Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

At the halfway point...
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
At the halfway point...
So we've all played half of the conference schedule. Here are the current standings and records and my thoughts on how we'll finish.

Wichita State --- 8-1 ----- 19-2
Creighton ------- 7-2 ----- 18-3
Indiana State --- 6-3 ----- 13-7
Evansville ------- 5-4 ----- 12-9
Bradley --------- 4-5 ----- 12-9
Northern Iowa --- 4-5 ----- 11-10
Missouri State --- 4-5 ----- 6-15
Illinois State ----- 3-6 ----- 12-9
Drake ----------- 3-6 ----- 9-11
Southern Illinois - 1-8 ----- 8-12

First, the Trees need to pick up a win over Wichita and/or Creighton if they want to have a say in how this thing ends. Even if they do manage that, I don't see them crashing the party and they'll finish 3 or 4 games out of first. This is a two team race at the top and I think it'll be an exciting one that Wichita will win. Maybe I'm a homer, but this team still isn't at full strength and are just starting to work Carl Hall back in and figure everything out.

Creighton is still very dangerous and has a shot at the title. By far the best offense in the MVC and they have drastically improved their defense as compared to last year. And they definitely could win it all. I give the edge to WSU at about 52-48.

I do think ISUb will finish in third. They lack a little consistency but are dangerous and capable of beating the top two teams. They seem to be much more well rounded than Evansville who is basically the Colt Ryan show. With that said, I don't think Evansville finishes fourth.

Fourth is another race that could be intersting. Evansville is in the discussion, as is Bradley, UNI, ISU and Missouri State. ISU has been playing better of late, but they're still a mystery to me. Bradley doesn't have great depth, but they have great defense. UNI is well coached, but seem to be missing something. Missouri State has been playing better lately with their youngsters, but I don't think they can maintain that as we get towards the end. I'm going to say Bradley holds on for fourth, ISU slides into fifth, Evansville comes in sixth, UNI at seventh and MSU at eighth. This one could get interesting as there are five teams that could finish anywhere in this group and two of them will end up playing on Thursday in the Lou.

Drake finishes ninth and poor Barry Hinson and the "roster" he was stuck with comes in last. I expect them to be much improved in a couple of years though. Drake could have a new head coach next year.

So I see it as:

Wichita State
Creighton
Indiana State
Bradley
Illinois State
Evansville
UNI
Missouri State
Drake
Southern Illinois
01-28-2013 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TC4TC Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Northern Iowa
RE: At the halfway point...
I would agree at the top with Wichita and Creighton separating, though it is possible that ISUblue will stay with them. The Sycamores remind me a lot of the UNI teams of 3-4 years ago, no real 'star' players that jump at you but a lot of good players with one (Odum) that can make things happen and makes everyone arond him that much better. Just seem like a team that isn't an easy out and has enough discipline and weapons to cause people problem. After that, who knows. I agree, I don't think Evansville has enough inside, but I don't know if anyone else will challenge them. UNI has been too inconsistent, ISUred has dug a deep hole and is like UNI but they may have figured out their consistency. Bradley and Drake are interesting but I don't know if the talent (Bradley) or coaching (Drake) is enough to keep them off of Thursday. SIU and MSU seem destined for Thursday.
01-28-2013 12:12 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I don't disagree with anything you just said. There's a group of five teams that are hard to figure out. I gave Bradley a boost because of their D. Depth is an issue. Especially if Egolf is out for any length of time again. ISUr has talent and I think I have a hard time believing that a team with SR Carmichael can continue to be as bad as they began conference play. I had them pegged as a Top 3 team coming into the season but they've disappointed. Plenty of teams capable of winning games but a lot of inconsistency with those outside the top 3 or so.

I really do think the battle for 1st and the war for 4th will be interesting to follow over the next month or so.
01-28-2013 12:25 PM
Advertisement

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Talk about surprises.... WSU has lost three straight. CU gets taken out back and beaten. The Trees are in a tie for 2nd and only a game out of first. All three are still possible NCAA teams.

WSU needs to get its act together and start beating the weaker teams as it's gone from a projected 4/5 seed to a 7 seed and losing to another "bad" team could really hurt.

Trees are positioning themselves well and have a number of good wins, but also some bad losses that hurt. But if they're in the title picture, it helps their chances should they not win in STL.

CU is still in and will be in. But they haven't taken advantage of WSU's struggles and haven't created any space between first and second.
02-08-2013 12:21 PM
BirdFan 4Life Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illinois State
Your Welcome Wichita State Fans...unfortunately u have to come to RBA a week from Sun.

If you had been to Redbirdfan.net u would have seen some pretty ridiculous things being said about Muller and his coaching much of the Conf. year and the Bradley game. However, winners of 6 of their last 7 with the only loss coming to BU, Muller has the Birds playing much better team ball and defense. In that BU game Muller sat our PG J. Hill the last 3/4's of the game for getting a technical (ended the game with a season high 26 turnovers). Most of our fans were irrate to put it kindly. But I can almost guarantee we don't come back at Drake and now CU without it. The team is playing unbelievably disciplined in comparison and starting to gain some confidence. I think the current Top 3 teams are in for a battle for 1st (WSU, INSU, CU) while the Valley tourney could be real fun to watch with 4-6 good quality teams battling it out!
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 01:58 AM by BirdFan 4Life.)
02-10-2013 01:53 AM
Advertisement

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

You guys will be fine. I'm surprised you struggled so much early on, but the way you've been playing the past few weeks is what I expected from the 'Birds.

I'm actually now thinking that the Trees may have the best shot at winning as they appear to have the easiest schedule of the three. But it will be a hell of a ride to see who comes out on top.
02-11-2013 08:22 AM
BirdFan 4Life Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illinois State
Remaining schedule of Top 6 teams

T1WSU (9-4)
DU
@ILST
@INST
EU
@CU

T1 CU (9-4)
@UNI
@EU
SIU
@BU
WSU

T1 INST (9-4)
@MSU
@BU
WSU
DU
@EU

T4 EU (7-6)
@SIU
CU
ILST
@WSU
INST

T4 UNI (7-6)
CU
@DU
@MSU
@SIU
ILST

T6 ILST (6-7)
BU
WSU
@EU
MSU
@UNI

T6BU (6-7)
@ILSTU
INST
@DU
CU
@MSU

Predictions:
1.) CU (13-5)
2.) INST (13-5)
3.) WSU (12-6)
4.) ILST (10-8)
4.) UNI (10-8)
6.) EU (9-9)
7.) BU (8-10)
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 11:20 AM by BirdFan 4Life.)
02-12-2013 11:02 AM
Advertisement

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

WSU has three tough road games and a scrappy UE team at home. Luckily, they also stay home for BB.

CU has one tough road game (UNI) and two teams capable of being tough (UE/BU) and then host a difficult WSU. Also have to travel to CA for BB. That may or may not have an effect.

ISUb finishes at UE, semi-tough, and does host WSU one time. But outside of that, doesn't look all that taxing. Also stays home for BB. If they beat WSU, they win the conference outright. If not, who knows.

UE has a tough stretch and could honestly find themselves playing on Thursday if they struggle. Three very tough home games and a tough road game is a lot to ask of them.

UNI has two tough home games and their road schedule isn't killer. But they've also been very up and down.

ISU has one tough home game and a rivalry game and two semi-tough road games. They've been playing much better lately though and could find themselves in 4th or 5th when it's all said and done.

BU has two tough home games and a tough rivalry road game. If the pull out a couple they could still end up in 5th considering what UE and UNI have on the table and how that plays out. But I'm not that optimistic

I see the finish a little differntly:
1) WSU 13-5
1) ISUb 13-5
3) CU 12-6
4) UNI 11-7
5) ISU 10-8
6) UE 8-10
6) BU 8-10

Not sure how the tiebreakers would work out. Assuming WSU beats the Trees, it would go to OOC SOS for seeding and I believe WSU would win that but I haven't looked. And I'm not sure off the top of my head how the BU/UE series played out this year.
02-12-2013 11:26 AM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

Of course the Trees had to challenge my prediction by losing last night to the Bares. For a team with as many good wins as the Trees have, they have just as many head scratching losses this year. And because of that, their at-large dreams are probably squashed with their most recent loss. Good news for them is they're capable of winning in the Lou.
02-13-2013 03:23 PM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
I think they knock out whoever doesnt win the conference if they win in the Lou. Be it Wichita State or Creighton, both need to make it to the finals against each other to endure they can get in.
02-17-2013 06:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.