Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting Research on Athletic Spending
Bookmark and Share
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State
Interesting Research on Athletic Spending
Delta Cost Project recently released a study on the impact of athletic spending on college costs. DCP is doing a number of studies related to drivers of higher education cost at public unviersities. (Not all of their research focuses on athletics.)

Some interesting observations:
1. MAC Institutions report spending an average of $13,069 per year/per FTE student vs. $52,537 per year/per athlete. Spending ratio of 4 to 1 in favor of student athletes.

2. Other conferences, particularly BSC, spend far more on student athletes than the MAC; some up to a 9 to 1 ratio. Our problem is in the subsidies from MAC institutions. BCS conferences generate enough revenue to require less in institutional subsidies. Even though few BCS institutions can cover all costs through generated revenue, most do better with carrying their own weight. MAC institutions subsidize athletics in roughly the 70 - 80% range.

3. Athletic Department spending at DI institutions are rising at 2X the cost of academic spending.

4. The increased athletic spending is not reflected on increased spending per athlete. The biggest drivers are coaches' salaries (averaging one third of a D1 athletic budget) and facilities.

So, put this together. Joe Schmo faces another 5% tuition increase, but doesn't get more, because that money goes to athletics. But the athletes don't get more, because the subsidized money goes to the new head coach. Kind of a hard sell with the increasing pressure to reduce student cost for a higher education.

The report is here.
Atheltic Vs. Academic Spending: Who Wins?

These threads often degenerate into who likes/ hates sports. That's too bad because this is a very sticky problem every sports loving AD in the MAC deals with.

Maybe we should appreciate the MAC ADs who get the most while spending the least instead of the least while spending the most.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 03:01 PM by FlashFan.)
02-04-2013 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: Interesting Research on Athletic Spending
(02-04-2013 02:54 PM)FlashFan Wrote:  Maybe we should appreciate the MAC ADs who get the most while spending the least instead of the least while spending the most.

I think we've all been complimentary when MAC teams get acknowledged as being most fiscally responsible.

I just think too many do the same ol' same ol' instead of finding ways for improvement.

Nevertheless, MAC sports do seem to make an effort to keep things in perspective, far better than other Div I programs anyway.
02-06-2013 02:55 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
RE: Interesting Research on Athletic Spending
My preliminary off the top gauge of having things in perspective, is when the coaches salary is higher than the president of a university's salary, there is a problem of priorities. Of course this means that most of college athletics is sick.
02-06-2013 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.