Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Belmont Bruin Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: .
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 11:27 PM by Belmont Bruin Fan.)
02-10-2013 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruinsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Belmont
RE: We'll be O.K. . . . a.k.a.: "Rebuilding year"
Starting Lineup:
PG-Reece Chamberlain SG-Craig Bradshaw SF-JJ Man PF/C- Blake Jenkins C/PF-Drew Windler

That is a great first five and I think it is possible that the Bradshaw, Laidig, Chowbay class may be the most talented ever (big statement I know - Ian, Kerron, Trevor, and Blake...just hopeful). However, for the 2013/14 season I'm just a little concerned about our depth and experience.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 09:30 AM by BruinsFan31.)
02-11-2013 09:22 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
When does your PG Johnson graduate ?

Seems like he's been there for 10 years.

To me, he is the catalyst for your team even more-so than Clark.
02-11-2013 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

Depth is a reasonable concern, especially because some freshman are going to be counted on to provide good minutes next year and we have no idea what to expect from them.

Experience, however shouldn't be much of a factor. Drew and Blake will both be 5th year seniors who have seen a lot of action (Windler not so much in the OVC, but certainly in the SoCon and against other quality opponents). Moreover, Reece will be an experienced junior running the show (he was preferred to Kerron at Murray in the final minutes), JJ will be a true senior scorer, and Bradshaw/Laidig/Chad have all seen minutes this year with Chad being in the program for 4 years.

Furthermore, we can't forget who runs the show - Rick Byrd. He is as experienced as they come.

With all that being said, I'm looking forward to watching these guys continue to play well THIS season!
02-11-2013 02:20 PM
Advertisement

BruinsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

No argument there. Rick is definitely the key to our success. And definitely focused on the current season which has been amazing thus far.

....But I am anxious to see our current freshman develop. Curious how Chobway will fit into the rotation and Byrd's system.
02-11-2013 03:00 PM
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

It won't be Chowbay's physical ability that hinders his playing time over the next 4 years. His athletic and basketball abilities are not in question, as far as I'm concerned... he's a heck of a ballplayer. He needs to fully maximize his time as a redshirt (easier said than done) in the weight room and at practice learning from the likes of Ian and Kerron and get himself prepared mentally for what it means to have Belmont on the front of your jersey.
02-11-2013 04:52 PM
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

We have 4 incoming too that may contribute to some depth as Bradshaw has this year. I have threads on each of the incoming freshmen with periodic updates on how they are doing. It seems like Nick Smith is lighting it up. He's a 6-8 power forward that can give us some depth inside. He's not only a great scorer, he has been a rebounding machine. Also, Evan Bradds is averaging over 20 points a game. He's a 6-6 small forward. Austin Luke is a point guard from Texas who is used to feeding the ball to D1 types. Two of his teammates signed with major D1 programs.
02-11-2013 07:55 PM
Advertisement

TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Jason Holwerda told me yesterday that Vandy blew a big opportunity with Bradshaw by putting all their emphasis in waiting on a Poythress decision which allowed Rick to sign Craig. He is gonna be a really good one before his career is over.
02-11-2013 09:13 PM
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

I absolutely love Craig's game. His willingness to use his athleticism on the defensive end of the court I believe is often times overlooked because of how well he has played on the offensive side (especially shooting the 3). He will be playing BIG minutes next year and I can't wait to see what type of player he becomes in the coming seasons.
02-11-2013 09:27 PM
Water Engineer

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 11:27 PM by Belmont Bruin Fan.)
02-11-2013 10:26 PM
Advertisement

Water Engineer

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 11:28 PM by Belmont Bruin Fan.)
02-11-2013 10:28 PM
Water Engineer

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 11:28 PM by Belmont Bruin Fan.)
02-11-2013 10:34 PM
B HURB Offline
Water Engineer

Losing Ian is going to hurt. I've been following BU basketball since 2005 (admittedly a short time compared to some of you) but he's the best player I've seen come through this program, especially from a leadership perspective. I'm optimistic about our new recruits and have no doubt Coach Byrd will build them up, but next year will most definitely be a rebuilding year.
02-12-2013 06:02 PM
Advertisement

T-W Offline
Water Engineer

If next year is "most definitely" a rebuilding year, how many wins do you expect? Can we be a 20 win club?

I don't want to take anything away from Kerron and Ian (they are unbelievable), but the offense is completed tailored to their strengths. Ian, especially, sees a touch a nearly every single possession, and rightfully so.

Next year, Byrd is going to have a team more capable of playing inside-out again and he'll coach to his team's strengths (again), which will likely be Windler (added 15 pounds to his playing weight from the previous year), Blake (another year of experience/incredible athlete), and JJ (who is capable of going off for 30 any given night).
02-13-2013 02:15 PM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-12-2013 06:02 PM)B HURB Wrote:  Losing Ian is going to hurt. I've been following BU basketball since 2005 (admittedly a short time compared to some of you) but he's the best player I've seen come through this program, especially from a leadership perspective. I'm optimistic about our new recruits and have no doubt Coach Byrd will build them up, but next year will most definitely be a rebuilding year.

Awesome shooter who plays great defense as well. We are lucky to have Ian.
02-13-2013 08:31 PM
B HURB Offline
Water Engineer

(02-13-2013 02:15 PM)T-W Wrote:  If next year is "most definitely" a rebuilding year, how many wins do you expect? Can we be a 20 win club?

I don't want to take anything away from Kerron and Ian (they are unbelievable), but the offense is completed tailored to their strengths. Ian, especially, sees a touch a nearly every single possession, and rightfully so.

Next year, Byrd is going to have a team more capable of playing inside-out again and he'll coach to his team's strengths (again), which will likely be Windler (added 15 pounds to his playing weight from the previous year), Blake (another year of experience/incredible athlete), and JJ (who is capable of going off for 30 any given night).

Replacing our two most productive players and the senior leadership they provided is not something that can be overcome the next year (imo). It will take time. Don't get me wrong, Coach Byrd is a mastermind at maximizing the potential of every one of his guys and will always play to his team's strengths. I don't think a 20-win season is out of the question, but I don't think we win the conference next year (heck...that isn't even a given this year). I would LOVE to be wrong and see a Belmont dynasty in the OVC.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 12:46 AM by B HURB.)
02-14-2013 12:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.