Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Memphis to C-7?
Bookmark and Share
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
[split] Memphis to C-7?
(02-10-2013 08:52 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  In the "this better not be true" file:

I heard last week that someone representing the C-7 schools approached somebody at Memphis to gauge if that school had interest in joining their league. (The answer, I was told, was a quick "no.") Both sides of that make sense. Why shouldn't the C-7 try to put together the best basketball league it can? But Memphis also knows that football is ultimately the biggest moneymaker, and staying with Temple and others is the obvious play.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...hythm.html

Not sure why that would be a surprise. And, now with the numbers leaked, if true, does Memphis revisit? I mean, a league with C7, Memphis(fb to sun belt), Temple(fb to MAC), Butler, Xavier, and 1 more school- that's got power. Still no to Cincy/UConn- as they are too much of a flight risk.
02-10-2013 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: [split] Memphis to C-7?
(02-10-2013 03:46 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 08:52 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  In the "this better not be true" file:

I heard last week that someone representing the C-7 schools approached somebody at Memphis to gauge if that school had interest in joining their league. (The answer, I was told, was a quick "no.") Both sides of that make sense. Why shouldn't the C-7 try to put together the best basketball league it can? But Memphis also knows that football is ultimately the biggest moneymaker, and staying with Temple and others is the obvious play.

Not sure why that would be a surprise. And, now with the numbers leaked, if true, does Memphis revisit? I mean, a league with C7, Memphis(fb to sun belt), Temple(fb to MAC), Butler, Xavier, and 1 more school- that's got power. Still no to Cincy/UConn- as they are too much of a flight risk.

IT would be a surprise because it kind of stands expectations on their heads.

If we are the Big East, you'd think that OG UConn and Cincy with 7-8 years in the league would get in before FBS noobs Memphis and Temple. Especially Temple, who shares a city with Philadelphia.

Memphis' basketball resume is comparable to UConn's, but they have no history with us to speak of. (Sorry, Marquette and Depaul, I know this is east-coast centric.) And any FBS football-only is vulnerable to pressure from their football league to join for all-sports or be forced into independence.

I think UConn would be better positioned to resist MAC or MWC pressure than MEmphis would.
02-10-2013 04:15 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Memphis though fits in a lot of ways NBA arena Urban City.

the flight risk for UConn/Cincy MUCH greater than Memphis and Temple....

If the MWC wanted Memphis, they would have already had them quite frankly.... MAC makes peanuts so not a threat.
02-10-2013 04:18 PM
vu97 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: villanova
Villanova had Temple forced down their throat once - it won't happen again
02-10-2013 04:24 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
No FBS schools
02-10-2013 04:27 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
(02-10-2013 04:18 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Memphis though fits in a lot of ways NBA arena Urban City.
TN also boasts two top-10 NASCAR markets in Knoxville and Nashville....

If true, it would make sense that Fox wanted to sniff around the idea, but it would also make sense if neither of side (neither Memphis nor the C7) were interested. Maybe the ask was just pro-forma box-ticking?
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 04:42 PM by thegalen.)
02-10-2013 04:29 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online

(02-10-2013 04:18 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Memphis though fits in a lot of ways NBA arena Urban City.

Sure. They would have made a ton of sense...in 2005. Some things have happened since then.

Quote:the flight risk for UConn/Cincy MUCH greater than Memphis and Temple....

If the MWC wanted Memphis, they would have already had them quite frankly.... MAC makes peanuts so not a threat.

The same issues that make UConn to the C7 unlikely--too much investment in the football program to risk an Idaho situation--also apply to Memphis.

And Memphis can't point to 30 years in the Big East, regular season championships, Big East Tournament championships, and national championships that have "Big East" stamped on them.

UConn is an ex-lover that you make allowances for, maybe against your better judgement. Memphis is a new fling with the same character flaws but without the same emotional connection.
02-10-2013 04:37 PM
Burrito Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Hoyas
Memphis has football and a history with the CUSA schools now entering the NBE. It's going to stay with them. I don't even believe the story "Somebody from the C7 approached somebody from Memphis". Sounds like somebody started a rumor instead.
02-10-2013 04:55 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
I would be cool with this scenerio. I would pass on Temple because that's NOVA territory. But imagine if Butler, X, Memphis, Creighton and whoever. If not them then UC or UCONN under the terms that they drop their football program.
02-10-2013 05:08 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(02-10-2013 05:08 PM)ivet Wrote:  I would be cool with this scenerio. I would pass on Temple because that's NOVA territory. But imagine if Butler, X, Memphis, Creighton and whoever. If not them then UC or UCONN under the terms that they drop their football program.

I am by no means a football fan, but why would UC, who is currently on a tear in football winning 10+ games 5 of 6 years, drop football? Unless, you were just being sarcastic?
02-10-2013 05:16 PM
johnbragg Online

(02-10-2013 05:16 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 05:08 PM)ivet Wrote:  I would be cool with this scenerio. I would pass on Temple because that's NOVA territory. But imagine if Butler, X, Memphis, Creighton and whoever. If not them then UC or UCONN under the terms that they drop their football program.

I am by no means a football fan, but why would UC, who is currently on a tear in football winning 10+ games 5 of 6 years, drop football? Unless, you were just being sarcastic?

I think that's what it would take to convince most of us that you weren't a flight risk. I think people are considering Memphis because they have no credible power-conference dream scenarios, while you could be ACC-bound.
02-10-2013 05:20 PM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: [split] Memphis to C-7?
Memphis fan here. I have never heard any of these rumors. I'm no 'insider' but I am a long time message board participant, and there has been no discussion of this.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 05:35 PM by 72Tiger.)
02-10-2013 05:35 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

You are absolutely correct Bearcat and I'm not proposing that they drop their football program because it is developing quiet well. However, would your fanbase and your school be OK in making less money with regards to TV contracts than the C7? Is the NBE going to be worthwhile or will UC just wait it out until they get an invite from either the ACC, B1G or Big XII?
02-10-2013 05:39 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(02-10-2013 05:39 PM)ivet Wrote:  

You are absolutely correct Bearcat and I'm not proposing that they drop their football program because it is developing quiet well. However, would your fanbase and your school be OK in making less money with regards to TV contracts than the C7? Is the NBE going to be worthwhile or will UC just wait it out until they get an invite from either the ACC, B1G or Big XII?

Cincinnati will most likely remain in the BE while trying to build up our facilities and academics to make us ready whenever that call may come. I think the idea of splitting up sports is simply message board fodder.
02-10-2013 05:43 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

(02-10-2013 05:35 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  Memphis fan here. I have never heard any of these rumors. I'm no 'insider' but I am a long time message board participant, and there has been no discussion of this.

This has been mentioned before. MiddleTiger on the Big East Board mentioned it but it got lost in the 22 page nBE only worth $23m per year? thread on the BE board.

(02-10-2013 08:39 AM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  According to this article the C7 approached Memphis and we said no thanks.

I don't believe for a second we would turn down the C7 if their TV deal would be better than the nBE. I think the NBC offer may have been for hoops only.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 05:47 PM by ivet.)
02-10-2013 05:45 PM
Title Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Butler
The C7 would have to be epically stupid to entertain the thought of FBS schools after finally ridding themselves of that nonsense.

I don't know if I'm ready to believe that about the thought leaders at this point.

I'm calling bull****
02-10-2013 06:02 PM
Advertisement

monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
Memphis' program is a cesspool and so are its academics. Also... no FBS
02-10-2013 06:09 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(02-10-2013 06:02 PM)Title Wrote:  The C7 would have to be epically stupid to entertain the thought of FBS schools after finally ridding themselves of that nonsense.

I don't know if I'm ready to believe that about the thought leaders at this point.

I'm calling bull****

totally agree. Highly doubtful they called Memphis (or any FBS school)
02-10-2013 09:08 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
This is as likely as Emma Stone calling a 29 year old virgin living with his parents and asking him out and him saying no.
02-10-2013 09:28 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Just a thought, but if the C7 did go to Memphis, what does that mean for the expansion? Could mean they're not happy with some/all the options they currently have.

it is out of the blue, but a lot of the stuff we hear in expansion is out of the blue(see last week, UMKC going to the WAC as a prime example).

Also- the article mentions the battle for the name- and it is really close to what we saw on the thread that the ECU guy posted. Almost verbatim.
02-10-2013 10:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.