Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: MJ comback @ 50
Bookmark and Share
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
OT: MJ comback @ 50
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--could-...20978.html

Lot of buzz about him trying to get back down to playing weight and beating M. Kidd Gilcrest one on one last week. Plus he said in his hall of fame speach don't laugh if you see him back at 50. Seems like a chance he's considering it.

I'd like to see what' he's got honestly. I don't think it hurts his legacy if he could comeback and contribute as much as 40 year old guards like Nash and Kidd are. I think he could play as good of defense as those guys and be a similar caliber player, and that fade away still looked good on the youtube video from a couple years ago.

I think it would be impressive actually to be the oldest basketball player ever if he's respectable and even if he's not so what. I'd respect him for tyring.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 01:21 PM by StillJonesing.)
02-18-2013 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
RE: OT: MJ comback @ 50
He's the best. He's earned the right to give it a go. Still, his time with the Wizards left a lot to be desired.
02-18-2013 01:20 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
I don't see it happening. Besides, he's part owner of the Bobcats so not sure how that would come into play.
02-18-2013 01:29 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2013 01:20 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  He's the best. He's earned the right to give it a go. Still, his time with the Wizards left a lot to be desired.

You couldn't expect him to be the best, but he was still a top 25 player in the NBA at 40 years old with the wiz. I think that actually adds to his legacy IMO to still play at a high level. Even if he was a starter at 50 that's impressive to me. The bobcats need a spark. If nothing else if he did play for them he would fill the arena and increase their value.
02-18-2013 01:38 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2013 01:29 PM)VA49er Wrote:  I don't see it happening. Besides, he's part owner of the Bobcats so not sure how that would come into play.

It would be a pain in the ass, but I read he could transfer his ownership stakes. At least it would get people interested in the franchise. It's not like the guys hurting for money anyway and this is his only revenue stream. He makes 60 mil a year from just Nike. I'd think finacally this would raise his brand more to the younger people. Most people would have realistic expectations I think and like to see what he could do.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 01:42 PM by StillJonesing.)
02-18-2013 01:39 PM
Lee Moses Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
(02-18-2013 01:29 PM)VA49er Wrote:  I don't see it happening. Besides, he's part owner of the Bobcats so not sure how that would come into play.

I'm pretty sure he was part owner of the Washington Wizards when he tried a comeback with them.

I think it would create interest and sell tickets, but I don't think many teams other than the Bobcats would want the sideshow circus.
02-18-2013 01:39 PM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
I never really liked the guy, but his bitter, self-serving Hall of Fame induction speech did warm my heart. It's usually pretty easy to write off speeches like that as the embittered product of a failure. In this case, that doesn't apply.
02-18-2013 01:43 PM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
I doubt he comes back. The greatest of all time has nothing to prove.
02-18-2013 02:14 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2013 02:14 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  I doubt he comes back. The greatest of all time has nothing to prove.

That guy always has something to prove to someone in his mind, part of what made him great. If you listen to his Hall of Fame speech you'd have thought everyone was out to get him and that no one ever believed in him the way he would frame any piece of negativity that came his way. That's clearly what he used to fuel him. All it would probably take was the right person to say he couldn't play. He had nothing to prove the other two times he cameback either, didn't stop him though.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 02:37 PM by StillJonesing.)
02-18-2013 02:35 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
......................IDGAF....................
02-18-2013 02:37 PM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

I respect MJ's athletic accomplishments and talents, but frankly I don't like him that much as person. He doesn't impress me as anything to feel he cares much about others.
02-18-2013 02:40 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm really not much of an MJ fan either, but as a sports fan I am curious how compeditive a 50 year old could be in hoops. He and Lebron are about the only non-post player I think could even pull it off although I really think as Lebron ages he will move more excluivly to PF. Jordan is about the only real peremiter player I would give a chance.
02-18-2013 02:49 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(02-18-2013 02:49 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  I'm really not much of an MJ fan either, but as a sports fan I am curious how compeditive a 50 year old could be in hoops. He and Lebron are about the only non-post player I think could even pull it off although I really think as Lebron ages he will move more excluivly to PF. Jordan is about the only real peremiter player I would give a chance.

Think he'd be competitive for maybe a quarter? I mean, he's 50. No way he'd run up and down the court with 20 year olds for an entire NBA game. Sure, he could beat some of them one on one, but playing an NBA game is entirely different.
02-18-2013 02:55 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(02-18-2013 02:40 PM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  I respect MJ's athletic accomplishments and talents, but frankly I don't like him that much as person. He doesn't impress me as anything to feel he cares much about others.

His kids aren't that great either. Very self serving. IIWII! (itiswhatitis)03-yawn
02-18-2013 02:56 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2013 02:55 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Think he'd be competitive for maybe a quarter? I mean, he's 50. No way he'd run up and down the court with 20 year olds for an entire NBA game. Sure, he could beat some of them one on one, but playing an NBA game is entirely different.

I think you underestmate 50 year olds. Granted there aren't really any examples in basketball but there are quite a few in combat sports like boxing and MMA of near 50 to even 50+ year old guys competing successfully. If a guy like Forman in boxing or Randy Couture can be a compeditive MMA fighter at 47 or 48 I don't see why Jordan couldn't play 25 minutes a game. If you've ever tried to box that will wear you out faster than basketball IMO. I think the real issue would be 4 game weeks and not having the time to recover.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 03:23 PM by StillJonesing.)
02-18-2013 03:22 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(02-18-2013 02:14 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  I doubt he comes back. The greatest of all time has nothing to prove.

Bill Russell 11 Rings
Michael Jordan 6 Rings
Nuff said....He isn't and never was the greatest...

And this coming from a Lakers fan.

Jordan was a product of the Media. And he really didn't have a rival in the NBA.
02-18-2013 03:33 PM
Advertisement

SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

(02-18-2013 03:22 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(02-18-2013 02:55 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Think he'd be competitive for maybe a quarter? I mean, he's 50. No way he'd run up and down the court with 20 year olds for an entire NBA game. Sure, he could beat some of them one on one, but playing an NBA game is entirely different.

I think you underestmate 50 year olds. Granted there aren't really any examples in basketball but there are quite a few in combat sports like boxing and MMA of near 50 to even 50+ year old guys competing successfully. If a guy like Forman in boxing or Randy Couture can be a compeditive MMA fighter at 47 or 48 I don't see why Jordan couldn't play 25 minutes a game. If you've ever tried to box that will wear you out faster than basketball IMO. I think the real issue would be 4 game weeks and not having the time to recover.

I am just a few weeks short of being 60 so I can give you insight into being in your 50s and one thing you find real fast is that you lose by natural progression the ability to get pass the aches and pain of a grueling schedule. You also notice the body can't do the things you use to take for granted and it really doesn't matter if you were a superb and highly accomplished physical specimen in your younger years. Most of what MJ is about is his ego and the refusal to accept he has gotten beyond his days of being a pro basketball player. I don't care for him overall so if he wants to come back that is his business but I doubt he is going to be able to contribute as much as his ego makes him think.
02-18-2013 03:37 PM
Lee Moses Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
(02-18-2013 03:33 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Bill Russell 11 Rings
Michael Jordan 6 Rings

Jordan was a product of the Media. And he really didn't have a rival in the NBA.

No . . . that's an argument, but it isn't "'nuff said." If rings were all that mattered, Robert Horry would be a better player than Michael Jordan. . . . and any non-Celtic in the history of the game. Michael Jordan could take a team on his shoulders like no one I've ever seen. He only won 6 rings, but he would have unquestionably won the two more in the middle if he had not taken a baseball vacation. And the Bulls performance in the '95-'96 season was the most dominant in the history of the sport, in an NBA that was far superior to the NBA of Bill Russell's day.

I'm not saying that Bill Russell shouldn't be in the conversation of "greatest ever," or that counting rings shouldn't be part of the argument. . . . But it's far from "'nuff said."
02-18-2013 03:46 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2013 03:33 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Bill Russell 11 Rings
Michael Jordan 6 Rings

That's ridicoulous. #1 championships don't totally define greatness in a team game and #2 the era's are not even close to comparable. There were like 8 teams when Russel played and 26-30 when Jordan did and they only allowed a certain number of black players as well I believe. Jordan also had no rivals because he blew through them all. Magic, Drexler, Barkley, Ewing, Malone etc.
02-18-2013 03:48 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
he aint coming back and if he did he couldnt play. Who would he guard? the 2 and 3's would blow past him and the 4's would back his ass down and shoot over him. I have no doubt that he could be effective some way on offense for a minute or two at a time though.
02-18-2013 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.