Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some conspiracy-type theories re: leakage
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Some conspiracy-type theories re: leakage
in regards to Brett McMurphy's article about the $20-$23 Million dollar "verbal offer"...

(I apologize ahead of time if all of this has been posted by someone else on here)...

So I was thinking....who would leak information to Brett McMurphy at ESPN about a "verbal offer" from a competing network to the Big East?

Where is NBC headquartered now? Philadelphia. Because NBC is owned by Comcast/Universal...that's where Comcast/Universal is.

Who else is in Philadelphia? Villanova...part of the departing C7 group.

Theory......a staffer in Villanova's Athletic department....perhaps their SID office is friends with/has good contacts with folks at Comcast/NBC/Universal. Those contacts leak partial and out of context NBC/Comcast offer details to Brett McMurphy at ESPN knowing it would cause a chain reaction of doom and gloom and panic on blogs and message boards. Further, other media outlets, knowing Brett McMurphy is usually a good source of info, runs with the story, so his article becomes "group think".

This helps the C7 (ie..Villanova) because they could then use this established panic as leverage to help them lure a Memphis or Temple to come with them, helping to destroy the remaining football conference. Remember, the C7 reportedly approached Memphis recently about joining the C7, with Memphis telling them "NO".

Timing is everything with this stuff: was the C7 hoping to take advantage of an emotional, quick trigger decision by Memphis?

This leakage would also help to drive the price of the media rights down on the back end for ESPN, especially if NBC looked to sell any excess rights they couldn't fit into their programming lineup (if in fact this is an all inclusive offer from NBC Sports, which I'm still having a hard time believe. But I don't see how NBC can fit all of the available game content into just 1 or 2 networks, so they would probably have to sub-license inventory just like CBS will be doing with the Mountain West). So NBC buys it up cheap then sells it "at a discount" to ESPN's eyes.

Why is it that no other independent media outlets have come out with information that either refutes Brett McMurphy's story, or confirms his story, using different sources than Brett's?
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 10:48 PM by ECMAN79.)
02-11-2013 10:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
RE: Some conspiracy-type theories about McMurphy.........
I have no doubt that McMurphy's source on the subject is from a C7 school. It's either Nova or Georgetown, but don't blame Brett, blame the source. The C7 has a vested interest in devaluing the football schools. It would not surprise me to learn that this leak came from them and that this leak may be very very wrong. But I may be more hoping than expecting.

Oh, and shorten your title.
02-11-2013 10:34 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
RE: Some conspiracy-type theories I'm piecing together tonight about McMurphy
Interesting, but you're overthinking it. It's been about a month since our last McBullshit circle jerk, we were simply due for another.

btw, the title is too long, you should shorten it if you want replies.
02-11-2013 10:35 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

RE: Some conspiracy-type theories re: leakage
sorry about the title length....I shortened it.
02-11-2013 10:37 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Lol at leakage
02-11-2013 10:38 PM
whitey Offline
1st String

I Root For: a playoff
Makes a lot of sense.
02-11-2013 10:40 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Some conspiracy-type theories leakage
(02-11-2013 10:38 PM)TigerSeth Wrote:  Lol at leakage

it will all work out, leakage

[Image: tumblr_m86i8o9h9I1rcjifso1_500.gif]
02-11-2013 10:41 PM
Owls_Law Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
Agree it's definitely some type of campaign intended to spawn negative reactions and lower the nBE's value by some party or parties, whether it's C7 or one of the media companies. Something sinister is going on for sure! 01-lauramac2
02-11-2013 10:46 PM
WinOrLoseEAGLE Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-11-2013 10:30 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  in regards to Brett McMurphy's article about the $20-$23 Million dollar "verbal offer"...

(I apologize ahead of time if all of this has been posted by someone else on here)...

So I was thinking....who would leak information to Brett McMurphy at ESPN about a "verbal offer" from a competing network to the Big East?

Where is NBC headquartered now? Philadelphia. Because NBC is owned by Comcast/Universal...that's where Comcast/Universal is.

Theory......a staffer in Villanova's Athletic department....perhaps their SID office is friends with/has good contacts with folks at Comcast/NBC/Universal. Those contacts leak partial and out of context NBC/Comcast offer details to Brett McMurphy at ESPN knowing it would cause a chain reaction of doom and gloom and panic on blogs and message boards. Further, other media outlets, knowing Brett McMurphy is usually a good source of info, runs with the story, so his article becomes "group think".

This helps the C7 (ie..Villanova) because they could then use this established panic as leverage to help them lure a Memphis or Temple to come with them, helping to destroy the remaining football conference. Remember, the C7 reportedly approached Memphis recently about joining the C7, with Memphis telling them "NO".

Timing is everything with this stuff: was the C7 hoping to take advantage of an emotional, quick trigger decision by Memphis?

This leakage would also help to drive the price of the media rights down on the back end for ESPN, especially if NBC looked to sell any excess rights they couldn't fit into their programming lineup (if in fact this is an all inclusive offer from NBC Sports, which I'm still having a hard time believe. But I don't see how NBC can fit all of the available game content into just 1 or 2 networks, so they would probably have to sub-license inventory just like CBS will be doing with the Mountain West). So NBC buys it up cheap then sells it "at a discount" to ESPN's eyes.

Why is it that no other independent media outlets have come out with information that either refutes Brett McMurphy's story, or confirms his story, using different sources than Brett's?

Why not just look for the logical....doesn't espn have right of first refusal? IF that is indeed true then espn would be given the terms of an offer by NBC to see if they wanted to match - after all, espn would have to see the deal in order to know if they would match. THEN, espn, with the offer in hand, dials extension 1234 and says "hey Murph, here's the numbers - go ahead and tweet 'em".

This makes much more sense than a conspiracy. It's not nearly as fun though it's much more likely.
02-11-2013 10:53 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Espn would not be given terms of proposal. only the final deal. You wheel, deal and get best deals possible on Tier 1 and 2 and maybe even 3. Then you bring the entire package to them, They have to match the entire contract, not just the prices. The leak is what it is, a leak, who knows how good the info is or is not. But it is simply the first bid from the first network. If it is true, and it was for all tiers, It sets the floor for bidding not the ceiling.
02-11-2013 11:03 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(02-11-2013 10:53 PM)WinOrLoseEAGLE Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 10:30 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  in regards to Brett McMurphy's article about the $20-$23 Million dollar "verbal offer"...

Why not just look for the logical....doesn't espn have right of first refusal? IF that is indeed true then espn would be given the terms of an offer by NBC to see if they wanted to match - after all, espn would have to see the deal in order to know if they would match. THEN, espn, with the offer in hand, dials extension 1234 and says "hey Murph, here's the numbers - go ahead and tweet 'em".

This makes much more sense than a conspiracy. It's not nearly as fun though it's much more likely.

Pretty sure they only have the option to match an accepted offer, not a "verbal offer" so there's no reason they would be given terms of an offer that the Big East has not yet accepted.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 11:10 PM by b0ndsj0ns.)
02-11-2013 11:09 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

so was this really just a "silent verbal"
02-11-2013 11:12 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
The big issue is that ESPN isn't telling you the whole story. I wouldn't be shocked if the NBC offer is the opening bid for Tier 1 rights, which includes Saturday football and good amount of basketball inventory. Remember the article from Daniels stated Aresco wants to continue a relationship with ESPN. My gut feeling is that there is tier 2 money that includes weeknight football on ESPN plus ESPN U basketball rights. Lastly I wanted be shocked if ESPN picks the regional tier 3 rights pushing the total value closer to 5 or 6 million dollars. Yes, I can see tier 1 valued at 2 to 3 million but I can also see the rest of the contract earn the same amount.

Fox might be involved too.

Aresco comments about being treated as 6th best league also leads me to think that the deal will be worth more than the Mountain West and the C7.

Even without Cincinnati or UConn this conference should still make more than the C7 and the Mountain West so realignment fears shouldn't be that big of an issue.
02-11-2013 11:21 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

Remember, the C7 reportedly approached Memphis recently about joining the C7, with Memphis telling them "NO".

[Image: tumblr_inline_mftorr6sYh1qaqk32.gif]
02-11-2013 11:42 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Well, Navy Times says NBE was offered $20 million and its not enough for Navy to join in 2015. All militaty people know Navy Times is a reliable source. 07-coffee3
02-11-2013 11:46 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(02-11-2013 11:46 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Well, Navy Times says NBE was offered $20 million and its not enough for Navy to join in 2015. All militaty people know Navy Times is a reliable source. 07-coffee3

03-lmfao Don't know much about the Armed Forces newspapers do you?
02-12-2013 02:25 AM
Advertisement

DrBox Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2013 11:09 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Pretty sure they only have the option to match an accepted offer, not a "verbal offer" so there's no reason they would be given terms of an offer that the Big East has not yet accepted.

Correct. Otherwise, NBC could offer fifty cents, and ESPN could match that and that would be that. They can match an accepted offer.
02-12-2013 03:12 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(02-11-2013 11:42 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Remember, the C7 reportedly approached Memphis recently about joining the C7, with Memphis telling them "NO".

[Image: tumblr_inline_mftorr6sYh1qaqk32.gif]

unless of course this memphis to the c7 story was "LEAKED" by someone in the nbe to cause instability in the c7 and cast doubts in their potential additions such as creighton and xavier! 03-idea
02-12-2013 09:38 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Well someone leaked it to McMurphy and it probably wasn't a big east source, but someone who had a vested interest in devaluing the BE
02-12-2013 09:52 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(02-11-2013 11:21 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  The big issue is that ESPN isn't telling you the whole story. I wouldn't be shocked if the NBC offer is the opening bid for Tier 1 rights, which includes Saturday football and good amount of basketball inventory. Remember the article from Daniels stated Aresco wants to continue a relationship with ESPN. My gut feeling is that there is tier 2 money that includes weeknight football on ESPN plus ESPN U basketball rights. Lastly I wanted be shocked if ESPN picks the regional tier 3 rights pushing the total value closer to 5 or 6 million dollars. Yes, I can see tier 1 valued at 2 to 3 million but I can also see the rest of the contract earn the same amount.

Fox might be involved too.

Aresco comments about being treated as 6th best league also leads me to think that the deal will be worth more than the Mountain West and the C7.

Even without Cincinnati or UConn this conference should still make more than the C7 and the Mountain West so realignment fears shouldn't be that big of an issue.
The NBC offer includes both tier one and tier 2. Tier 3 rights will not be worth more than tier 1 and 2 together.

Aresco may have wanted to deal with more than one, but that does of man he recieved said offer. Big difference.
02-12-2013 09:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.