Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I am WAY past the point of caring what happens to the Big East
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
I am WAY past the point of caring what happens to the Big East
I used to get my self overly concerned about this situation. Honestly, I don't care if the Big East gets 20M or 20 cents per year in TV dollars anymore. Don't care. And I suggest you take this attitude too. There is no point in getting yourself worked up over it. Won't change a thing. The BE will get what it will get. Aresco will get as many dollars as he can get. I still think it may be a decent deal according to jersey guy article. But if not, oh well. The fact is there are no better options until the ACC or Big 12 comes calling. The fact is the BE is still the best option. The fact is this is still the best collection of schools available together. The fact is USF will still play football somewhere if the BE crumbles, which won't happen. The fact is I will still root for my team no matter what. The fact is USF, UCF, UC, UConn, etc. will all be attractive to someone should things come to that. So at this point, i don't care either way. When the callup comes, I will be happy. Until then, I will be happy playing the new collection of BE teams. Many of whom I am excited to play. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the NBE. If it works out great. If not who cares.
02-12-2013 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: I am WAY past the point of caring what happens to the Big East
These are the post you see when you know your leaders have failed.
02-12-2013 09:20 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(02-12-2013 09:20 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  These are the post you see when you know your leaders have failed.

Lets face it...Aresco and the Big East were not in a position of power in these TV negotiations. The Big East has been the laughing stock of college athletics over the last couple of years. The more I think about it the more I want to kick myself in the ass for thinking we would get any kind of decent TV contract. Common sense should have told me that we would be looking at a deal similar in dollars to what the MWC is getting. If there was going to be any substantial amount of money over what the MWC conference was able to get out of their restructuring then SDSU and Boise St would still be around.
02-12-2013 09:55 PM
Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
20 million or 200 million This is still the best league outside of the power five top to bottom for football and its is a solid basketball league with Memphis Cincinnati Temple and UCONN. We will have good bowl games and be a multi bid league for basketball
02-12-2013 10:01 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
(02-12-2013 09:17 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I used to get my self overly concerned about this situation. Honestly, I don't care if the Big East gets 20M or 20 cents per year in TV dollars anymore. Don't care. And I suggest you take this attitude too. There is no point in getting yourself worked up over it. Won't change a thing. The BE will get what it will get. Aresco will get as many dollars as he can get. I still think it may be a decent deal according to jersey guy article. But if not, oh well. The fact is there are no better options until the ACC or Big 12 comes calling. The fact is the BE is still the best option. The fact is this is still the best collection of schools available together. The fact is USF will still play football somewhere if the BE crumbles, which won't happen. The fact is I will still root for my team no matter what. The fact is USF, UCF, UC, UConn, etc. will all be attractive to someone should things come to that. So at this point, i don't care either way. When the callup comes, I will be happy. Until then, I will be happy playing the new collection of BE teams. Many of whom I am excited to play. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the NBE. If it works out great. If not who cares.

I agree with you.
Its been a long fight for the BE.
You can only bang your head against the wall for so long.
02-12-2013 10:27 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I'm somewhat numb from all of the changes.

I think UConn is a more valuable school than BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers or WVU when you weigh all of the factors that count (academics, market size, success in athletics). But for whatever reason, UConn was the school that was passed over by the "big" conferences.

Am I bitter? A little. But I really like the Big East, especially since SMU is now in the conference. We're going to beat a lot of the teams from the top conferences. And we have many bright spots ... this year, UConn finished about #62 in recruiting and our bitter enemy (Boston College) was #87. Ha!

I'm going to enjoy the Big East. There's not one school in the conference that I'm embarrassed to be associated with. I like all you guys! It's going to be ok. And even if ESPN continues to hate us, I'm still going to: 1) buy my season tickets at UConn and SMU, 2) root for my teams, and 3) hope the Big East succeeds.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 10:39 PM by UConn-SMU.)
02-12-2013 10:37 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-12-2013 10:37 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I'm somewhat numb from all of the changes.

I think UConn is a more valuable school than BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers or WVU when you weigh all of the factors that count (academics, market size, success in athletics). But for whatever reason, UConn was the school that was passed over by the "big" conferences.

Am I bitter? A little. But I really like the Big East, especially since SMU is now in the conference. We're going to beat a lot of the teams from the top conferences. And we have many bright spots ... this year, UConn finished about #62 in recruiting and our bitter enemy (Boston College) was #87. Ha!

I'm going to enjoy the Big East. There's not one school in the conference that I'm embarrassed to be associated with. I like all you guys! It's going to be ok. And even if ESPN continues to hate us, I'm still going to: 1) buy my season tickets at UConn and SMU, 2) root for my teams, and 3) hope the Big East succeeds.

You guys will be fine. I suspect that UConn and Cinci will do something with the C-7. I dont think anyone expected the contract to be this low. I coouldnt blame anyone with a reasonable alternative for getting out at this point. It is what it is.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 10:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-12-2013 10:54 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-12-2013 10:54 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 10:37 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I'm somewhat numb from all of the changes.

You guys will be fine. I suspect that UConn and Cinci will do something with the C-7. I dont think anyone expected the contract to be this low. I coouldnt blame anyone with a reasonable alternative for getting out at this point. It is what it is.

I thought about that but with the Big Ten talk picking up again. They might make a move. Either way the exit fees and tournament credits probably are enough to keep those two in the league until the the wave of realignment. Aresco is also betting that if the next wave doesn't hit he can get a bigger deal years from now if the landscape is stable.

I also predict that name being sold for money too. This conference will be living off a settlement fund.
02-12-2013 11:00 PM
TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
BAC - The Best Available Conference
02-12-2013 11:28 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Good post, UConn-SMU. That's about all we can do at this point.

AttackCoog, I don't think UC, UConn or any other FB school is going to hook up with the C7. Not worth throwing your FB program under the bus for $1M or so more, plus paying a $10M exit fee.. Makes absolutely no sense.
02-12-2013 11:31 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-12-2013 11:31 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Good post, UConn-SMU. That's about all we can do at this point.

AttackCoog, I don't think UC, UConn or any other FB school is going to hook up with the C7. Not worth throwing your FB program under the bus for $1M or so more, plus paying a $10M exit fee.. Makes absolutely no sense.

If Cincinnati and UConn joined, the Big East could be disbanded nullifying any exit fees. I'm really not sure what Cincinnati and UConn are going to do at this point. Either way, I think (and pray) both teams end up being invited to the ACC once the Maryland-ACC lawsuit is settled and the B1G moves on UVA and GTech/UNC for #15 and 16 that way we don't have to be apart of this dumpster fire of a league. I would have been content in the Big East make between 5-7 million a year in television revenue but 2 million is a laughable offer. Xavier basketball making more television money than Cincinnati basketball and football is an absolute F*CKING joke. There is no way anyone can expect Cincinnati and UConn fans (and USF for that matter) to be content with the cards they have been dealt. They have been stabbed in the back by the very schools that they competed against under the same conference banner (knowingly or not). Apologies in advance if UConn and Cincy do the same to you because, as a fan, it feels incredibly terrible.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 12:29 AM by UCbball21.)
02-13-2013 12:22 AM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
UConn and Cincy could possibly go to the MAC for FB only and Cincy at least completely dominate them in football. They could put hoops in a premier hoops league, the C7. The only thing that really matters if they want to catch the eye of the ACC is maintain strong basketball.

If the ACC really does get raided that might buy them enough time.

I could see it possibly happening, especially if they can disolve the conference and avoid all the fees. That COULD be enough incentive for the C7 to want them.

Talk about royally F-ing USF though.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 12:29 AM by blunderbuss.)
02-13-2013 12:28 AM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(02-13-2013 12:28 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  UConn and Cincy could possibly go to the MAC for FB only and Cincy at least completely dominate them in football. They could put hoops in a premier hoops league, the C7. The only thing that really matters if they want to catch the eye of the ACC is maintain strong basketball.

I could see it possibly happening, especially if they can disolve the conference and avoid all the fees. That COULD be enough incentive for the C7 to want them.

All options are on the table for both schools at this point: NBE, NBE (football-only), MWC (football-only), independent...I don't think the MAC is on the table, at least for Cincinnati. The biggest thing for Cincinnati is maintaing a Florida recruiting presence which makes me hate the idea of playing in the MWC, not to mention the travel would be killer. For that reason I don't see the MWC being a viable option either but it could be used as negotiating leverage against the NBE.

I have a feeling USF is going to get the biggest royal shafting and my condolences to their fan base in advance.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 12:36 AM by UCbball21.)
02-13-2013 12:35 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Im at the same point part of me wants Tulsa to be in private east coast centric school league but the thought of never being on TV and being on an obscure network bumms me out.

Im almost leaning more towards nothing and enjoying the fox contract for the next few years and playing LA Tech, UNT, UTEP and UTSA in the west. Our games will be on every week and we have just as good a chance as getting ranked as anyone in the BE. We should win CUSA for the next 2 years easy.

Next year will be fun. If Tulsa joins the BE I its 2015 so we know what the league looks like. Hopefully it will look exactly like CUSA

THE MWC 16 could always happen when Fox CUSA contract runs out.
02-13-2013 12:42 AM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
After all of the upcoming conference realignment, I don't think it'll really matter, anymore. I think 2013 will be one last year and done for the Big East. Not just as we know it...but for good.
02-13-2013 01:00 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(02-13-2013 12:35 AM)UCbball21 Wrote:  I have a feeling USF is going to get the biggest royal shafting and my condolences to their fan base in advance.

I hate to say it but I wouldn't feel all THAT bad. USF has barely been playing FBS football for over a decade.

I kind of feel for Cincy, you guys were and ex-CUSA school but you've basically lost everything, rivals, geography and took a pay cut apparently. UConn got shafted even worse IMO.
02-13-2013 01:00 AM
Advertisement

Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(02-13-2013 12:28 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  UConn and Cincy could possibly go to the MAC for FB only and Cincy at least completely dominate them in football. They could put hoops in a premier hoops league, the C7. The only thing that really matters if they want to catch the eye of the ACC is maintain strong basketball.

Cincy and UConn have enough history to maintain strong basketball for a long time, I think. Plenty of schools are solid in basketball and are in much worse conferences. UConn and Cincy will also be able to load up in their 15 non-conference games for SOS, as well. It's was Memphis has done, as well as Gonzaga.

IMO, I think UConn and Cincy just sit tight until all of the realignment is done....then evaluate. I think we'll see a HUGE wave of expansion on the horizon, very soon. It wouldn't make much sense to go scrambling to find a schedule by going indy and split their sports up, right now.
02-13-2013 01:05 AM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

(02-13-2013 01:05 AM)Goldenbuc Wrote:  

Cincy and UConn have enough history to maintain strong basketball for a long time, I think. Plenty of schools are solid in basketball and are in much worse conferences. UConn and Cincy will also be able to load up in their 15 non-conference games for SOS, as well. It's was Memphis has done, as well as Gonzaga.

IMO, I think UConn and Cincy just sit tight until all of the realignment is done....then evaluate. I think we'll see a HUGE wave of expansion on the horizon, very soon. It wouldn't make much sense to go scrambling to find a schedule by going indy and split their sports up, right now.

The NBE is still a very competitive basketball conference with Cincy, UConn, Memphis, and Temple leading the way. They will be on the same level as the C7(12), PAC-12, and SEC (some years) in terms of strength. If it wasn't for this ridiculous $20 million television offer I would be content biding our time in this conference until a Big 5 conference came calling.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 01:40 AM by UCbball21.)
02-13-2013 01:14 AM
GoTigersJoe87 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
From a Memphis perspective-always the bridesmaid never the bride. But this arrangement is still better than remaining in the remnants of C-USA.

I can understand feeling you have finally made it and having the rug yanked out from under you; but to actually do it- to win BCS conference titles and bowl games and THEN get shafted. I don't know what else you could do to prove yourselves in Cincy.

Watching Louisville now is pretty anger inducing to both of us. Their results on the field can't match Cincy's during the last 5 years, but they invested at the right time and had more than a little luck. Good for them.

Still, if you want to see how it could get worse just take a look at Southern Miss. I feel for them big time as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 01:34 AM by GoTigersJoe87.)
02-13-2013 01:33 AM
L1C4 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL
(02-13-2013 01:33 AM)GoTigersJoe87 Wrote:  From a Memphis perspective-always the bridesmaid never the bride. But this arrangement is still better than remaining in the remnants of C-USA.

I can understand feeling you have finally made it and having the rug yanked out from under you; but to actually do it- to win BCS conference titles and bowl games and THEN get shafted. I don't know what else you could do to prove yourselves in Cincy.

Watching Louisville now is pretty anger inducing to both of us. Their results on the field can't match Cincy's during the last 5 years, but they invested at the right time and had more than a little luck. Good for them.

Still, if you want to see how it could get worse just take a look at Southern Miss. I feel for them big time as well.

We have 3 Big East titles and 2 BCS Bowl victories along with giving the league some nice OOC wins. Our success on the field has been pretty good since we joined the league. We earned our spot.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 05:51 AM by L1C4.)
02-13-2013 05:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.