Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I too went back and watched the Orange Bowl
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
I too went back and watched the Orange Bowl
And it was nice to watch it after taking an emotional step back from it and be able to watch it with a clearer head.

First of all, I think people are giving the offensive line way too much slack for their effort. Not only was that a team that may be the most talented team in the country, but it was a game plan by FSU geared to stop the run. They weren't necessarily blitzing a lot, but there were a lot of guys around the line of scrimmage. Lynch and the WR's had a lot of one on one looks that they just didn't take advantage of. That wasn't all on Lynch either. The WRs didn't win a lot, but Lynch also missed some throws in a game like that he just couldn't afford to miss.

I understand Akeem was hurting, but if I have one complaint from Carey about that game, I really, really wish he would have given him the ball more. I'll cut him some slack because Akeem was the only real back we had and he was hurt, but FSU's game plan was geared to stop Lynch and with the comments Lynch made leading up you know FSU's mentality was to totally stop Lynch. Especially with the matchup problems Akeem can create (see him beating Christian Jones down the sideline), I really wish he would have gotten the ball more. I was saying that all year, though. With that being said that's obviously not why we lost.

I think if you're looking for a "woah FSU is 10x more talented than any team we played" moment, it came early on. There was like a 3rd and 4 or 5 in the first quarter when Lynch took off and Jones ran him down and one of their DBs came and cleaned it up and gave Lynch a good whack and stopped him short of a first down. If that's a MAC game Lynch runs right by Jones and probably makes the DB miss in the open field and it's a big game. That's where talent showed up.

How impressive was Tommy Lee? He looked right at home playing in Florida against a Florida team. I'll tell you, watching him against FSU and I couldn't help but get excited about him and Charlie Miller being on the field together next year. I think Charlie is pretty much a bigger, taller, Tommy. They are going to give people fits next year, especially playing in this offense. It's going to be fun to watch.

It was weird, towards the end of the 2nd half the offense didn't score but it looked like they had started to settle in a bit. Millen even mentioned it. Then obviously the start of the 2nd half happened and rewatching it I was almost anticipating the offense to just keep going. You want to say it was a terrible decision by Lynch (and it was) but literally the third down before he picked it up on a similar throw to Tommy. Live by the sword, die by the sword I suppose. Then we went 3 and out and FSU went and scored to make it 24-10, but we were on the move against before Brown's fumble which was the dagger.

I expect the offense to play really well against Iowa in the opener next year, especially #6.

The defense played their asses off. It kind of got away from them in the 2nd half a bit because I think they were tired, but they played well enough to win that game. I think the game plan went exactly how they wanted to. Play soft, try to force Florida State into third and medium's, and then get off the field. If you look at the first half, Pryor's long TD was because of a God awful angle by Stone otherwise that's like a 10 yard run. Then the TD catch was just a hell of a play by their WR. The defensive line was great, but they weren't really dominated either. They had their moments, particularly against the run. I'm really happy Niemann is coming back next year. Yes, we lose some guys but I feel like with the experience and depth our defense will be good again.

Finally, I'm not sure how anybody could watch that game and not be happy with Carey. He out coached Fisher. He just did. He's a smart football coach. We're in good hands. Now, if we can just get him to work on his post game press conferences, but if that's the biggest worry I think we'll be okay.

As you all know, the Orange Bowl left a really sour taste in my mouth. Finally going back and watching it was a nice reminder that we have a really damn good team to be proud of. It's going to be a long wait until September.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 01:53 AM by 7.)
02-05-2013 01:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

RE: I too went back and watched the Orange Bowl
I pretty much agree with all of this. We re-watched it last week and on that INT, I watched it 4 or 5 times. JL was trying to scramble as nobody got separation right away. Then it was clear that Wells broke off and the ball was a tad late and Wells stopped instead of continuing to make his way back to the ball and got outplayed by the defender. I'd say it is only partially JL's fault, Wells has to come back more. The D played excellent, I think they may struggle early next year but come together as one of the better MAC D's, they will do enough to get the two BigTen W's.I also agree with Carey outcoaching Fisher. He was ballsy that game and in that game he had to be. It will be interesting to see next year if they can continue to make 2nd half adjustments like last year's staff and I think they will since Niemann and Carey were the OC and DC. I really think they come back with even more fire and focus than the year after losing to Miami in the MACC. I don't know if they will go 12-0 and a MACC appearance but they have the opportunity to. I think with JL coming back and a determined team, it's a strong possibility we have 4 straight double digit win seasons and we start to garner the respect we deserve.
02-05-2013 09:19 AM
niufb83 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-05-2013 01:31 AM)7 Wrote:  And it was nice to watch it after taking an emotional step back from it and be able to watch it with a clearer head.

First of all, I think people are giving the offensive line way too much slack for their effort. Not only was that a team that may be the most talented team in the country, but it was a game plan by FSU geared to stop the run. They weren't necessarily blitzing a lot, but there were a lot of guys around the line of scrimmage. Lynch and the WR's had a lot of one on one looks that they just didn't take advantage of. That wasn't all on Lynch either. The WRs didn't win a lot, but Lynch also missed some throws in a game like that he just couldn't afford to miss.

I understand Akeem was hurting, but if I have one complaint from Carey about that game, I really, really wish he would have given him the ball more. I'll cut him some slack because Akeem was the only real back we had and he was hurt, but FSU's game plan was geared to stop Lynch and with the comments Lynch made leading up you know FSU's mentality was to totally stop Lynch. Especially with the matchup problems Akeem can create (see him beating Christian Jones down the sideline), I really wish he would have gotten the ball more. I was saying that all year, though. With that being said that's obviously not why we lost.

I think if you're looking for a "woah FSU is 10x more talented than any team we played" moment, it came early on. There was like a 3rd and 4 or 5 in the first quarter when Lynch took off and Jones ran him down and one of their DBs came and cleaned it up and gave Lynch a good whack and stopped him short of a first down. If that's a MAC game Lynch runs right by Jones and probably makes the DB miss in the open field and it's a big game. That's where talent showed up.

How impressive was Tommy Lee? He looked right at home playing in Florida against a Florida team. I'll tell you, watching him against FSU and I couldn't help but get excited about him and Charlie Miller being on the field together next year. I think Charlie is pretty much a bigger, taller, Tommy. They are going to give people fits next year, especially playing in this offense. It's going to be fun to watch.

It was weird, towards the end of the 2nd half the offense didn't score but it looked like they had started to settle in a bit. Millen even mentioned it. Then obviously the start of the 2nd half happened and rewatching it I was almost anticipating the offense to just keep going. You want to say it was a terrible decision by Lynch (and it was) but literally the third down before he picked it up on a similar throw to Tommy. Live by the sword, die by the sword I suppose. Then we went 3 and out and FSU went and scored to make it 24-10, but we were on the move against before Brown's fumble which was the dagger.

I expect the offense to play really well against Iowa in the opener next year, especially #6.

The defense played their asses off. It kind of got away from them in the 2nd half a bit because I think they were tired, but they played well enough to win that game. I think the game plan went exactly how they wanted to. Play soft, try to force Florida State into third and medium's, and then get off the field. If you look at the first half, Pryor's long TD was because of a God awful angle by Stone otherwise that's like a 10 yard run. Then the TD catch was just a hell of a play by their WR. The defensive line was great, but they weren't really dominated either. They had their moments, particularly against the run. I'm really happy Niemann is coming back next year. Yes, we lose some guys but I feel like with the experience and depth our defense will be good again.

Finally, I'm not sure how anybody could watch that game and not be happy with Carey. He out coached Fisher. He just did. He's a smart football coach. We're in good hands. Now, if we can just get him to work on his post game press conferences, but if that's the biggest worry I think we'll be okay.

As you all know, the Orange Bowl left a really sour taste in my mouth. Finally going back and watching it was a nice reminder that we have a really damn good team to be proud of. It's going to be a long wait until September.

Did you notice how well we travelled to Miami after re-watching the game? Regardless of your opinion son where people or how people got their tickets, you had to be impressed by the red on the television set . I watched the game last week again and was just in awe of how many NIU folks were actually in attendance.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 09:25 AM by niufb83.)
02-05-2013 09:25 AM
huskie2379 Offline
Special Teams

I was at the game and when I was walking around that stadium it sure seemed like there was more NIU fans than FSU fans. any thoughts!!

Let me tell you that it was pretty neat to see NIU and the support they gave to NIU! I was talking to some fans around us and the were from all over the country and said they would try and come out for some games at HS in the future! Again pretty heart warming to hear that people will come to DeKalb from far away and we cant even get students to come to the game!!! This needs to chance and we need sell outs at Huskies Stadium!!
02-05-2013 10:05 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(02-05-2013 01:31 AM)7 Wrote:  And it was nice to watch it after taking an emotional step back from it and be able to watch it with a clearer head.

+1, but I think you can add Akeem into that sentence as well. Between JL and Akeem in the Iowa game next season they will be tough to beat....as long as our D doesn't **** themselves stopping Iowa's run game.

The Iowa game this season we were very one dimensional with just getting a feel for how JL would be. I have a feeling with those two in the backfield next season it will be pick your poison. Akeem catching balls out of the backfield is a play I hope/must see a lot next year.
02-05-2013 10:24 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I've said it before but....

I love Akeem.... I just don't think he's the true between the tackles/game breaker RB we need.

His biggest plays are "in space". Ex: The "wheel route" pass play executed in the OB for big yards.

Repeat. I love Akeem and think he warrants getting about 10 touches a game.
02-05-2013 10:41 AM
Advertisement

JB04 Offline
1st String

Good post NIUfb83...I wasn't going to say it to bring up an old thread, but I too rewatched the OB and there is NO way you can be upset with our crowd. Uh oh....we opened that convo up again....

Anyhow, We showed up. Just rewatch the video.

Regarding our play...there were moments I thought we could pull it off. The coaching was good (though a little too much Lynch up the middle), the defense did all we could have hoped for and gave us the opportunity to win, and overall an experience to enjoy!
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 11:10 AM by JB04.)
02-05-2013 11:08 AM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
It is way too long to September 2013 for me.... *SIGH* 03-weeping
02-05-2013 11:50 AM
Turner4Heisman Offline
1st String

If you understand that Akeem is hurting how can you expect him to get the ball more?
02-05-2013 12:42 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

He seemed to be fine when he did touch the ball.
02-05-2013 12:47 PM
Turner4Heisman Offline
1st String

I would have to attribute that to being used sparingly. Maybe he doesnt make that wheel route if he runs the ball 6-8 times before that.

Unless he pulled a Cutler....haha
02-05-2013 12:49 PM
Advertisement

NiuCoils Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES

Donators
(02-05-2013 10:05 AM)huskie2379 Wrote:  I was at the game and when I was walking around that stadium it sure seemed like there was more NIU fans than FSU fans. any thoughts!!

Let me tell you that it was pretty neat to see NIU and the support they gave to NIU! I was talking to some fans around us and the were from all over the country and said they would try and come out for some games at HS in the future! Again pretty heart warming to hear that people will come to DeKalb from far away and we cant even get students to come to the game!!! This needs to chance and we need sell outs at Huskies Stadium!!

I had to walk all the way around the concourse at halftime and take an elevator down to the Dolphins team store to use my free program voucher. I felt outnumbered 5 to 1, in fact I walked very briskly to get back to "our" section with minimal interaction. Even as I say that, I'm still more than satisfied with NIU's turnout, especially the cohesiveness of the student section.

The elevator stopped at one of the club levels on the way down and I heard an FSU fan complain to an OB rep that they'd "ruined the game" for him by inviting NIU. I'm still not sure if he meant we were too inferior to elicit excitement, or if he was embarrassed by how close the score was at the half. Either way I let it go because he looked like he could kill me with one arm and no other Huskies were around. The OB rep replied that they had no choice in the matter and that anyway, NIU was giving FSU "all they could handle."

One more observation is that anyone who walked the boardwalk at Miami Beach that weekend also would have been impressed with the Huskie presence, and not just at the team Hotel. My dad commented that South Beach was like DeKalb South.
02-05-2013 01:28 PM
huskie2379 Offline
Special Teams

We stayed in ft. lauderdale and saw aot of Huskies Fans! We had a flag up on the beach and people were talking about NIU and wished us luck against FSU! Also met some former Huskies players and Gators fans. My point is that NIU was getting some love and respect!
02-05-2013 01:38 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
(02-05-2013 01:28 PM)NiuCoils Wrote:  My dad commented that South Beach was like DeKalb South.

It was a blast on New Year's Eve day and night. Huskie fans all over. 04-cheers
02-05-2013 03:43 PM
zdsmith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Huskies Hawks
(02-05-2013 12:49 PM)Turner4Heisman Wrote:  I would have to attribute that to being used sparingly. Maybe he doesnt make that wheel route if he runs the ball 6-8 times before that.

Unless he pulled a Cutler....haha

That and adrenaline. I bet it was hurting the next day.

I ran my first 5k on a strained groin. I was so excited that I pushed through and hardly felt anything. The next day I could hardly move....and that was for the NIU homecoming 5k...
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 02:51 AM by zdsmith.)
02-06-2013 02:50 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Re: I too went back and watched the Orange Bowl
FSU was loaded. Kiper has their DE going as the 4th pick in the draft. He was noticeable but did not stick out much from the other players. Tommie Lee played huge, expecting big things next year from him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
02-06-2013 08:07 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-05-2013 12:47 PM)7 Wrote:  He seemed to be fine when he did touch the ball.

He looked slow once he caught that long pass. An FSU guy caught him in about 2 steps after running stride for stride with the defender most of the way downfield.
02-06-2013 10:06 AM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
(02-05-2013 11:50 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  It is way too long to September 2013 for me.... *SIGH* 03-weeping

You won't have to wait till september, opener is on Sat Aug 31
02-06-2013 11:05 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(02-06-2013 10:06 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

He looked slow once he caught that long pass. An FSU guy caught him in about 2 steps after running stride for stride with the defender most of the way downfield.
He got run down by a FLORIDA STATE defensive back after torching their linebacker. That's looking slow?
02-06-2013 11:38 AM
Turner4Heisman Offline
1st String

(02-06-2013 11:38 AM)7 Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 10:06 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

He got run down by a FLORIDA STATE defensive back after torching their linebacker. That's looking slow?

Clearly 7 is right as usual, and he should have run the ball 18-20 times. If only 7 was on the sidelines, or better yet the team doctor.

You dont think that if he was 100% the coaches would have used him more than they did after running for 100+ the previous couple of games? He was obviously not playing anywhere near 100%. If it did not come out that he was banged up I would agree with you, but to say you wanted more out of an injured player is stupid second guessing.

And while he played well coming into the bowl game he was not nearly the type of guy that would be used solely as a decoy.

End o subject
02-06-2013 12:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.