Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Advisory--stay off their board for at least 24 hours
Bookmark and Share
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Advisory--stay off their board for at least 24 hours
This can't be a happy day for them. Leave them alone.
02-09-2013 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
RE: Advisory--stay off their board for at least 24 hours
Who is they?
02-09-2013 10:05 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(02-09-2013 10:05 PM)LouPower Wrote:  Who is they?

FB big east
02-09-2013 10:06 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
I just want all this to end already and both parties go their separate ways. I hope to see the new basketball conference with 12 teams, with Butler, X and whoever else they want in.

It would be interesting to see if UConn and UC say screw it, drop their football down to the MAC and ask the Catholic 7 if they can come along. Not sure about UC and X though, maybe if this scenario plays out, Dayton would not get the invite. Would it be worth for both schools to keep their football program for $2 million?
02-09-2013 10:20 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(02-09-2013 10:20 PM)ivet Wrote:  I just want all this to end already and both parties go their separate ways. I hope to see the new basketball conference with 12 teams, with Butler, X and whoever else they want in.

It would be interesting to see if UConn and UC say screw it, drop their football down to the MAC and ask the Catholic 7 if they can come along. Not sure about UC and X though, maybe if this scenario plays out, Dayton would not get the invite. Would it be worth for both schools to keep their football program for $2 million?

I'd think if they thought it was short term enough, then yes it would be worth keeping their fb program for $2 million. If they thought they had no chance, they probably easily do what you're suggesting.
02-09-2013 10:23 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Every time that I believe that the capacity for denial can't get any greater over there, they set a new standard. The tinfoil hats are out in full force on the TV contract thread there.
02-09-2013 11:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline

(02-09-2013 11:55 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Every time that I believe that the capacity for denial can't get any greater over there, they set a new standard. The tinfoil hats are out in full force on the TV contract thread there.

Which is probably for the best--I expected them to be throwing chairs and jumping off of bridges, metaphorically.

I actually can't quite believe that they're accepting $25M from NBC-SN for the whole package.
02-10-2013 12:25 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-10-2013 12:25 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 11:55 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Every time that I believe that the capacity for denial can't get any greater over there, they set a new standard. The tinfoil hats are out in full force on the TV contract thread there.

Which is probably for the best--I expected them to be throwing chairs and jumping off of bridges, metaphorically.

I actually can't quite believe that they're accepting $25M from NBC-SN for the whole package.

It goes back to what I've told that group over there many times before: NBC/Comcast isn't just going to hand over gazillions of dollars as a charitable cause. The only way the Big East was going to get a great contract was a bidding war. Well, the problem is that ESPN obviously doesn't need the inventory. Meanwhile, Fox actually doesn't need football inventory, either. They're actually pretty well set for the fall with their MLB contract and Big 12/Pac-12 football slate. What they need is *winter* programming, which is why they're concentrating on the Catholic 7. So, NBC isn't going to bid against themselves - they can offer a cut rate amount because they're really the only ones with legit interest now.
02-10-2013 12:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ivet Offline
1st String

(02-10-2013 12:33 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 12:25 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Which is probably for the best--I expected them to be throwing chairs and jumping off of bridges, metaphorically.

It goes back to what I've told that group over there many times before: NBC/Comcast isn't just going to hand over gazillions of dollars as a charitable cause. The only way the Big East was going to get a great contract was a bidding war. Well, the problem is that ESPN obviously doesn't need the inventory. Meanwhile, Fox actually doesn't need football inventory, either. They're actually pretty well set for the fall with their MLB contract and Big 12/Pac-12 football slate. What they need is *winter* programming, which is why they're concentrating on the Catholic 7. So, NBC isn't going to bid against themselves - they can offer a cut rate amount because they're really the only ones with legit interest now.

Have you tried explaining that to them Frank? I've been told countless times that Football drives the bus. *beep beep*
02-10-2013 12:37 AM
johnbragg Offline

I thought Fox would still want their football and basketball for FoxSports2. Guess not.
02-10-2013 12:48 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-10-2013 12:48 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

I thought Fox would still want their football and basketball for FoxSports2. Guess not.

Fox already has Conference USA, so that can take care of a lot on Fox Sports 2 in terms of college sports filler. Plus, with Fox Soccer shutting down, they're probably going to shift a lot of international soccer over to Fox Sports 2, as well.
02-10-2013 12:56 AM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Nobody wants to watch Connecticut play SMU. That's the problem they have. The top football brand is Cincinnati, they have a decent football brand, but they're no where near a national level. Last season, the two Big East teams with the most nationally televised games were Syracuse and Pitt. Louisville was third. The ACC picked the three of them up.

In basketball they have a few great brands, the best being UConn. The problem is that after Connecticut, Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple, and maybe Houston, the brand power becomes extremely low.
02-10-2013 01:08 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Denial is not just a river in Egypt! 03-lmfao
02-10-2013 07:52 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
i still think there must be more $ coming their way. isnt there?
02-10-2013 09:38 AM
Title Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Butler
I doubt it. That football product is virtually worthless. What game in that inventory would ever get you to tune in as opposed to literally any match-up in the five power conferences?

They are in a bad spot.

BTW, I wouldn't even talk to Cincy and UConn without a 50mm buyout provision.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 11:17 AM by Title.)
02-10-2013 11:15 AM
Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M

I would argue the MWC hurts them by providing competitive alternative inventory. Had the league done the 8-8-8 model with 8 eastern schools to pair with the C-7 and an 8 team football only west that could have paired with the best basketball teams in the west they would have been in a more dominant position because the MWC would have been gutted. The C-7 would still be around because their 8 would have been with defections: UConn, Cinci, USF, Temple, Memphis, UCF, two of UMass, SMU, Houston. Butler could have been added to replace Notre Dame.
02-10-2013 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Sactowndog Offline
All American

(02-10-2013 01:08 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Nobody wants to watch Connecticut play SMU. That's the problem they have. The top football brand is Cincinnati, they have a decent football brand, but they're no where near a national level. Last season, the two Big East teams with the most nationally televised games were Syracuse and Pitt. Louisville was third. The ACC picked the three of them up.

In basketball they have a few great brands, the best being UConn. The problem is that after Connecticut, Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple, and maybe Houston, the brand power becomes extremely low.

The brand power is too low and the geographic base is too wide. They don't have a strong presence in any region making their narrative hard to define. Currently it is the leftovers which isn't an appealing narrative.
02-10-2013 11:25 AM
ivet Offline
1st String

(02-10-2013 11:25 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 01:08 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Nobody wants to watch Connecticut play SMU. That's the problem they have. The top football brand is Cincinnati, they have a decent football brand, but they're no where near a national level. Last season, the two Big East teams with the most nationally televised games were Syracuse and Pitt. Louisville was third. The ACC picked the three of them up.

The brand power is too low and the geographic base is too wide. They don't have a strong presence in any region making their narrative hard to define. Currently it is the leftovers which isn't an appealing narrative.

You should really move to the MidWest or East coast, you'll be surprised what these "weak" brands like UConn bring to the table.
02-10-2013 11:51 AM
Sactowndog Offline
All American

(02-10-2013 11:51 AM)ivet Wrote:  
(02-10-2013 11:25 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  

You should really move to the MidWest or East coast, you'll be surprised what these "weak" brands like UConn bring to the table.

Is UConn strong in Florida and Texas because they have four teams in those two states?
02-10-2013 12:06 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: RE: Advisory--stay off their board for at least 24 hours

Lots of truth to this unfortunately. Most of our inventory is just filler. Networks have lots of options for filler and there is just no reason to pay a premium for it.
02-10-2013 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.