Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MW in Negotiations with ESPN, Fox, and NBC.
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
MW in Negotiations with ESPN, Fox, and NBC.
One of the factors that was to help the nBE negotiate a better than expected deal was that we would be the only inventory available. However, the MW was able to renegotiate thier existing contract with CBS to allow them to regain the rights to much of thier Tier-2 inventory. This is now available on the open market and to a degree is eliminating one of the nBE's big negotiating advantages.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is saying that the Mountain West is in negotiations with NBC, Fox, and ESPN for these rights. The publication indicates that something should be known in the next 30 days (does that time table sound familiar?).

I cannot post a link, but a link to the story is available if you follow the link below. I cant post a direct link as it violates board policy.

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?s=b38e...opic=46012
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 12:25 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-31-2013 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: MW in Negotiations with ESPN, Fox, and NBC.
(01-31-2013 12:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  One of the factors that was to help the nBE negotiate a better than expected deal was that we would be the only inventory available. However, the MW was able to renegotiate thier existing contract with CBS to allow them to regain the rights to much of thier Tier-2 inventory. This is now available on the open market and to a degree is eliminating one of the nBE's big negotiating advantages.

TV is a reason - perhaps the reason - Boise State and San Diego State backed out of agreements to send their football teams to the Big East Conference and others sports to the Big West.

CBS agreed in late December to restructure its contract and allow the conference to sell game packages to two other networks. The Mountain West is in talks with ESPN, Fox and NBC.

"I think all three have shown an interest in Mountain West programming," Thompson said. "Whether we'll be able to reach an agreement or not, we'll see, but I think the conversations ... have been very sincere and, in some parts, detailed."

I cant post a link as it violates board policy.

He said he hoped to know "within the next 30 days at the latest" whether agreements will be in place with any of those networks.

Sparsely populated footprint. Not worried about the MWC.
01-31-2013 12:24 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
I would think the majority of those discussions are centered around Boise's home games. Remember that Boise is to be negotiated separately.
01-31-2013 12:46 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
shrug
01-31-2013 12:59 PM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
Good, let them play on Tuesday nights as ESPN filler. I'd prefer Saturdays on Fox, NBC, or CBS anyway.
01-31-2013 01:48 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(01-31-2013 12:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  One of the factors that was to help the nBE negotiate a better than expected deal was that we would be the only inventory available. However, the MW was able to renegotiate thier existing contract with CBS to allow them to regain the rights to much of thier Tier-2 inventory. This is now available on the open market and to a degree is eliminating one of the nBE's big negotiating advantages.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is saying that the Mountain West is in negotiations with NBC, Fox, and ESPN for these rights. The publication indicates that something should be known in the next 30 days (does that time table sound familiar?).

I cannot post a link, but a link to the story is available if you follow the link below. I cant post a direct link as it violates board policy.

Sorry, just don't really care.... 04-cheers
01-31-2013 02:27 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

[Image: Pawn-star-cool-story-bro.jpg]
01-31-2013 03:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-31-2013 03:12 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Wow. Its a slow news day. Just some information that could have an affect on our contract that I ran across that I thought was worth passing on. They appear to be negotiating with the exact same networks we are.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 03:52 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-31-2013 03:51 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(01-31-2013 03:12 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

[Image: th?id=H.5046303920620099&pid=15.1]
01-31-2013 03:59 PM
dakar1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wyo Cowboys
Let CUSA and MAC have the Tues and Weds games.
But seems to me the BE and MW could have some Thurs & Fri doubleheader games.
01-31-2013 04:18 PM
BlueGoldTU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The "TU" Tulsa
(01-31-2013 04:18 PM)dakar1 Wrote:  Let CUSA and MAC have the Tues and Weds games.
But seems to me the BE and MW could have some Thurs & Fri doubleheader games.

TROLL
01-31-2013 04:32 PM
Advertisement

GTG Offline
Banned

I Root For: no BCS
(01-31-2013 01:48 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Good, let them play on Tuesday nights as ESPN filler. I'd prefer Saturdays on Fox, NBC, or CBS anyway.

You mean CBSSN because that's where those nBE games will be shown. Not on CBS main. And FYI, some cable companies don't carry CBSSN. The deal might be more financially than what CUSA is getting now, but the TV viewing will be virtually the same. Oh but we'll have the internet to watch some streamed games. Yippee! 03-puke
01-31-2013 05:35 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-31-2013 05:35 PM)GTG Wrote:  
(01-31-2013 01:48 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Good, let them play on Tuesday nights as ESPN filler. I'd prefer Saturdays on Fox, NBC, or CBS anyway.

You mean CBSSN because that's where those nBE games will be shown. Not on CBS main. And FYI, some cable companies don't carry CBSSN. The deal might be more financially than what CUSA is getting now, but the TV viewing will be virtually the same. Oh but we'll have the internet to watch some streamed games. Yippee! 03-puke

Actually, thats where CUSA and the MW games are. The nBE is negotiating with Fox, ESPN, and NBC. CBS is in the picture on the one year bridge contract (likely just for basketball like they are now). Aresco has already made it clear that part of the "value" in the new contract will be realized as increased exposure. We are not going to be on CBS-Sports.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 05:58 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-31-2013 05:57 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
MWC will gain themselves a few more duckets. Good for them. It has little to no bearing on the BE.
01-31-2013 06:19 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina

[Image: 748]
01-31-2013 07:29 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
[Image: cm-29490-050938f1f39e78.gif]
02-01-2013 11:20 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
Saturday games mean more butts in the seats, better take at the gate, better atmosphere, etc. Weekday games suck, even Thursdays have lost their luster competing with the NFL Network game. Friday is high school's sacred ground and I'd prefer to leave it to them.

02-01-2013 11:37 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(02-01-2013 11:37 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Saturday games mean more butts in the seats, better take at the gate, better atmosphere, etc. Weekday games suck, even Thursdays have lost their luster competing with the NFL Network game. Friday is high school's sacred ground and I'd prefer to leave it to them.

Strangely, Wed night games would likley be the best. Horrible for home crowds--though our metro schools would be affected the least. Wed night offers a national stage, no real competition--no NFL. The high school recruits would be able to see us play. Yes, its awful from a competetive standpoint and the coaches will hate it, but given the current landscape--it may be the best night to place a package of games for maximum exposure. The two things I want most from the new contract is national exposure. A Wed night game on ESPN and a Saturday game on an over the air network like Fox, NBC, or CBS would make me happy. Put the rest on Fox Sports-1&2, NBC-Sports, or RSN's. I'd be alright with that even if our contract is only 3-4 million. Of course, I'd like it more if the contract was closer to 5-6 million.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 12:04 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-01-2013 12:00 PM
GTG Offline
Banned

I Root For: no BCS
(02-01-2013 12:00 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 11:37 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  Saturday games mean more butts in the seats, better take at the gate, better atmosphere, etc. Weekday games suck, even Thursdays have lost their luster competing with the NFL Network game. Friday is high school's sacred ground and I'd prefer to leave it to them.

Strangely, Wed night games would likley be the best. Horrible for home crowds--though our metro schools would be affected the least. Wed night offers a national stage, no real competition--no NFL. The high school recruits would be able to see us play. Yes, its awful from a competetive standpoint and the coaches will hate it, but given the current landscape--it may be the best night to place a package of games for maximum exposure. The two things I want most from the new contract is national exposure. A Wed night game on ESPN and a Saturday game on an over the air network like Fox, NBC, or CBS would make me happy. Put the rest on Fox Sports-1&2, NBC-Sports, or RSN's. I'd be alright with that even if our contract is only 3-4 million. Of course, I'd like it more if the contract was closer to 5-6 million.

Moonshiners comes on Wednesday nights. That's competition right there.
02-01-2013 12:56 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(02-01-2013 12:56 PM)GTG Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 12:00 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Moonshiners comes on Wednesday nights. That's competition right there.

I'll take my chances that the sister marrying demographic attracted to Moonshiners and Honey BoBo is fairly small.
02-01-2013 01:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.