UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Prospects of an ocs yielded 13 ***...
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB_ASDD
Prospects of an ocs yielded 13 ***...
No prospects of an ocs and we have 2 *** commitments. Correlation or causation, I don't know, but man it's hard to keep a positive outlook with so much negativity. The best news we've had, in football, has been the firing of two coaches and the hiring of one.
01-28-2013 08:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
RE: Prospects of an ocs yielded 13 ***...
Question: Are UAB fans more cursed in that we have been denied an OCS or in that the Mayan Apocalypse did not, alas, spare us from further discussion of the topic?
01-28-2013 09:17 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
The Myans.
01-28-2013 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

( Insert notes here on how we have very few 3 star commits every year anyway, so this is nothing new)
01-28-2013 09:20 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I never really worry until Blazr and Attalla starts saying there if nothing to worry about.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 09:34 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
01-28-2013 09:34 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Recruiting services cannot possibly accurately scout every high school player in the country. I'll worry less about the *'s by a guys name and more about what he does on the field when he gets here.
01-28-2013 10:38 AM
Advertisement

HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
Is this a reference to Tulane?
01-28-2013 11:05 AM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
(01-28-2013 10:38 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  Recruiting services cannot possibly accurately scout every high school player in the country. I'll worry less about the *'s by a guys name and more about what he does on the field when he gets here.

Yep. We've had this discussion before.
01-28-2013 11:18 AM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(01-28-2013 09:17 AM)blazr Wrote:  Question: Are UAB fans more cursed in that we have been denied an OCS or in that the Mayan Apocalypse did not, alas, spare us from further discussion of the topic?

You have every right not to participate in the discussion, to ignore the thread, and to believe in the Easter Bunny but you have no right to dictate what opinion I choose to voice.

When we quit feeling the affects of not having adequate facilities, lead by the lack of an ocs, I will quit getting frustrated by it.
01-28-2013 11:21 AM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(01-28-2013 11:18 AM)Uncle BLAZER Wrote:  
(01-28-2013 10:38 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  Recruiting services cannot possibly accurately scout every high school player in the country. I'll worry less about the *'s by a guys name and more about what he does on the field when he gets here.

We have rehashed several topics on this board before and will continue to do so as long as we are dealing with the same problems.

No, recruiting sites don't evaluate every prospect but there does seem to be a correlation between the number of stars and eventual production, recruiting rankings and winning, winning and increased fan support.
01-28-2013 11:29 AM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

(01-28-2013 11:29 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  
(01-28-2013 11:18 AM)Uncle BLAZER Wrote:  

We have rehashed several topics on this board before and will continue to do so as long as we are dealing with the same problems.

No, recruiting sites don't evaluate every prospect but there does seem to be a correlation between the number of stars and eventual production, recruiting rankings and winning, winning and increased fan support.

Its perfectly fine to re-hash old topics, i wasn't faulting you for that.

I was agreeing with 9911 and re-hashing my response.
01-28-2013 11:31 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Star ratings from high school are similar to ACT and SAT scores on college entrance tests. They don't GUARANTEE a certain level of performance, but they attempt to predict its likelihood. If an athlete has a 4* rating, he is MORE LIKELY to be more successful and sooner at the collegiate level than one rated with 2* or 3*. As a certain NFL first round draft choice QB has proven, ratings are NOT guarantees of success. Even master recruiters like one instate don't get it right 100% of the time in any year. What it does mean is that if you consistently sign lesser rated players, you will be less likely to win consistently if you have to compete with those who can sign the better rated players more often.

My concern is that UAB needs to know why they miss out signing the better players who "decommit" and move on to other schools we must play against each season. UAB doesn't have to tell us - the fans - what they find out, but they do need to know so they can do better next year. Football recruiting is not a sprint to one finish line. It is a steeplechase with various jumps along the way to a fall conditioning camp where game plans for the season are made. Switching commitments can be as simple to explain as "my girlfriend is going there" to something about UAB that turned them away. For the long range good of the program, UAB needs to know.
01-28-2013 11:38 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Maybe they like turtles.

01-28-2013 11:41 AM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

(01-28-2013 11:41 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Maybe they like turtles.

THIS
01-28-2013 11:58 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(01-28-2013 11:38 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  Star ratings from high school are similar to ACT and SAT scores on college entrance tests. They don't GUARANTEE a certain level of performance, but they attempt to predict its likelihood. If an athlete has a 4* rating, he is MORE LIKELY to be more successful and sooner at the collegiate level than one rated with 2* or 3*. As a certain NFL first round draft choice QB has proven, ratings are NOT guarantees of success. Even master recruiters like one instate don't get it right 100% of the time in any year. What it does mean is that if you consistently sign lesser rated players, you will be less likely to win consistently if you have to compete with those who can sign the better rated players more often.

My concern is that UAB needs to know why they miss out signing the better players who "decommit" and move on to other schools we must play against each season. UAB doesn't have to tell us - the fans - what they find out, but they do need to know so they can do better next year. Football recruiting is not a sprint to one finish line. It is a steeplechase with various jumps along the way to a fall conditioning camp where game plans for the season are made. Switching commitments can be as simple to explain as "my girlfriend is going there" to something about UAB that turned them away. For the long range good of the program, UAB needs to know.

I disagree.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/14680...l-recruits

Some players work, while others don't. I do agree, with any player, there are increased odds based on certain measurables.(40 times, height, weight, % body fat, stamina, wing span, etc.) There are also certain things you really can't measure.(game speed-by this, I mean there are certain players who may run a slow time in the 40, but can read the game well and position themselves where they need to be, intelligence, leadership, heart, effort, attitude, etc.)

Ask Chris Peterson how many 5 star recruits he needs to win against any team, any time, any place. Ask Southern Miss how many they need. Their best recruit on paper last year was a complete headcase. Ask TCU how many they needed.

You can win if you can find the right guys, and the ***** by their name doesn't mean **** except they had a good high school career and solid measurables. The bottom line is UAB is much closer in recruiting to what Southern Miss is than Southern Miss is to what Texas, LSU, FSU, Bama, etc. do. We aren't competing with those teams, so I'm not worried about what they do. And when it comes to the 2*, 3*, and no star guys, the differences can be negligible. I'm not concerned about the guys we are bringing in, I'm concerned about the apparent holes we have. I imagine come signing day we'll have all the information we need to determine if next year can be much better than last.
01-28-2013 01:11 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2013 11:21 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  
(01-28-2013 09:17 AM)blazr Wrote:  Question: Are UAB fans more cursed in that we have been denied an OCS or in that the Mayan Apocalypse did not, alas, spare us from further discussion of the topic?

You have every right not to participate in the discussion, to ignore the thread, and to believe in the Easter Bunny but you have no right to dictate what opinion I choose to voice.

When we quit feeling the affects of not having adequate facilities, lead by the lack of an ocs, I will quit getting frustrated by it.

Very eloquent. But you didn't answer my question.
01-28-2013 01:56 PM
Advertisement

thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

Hey guys. I think we need an on-campus stadium. What say you?
01-28-2013 02:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ICB Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2013 02:00 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  Hey guys. I think we need an on-campus stadium. What say you?

probably, but if we ever get close to getting BOT approval, i probably wouldn't bring it up until the meeting it actually makes the agenda. just a gut feeling on how fans may react if it doesn't actually go through.
01-28-2013 02:10 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

stars represent a base physical attribute rating. i.e. a 4 or 5* player on paper looks and is bigger and faster coming out of hs than his peers.

Nothing is for sure with those ratings and like ASW big guys sometimes just can't play ball.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 02:16 PM by Dracorex.)
01-28-2013 02:15 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-28-2013 02:00 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  Hey guys. I think we need an on-campus stadium. What say you?

We have a general agreement on the issue of an OCS. We have some disagreement on seating capacity to be started with and distribution of the seating behind the goal lines and the end zone (behind the goal lines) and sideline between the goal lines.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 01:23 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
01-28-2013 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.