Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is UTEP ready for a Mountain West move?
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
Quote:UTEP's new head football coach Sean Kugler will earn more than $1.4 million, plus incentives, over a five-year period, according to documents obtained by the El Paso Times.

Both Kugler and Athletic Director Bob Stull's contracts are the consent agenda for the upcoming University of Texas board of regents meeting Wednesday in Austin. Details of the contracts are listed on the agenda.
Kugler's proposed contract is for $280,000 a year from Jan. 1, 2013, to Aug. 31, 2018, plus incentives.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci...r-earn-1-4

UTEP is signing its new football coach to the paltry sum of 280k a year. That is low money by even MAC standards.

The question I'm raising is the assumption has always been that UTEP is a perfect fit for the Mountain West based mostly on the Sun Bowl fan base but from an investment standpoint they hardly sound serious about competing for Access Bowls.

I'm of the opinion that the MW should hold out for Houston, SMU and/or Tulsa. If they need additional schools to make the numbers work then fill with Memphis/Tulane. UTEP looks to be a total waste of time.
02-12-2013 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
RE: Is UTEP ready for a Mountain West move?
You're posts are a waste of time.

Let me know when you're team can bring in 50K in fball and 12K in bball, before you cast stones.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 09:42 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
02-12-2013 09:39 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

Commitment is measured today largely by coaching salaries. Cincinnati can't make 50k/12k in attendance either yet they are paying their head football coach 3 million a year.

Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Houston have all gone out and signed football and basketball coaches in the 1-2 million range. This is what the Mountain West is going to be looking for.

CUSA is going to end up UTEP, UTSA, TX St, UNT in the state of Texas eventually.
02-12-2013 09:58 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline

I'm sure you know what the MWC is looking for..... 01-wingedeagle

We've shared conferences and rivalries with most. Boise fans will probably not agree (it was before they were grouped with the former WAC teams). But ask UNM, AFA, Co St., and even BYU, and Utah fans. They'll tell you about intense histories.

You're in Ohio State land.... You wouldn't know.... It's OK.... Go Buckeyes!

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 10:23 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
02-12-2013 10:22 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(02-12-2013 09:58 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Commitment is measured today largely by coaching salaries. Cincinnati can't make 50k/12k in attendance either yet they are paying their head football coach 3 million a year.

Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Houston have all gone out and signed football and basketball coaches in the 1-2 million range. This is what the Mountain West is going to be looking for.

CUSA is going to end up UTEP, UTSA, TX St, UNT in the state of Texas eventually.

That's the CUSA teams in TX now...

If UTEP wants in, they'll get in. They are more closely aligned with them anyway and their basketball will be a boost to an already good conference.

As for Tulsa, I would think that they want to be with SMU and Tulane. As for SMU and Tulane they will be in the BE, along with Houston. Period, over and out.
02-12-2013 10:29 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
After UTEP being in CUSA for quite a while and reading their fans posts.... I have doubts that UTEP would seriously consider the MWC. Whether the MWC invites or talks to them about joining is another matter.
02-12-2013 10:37 PM
Advertisement

RUNVSFD MINER Offline

(02-12-2013 10:37 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  After UTEP being in CUSA for quite a while and reading their fans posts.... I have doubts that UTEP would seriously consider the MWC. Whether the MWC invites or talks to them about joining is another matter.

I think our chances are slim PTNC.... But for someone who's handle is named after purses, roots for High Fashion, likes Ohio, and has a chunky version of Steve Lavin in his avatar, claiming that he/she knows what is best for the MWC and whether UTEP has made a commitment to its athletics? 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 10:47 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
02-12-2013 10:46 PM
ThunderDent Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Herd & SBC!
Pretty much every head coach gets a "base" salary (public or private), and then gets contracted extras that bump their numbers up by a lot more than that.

Bonuses, Cars, Memberships, etc.
02-12-2013 10:52 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2013 10:52 PM)ThunderDent Wrote:  Pretty much every head coach gets a "base" salary (public or private), and then gets contracted extras that bump their numbers up by a lot more than that.

Bonuses, Cars, Memberships, etc.

I don't think this is the case here at all per the article....

Very low expectations in El Paso.
02-12-2013 11:02 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I've never been to El Paso. But I would think that a school whose students are 70% Hispanic-American, 10% Mexican citizens, and 20% "other" would root for futbol, not football.
02-13-2013 01:34 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
I don't think the MWC is interested in further expansion at the moment, unless some combination of Houston, SMU and/or BYU were to become available. UTEP doesn't appear to be on the radar for #13 but could land a spot as #14 or #16 if one or all three of those schools were added.
02-13-2013 02:09 AM
Advertisement

SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
If UTEP wants to head to MWC they certainly are on the short list. IMO they stick it out with CUSA. 3 additional Texas teams to fill your stadium and please your alumi is too much to leave behind.
02-13-2013 02:13 AM
SWFootballFan Offline
Special Teams

The coach has never been a coordinator nor a head coach. He gets paid at that low rate. UTEP's Basketball coach makes 450K base but averages 550K due to ticket sales. UTEP has for years based most of the salary on ticket sales. As the president stated why pay a half a million for a two win season.
02-13-2013 04:10 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(02-12-2013 09:58 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Commitment is measured today largely by coaching salaries. Cincinnati can't make 50k/12k in attendance either yet they are paying their head football coach 3 million a year.

What's happening to Rice?
02-13-2013 04:36 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-12-2013 10:46 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 10:37 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  After UTEP being in CUSA for quite a while and reading their fans posts.... I have doubts that UTEP would seriously consider the MWC. Whether the MWC invites or talks to them about joining is another matter.

I think our chances are slim PTNC.... But for someone who's handle is named after purses, roots for High Fashion, likes Ohio, and has a chunky version of Steve Lavin in his avatar, claiming that he/she knows what is best for the MWC and whether UTEP has made a commitment to its athletics? 01-wingedeagle
My thoughts:

He's a Houston Cougars fan. His agenda seems to be for UH to become a power in football by running away from Southern Miss. To call that misguided would be an understatement. If I were a dentist I'd use his posts as a cheap alternative to nitrous oxide.

I could be wrong... and LK's got every right to think what he wants. Running away from USM and right into the Big XII isn't any stupider an idea than a lot of crap that the "left behind but proud" people post.
02-13-2013 05:00 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(02-13-2013 01:34 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I've never been to El Paso. But I would think that a school whose students are 70% Hispanic-American, 10% Mexican citizens, and 20% "other" would root for futbol, not football.

it's still Texas
02-13-2013 06:21 PM
Advertisement

laxtonto Offline
1st String

I Root For: LAX
Anyone going to explain to me how you convince the front range schools to vote to add the combination of UH/SMU/Tulsa/UTEP that will instantly assure them that they no longer get to have the cash cow which is BSU in their division?

You got to balance the divisions some how. I would expect that CSU, WYO, and AF to vote against it if it means that they are losing access to the secondary TV right movie from playing the national BSU games. Not really sure how you get to 16 in the MWC without totally restructuring the TV payouts, which they have already shown that the rights hold is unwilling to really budge on.
02-13-2013 06:32 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(02-12-2013 09:32 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
Quote:UTEP's new head football coach Sean Kugler will earn more than $1.4 million, plus incentives, over a five-year period, according to documents obtained by the El Paso Times.

Both Kugler and Athletic Director Bob Stull's contracts are the consent agenda for the upcoming University of Texas board of regents meeting Wednesday in Austin. Details of the contracts are listed on the agenda.
Kugler's proposed contract is for $280,000 a year from Jan. 1, 2013, to Aug. 31, 2018, plus incentives.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci...r-earn-1-4

UTEP is signing its new football coach to the paltry sum of 280k a year. That is low money by even MAC standards.

The question I'm raising is the assumption has always been that UTEP is a perfect fit for the Mountain West based mostly on the Sun Bowl fan base but from an investment standpoint they hardly sound serious about competing for Access Bowls.

I'm of the opinion that the MW should hold out for Houston, SMU and/or Tulsa. If they need additional schools to make the numbers work then fill with Memphis/Tulane. UTEP looks to be a total waste of time.

That last statement is absolutely stupid on your part.

I don't like that the pay is low for Kugler but apparently he really wanted the job, the people at UTEP know him well since he played at UTEP and coached as an assistant, he comes highly recommended but UTEP is unwilling to fork over much money until he proves himself. Hopefully he does just that. Other than that, UTEP has excellent facilities that have been added/improved over the last 10 years. Some of the best around. Wins in FB and basketball bring very good crowds. El Paso is growing and we don't apologize for being majority Hispanic. UTEP has a great future ahead of it. You can take your ignorant and snarky sentiments and stick them where its most uncomfortable.
02-13-2013 11:12 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(02-13-2013 01:34 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I've never been to El Paso. But I would think that a school whose students are 70% Hispanic-American, 10% Mexican citizens, and 20% "other" would root for futbol, not football.

If that isn't over-generalization, bordering on racism, I don't know what is!! FYI, a lot of Hispanics and even a lot of Mexicans enjoy football in addition to futbol!! I remember watching a MNF preseason game in Mexico City, and the stadium was packed to capacity, with the crowd (about 95% Mexicans) going wild!!!
02-14-2013 06:47 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I attended the 2010 Sun Bowl game (ND v. Miami). The people of El Paso were great.

The game was sold out. The locals were all decked out in ND gear and cheering for the Irish.

The Sun Bowl is a unique venue for a game. I enjoyed the bowl experience in El Paso very much.

I wish UTEP the best. I hope they get in the MWC if that is their goal.
02-14-2013 07:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.