Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greatest Buc of All Time
Bookmark and Share
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
Greatest Buc of All Time
Who is it? I always thought of Hal Morrison since he played baseball, football and basketball...and did them all with excellence. He also coached with excellence leading ETSU to national prominence in a sport he didn't play as a collegiate, golf. With Jack Vest Road being talked about...I looked him up. Wow. Just like Morrison...he played football, basketball and baseball. Also like Morrison, he coached only on the high school level.

Who else? The ETSU athletics Hall of Fame will give you clues.
02-09-2013 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
RE: Greatest Buc of All Time
Due to time constraints I won't, but someone could make a pretty strong case for Dave Walker.
02-09-2013 07:24 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

(02-09-2013 07:24 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Due to time constraints I won't, but someone could make a pretty strong case for Dave Walker.

Another candidate would be Mister....but Walker has longevity and cross country championship out the ear. I never forget Arthur DeRoiser installing a merit system for raises. I think Walker was the only one who liked it!
02-09-2013 07:32 PM
Advertisement

You're my boy blue! Offline
Bench Warmer

I know that he holds no major accomplishments during his time as a Buccaneer but Seth Coy's flame burned very bright during his stay at ETSU. I wish that all student athletes had his desire and enthusiasm for their school.

His dunks rank high up there for me... those were something that I will never forget.
02-09-2013 07:45 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

Its Mister.

Now the second greatest Buc of all time might be a fun debate, but the greatest Buc is Mister Jennings.
02-09-2013 10:40 PM
Advertisement

One Of The Last Buc Linemen Offline
Banned

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
if a list is being compiled, id add atlee hamaker. he may or may not be THE greatest buc of all time, but he should be up there,,,,,,,,,,,a 2 sport standout in both basketball and baseball, then enjoyed a standout pro career as an mlb pitcher in san fran

[Image: 16402.jpg]
02-10-2013 12:08 AM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

(02-10-2013 12:08 AM)One Of The Last Buc Linemen Wrote:  if a list is being compiled, id add atlee hamaker. he may or may not be THE greatest buc of all time, but he should be up there,,,,,,,,,,,a 2 sport standout in both basketball and baseball, then enjoyed a standout pro career as an mlb pitcher in san fran

[Image: 16402.jpg]

Hammaker was from my neck of the woods...suburbs of Washington, D.C. He was Sonny Smith's supersub. He was such a good basketball player, I was mad when Charlie Lodes and John Whited took him away for the baseball team. Turns out it was what was best for Atlee. Thinking about Lodes...I remember this quote from school president Art DeRosier..."I gave him an unlimited budget and he exceeded it." Lodes had ETSU in the top 20 of all of college baseball but he finally exceeded ETSU's support of him and was terminated. Whited took over but could never move the Bucs into baseball's elite level.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 07:22 AM by Mister Jennings.)
02-10-2013 07:20 AM
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2013 10:06 AM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  Who is it?

It really depends on how you define "greatest". I think Morrison might be greatest in some contexts, but Walker certainly would score highly, too.
Again, depending on how the definition would be written, it's not inconceivable that Jerry Robertson could be it. Defined another way, it could be about a tie between Ray Flynn and Mister Jennings.
02-11-2013 01:23 AM
72Grad Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Tennessee
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Skeeter Swift. Second round draft choice of the Milwaukee Bucks....by the way the first round pick that year was Kareem Abdul Jabar. His Junior year at State the Bucs beat Florida State then lost in the final 8 to Ohio State. If there was a 3 point goal in the 60s no telling how many points he would have scored.
02-11-2013 08:16 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I sorta think we've all *thought* of him, but I don't think by any measure he can be called "the greatest Buc of All Time", or even "greater" than Mister, although he certainly outweighed him (lol).
(And by the way, he was actually 3rd round (31st overall pick), also behind Bob Greacen, out of Rutgers.)
02-11-2013 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.