Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting take on the SoCon and who they might invite
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Interesting take on the SoCon and who they might invite
Check out this thread. Hadn't thought about that. Thoughts?

http://socon.boards.net/index.cgi?board=...thread=807
02-04-2013 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
RE: Interesting take on the SoCon and who they might invite
I actually think Chattanooga has a lot of what it takes to go FBS. Stadium (won't remind anyone of Neyland or the Rose Bowl, but it's large enough), market size (Top 100- similar to Columbia in fact), fan base, and the fact they are really the only game in town. Good basketball tradition could get someone interested.

I do not know what the university's mindset is, however, and haven't even begun to think about where they fit in academically.

Maybe Kim could shed some insights on this. She worked down there.
02-04-2013 04:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
This kind of stuff and the fact the Socon has lost their TV deal makes the OVC look better to me!!!!!!!!!!!
02-04-2013 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I don't know if I think the OVC looks better. I still just think of the OVC as the biggest "blah" conference there is.

And I know their RPI is 16 and all of that.

Question needs to be asked, though-

If the SoCon goes the private school route

And if the OVC says "Yeah, yeah. You had your chance! We'd like to now announce our newest member- Chattanooga!"

What do we do then?

Stay A-Sun and say "Thanks Dave?" and try independent or non-scholarship football?

Or does ETSU hold their nose and go Big South?

Tell you the truth, if you want to win in football right away . . .
02-04-2013 05:13 PM
You're my boy blue! Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
(02-04-2013 05:08 PM)bucfan1968 Wrote:  This kind of stuff and the fact the Socon has lost their TV deal makes the OVC look better to me!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, the OVC looks like the route to take. The instability of the SoCon and the emphasis towards private colleges makes them look like they will one day become the second coming of the A-Sun.

The things that attract me to the SoCon are UTC, AppState, and GSU. If App and GSU are out the door then I would consider the league to be less than desirable. If UTC ever goes then I would call the move to the SoCon an absolute mistake.

I'm beginning to think that the best option that ETSU has is to move to the OVC and hope that UTC follows suit. The OVC definitely has the upper hand when it comes to basketball and it makes a better geographical fit than the CAA.
02-04-2013 06:17 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

Perhaps the below article was posted in another thread. I known the Sun Belt map, that included App State and GA Southern, was posted here. Interesting speculation in this article about Davidson possibly joining the new Catholic 7 based basketball league. On the SoCon going private --- what would be their reason athletically? If they're trying to carve out some southern academic league, they're about thirty years too late. Hey Furman and friends, nobody cares about the academic thing when athletics is the issue. But, if the SoCon goes that route, could ETSU, UTC, and WCU end up in the eastern division of the OVC? Let the speculation roll on.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...w-members/
02-04-2013 06:27 PM
Advertisement

Bench Warmer

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...-7-future/
Quote:Who will be added?

The teams that will definitely be added to the mix are Xavier and Butler. Creighton and Dayton are the next two on the list, and should be considered near definite. (Dayton's biggest issue would be opposition from Xavier.)

That makes 11. From there, Saint Louis is a favorite for spot No. 12.

What makes the Billikens a strong candidate is their market, but it's important to remember that in this strain of realignment, markets shouldn't make a huge difference. Markets are critical for, say, the Big Ten, which has its own television channel, or the SEC, which is plotting one. The Catholic 7 have zero chance at having their own television channel. So they need programs like Dayton and Creighton with big arenas, rabid fan bases and winning traditions more than they do teams in big cities that command little attention.

Who else is in the running for slot No. 12? VCU has been bandied about, but they are neither private nor religious. They are light years ahead of Saint Louis as a program in terms of recent success and facilities infrastructure. VCU has proven through Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart that they are built to last.

Davidson is a sleeper option, as it's private but lacks a religious affiliation. Saint Joseph's could get a look, but they are unlikely because Villanova threw a fit when the Big East took Temple.
02-04-2013 07:02 PM
Bench Warmer

I don't see Davidson leaving the SoCon anytime soon but if their emphasis and desire to join a stronger basketball conference is really there then who knows. It would definitely be a strain on their travel budget but the switch to a basketball heavy conference could pay off.
02-04-2013 07:08 PM
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

OVC seems to be more stable than the SoCon at this point...to my understanding there is interest there in ETSU too....I think the OVC is the better choice
02-04-2013 07:27 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(02-04-2013 04:43 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Check out this thread. Hadn't thought about that. Thoughts?

This is actually what I was told several years ago from someone claiming to be in the know - that the private schools in the SoCon resented the large public schools and wanted them out. I was also told that this was actually the reason ETSU got kicked out, it was the opportunity the privates wanted to eliminate one of the state schools.
02-04-2013 08:16 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(02-04-2013 07:02 PM)Youre my boy blue! Wrote:  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...-7-future/
Quote:Who will be added?

The teams that will definitely be added to the mix are Xavier and Butler. Creighton and Dayton are the next two on the list, and should be considered near definite. (Dayton's biggest issue would be opposition from Xavier.)

That makes 11. From there, Saint Louis is a favorite for spot No. 12.

What makes the Billikens a strong candidate is their market, but it's important to remember that in this strain of realignment, markets shouldn't make a huge difference. Markets are critical for, say, the Big Ten, which has its own television channel, or the SEC, which is plotting one. The Catholic 7 have zero chance at having their own television channel. So they need programs like Dayton and Creighton with big arenas, rabid fan bases and winning traditions more than they do teams in big cities that command little attention.

Who else is in the running for slot No. 12? VCU has been bandied about, but they are neither private nor religious. They are light years ahead of Saint Louis as a program in terms of recent success and facilities infrastructure. VCU has proven through Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart that they are built to last.

Davidson is a sleeper option, as it's private but lacks a religious affiliation. Saint Joseph's could get a look, but they are unlikely because Villanova threw a fit when the Big East took Temple.

This is contrary to all other stories about the Catholic Seven league and the importance of a TV deal. TV market does matter to this league, that's their entire motivation for leaving. Supposedly the new Fox Sports network is offering something like $400 million for a 12 year deal, for a 12 team league. The catch is that the network launches this fall, which would change the timeline for the league. St Louis is a choice that makes sens here since they have good tradition, a good arena, a good TV market, and a natural travel partner for Butler (as they are in the A10 right now). I'd be surprised if Davidson fit with this new league because of the rest of their sports. They fund everything but basketball at a low level and would have difficulty in the Catholic league.
02-04-2013 08:21 PM
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2013 08:16 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  This is actually what I was told several years ago from someone claiming to be in the know - that the private schools in the SoCon resented the large public schools and wanted them out. I was also told that this was actually the reason ETSU got kicked out, it was the opportunity the privates wanted to eliminate one of the state schools.

Your first statement has some moderate to considerable amount of truth in it.
But for the 23rd time, ETSU did not get kicked out, they committed "conference-cide" by dropping football. stanton wanted them to have a vote on giving us a "waiver", but they (he and mullins) could tell that the support for that was absolutely not there, so they didn't even bother to ask for a vote.
02-04-2013 08:36 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(02-04-2013 08:16 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 04:43 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Check out this thread. Hadn't thought about that. Thoughts?

This is actually what I was told several years ago from someone claiming to be in the know - that the private schools in the SoCon resented the large public schools and wanted them out. I was also told that this was actually the reason ETSU got kicked out, it was the opportunity the privates wanted to eliminate one of the state schools.

Now we finally know the real reason ETSU was kicked out of the Southern Conference. It, of course, had nothing to do with Paul Stanton's arbitrary dropping of the football program and his completely inept, stupid, knuckle headed, disrespectful, arrogant, and incompetent handling of the matter with his SoCon contemporaries and the SoCon office officials. Man, I'm glad that's finally cleared up.
02-04-2013 08:39 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(02-04-2013 08:39 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 08:16 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  

Now we finally know the real reason ETSU was kicked out of the Southern Conference. It, of course, had nothing to do with Paul Stanton's arbitrary dropping of the football program and his completely inept, stupid, knuckle headed, disrespectful, arrogant, and incompetent handling of the matter with his SoCon contemporaries and the SoCon office officials. Man, I'm glad that's finally cleared up.
I don't like to start conspriacy theories,but do you think it's possible that the private schools had connections in ETSU and got Stanton hired.He dropped football,and they ejected us. I don't want to join the SoCon now, the OVC is a more reliable option.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 08:47 PM by etsuandpurdue3.)
02-04-2013 08:46 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

(02-04-2013 08:36 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 08:16 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  This is actually what I was told several years ago from someone claiming to be in the know - that the private schools in the SoCon resented the large public schools and wanted them out. I was also told that this was actually the reason ETSU got kicked out, it was the opportunity the privates wanted to eliminate one of the state schools.

Your first statement has some moderate to considerable amount of truth in it.
But for the 23rd time, ETSU did not get kicked out, they committed "conference-cide" by dropping football. stanton wanted them to have a vote on giving us a "waiver", but they (he and mullins) could tell that the support for that was absolutely not there, so they didn't even bother to ask for a vote.

Yep. And Mullins retired, too.
02-04-2013 09:10 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

How we were "kicked out" of the SoCon is like someone running for political office while having only two percent support in the polls ..... the candidate up and withdraws from the race a day before the election so that he does not lose the election. That was Stanton's strategy --- boy wasn't that clever and brilliant to make ETSU look so in control of its own athletic destiny?
02-04-2013 09:30 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2013 09:30 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  How we were "kicked out" of the SoCon is like someone running for political office while having only two percent support in the polls ..... the candidate up and withdraws from the race a day before the election so that he does not lose the election. That was Stanton's strategy --- boy wasn't that clever and brilliant to make ETSU look so in control of its own athletic destiny?

And is was the most damaging and embarrassing ten year period in ETSU history. It is about to be erased and not a minute too soon.
02-04-2013 09:35 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
The talk about the OVC inviting UTC and ETSU has me a bit perplexed. Why would the western teams in that conference, specifically Eastern Illinois, S Ill-Edwardsville, and SE Mo St, vote for ETSU? With ETSU and UTC, would non-Tennessee schools really want two more TN schoools, giving Tennessee Higher Ed effective control of the conference?

There are already 12 basketball schools in the conference, so why would they vote to go to 14 and limit even more any chance that a school gets in the dance? With Belmont in, it is already that much more difficult. Furthermore, everyone's cut of the NCAA money gets further reduced. There has to be an overriding benefit, like saving on travel costs by splitting into divisions. UTC makes some sense as travel partner for Jacksonville St, but JSU wants to go FBS. So why try to placate a travel problem when that school is openly discussing other options?

The OVC has 9 scholarship football schools. Ideally it should probably have 10, but Morehead St is non-scholarship. The two non-football schools in the OVC are about markets and recruiting: SIU-E is in St Louis suburbs while of course Belmont is in Nashville. If markets and recruiting are a desire, why wouldn't the OVC take Kennesaw St? It plans to start football and would be a jackpot for recruiting and is actually easier to get to for OVC schools via direct interstate than ETSU. The Cumberlands really cut off ETSU in way that isn't as much of a travel problem with UTC (straight shot from Nashville). The school that is begging to get into the OVC is DII North Alabama. While it is DII, its football program is strong and it's easy travel for almost all current OVC schools.

Why should the OVC do anything until it actually loses a school? Maybe Belmont could move on to greener pastures or Jacksonville St actually lucks out and gets an FBS offer (they are way down the Sun Belt's list). Both probably need to leave for ETSU to get a decent shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Valley_Conference
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 10:42 PM by NoDak.)
02-04-2013 10:40 PM
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Belmont
(02-04-2013 10:40 PM)NoDak Wrote:  The talk about the OVC inviting UTC and ETSU has me a bit perplexed. Why would the western teams in that conference, specifically Eastern Illinois, S Ill-Edwardsville, and SE Mo St, vote for ETSU? With ETSU and UTC, would non-Tennessee schools really want two more TN schoools, giving Tennessee Higher Ed effective control of the conference?

There are already 12 basketball schools in the conference, so why would they vote to go to 14 and limit even more any chance that a school gets in the dance? With Belmont in, it is already that much more difficult. Furthermore, everyone's cut of the NCAA money gets further reduced. There has to be an overriding benefit, like saving on travel costs by splitting into divisions. UTC makes some sense as travel partner for Jacksonville St, but JSU wants to go FBS. So why try to placate a travel problem when that school is openly discussing other options?

The OVC has 9 scholarship football schools. Ideally it should probably have 10, but Morehead St is non-scholarship. The two non-football schools in the OVC are about markets and recruiting: SIU-E is in St Louis suburbs while of course Belmont is in Nashville. If markets and recruiting are a desire, why wouldn't the OVC take Kennesaw St? It plans to start football and would be a jackpot for recruiting and is actually easier to get to for OVC schools via direct interstate than ETSU. The Cumberlands really cut off ETSU in way that isn't as much of a travel problem with UTC (straight shot from Nashville). The school that is begging to get into the OVC is DII North Alabama. While it is DII, its football program is strong and it's easy travel for almost all current OVC schools.

Why should the OVC do anything until it actually loses a school? Maybe Belmont could move on to greener pastures or Jacksonville St actually lucks out and gets an FBS offer (they are way down the Sun Belt's list). Both probably need to leave for ETSU to get a decent shot.

Good points, but one more possibility to add. Tennessee State is considering moving to the SWAC. They have been talking about it, but wanted to wait until the new president was settled in before taking up the issue. The new president is there, so anything can happen.
02-05-2013 07:57 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(02-05-2013 07:57 AM)Bruin2002 Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 10:40 PM)NoDak Wrote:  The talk about the OVC inviting UTC and ETSU has me a bit perplexed. Why would the western teams in that conference, specifically Eastern Illinois, S Ill-Edwardsville, and SE Mo St, vote for ETSU? With ETSU and UTC, would non-Tennessee schools really want two more TN schoools, giving Tennessee Higher Ed effective control of the conference?

Good points, but one more possibility to add. Tennessee State is considering moving to the SWAC. They have been talking about it, but wanted to wait until the new president was settled in before taking up the issue. The new president is there, so anything can happen.
For football attendance, could see TSU moving to the SWAC. But everything else would be a downgrade. Hasn't there been talk of a SWAC move for years?

Actually see the CAA as having more potential for ETSU than the OVC. The CAA may need all of ETSU, UTC, and Kennesaw St if James Madison and Delaware get FBS bids.
02-05-2013 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.