts over $2mil.

BCS Bowls - $18mil

Cotton Bowl - $7.25mil
Gator Bowl - $7mil
Sun Bowl - $4.1mil
Outback Bowl - $3.4mil
Alamo Bowl - $3.175mil
Holiday Bowl - $2.35mil
Pinstripe Bowl - $2mil

And if the Yankees get the ACC and B1G...I bet the payouts increase. The time slot will generally be the Saturday before NYD. Kickoff will stay around 3:30pm for the temperatures.

It's actually the perfect bowl for Su and has over-preformed every year. There's no doubt that the payout will increase in the future if it becomes a B1G v ACC bowl.
02-23-2013 02:25 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Since CR is pretty much dead... B1G/ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
Bowls normally don't rotate amongst a certain day of the week. Pinstripe in the 3 years of existence- 2 years on the 30th then 2012 on the 29th(30th was a Sunday). That's much more typical quite frankly.

Also, payouts in general for the other bowls are going to be going down. And the list of bowl payouts is GARBAGE- I mean, it doesn't even make sense. Gator Bowl with like 6th SEC vs 5th Big Ten isn't worth more than 2nd SEC vs 2nd Big Ten.
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_...edule.html

The list of 2 million bowl payouts(note, Pinstripe 1.8 mil):
Cap One 4.55
Chick-fil-A 3.967 ACC, 2.932 SEC
Cotton 3.625
Gator 3.5
OUtback 3.5
Buffalo Wild Wings 3.350
Alamo 3.175
Russell Athletic 2.275
Holiday 2.075
Sun 2
02-23-2013 02:45 AM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

RE: Since CR is pretty much dead B1G and ACC should partner for the Pinstripe Bowl
(02-22-2013 05:24 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Syracuse has been there more than Rutgers.

That's because Rutgers has gone to better bowls most years.
02-23-2013 10:10 AM
Advertisement

mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

?
(02-22-2013 02:59 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Would be a great bowl for both of these conferences. NFW does the NBE retain this bowl now.

Conference realignment is not dead. It has simply taken a pause until the Md law suit is settled.
Big would make sense because they travel well and it now has a piece of NYV tv market. Only cuse from acc would bring any fans. Even that is because most cuse students and alumni are from NYC metro area. The rest of the acc would bring empty seats to this game.
02-23-2013 10:21 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(02-23-2013 10:21 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  ?

Conference realignment is not dead. It has simply taken a pause until the Md law suit is settled.
Big would make sense because they travel well and it now has a piece of NYV tv market. Only cuse from acc would bring any fans. Even that is because most cuse students and alumni are from NYC metro area. The rest of the acc would bring empty seats to this game.

Cuse brought a ton of folks down from Upstate NY for the game, not just NYC Metro Cuse fans. BC, Pitt, UVA, VTech and the NC schools are all within a doable drive. Don't sell the ACC short.

Better Bowls? 03-lmfao
Since 2010:
December 30, 2011 New Era Pinstripe Bowl Iowa State Win 27–13
December 28, 2012 Russell Athletic Bowl Virginia Tech Loss 13–10

I'd say that is pretty much a wash to two Cuse Pinstripe Bowl Appearances. VTech was 6-5. Pinstripe last year pulled a 3.4 rating while the Russell pulled a 2.5 rating.

BTW here is the list of the rest of the better bowls Rutgers has gone to:
December 16, 1978 Garden State Bowl Arizona State Loss 34–18
December 27, 2005 Insight Bowl Arizona State Loss 45–40
December 28, 2006 Texas Bowl Kansas State Win 37–10
January 5, 2008 International Bowl Ball State Win 52–30
December 29, 2008 PapaJohns.com Bowl NC St Win 29–23
December 19, 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl UCF Win 45–24

How can you say with a straight face you've been to better bowls? Cuse has been to numerous New Years Day Bowls.
02-23-2013 11:11 AM
AntiG Offline
1st String

Except that's not true. I've lived in Manhattan for the past 9 years. Things have changed a lot here, and during the college football season, Rutgers gets a lot of talk and not just by Rutgers fans. There are a ton of New Jerseyans that live in Manhattan, and Rutgers gets the majority of the coverage on SNY, MSG and YES, and locals start rooting for Rutgers because they are the only local football school worth a damn lately. Its all down to winning, we all know NYC likes a winning team. Every critical game, the Empire State Building gets lit up in red. So yes NYC cares about Rutgers, unless you want to start blaming Bloomberg for this lol.
02-23-2013 11:50 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(02-23-2013 11:50 AM)AntiG Wrote:  

Except that's not true. I've lived in Manhattan for the past 9 years. Things have changed a lot here, and during the college football season, Rutgers gets a lot of talk and not just by Rutgers fans. There are a ton of New Jerseyans that live in Manhattan, and Rutgers gets the majority of the coverage on SNY, MSG and YES, and locals start rooting for Rutgers because they are the only local football school worth a damn lately. Its all down to winning, we all know NYC likes a winning team. Every critical game, the Empire State Building gets lit up in red. So yes NYC cares about Rutgers, unless you want to start blaming Bloomberg for this lol.

Lighting up Empire State Building, really? Yes we know about your one critical game in your history...how many times since, once, twice? I looked and Syracuse/WVU both had it lit up recently too.
http://www.esbnyc.com/current_events_tower_lights.asp

NYC has fans from all over...yes, winning is key. If Rutgers wins 9-12 games in the B1G they'll be the toast of the bandwagoners...but it isn't going to happen. You'll be a 4-7 win team in the B1G and continue with no BB identity. NYC cares about CBB mainly and only Cuse, Duke, and SJU really move the needle. A few other schools out there are popular too: UK, UNC, Notre Dame, etc... If SJU ever got back to the Top 10 they would capture most of the fan base they used to have in the 70s-80s.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 01:30 PM by TexanMark.)
02-23-2013 01:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.