Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

In-Blinking-Credible ... Conference Rights Fees to Televise Local Game
Bookmark and Share
TonyTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Memphis
In-Blinking-Credible ... Conference Rights Fees to Televise Local Game
I can't believe C-USA ... 03-banghead!!! I am so glad that we are on our way out of this conference. They wanna charge us $100,000 if we allow the local PBS TV station to televise a couple of conference games. What the heck is wrong with these guys? In-Blinkin-Credible ... 04-chairshot!!
01-30-2013 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: In-Blinking-Credible ... Conference Rights Fees to Televise Local Game
(01-30-2013 12:16 PM)TonyTiger Wrote:  I can't believe C-USA ... 03-banghead!!! I am so glad that we are on our way out of this conference. They wanna charge us $100,000 if we allow the local PBS TV station to televise a couple of conference games. What the heck is wrong with these guys? In-Blinkin-Credible ... 04-chairshot!!

What a crock. I hate C-USA's TV deal. I can never see Marshall play in basketball. I don't know what you Sun Belt newcomers are used to but prepared to never find your team on the dial aside from 6-7 games a year.
01-30-2013 12:21 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(01-30-2013 12:21 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 12:16 PM)TonyTiger Wrote:  I can't believe C-USA ... 03-banghead!!! I am so glad that we are on our way out of this conference. They wanna charge us $100,000 if we allow the local PBS TV station to televise a couple of conference games. What the heck is wrong with these guys? In-Blinkin-Credible ... 04-chairshot!!

What a crock. I hate C-USA's TV deal. I can never see Marshall play in basketball. I don't know what you Sun Belt newcomers are used to but prepared to never find your team on the dial aside from 6-7 games a year.

We have three on ESPN this year, another couple on CSS or FSS and then a bunch more on the ESPN3. Basically, it's usually a couple of nationally televised games and couple of regionally televised and then a lot of internet streams.

I'm not expecting more visibility in basketball. I think we'll get more in football (even though we've had more televised games than anyone else in the SBC), but most importantly we're looking forward to that extra $950K per year in revenue which means one less game against Florida or Alabama.

Does CBS contract out regional broadcasts similar to how ESPN does? I've noticed C-USA has several games broadcast on CSS.
01-30-2013 12:39 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
I saw a tweet the other day that said that we have about three tv partners and that they showed something like Five conference games from Jan 1 to Feb 3(scheduled). They were saying that it was no surprise that people gave us no respect because they could never see us and that our tv partners were awful for doing that.
01-30-2013 12:40 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

We need FOX or CBS to distribute a CUSA Network and produce everyones games so they can be shown locally or regionally when games aren't picked up nationally.

I get freaking MAC games produced by ESPN on my local channels, but can't watch C-USA unless it's picked up nationally by FOX or CBS Sports Network. And I'm on Suddenlink so only games involving Marshall on CSS get picked up by our local FOX affiliate.
01-30-2013 12:56 PM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

(01-30-2013 12:39 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

We have three on ESPN this year, another couple on CSS or FSS and then a bunch more on the ESPN3. Basically, it's usually a couple of nationally televised games and couple of regionally televised and then a lot of internet streams.

I'm not expecting more visibility in basketball. I think we'll get more in football (even though we've had more televised games than anyone else in the SBC), but most importantly we're looking forward to that extra $950K per year in revenue which means one less game against Florida or Alabama.

Does CBS contract out regional broadcasts similar to how ESPN does? I've noticed C-USA has several games broadcast on CSS.

CSS has the right to pick up games that aren't aired by FOX or CBS Sports Network. If one of those three don't get it you aren't watching your games.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 12:59 PM by MUsince96.)
01-30-2013 12:58 PM
BlueRaider0x0 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Middle Tenn.
That's the one thing I don't like about CUSA. I was able to watch all of MTs games last season on tv or the internet with ease.
01-30-2013 01:02 PM
eaglerock Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: myself

I was actually wondering about this the other day since Southern Miss has not been televised much except on CSS (which I do not get in Birmingham and a large portion of the gulf coast does not get). It seems to me if economics of producing the game are not too high a local distribution of games not picked up by partners would be an option to generate additional revenue and increase exposure locally. Obviously $100,000 for the pleasure of broadcasting a game no one else is showing is pretty much a deal breaker on making that happen. (Who came up with the economics that you should pay about 7% of your conference television distribution for unused inventory?) Some kind of clause needs to be inserted into the contract that reverts the rights of games not picked up back to the schools so they may seek alternate distribution.
01-30-2013 01:12 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
I thought this was basic knowledge. CUSA has the rights not the local affiliate, thus the local affiliate has to buy those rights away from the conference.

Then again I work in the music industry where stuff like buying rights and such is common.
01-30-2013 01:28 PM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
$110K seems out of line on the surface.

Just doing quick and dirty math, that would equate to each of our program being worth $800K for a basketball season's games, which is considerably more than we get for basketball alone. ($100K X 16 Games/2 teams participating)

Perhaps the conference prices individual, non-contracted TV rights at a premium to prevent networks from low-balling the contract and having independent carriers/local stations from cherry picking individual games at a discount.

As seems to be the case over the last decade, the fans that buy tickets, donate, attend games, etc, etc are the ones that aren't given as much consideration as we'd wish.

"We Play for You" - perhaps not.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 01:55 PM by oldtiger.)
01-30-2013 01:54 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
$100k per game? That does seem steep. CBS owns the rights though, so they can do with them as they please.
01-30-2013 02:08 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I'll never understand this conference's TV deal. smh.
01-30-2013 02:11 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU

That's about the same here. We'll see the big OOC games, an in state game, and some SBC games on ESPN2 or ESPN3. CSS comes in clutch sometimes, when we're lucky to get between the SEC swimming and the D2 football games.
Thankfully, sporting events at FAU are free for students, so I catch most of the season 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 03:12 PM by FAUAEPi.)
01-30-2013 03:09 PM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(01-30-2013 02:11 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I'll never understand this conference's TV deal. smh.

Heres' the worst feeling... in a season for a conference our size, there are approximately 250 basketball games in a season. (if my math was right).

Under ESPN: the contract was to show 10 basketball games a year. If my memory was right, ESPN's 10 games tended to include 10 Non-Conference games for Memphis and that was it.

CBS had the rights to pick whatever games after that they wanted. SO the ONLY place you were going to see anyone other than memphis was MAYBE one game a week (if CBS picked up the game say on a Saturday afternoon. College basketball on a Saturday afternoon is NOT going to draw a crowd.

Under Fox: I think the new contract is to show 20 games a year. So basically we went from 5% of our games on the airwaves to 10% of our games on the air.

It's plain and simple, even though the FOX contract was an improvement, it's still a disaster in regards to college basketball.

I don't see a problem with CBS (or FOX) selling the rights to the games, but 100K sure does seem awfully steep. And it does explain why nobody gets to "see" our schools in action.
01-30-2013 04:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

Guys, most all of them now are streamed thru first row sports dot com

its the same feed as if you paid for the cusa digital feed.

I watched the Southern miss games at smu and tulsa.
01-30-2013 04:55 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(01-30-2013 12:56 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I get freaking MAC games produced by ESPN on my local channels.

I'm sorry to hear that. Things must seem hopeless. The bleakness of MAC sports is incomprehensible to the mortal mind. I watched ten minutes of the 1995 Las Vegas Bowl and it was like staring into Satan's own rectum. My suggestion is to look for reasons to maintain your faith in humanity as much as you can. Have a drink and read something light. Talk to a priest, Rabbi, pastor, mullah, or witch if you're a man of faith. There is good in the universe... I promise.
01-30-2013 04:56 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Fortunately, there will be more competition coming soon.

Fox Sports 1 & 2 as well as NBC Sports will need content. I'm sure they'll all attempt to recreate ESPN3 as well.

Google is also looking to get into online sports streaming.
01-30-2013 05:03 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-30-2013 04:55 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Guys, most all of them now are streamed thru first row sports dot com

its the same feed as if you paid for the cusa digital feed.

I watched the Southern miss games at smu and tulsa.

to be more specificxxxxxxthefirstrow.euxxxxxxxxxx

....just make sure your sys is secure
01-30-2013 05:09 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-30-2013 04:13 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 02:11 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I'll never understand this conference's TV deal. smh.

Heres' the worst feeling... in a season for a conference our size, there are approximately 250 basketball games in a season. (if my math was right).

Under ESPN: the contract was to show 10 basketball games a year. If my memory was right, ESPN's 10 games tended to include 10 Non-Conference games for Memphis and that was it.

CBS had the rights to pick whatever games after that they wanted. SO the ONLY place you were going to see anyone other than memphis was MAYBE one game a week (if CBS picked up the game say on a Saturday afternoon. College basketball on a Saturday afternoon is NOT going to draw a crowd.

Under Fox: I think the new contract is to show 20 games a year. So basically we went from 5% of our games on the airwaves to 10% of our games on the air.

It's plain and simple, even though the FOX contract was an improvement, it's still a disaster in regards to college basketball.

I don't see a problem with CBS (or FOX) selling the rights to the games, but 100K sure does seem awfully steep. And it does explain why nobody gets to "see" our schools in action.

...for people that really like good college basketball, they have missed out on not seeing us play yet....maybe the end result will be 'cinderella-ish"...maybe a stretch, but damn we have a good, well-coached team that nobody has seen.
01-30-2013 05:13 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-30-2013 05:13 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 04:13 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

...for people that really like good college basketball, they have missed out on not seeing us play yet....maybe the end result will be 'cinderella-ish"...maybe a stretch, but damn we have a good, well-coached team that nobody has seen.

yep and those kinds of teams can always be dangerous in the tournament. Good luck to you the rest of the way.
01-31-2013 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.