Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A recap of some old news. (Only read if you want to be ticked off)
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
A recap of some old news. (Only read if you want to be ticked off)
02-17-2013 06:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: A recap of some old news. (Only read if you want to be ticked off)
Voted 22-0 to not go to the OVC,

Handpicked by Stanton to get what he wanted you think?

Quote:"We like ... I like the A-Sun, and we think it's improving," Stanton said. “We're developing rivalries, possibly faster than we thought we would

We STILL haven't developed any A-Sun rivalries, none the fans give a damn about.

Quote:Buccaneer Athletic Director Dave Mullins then gave a presentation illustrating the pros and cons of the OVC and A-Sun, based around comparative statistical data

Mullins couldn't present a bone to a dog.

Quote:“I think there was pretty much a consensus of what was good for us,” said Jo Anne Paty, ETSU associate athletic director and Buccaneer Athletic Scholarship Association executive director. “I think, right now, for our student-athletes – not just a couple teams; all of our teams and student-athletes – it’s in our best interest, if you look at standings and win-loss records, to remain in the Atlantic Sun.”

Hey we can beat up on these teams, why leave.

Quote:Stanton added that a small task force will be assembled in the near future to examine the overall future of ETSU athletics, focusing particularly on the Buccaneers’ men’s basketball program, the school’s athletic facilities, and the possible reinstatement of the university’s football program.

Hey lets build all the crap we need the least first and never build the most important thing we need at all!!!
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 09:42 AM by RodShaw2.)
02-17-2013 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The OVC is NOT out of the running, I found out yesterday. Watch closely what happens with the Big East: Depending on who they get, they can trickle all the way down to the SoCon and can affect us.
02-17-2013 10:29 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
That's what I've been hearing, too. It's very much an open question, moreso than it was just a month ago.
This would be wrong to apply to our recent football-less past, but for the immediate present and immediate future, "all things in due time"....
I.e., by the time we get TBR approval (presumed almost certain, but one never knows), the conference landscape could very well look different than it does even now. There is a sense of not being in *too* big a hurry and 'trapping' ourselves in a less-than-what-we-could-ultimately-get situation. Apparently Sander is doing most of this work, and has his finger on the pulse of all these things - not an easy thing to do.

Also, although I keep hearing about a donor or donors willing to supply the ASun buyout money, I can't find a name for that, and can't even confirm that it's indeed factual. It seems that that info, if it's actually there, is being kept completely in the pocket of a very small number of people.
02-17-2013 12:07 PM
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

More and more, the ovc is where i want to go unless we can get into the caa, which i dont think we can get into.
02-17-2013 12:35 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(02-17-2013 12:35 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  More and more, the ovc is where i want to go unless we can get into the caa, which i dont think we can get into.
I've been hearing about a mass exdous from the CAA, if they need us,they will take us.
02-17-2013 01:43 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

The CAA is the place to be!
02-17-2013 03:09 PM
Advertisement

GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
We don't need a donor to cover the $200K for the ASun money. We already have that, and could write the check today if need be. That's cheap.

The problem w/ the OVC is fan travel to the games and travel to SEMO & Eastern Illinois. It is a better basketball league for certain. I would opt for the SoCon simply to travel to the games, but OVC is a good league. I would be surprised if the CAA is interested, but as things change, you never know.
02-17-2013 04:17 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Man the SoCon is sounding less and less desirable. Furman, Wofford, Elon, Samford, Citadel, maybe Mercer and Kennesaw too? eeehhh.
02-17-2013 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Never heard anything about Kennesaw. Um... How about Chattanooga? UNCG? Davidson?
02-17-2013 07:54 PM
Advertisement

One Of The Last Buc Linemen Offline
Banned

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Quote:
(02-17-2013 09:25 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
Quote:"We like ... I like the A-Sun, and we think it's improving," Stanton said. “We're developing rivalries, possibly faster than we thought we would

We STILL haven't developed any A-Sun rivalries, none the fans give a damn about.

i strongly disagree! however, they left for the ovc last year,,,,,,,,,,woops!

Quote:
Quote:“I think there was pretty much a consensus of what was good for us,” said Jo Anne Paty, ETSU associate athletic director and Buccaneer Athletic Scholarship Association executive director. “I think, right now, for our student-athletes – not just a couple teams; all of our teams and student-athletes – it’s in our best interest, if you look at standings and win-loss records, to remain in the Atlantic Sun.”

Hey we can beat up on these teams, why leave.

that was true at the time. these days, im not so sure

everyone joins the asun on their way up, use it as a d1 jump off point. etsu used it as a d1 safety net. heres hoping theres some spring in that net to pop us back upward
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 09:20 PM by One Of The Last Buc Linemen.)
02-17-2013 09:19 PM
Banned

(02-17-2013 07:17 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Man the SoCon is sounding less and less desirable. Furman, Wofford, Elon, Samford, Citadel, maybe Mercer and Kennesaw too? eeehhh.

got a far-fetched idea here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

how does the big south sound IF etsu, utc, western carolina, and mercer made a "group offer" to join

benefits for big south conference,,,,,,,,,
1. would be a big bump-up in conference rpi
2. would bring more "name recognition" to conference (i.e. - compare utc to high point)
3. would put the conference at 16 full member schools, which would be strong for when liberty goes fbs or for when socon makes grabs for any of the private schools (campbell, high point, liberty, csu, gardner-webb, presbyterian, mercer)

benefits for etsu,,,,,,,,,
1. we get the hell out of the asun
2. big south is a football conference
3. rekindled old socon rivalries with utc, wcu, and vmi
4. continued/rekindled asun rivalries with mercer and campbell
5. we get the hell out of the asun
5. though the conference rpi would be pretty much a lateral move (if utc, mercer, and wcu is in the mix), all travels would be very close,,,,no florida schools!!!
6. closest big south rival would be only 1 hour = unc ashville
7. get annual home/away payback opportunities after this years losses to csu
8. we get the hell out of the asun

benefits for utc and wcu,,,,,,,,,,
1. they get out of the socon (which apparently wants to be all private anyway), without a drop in conference rpi,,,,,,considering all 4 schools make the move
2. they get back with us!!!

benefits for mercer,,,,,,,,,,
1. they get the hell out of the asun
2. they get the hell out of the asun
3. big south is a football conference
4. they get the hell out of the asun

also, big south wouldnt be too bad either if uscu was somehow in the mix. maybe to replace one of the private schools if other conference expansions come calling (socon)

in all,,,,,,,,,,,,
what im thinking here is not for etsu to join the big south just because it has football and we want the hell out of the asun,,,,,,,,,,but, with mercer, wcu, and utc coming with us, the big south could be a great regional league for all involved

current wiki map of big south,,,,,,,,,
[Image: 800px-Big_South_Map.svg.png]
02-17-2013 10:47 PM
Banned

o.k.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im getting cought up in this wacked-out idea here, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,

suppose that asun will dissolve and socon wants to be all private schools, and consider that big south/socon have similar geo footprints,,,,,

couldnt big south be all regional public universities?

(forgetting ga southern / app state,,,,,,,,,yep, probably going fbs) heres what im thinking might be a cool realignment

an all-private socon,,,,,,,,,,
elon
sanford
davidson
furman
wofford
campbell
high point
liberty
csu
gardner-webb
presbyterian
mercer
lipscomb
jacksonville

an all-public big south,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
longwood
radford
vmi
coastal carolina
unc ashville
winthrop
etsu
western carolina
utc
usc-upstate
kennesaw state
north florida
unc-greensboro
the citadel
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(theres one florida school there, but just barely)

conference equality = 14 schools in each conference in roughly the same geographic area
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 01:04 AM by One Of The Last Buc Linemen.)
02-17-2013 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.