ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pilot Article on '86-'87 Team
MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Pilot Article on '86-'87 Team
A nice article in today's Pilot about the -'86-'87 team (my first season following the program closely) and their horrendous season sandwiched between 2 strong seasons. I hope we are able to recover as well as that team did. AC Carver and Steve Trax could fill it up. Frank Smith was obviously a great floor general. Other fun players to watch. Does anyone know where Frank Smith landed after separating from Purnell after his departure from Clemson? Link:

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/monarchs...teams-pain
01-30-2013 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

RE: Pilot Article on '86-'87 Team
There is zero chance we are any better next year than we are this year if Blaine is still coaching.

And of course that article fails to mention how bad we'd truly be if we hadn't lucked into painter.

That 86-87 season was kind of a fluke as the result of coaching changes, players graduating and bad luck.

Blaine's crappy recruiting and player management has earned us every inch of this 2-17 season. Them trying to draw parallels between that season and this one is absurd.

Man the pilot is going guns blazing trying to defend Taylor at all costs. Wonder who Blaine has naked photos of?
01-30-2013 09:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: ODU, W&M
You know what sucks about this season in particular? Getting curb-stomped by the league on our way out & pretty much not being able to return the favor next season (or ever). I hate that we're providing this league some satisfaction this way. Just seems like it's extra painful because we won't atone for it in this league.
01-30-2013 01:40 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(01-30-2013 01:40 PM)odusteeler Wrote:  You know what sucks about this season in particular? Getting curb-stomped by the league on our way out & pretty much not being able to return the favor next season (or ever). I hate that we're providing this league some satisfaction this way. Just seems like it's extra painful because we won't atone for it in this league.

Frustrating indeed.

However all is not lost!
We are helping to bring down the conference RPI.

Thus we are helping to guarantee that the CAAT champion will get the lowest possible seed, and that there will be virtually no chance of of an at-large from the CAA.

Not necessarily "or ever"; as we could extract some revenge by being the team to take out the CAA rep in the NCAAT sometime in the future.
04-cheers
01-30-2013 01:49 PM
Advertisement

MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

I have no ill will towards the CAA and wish them well in the future. It was a pretty great league for ODU - good regional rivalries, easy travel for many opponents and it has provided some pretty solid BBall the last decade. It produced multiple CAA Bids on more than one occasion - and deserved even more for many of those seasons. Unbelievable how many close NCAA tourney victories CAA schools just missed - buzzer beaters - very close games for us and many other CAA teams. 2 Final 4 runs from a mid-major conference - pretty solid. We have more conference championships than any other school in the conference. We've got CAA rings and I'd rather have the CAA be strong than weak. As you guys said - hate to go out on these terms but I will look back at the CAA chapter of ODU's history with good memories overall. But the times are changing and I believe our move out of the CAA is best for ODU long-term.
01-30-2013 02:35 PM
Dominion Offline
Bench Warmer

Frank Smith is working for the NCAA in enforcement (focuses on basketball, particularly monitoring coaches)
01-30-2013 03:56 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(01-30-2013 02:35 PM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  I have no ill will towards the CAA and wish them well in the future. It was a pretty great league for ODU - good regional rivalries, easy travel for many opponents and it has provided some pretty solid BBall the last decade. It produced multiple CAA Bids on more than one occasion - and deserved even more for many of those seasons. Unbelievable how many close NCAA tourney victories CAA schools just missed - buzzer beaters - very close games for us and many other CAA teams. 2 Final 4 runs from a mid-major conference - pretty solid. We have more conference championships than any other school in the conference. We've got CAA rings and I'd rather have the CAA be strong than weak. As you guys said - hate to go out on these terms but I will look back at the CAA chapter of ODU's history with good memories overall. But the times are changing and I believe our move out of the CAA is best for ODU long-term.

I do have ill will toward the CAA.

Because:

At the time we announced our intentions to leave;, there were no rules or bylaws (still aren't in CAA football) regarding mandatory post season ineligibility for departing schools. Both just required a vote of the Council of Presidents.

The media reported that there were, and the CAA did nothing to correct that misconception; making ODU and Ga St look like entitled whiners who wanted exceptions.

Curiously, the AD's on both sides (CAA, CAA football) in fact voted to recommend to the COP to allow ODU (and Ga St) to be eligible for post season play.

The COP voted to ban Ga St and ODU on both conferences.

IMHO, the decisions by both CAA Councils Of Presidents was chicken sh** because the real losers were the student athletes; college kids, including those in the non revenue sports.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 04:38 PM by ODUalum78.)
01-30-2013 04:01 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Re: RE: Pilot Article on '86-'87 Team
(01-30-2013 04:01 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 02:35 PM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  I have no ill will towards the CAA and wish them well in the future. It was a pretty great league for ODU - good regional rivalries, easy travel for many opponents and it has provided some pretty solid BBall the last decade. It produced multiple CAA Bids on more than one occasion - and deserved even more for many of those seasons. Unbelievable how many close NCAA tourney victories CAA schools just missed - buzzer beaters - very close games for us and many other CAA teams. 2 Final 4 runs from a mid-major conference - pretty solid. We have more conference championships than any other school in the conference. We've got CAA rings and I'd rather have the CAA be strong than weak. As you guys said - hate to go out on these terms but I will look back at the CAA chapter of ODU's history with good memories overall. But the times are changing and I believe our move out of the CAA is best for ODU long-term.

I do have ill will toward the CAA.

Because:

At the time we announced our intentions to leave;, there were no rules or bylaws (still aren't in CAA football) regarding mandatory post season ineligibility for departing schools. Both just required a vote of the Council of Presidents.

The media reported that there were, and the CAA did nothing to correct that misconception; making ODU and Ga St look like entitled whiners who wanted exceptions.

Curiously, the AD's on both sides (CAA, CAA football) in fact voted to recommend to the COP to allow ODU (and Ga St) to be eligible for post season play.

The COP voted to ban Ga St and ODU on both conferences.

IMHO, the decisions by both CAA Councils Of Presidents was chicken sh** because the real losers were the student athletes; college kids, including those in the non revenue sports.

Well football controlled their destiny and this sorry excuse of a basketball team wasn't winning any games in the CAAT anyway
01-30-2013 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.