Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

basketball question - would you rather....
Bookmark and Share
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

I Root For: Southern Miss
basketball question - would you rather....
Would you rather see your team make the ncaa tourny for 10 years strait only to be bounced out in the opening round every yeat or make the final four once & not make the tourny again for another 10 years?
02-04-2013 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
RE: basketball question - would you rather....
What is this NCAA tourny that you speak of? ECU does not understand your question.
02-04-2013 01:12 PM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
As an ECU fan, I would definitely rather see us make it 10yrs in a row even if that resulted in losing everytime in the first round. Making one miracle Final 4 run would make some serious news around here but if we fell of the planet for another decade it would just result in being a joke where as a consistent 10yr run to the tourney is more of what our fledgling BB program needs to finally elevate itself IMO. Our ACC neighbors would crap blue nickels if we became part of the NCAA Tourney discussion in NC for 10 straight years.
02-04-2013 01:18 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(02-04-2013 01:18 PM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  As an ECU fan, I would definitely rather see us make it 10yrs in a row even if that resulted in losing everytime in the first round. Making one miracle Final 4 run would make some serious news around here but if we fell of the planet for another decade it would just result in being a joke where as a consistent 10yr run to the tourney is more of what our fledgling BB program needs to finally elevate itself IMO. Our ACC neighbors would crap blue nickels if we became part of the NCAA Tourney discussion in NC for 10 straight years.

Just for a point of discussion, would 10 straight New Orleans Bowls be acceptable? After several consecutive bids and first round losses, that's what an annual bid will fee like. ....and I fully understand how attractive 10 straight bids sounds at this point.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 01:35 PM by oldtiger.)
02-04-2013 01:34 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

How about a sweet 16 and 5 bids over a 10 year period. Can I choose that?
02-04-2013 01:40 PM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2013 01:34 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 01:18 PM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  As an ECU fan, I would definitely rather see us make it 10yrs in a row even if that resulted in losing everytime in the first round. Making one miracle Final 4 run would make some serious news around here but if we fell of the planet for another decade it would just result in being a joke where as a consistent 10yr run to the tourney is more of what our fledgling BB program needs to finally elevate itself IMO. Our ACC neighbors would crap blue nickels if we became part of the NCAA Tourney discussion in NC for 10 straight years.

Just for a point of discussion, would 10 straight New Orleans Bowls be acceptable? After several consecutive bids and first round losses, that's what an annual bid will fee like. ....and I fully understand how attractive 10 straight bids sounds at this point.

Apples and Oranges as our FB team has a #9 Final ranking and Bowl wins over the Pac 10, ACC, Big 12 etc..plus beating ranked teams like #12 Miami, #8 WVU, etc..etc.. so no 10 straight New Orleans Bowls would not be fun for any ECU Football fan to watch.

Basketball has had such limited success that for me personally I would not mind watching 10 straight years of ECU making it to the NCAA Tournament and I think it would ultimately do more to elevate the BB program
02-04-2013 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Highflying49er Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Charlotte
So you're asking about the Charlotte 49er's 1977 Final Four run followed by years of mediocrity, or the 10 Years in CUSA 1.0?

We still talk about 77', but as a younger fan who experienced it, I think the frequency of NCAA appearances did more for the growth of the program and support, so I choose 10 Years of one and done - year 11 is a national championship!
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 01:55 PM by Highflying49er.)
02-04-2013 01:45 PM
goldeneagle21 Offline
2nd String

(02-04-2013 01:10 PM)eagleriffic Wrote:  Would you rather see your team make the ncaa tourny for 10 years strait only to be bounced out in the opening round every yeat or make the final four once & not make the tourny again for another 10 years?

Ten years of the tourney. Look at Houston - Phi Slamma Jamma...three years of greatness but Houston is completely irrelevant now. Consistent winning matters more for a programs legacy and if you are going to make the tourney ten straight years, logic would tell you that you would at least win a couple of tourney games in those ten years(unless, as an example, you are a SWAC team and get a 16 seed every year).
02-04-2013 01:49 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(02-04-2013 01:10 PM)eagleriffic Wrote:  Would you rather see your team make the ncaa tourny for 10 years strait only to be bounced out in the opening round every year or make the final four once & not make the tourny again for another 10 years?

I'd vote for the 10 years in a row... Shows consistency and appreciable success.
02-04-2013 01:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

If we get to knock off Duke and UNC on the way to our Final Four and not return to the Tournament for 10yrs then I change my answer....Hell Yes I would agree to that
02-04-2013 01:53 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2013 01:49 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 01:10 PM)eagleriffic Wrote:  Would you rather see your team make the ncaa tourny for 10 years strait only to be bounced out in the opening round every year or make the final four once & not make the tourny again for another 10 years?

I'd vote for the 10 years in a row... Shows consistency and appreciable success.

True, plus if you have the type of program that gets those kinds of bids your gonna win some games. example is our baseball program. 10 straight regionals. Win a few games then boom, you get on a run and end up in omaha. Best of both worlds.
02-04-2013 01:53 PM
Advertisement

HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
(02-04-2013 01:10 PM)eagleriffic Wrote:  Would you rather see your team make the ncaa tourny for 10 years strait only to be bounced out in the opening round every yeat or make the final four once & not make the tourny again for another 10 years?

As much as I'd like UAB to be the first team in the state to make a Final Four, I think I'd have to go with the sustained success. If you changed the question to winning a National Championship, then I'd switch my answer.
02-04-2013 02:04 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

doesnt uab have afinal 4 trip in the early bartow years?
02-04-2013 02:05 PM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
1 Elite Eight (Bartow)
2 Sweet Sixteens (Bartow and Anderson)
02-04-2013 02:07 PM
oldtiger Away

(02-04-2013 01:45 PM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  

Apples and Oranges as our FB team has a #9 Final ranking and Bowl wins over the Pac 10, ACC, Big 12 etc..plus beating ranked teams like #12 Miami, #8 WVU, etc..etc.. so no 10 straight New Orleans Bowls would not be fun for any ECU Football fan to watch.

Basketball has had such limited success that for me personally I would not mind watching 10 straight years of ECU making it to the NCAA Tournament and I think it would ultimately do more to elevate the BB program

Right. So, you can understand why a Memphis or even a UAB fan might have a different perspective.

Personally, football gets me much more turned on that basketball does, but I can guarantee that there are a large number of Tiger fans that don't see either of the above options as acceptable. We've got fans wanting to fire our current basketball coach if things don't change by next year.
02-04-2013 02:09 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
I'd take the 10 years of success. You're going to get some awesome teams in there, set yourself up to be talked about, people will know who you are, and you'll really have something to point to when recruiting/setting up for a run in year 11
02-04-2013 02:49 PM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
10 years, please.
02-04-2013 02:53 PM
oldtiger Away

(02-04-2013 02:49 PM)TribeNiner Wrote:  I'd take the 10 years of success. You're going to get some awesome teams in there, set yourself up to be talked about, people will know who you are, and you'll really have something to point to when recruiting/setting up for a run in year 11

Just to level out the discussion, as I read the question; the 10 years of success choice doesn't mention making a deep run in year 11 or even year 100.

10 years of moderate success followed by a deep run in year 11 beats 10 years of no success followed by a deep run every time. Common sense says that everyone would want that, if that choice existed; but it doesn't.

You're making a choice that doesn't exist.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 02:57 PM by oldtiger.)
02-04-2013 02:57 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports

I think you always say that after you've made the final four. however, if you are like ECU and haven't been there- I can see the point.
02-04-2013 03:00 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(02-04-2013 02:57 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 02:49 PM)TribeNiner Wrote:  I'd take the 10 years of success. You're going to get some awesome teams in there, set yourself up to be talked about, people will know who you are, and you'll really have something to point to when recruiting/setting up for a run in year 11

Just to level out the discussion, as I read the question; the 10 years of success choice doesn't mention making a deep run in year 11 or even year 100.

10 years of moderate success followed by a deep run in year 11 beats 10 years of no success followed by a deep run every time. Common sense says that everyone would want that, if that choice existed; but it doesn't.

You're making a choice that doesn't exist.

I was assuming we were talking about any 10-year period with the unknown being years 11+. I like where the ten years of sustained success has you sitting in year 11, compared to where the one deep run has you sitting in year 11. Since years 11+ are unknown, I would like to be set up as strongly as possible for that going forward; therefore, I would prefer the 10 years to the 1 year.

Now, if you're suggesting that there will never be any success in years 11+, then I'd rather have the one deep run, but that scenario wouldn't make any sense because then it would be a no-brainer.
02-04-2013 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.