UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBR: 100+ UA students arrested in drug sting
Blaze4Pres Offline
Campaign Advisor

I Root For: UAB
NBR: 100+ UA students arrested in drug sting
Heard on the local news radio station that 100+ students were arrested by UAPD for miscellaneous drug charges. Weed, cocaine, meth, and ecstasy were the big offenders. Wouldn't doubt roofies were found by the solo cup full at frat houses.

Below is an e-mail from President Judy Bonner sent this afternoon.

Early this morning, the local multi-agency drug enforcement task force concluded investigations that resulted in search and arrest warrants being served on and off the UA campus. UAPD, which is a participating agency with the task force, assisted with the investigations and arrests.

The students who were arrested will be referred to Judicial Affairs. Once judicial reviews are completed, students will receive sanctions up to and including expulsion. UA has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to the sale or distribution of drugs, on or off campus, and we will continue to vigorously enforce that policy.

These students represent a small group of UA students. UA will review our current policies and practices to ensure that we are doing all we can to educate students to make the best decisions they can and that we are providing an environment that is conducive to learning. Students must understand that they have a choice when it comes to their behavior, and that their decision to violate drug laws and the Student Code of Conduct will have consequences.

One of our top priorities at The University of Alabama is the security and well-being of our students. We invest significant time and resources in a three-pronged approach that focuses on education, environment and enforcement. And, our commitment to student safety and well-being extends beyond the geographic boundaries of our campus. The University is extremely disappointed when students make choices about substance abuse that can have such a significant and negative impact on their lives and others, including their families, their friends, other students and this University.

I can assure you that we will continue to work diligently with students and parents to effectively address the national problem of substance abuse on our campus and in our community. Please know that I am committed to making sure that students have the information they need to make good decisions. And, that I am committed to leading the way for every student who chooses to be successful in his/her academic and personal endeavors. Together, we will focus on the highest possible ethical, moral and legal standards.

Judy Bonner

President

uanews uanews@advance.ua.edu

F
02-19-2013 11:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABrandon Online
1st String

I Root For: UAB/Arizona
RE: NBR: 100+ UA students arrested in drug sting
**** happens and they're college kids cmon now, what don't tell me you didn't experiment with things like that(except meth or even cocaine jeez) if you're older than a college student which im sure you since most are here but anyway , it happened with the football at TCU just recently for an example. I know it wasn't over 100 but still, drug busts happen all the time at most if not at all major universities.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 12:21 AM by UABrandon.)
02-20-2013 12:19 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
In light of the previous arrests of the FB players, I wonder how many of these are Freshmen or if there may be upperclassmen heavily involved. No info on this particular matter has been made public, but as the UA President stated, the university is trying to make all students aware of the potential good in their lives the university experience represents. IF the preponderance of these 100+ students are freshmen, it indicates a closer look at that "awareness boosting" program for new students is needed.
02-20-2013 12:20 AM
Blaze4Pres Offline
Campaign Advisor

Brandon, don't assume anything about me unless you know me, which I'm pretty damn sure you don't. I'm busting my ass to get into a law enforcement career to keep **** like that from spreading into the community.
02-20-2013 12:28 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

Saban is 10 over his scholarship limits. Maybe this was his idea.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 03:48 AM by ICB.)
02-20-2013 03:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABrandon Online
1st String

I Root For: UAB/Arizona
(02-20-2013 12:28 AM)Blaze4Pres Wrote:  Brandon, don't assume anything about me unless you know me, which I'm pretty damn sure you don't. I'm busting my ass to get into a law enforcement career to keep **** like that from spreading into the community.

Great another policeman 03-yawn the war on drugs is a failure
02-20-2013 03:49 AM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(02-20-2013 12:19 AM)UABrandon Wrote:  **** happens and they're college kids cmon now, what don't tell me you didn't experiment with things like that(except meth or even cocaine jeez) if you're older than a college student which im sure you since most are here but anyway , it happened with the football at TCU just recently for an example. I know it wasn't over 100 but still, drug busts happen all the time at most if not at all major universities.

i will tell you that ive never experimented with things like that. i realize that many did in college, but it sure isnt 100%...im not even sure its a majority
02-20-2013 06:59 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
This is one of the price tags attached to a vast increase in the student population, one we'll have to watch for ourselves.
02-20-2013 07:15 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I wonder is she is interested in addressing the racial issues going on on campus.

BTW, Roll Tide Roll.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 07:30 AM by the_blazerman.)
02-20-2013 07:28 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-20-2013 12:19 AM)UABrandon Wrote:  **** happens and they're college kids cmon now, what don't tell me you didn't experiment with things like that(except meth or even cocaine jeez) if you're older than a college student which im sure you since most are here but anyway , it happened with the football at TCU just recently for an example. I know it wasn't over 100 but still, drug busts happen all the time at most if not at all major universities.

I didn't experiment with things like that.

Throttle back on the sweeping generalizations.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 07:35 AM by Smaug.)
02-20-2013 07:35 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

We had a co-op from the U of A that had started work for us.
One of the pre-reqs is a drug test, & he passed that one.
He wasn't aware of the drug test that was going to be done on the first day of work.
He failed that one.
I suspect it was weed.

What is really interesting is that I don't believe the company could tell the university why he was let go due to privacy reasons.
02-20-2013 07:40 AM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2013 03:47 AM)ICB Wrote:  Saban is 10 over his scholarship limits. Maybe this was his idea.

Only 6 now with the recent arrest of the 4 players for the on-campus robbery.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball.../21733077/
02-20-2013 07:41 AM
mrchance33 Online
1st String

Sounds like you hang out with the wrong people. Neither I or anyone I call a friend at UAB experiments with drugs. I know those that do but they are a small population
02-20-2013 08:31 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Remember the meth lab found under a bed in Blount Hall?

This isn't really something that UAB folks should throw back in the face of UA folks. Glass houses and all. It IS very common in college, trust me. Even places like Samford aren't as clean as you might think.
02-20-2013 09:17 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(02-20-2013 07:28 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I wonder is she is interested in addressing the racial issues going on on campus.

BTW, Roll Tide Roll.

Nope! The administration does an outstanding job of sticking its head in the sand and acts as if it doesn’t exist.
02-20-2013 09:28 AM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2013 07:15 AM)58-56 Wrote:  This is one of the price tags attached to a vast increase in the student population, one we'll have to watch for ourselves.

Yep
02-20-2013 09:36 AM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2013 07:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  

Count me in the number that didn't. And most of my friends didn't as well.
02-20-2013 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(02-20-2013 09:17 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  Remember the meth lab found under a bed in Blount Hall?

This isn't really something that UAB folks should throw back in the face of UA folks. Glass houses and all. It IS very common in college, trust me. Even places like Samford aren't as clean as you might think.

Yep. And I knew several athletes who were selling drugs out of this same building. Let's not act like this doesn't happen at every college.

And I would expect Samford to be rampant with drugs. Rich kids and Christian schools tend to do that for whatever reason.
02-20-2013 10:05 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-20-2013 10:01 AM)ICB Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 07:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  

Count me in the number that didn't. And most of my friends didn't as well.

Same here.

It's funny how people justify things they're doing by saying everyone does it (like that somehow makes it right). Am I correct Blazersa....errr UABrandon?
02-20-2013 10:21 AM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
(02-20-2013 09:17 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  Remember the meth lab found under a bed in Blount Hall?

Meth labs are in glass houses? WOW. Kids... What will they think of next?!?
02-20-2013 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.